National Dex Double-Mega Drifblim (Any Improvements Guys?)

Double-Mega Drifblim

:xy/Drifblim: :xy/Mamoswine: :xy/Scizor-Mega: :xy/Tapu-Koko: :xy/Charizard-Mega-X: :xy/Tsareena:

Introduction

What's up guys! Today we're using Drifblim in National Dex OU. Some things about me first is that I absolutely LOVE using niche overlooked Pokémon (usually from lower tiers) and to bring them to a higher format. I recently built a team around Drifblim and would like your guys' input on any ways my team can be improved, or how you guys would incorporate Drifblim into a team. (Here's the Pokepaste to the team - https://pokepast.es/40ede45047e01be7).

Team Building Process

:xy/Drifblim:
Ballooney (Drifblim) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Flare Boost
EVs: 8 HP / 68 Def / 248 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Here is the star of the team, Drifblim. Drifblim pacts a unique ability Flare Boost which gives this Pokémon's Special Attack's 1.5x Base Power (Shadow Ball: 80 --> 120), this allows this Pokémon to be offensively threatening. I gave this Pokémon a somewhat high Speed EV's and put the rest tp Special Attack & HP. Going over it's move set, it has Thunder Wave to lower opposing Pokémon's speed, and give them a status effect. Next up we have Hex which is it's main attacking move, when the opposing Pokémon is statuses, Hex's base power goes from 65 to 195, which is obscene (With Stab, it turns into 292.5). Next up we have a filler move Thunderbolt, and after that Hidden power [Fighting] to help attack Dark & Normal Type Pokémon. Due to the Pokémon's high HP & low Defense & Special Defense, this Pokémon can only take a couple hits (Unless Screens from Tapu-Koko is active), so be wary when using it.

:xy/MamoSwine:
Mammoth (Mamoswine) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP / 160 Atk / 160 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Rock Blast

Next up we have our Stealth Rocker. I used a standard Stealth Rocker Mamoswine, with Rock Blast, as it is very useful against a number of it's vulnerabilities (Volcarona, Charizard, etc). Next up is standard Earthquake for damage & Ice Shard for Priority, this Pokémon also has a life orb to deal as much damage as it can. It's EV's are split between Attack and Speed, with the remaining going into HP, the nature is also set to Jolly, to hopefully out-speed a lot of the meta (I didn't have time to make any sense in my EV spreads).

:xy/Scizor-Mega:
Armored Ant (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 52 Atk / 80 Def / 212 SpD
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Our first Mega Pokémon in this team is Mega-Scizor. This Pokémon, despite used many times in OU, is an amazing Pokémon, with great overall base stats and Technician (I'm assuming you all know what it does). I put some standard move sets on my Scizor-Mega, with it being U-turn, Bullet Punch, Swords Dance, and Roost. I tend to use Specially Defensive Scizor-Megas as they already have superior Attack and Defense, which decent HP. That explains my EV spread, with the majority of the EV's going to Special Defense & HP with the remaining going to Defense & Attack.

:xy/Tapu-Koko:
Rock Star (Tapu Koko) @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 32 Def / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Volt Switch
- Taunt

Realizing that most of my Bulky Offense team is lacking survivability, I decided it was best to have a screens mon (as screens are absolutely broken). Thus our alternative lead Pokémon, Tapu-Koko. This Pokémon once again has a standard move set, being both Reflect & Light Screen (Paired with it's item Light Clay to extend it's turn of effect), Volt switch, and Taunt. Since Tapu-Koko is naturally speedy, I decided it was best to invest all in to Speed to ensure that I can get screens up before anything else happens, and or to be able to taunt the opposing Pokémon to block Stealth Rocks and other shenanigans.

:xy/Charizard-Mega-X:
Smurf (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz

Here is our 2nd Mega Pokémon in our team, Charizard-Mega-X. Having 2 Mega-Pokémon on a team, while genuinely discouraged does create some nice coverage/option, whether using Mega-Scizor for longevity, or immediately using Charizard-Mega-X to early/late game sweep Pokémon if the opponent's team is not able to take it out (especially with screens up). The option to Mega evolve both Pokémon has allowed for nice plays, and even if you choose to Mega evolve Scizor, this Pokémon, even after a Dragon Dance is still devastating. Overall, I implemented a basic meta Charizard-Mega-X, with it being a Dragon Dance setup Pokémon, with coverage move Earthquake, and stab moves Dragon Claw & Flare Blitz. It is also given standard max Speed & Attack.

:xy/Tsareena:
Queen (Tsareena) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 168 HP / 236 Atk / 104 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Lastly we have Tsareena. Being another niche, often overlooked Pokémon, it is a perfect Pokémon for being Bulky & Offensive (Sorta Like Scrafty), but also having great coverage and move-pool. I felt like I needed more damage (Cause why not) and give Tsareena a Life Orb, and powerful attacks like Power Whip, Triple Axel, and a nice utility move, Knock Off. I also realized that I didn't have any way to get rid of hazards so I also gave this Pokémon Rapid Spin (Looking back this Pokémon may benefit more holding Heavy-Duty-Boots). I also wanted to build Tsareena on the more Specially Defensive side, as this team is kind of lacking it (other than Scizor-Mega).​

Hi. So uh, idk how to put this, but there's several massive flaws with this team here.

First of all, these evs seem random. You aren't explaining what you put the evs for, and if you want to use specific evs, you need to ev a mon to accomplish something (like outspeeding something, ohkoing/2hkoing something, surviving a hit, etc.)

Second, two megas does not work. You do have options, yes, but often times it means that the other pokenon will be deadweight in that match up. Base Charizard is unthreatening and while base Scizor is a little better, it's still rather weak.

And you seem very focused on using offbeat picks. While you can make an effective team around 1 offbeat mon or set (as this tier has enough effective role compressors that you can afford that,) stacking many makes a team holes more apparent (for example, while Tseerna seems effective as a rapid spinner, it actually loses to most Stealth Rockers.) This is backed up further by what seems to be a reluctance to use tried and true mons and sets, as when talking about Mega Scizor you said the following:

This Pokémon, despite used many times in OU, is an amazing Pokémon
This tells me that you see Pokémon being used often as a detriment for one reason or another, despite their high usage (usually) being a sign of how great they are.

While I can't make a full blown analysis, I do recognize a huge weakness to Ash Greninja. All that needs to happen is it predicting Tseerna to switch in and click Pulse (or not, as it lacks recovery, so it's getting worn down no matter what) and your team lacks a very sturdy Fire resist, or any sense of speed control. After a QD, and making sure Zard X is chipped, Volcarona goes to town on this team (and there's many things it can get that QD against, like Tseerna (if it's going for a full sweep it doesn't mind if it loses it's boots.) Oh, and forget about Psychinium variants. While they take more setup, Psychinium Volc + Phys Def Defog Washtom make it basically impossible to win unless your opponent plays super carelessly. And screens koko doesn't fit here, as outside of HO, screens are just defog bait (especially since you're running screens koko without taunt.)

A Driftblim team isn't impossible to build, but you'd need to support it with more effective mons. I would reccomend checking out the viability rankings and the sample teams to get a better grasp on the metagame.

As jawsome said there are tons of huge flaws and it’s doubtful that this is in any way salvageable. One way you can try to use underaged Pokémon is to Justify using them. Why did you choose this over something else that fits the same time for your team? Not just why you choose the Pokémon but why it’s better than all other Pokémon for the slot.

You don’t do this at all, you only state what the Pokémon does and why you choose it (often a bad reason)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)