Double Dash! A Smogon Doubles Event!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Credit to Zack aka Bravierus for the idea and Format from his Summer Scramble on NB, which can be found here!
Approved by Arcticblast
Co-Hosted by Pocket
Credit to Bummer for this amazing logo that is so awesome.
DOUBLE DA$H!

Well folks, it's time for yet another event! Although this time, we're not doing just another mini-tour. This time, we're going to do something a bit more fun. Introducing, The Smogon Double Dash!

This is an IRC event and will involve a points-based system, with a small tour afterward! Now, the rules are pretty simple but I'll try and get them spelled out as completely as possible here.

It's a Round-Robin style choice tournament where anyone can play anyone else in the tournament. This ends up meaning more matches overall are played, and therefore more accurate seedings are given in Top Cut. You only get to play each other player ONCE though, so play hard and play for keeps.

This will count for Doubles Leaderboard Points. The amounts are as follows:
  • 1 leaderboard point for every 10 Double Dash Points
  • 3 leaderboard points for making into the top cut
  • additional 3 points for every round a player advances in the playoffs

SIGN-UPS

There are no "signups," you just need to play a match before July 4th, 2013 @ 11:59 PM to be entered in the final rankings. You also need to play 25% of the opponents in the tournament to qualify for seeding after the Dash is over. Your "signup" is complete once you fully read and understand the format description below, play, and post results from your first match. So after you've read and fully understood the format described below, go ahead and start playing, and good luck!

You can make challenges easily through the #Doubles channel on IRC.

POINT SYSTEM
Everyone starts with 0 points. Flat rate of +5/-5 for win/loss, respectively. Bonus Points will be given to the winner equal to the number of opponents' wins. Essentially, if you beat someone with 3 wins, you will receive 8 points. If you lose to that same person though you only lose 5 points. This bonus will be changed and adjusted as the tournament goes on to accommodate for the added wins of the opponents already played. Basically you'll get bonus points for every win your opponents get, even if they get the wins after you beat them.

All point updates and changes will be done as soon as Pocket can get to it (usually sometime that day) and will be kept updated on the spreadsheet.

FORMAT AND RULES
  • Smogon Doubles Format on Showdown! This is the battle structure, not the tournament structure.
  • Round-Robin Style Pre-Playoffs with Top 4-8 Cut, depending on how many participants we get.
  • Best of 1 series for each match-up until the Top Cut, which will be Best of 3.
  • All battles will be done on Pokemon Showdown on the main server whenever possible. Alternate servers may be used to prevent spectators.
  • Post your match results IN THE THREAD, please! This will keep everything in one place, making it easier for Pocket to keep track of everything. Also, please post whether you win OR lose. This helps confirm matches and keeps track of who has played who.
  • SAVE YOUR REPLAYS. This will help just in case there is a dispute.
  • You may switch teams at any time between each match-up in the Dash. Even during the Bo3 Tour, you may switch teams between games in a set.
  • If you are challenged, you MUST accept. If someone challenges you and don't have a valid excuse to decline, you will take an Activity Loss. If this happens, the Challenged may reschedule the match to reverse the Activity Loss decision. For example, if you decline a match because you're tired or not in the mood to play, you will take the activity loss. However, you can reschedule with the same opponent, and if you win this game you will have the activity loss replaced with a win. The "1-Challenger-Per-Person" rule does not apply until an actual game is played between the two players.
  • Once you play a match against any player, regardless of who made the challenge, you can not play against them again for points.
  • You must complete at least X battles, where X equals 25% of the number of participants in the Dash, or 10 battles in all, whichever number is lower at the end of the tournament. Anyone under this threshold will not qualify for Top Cut.
  • You may battle as many people as you like, but only once per player.
  • Each win will count for bonus points. Bonus points are awarded based on the amount of wins your opponent has. If your opponent(s) increase their win total after you've initially played them (these are called Compiled Bonus Points), you'll be compensated for that every time the spreadsheet is updated. Any bonus points you'd receive initially from defeating someone will always be added as soon as Pocket reads your updates in the thread and gets around to it.
  • Once again, SAVE YOUR REPLAYS!
  • IF SOMEONE HASN'T PLAYED A DASH MATCH YET, YOU MAY CHALLENGE THEM TO A DASH MATCH, BUT YOU MUST CLARIFY IT IS A DASH CHALLENGE.

TOP CUT
Top Cut will include the Top 4-8 qualifying players at the end of the Dash section of the tournament. The Top Cut bracket will be Single Elimination. It will be done immediately following the results being posted and given four days per round. Each round will be best of three. Top Cut Seeding will be determined by points earned in the Dash. Top Cut matches are required to be played on PS! on the Main Server, unless lag or both parties decide to play on a different server. Replays must be saved and sent to myself or Pocket if I do not respond.

Edit:
TOP CUT PLAYERS ANNOUNCED:
1. Lagalag4
2. Pocket
3. Fusxfaranto
4. Audiosurfer
5. BlankZero
6. Level 51
7. Nollan

Congrats to our Top Cut Finalists!

SCHEDULE

First Match Deadline: July 4th, 2013 @ 11:59 PM July 13th, 2013

Final Match Deadline: July 11th, 2013 @ 11:59 PM July 20th, 2013

First Round Deadline: July 17th, 2013 @ 11:59 PM July 25th, 2013

Semifinals Deadline: July 29th, 2013

Finals Deadline: August 2nd, 2013 (Finals won't actually have a deadline. No one will win this whole thing by Activity.)

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
~ So I won a match against jio, he is under the alt called nicki manoj, and I am playing as Lagalaga :] It was also one of the better matches I have had in a couple days, since I really thought he had me when he got up the Trick Room ~

Lagalaga vs jio

Edit: Also, if anyone was wondering where the replay of me vs Pwnemon is, I have it right here. I kinda haxed him, so sorry for it man.

Lagalaga vs Pwnemon

Edit 2: Blank, get your ass on irc :D

~ So I won a match against jio, he is under the alt called nicki manoj, and I am playing as Lagalaga :] It was also one of the better matches I have had in a couple days, since I really thought he had me when he got up the Trick Room ~

Lagalaga vs jio
Grats on the win Laga! We would like it jio would respond as well here.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I did indeed lose to Axaj, but despite taking some hits, I came back a bit by taking home the victory against StarmanXL. A close match where Hitmontop's Wide Guard saves the day (well, my day)

Lagalaga vs StarmanXL

Edit: Again, since I don't want to be posting too much in the same thread, but I played a match against The_Unlucky_One which I won :]

Lagalaga vs The_Unlucky_One

He was under the name superwii64cube :]

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, Arcticblast will take an activity loss until you guys actually play each other

good participation, guys! We have enough challengers to have a top 4 cut :) More challengers are definitely welcome so we can hopefully do a top 8 cut (or higher!) You still got till July 4th to participate!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)