SS RU Dive - an Omastar based PU-majority balance from hell

Nat

is a Top Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion

Hello, friends. I'm here with an RMT for the first time in a while. I don't have a particularly good reason to be posting this aside from it's very fun and obviously has some goofy mons. I think it'd be cool to give others the opportunity to use it as well, so here we are. I've been relatively successful w/ it vs ru friends so I can at least vouch for its viability, despite how it looks. I saw ima use omastar in spl w9 recently and figured it could do some damage in RU as well, even without screens. As you may note, this team doesn't have an electric immunity or even a ground resist, but it nonetheless does a nice job playing against the current state of the meta. off we go:

timeless backbone (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam

The sole RU mon of the team, registeel has the task of getting them up, t-waving mons for omastar/sylveon (and to a lesser extent rose), and thirdly beating togekiss. being annoying and surviving is the name of the game with this mon. heavy slam is pretty much solely for togekiss but it's also cool for putting the hurt on mienshao if it ccs you and enters -1. thunder wave is great for potential annoyances like metagross, chandelure, volcanion, and tyrantrum beyond slowing down anything else for the breakers. i considered making this a coalossal but the spdef stat and typing are too good to pass up. counter is also an option if you really wanted to be greedy, but I don't think it's needed.

facilitate health (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

The sole NU mon of the team, specs sylv is a fantastic breaker that really doesn't have a ton of switch-ins. spdef steelix is fairly 3hkod if you get turns wrong even. the only real steel wall the annoys it greatly is registeel, which v likely is 3hkoed by mystical fire if you have to. a lot of the standard meta teams like raikou/incineroar/lix/golisopod plus whatever just fold to it, and definitely can't match the damage to it that it dishes out. decent natural bulk is always handy in a pinch, and the general coverage is great. opening up some of the bulkier spdef walls for omastar later on is a definite plus, whether it be something like lax, milotic, or registeel. being able to survive a hit or two from something like volcanion/chandelure and dish back is absolutely something that has saved me in games before as well, particularly late into them too. if earlier into the game, threatening them is enough. i would say this is the most surefire way of breaking fat/stall longterm, or punishing it once it's softened a little by registeel/omastar/rose.

the offense owner (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Transform

If sylveon is the fat punisher and main breaker of the team, then ditto is the brutal preview realization when someone loads offense that the game is probably not going to be competitive. it does more than that, but ditto in tandem with regi/avalugg/sylveon should fairly soundly crush offense within our meta. it also has the privilege of scaring out stuff like cobalion, zarude, chandelure, and other various offensive presences that are owned by themselves, but faster. predicting switches w/ ditto in the back can be super key on your end. ie if you're in as roserade vs a gastrodon or w/e and they have chandy in the back, it's fairly risk-free on your end to click ditto and then immediately be threatening. catching the big threats to the team aggressively can be fairly pivotal to your success here, depending on the sitch.

elec resist (Roserade) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

The sole PUBL mon of the team, this roserade is usually what surprises people the most after the initial shock of seeing omastar on preview. bulky rose makes it very, very fat specially. we are talking max-special attack raikou doing 11.4% with volt switch bulky. it does lots of cool stuff like lives flame+draco noivern v comfortably (takes 65 from hurricane), and still doing 45 back with chance of poison. it takes 25% from offense rose (no-LO) post black sludge, while doing 50% back. there's a ton of calcs like these, and it really does have a ton of longevity. in a pinch, it can be used to take a max spatk fire blast from chandelure, which does 85-100. most people are afraid to boomburst into a mon like registeel with toxtricity (or be revenged by omastar setup), and rose eats 2 sludge waves from specs w/o a problem. overall it's just really underrated and beats a lot 1v1.

just a stupid rock (Omastar) @ Power Herb
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Meteor Beam
- Surf
- Ice Beam

The star of the show, omastar has great coverage and can really sneak up on a lot of teams. it has much better natural bulk/typing than something like cloyster, and getting a +1 boost from meteor beam can put it over the edge at times. this coverage hits pretty much everything in the meta at +2 besides water absorb gastrodon and unaware mons, though quagsire loses to it 1v1. standard spdef curselax takes 70-82 from +3 meteor beam, and chipping it isnt hard at all. reuniclus has to rely on hitting focus blast unless they have plenty of sacks and can afford to fsight. the list goes on, and its bulk is pretty handy as well. it always sets up in the face of something like tauntless noivern, even if they have draco. cobalion is a 50/50 roll to kill, and a lot of physical mons do less, especially since most can only hit it with non-stab coverage. offensive fighters give it the business as far as physical goes, and special mons have an easier time if they get past the walls present on the team. it isn't some god tier sweeper, but in the right environment it again lays out the business. scarfers that outspeed it at +2 are certainly problematic, such as flygon/mienshao and co., though you deal with those first before clicking shell smash. you can opt to go timid if you wish to, though i found more damage more appealing. it's a fun team, after all.

ground resist (Avalugg) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Body Press
- Toxic

And lastly we have avalugg, the iced coffee table that just takes almost any physical hit you need. avalugg is great at body pressing steels, keeping them off, and living things. toxic is a neat option over twaving if it suits your purposes, and sturdy can rarely be good too. zarude, mienshao, golisopod, flygon, non-overheat incineroar, snorlax and others all hate this guy. while lax can set up on it, it forces a rest and then sylveon can pop it, especially if you predict things acutely. avalugg should almost always be one of your first party members to faint, as it's a first line of defense that like many other mons on this team, usually annoys more than can successfully annoy it. it's generally worth imo to trade body presses and stuff like registeel/lix for the resulting toxic and or other things. recover is your best friend, and it's up to you to decide how much you're willing to trade off for direct progress in those encounters.

I didn't use this anywhere relevant but some friends were kind of enough to both play me and allow me to use it as a replay. except gorex, that's for rupl lol...

This team most definitely has its own fair share of threats. ie, bulky cm mons will definitely give it a hard time if played correctly. special fire types can be quite the nuisance, though workarounds exist. sub volcanion i found to be a particular nuisance, as well as sub chandy. it has a lot of semi-ok fighting answers so i wouldnt fret stuff like mienshao and co. too hardly. it has outs vs a lot of archetypes such as offense, BO, balance, and stall, like any decent balance should. so yeah, that's about it. use it to prank your friends, or use it to prank your ru open opponents in r1. I had a lot of fun using it every time, and it feels nice to win with. s/os to the rurk ofc.

paste: https://pokepast.es/9593dbc315d6fe09

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)