Rejected - Inactive Display effectiveness for moves in battle

I just discovered Pokemon Showdown and I'm really excited to play properly, but I'm struggling with one thing:

I understand that most people here know the type effectivenesses by heart, but newer players such as myself often forget some of the less obvious ones.
On cartridge, I can see the effectiveness of all of my moves in a battle. It's incredibly handy when deciding which move to use or pokemon to switch in.

Being able to see the effectiveness of my moves as I look through my options would be invaluable - to the point where I'm struggling to play the game because I don't have that information.
This is especially important in Random battles, where I often don't even know the type of my moves, let alone whether they're effective.

Here are my suggestions:

1. On my active pokemon's move buttons, can their effectiveness be displayed? In doubles, this would either want to be the highest effectiveness (as per cartridge) or ideally, the effectiveness towards both opposing pokemon. If there's no room on the button, the mouseover information panel would be good (though slower). Effectiveness could be displayed either as the word (Super Effective) or ideally as the multiplier.

2. Perhaps the multiplier could even be displayed on the opponent's revealed inactive pokemon icons too.

3. When mousing over my inactive pokemon, seeing the multiplier next to each move in the list would allow me to assess who I should be switching in. Could we get a type icon in that list too?

These changes would allow newer players to make better decisions, without slowing the game down by checking /weak or /coverage multiple times every turn.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Not opposed to this, also do note you can use the /weak command. The usage is /weak POKEMON replace POKEMON with the pokemon you want to check its weaknesses, resistances, and immunities for.

Not opposed to this, also do note you can use the /weak command. The usage is /weak POKEMON replace POKEMON with the pokemon you want to check its weaknesses, resistances, and immunities for.
I've used /weak a bit but find it to be a slower process than having the information surfaced, especially on mobile.
Every time a new pokemon comes out, I have to type the /weak command, then quickly cross-reference that info with my current moves, then try to work out what types the moves are of my inactive pokes in case I want to switch. I'm aware that I'm wasting the other player's time due to the slow pace of battles, especially when the speed of Showdown is one of my favorite advantages over cartridge.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
In my opinion, at minimum this should be a feature for the modern generations where it naturally displays the effectiveness. It is a cartridge feature after all. It would be considered "public information".

No Effect, Not Very effective, Effective and Super Effective are a nice addition that can mainly help new people who are learning. And it's a visual confirmation anyway for everyone who's playing, which facilitates and optimizes gameplay, as well as being a mechanic that actually exists in games (and is more easier for who use mobile).

There are two options here:

(01 Implement this only from gen 7 and onwards, which is when this mechanic started to appear;

or

(02) Implement this in all generations, since we have the command /weak anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)