Defunct CAP Buff 4 - Chromera

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
My first post ever (lmk if i did something wrong):

Chromera just doesn't have the movepool/stats to play into any role. Its mid-speed and mid-spa rarely put in offensive pressure, compounded by its weak and temporary stab options. While it does have great bulk, chromera doesn't have the typing to support that. It doesnt resist entry hazards and begins racking up damage quickly because of color change. Even as a bulky offensive pokemon, it lacks offensive pressure like other mons (such as t-tar).

How about a move that changes typing whenever chromera changes typing (similar to aura wheel)? This would give chromera a strong stab option despite color changing, and even allow for some strategic offensive play. A consistent 100 BP move (perhaps with secondary effects, or even more BP) would fix chromera's offensive stab problem, while also keeping its "gimmick" as a color change user. Combined with great bulk, chromera can put on real offensive pressure, while still allowing counterplay.

thoughts?
Unfortunately creating custom moves is off the table, we used to do it in gen 4, but beyond that it's not a line we ever cross. Also Revelation Dance exists and does exactly that, it's just not in SS

Garrett

Banned deucer.
FINAL SUBMISSION - WE BURNING UP

-1 Def
-18 SpAtk
-1 SpD
+10 Spe

New Typing: Normal/Fire

+ Burn Up
- Stomping Tantrum

The new typing and speed allows Chromera to switch-in and outspeed (most notably) Kartana and Blacephalon, as well as some others slower such as Venom-E, respectively.

The coolest idea I can think of on the subject of type-changing shenanigans is offering Chromera a move that allows it to remove its Fire type at-will. I'm thinking that Normal/Fairy is too strong of a hard stop for Dragapult (with Normal/Fire it's around the same level as Tyranitar existing so Pult has to U-Turn or aggressively Hydro Pump), so Normal/Fire is my compromise. This allows it to be a Fire type which hits Fini, Pex, and Washtom but is still scared out by many offensive threats that exploit the Fire type and Heatran. Stomping Tantrum is removed to prevent a Burn Up fail into doubled-power 150 Base Power Stomping Tantrum.

This also teases at the hilarious idea of taking a Fire type attack while being in for a while and being able to use Burn Up more than once. Probably not useful, but an exciting dynamic.

Example Set:
Chromera @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Color Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Burn Up / Toxic
- Calm Mind
- Recover

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Final Submission

New Type: Dark/Normal

+ Volt Switch
+ Switcheroo
+ 5 Speed

- Blizzard
- 5 HP

Overall, this package is a very general-purpose one that aims to optimize and leverage Chromera's options by granting offensive role compression.

Unlike some submitters, I actually don't think there's a problem with enabling set variety with Chromera. If anything, I think it's a good thing. Chromera is designed in such an abstract way, mostly out of necessity. Because Color Change means we can have our matchups exploited helplessly, it means that Chromera, in a vacuum, needs versatility, and options to consistently leverage it. Pigeonholing into one specific style of set really blocks that potential and ability to truly explore its kit to find ways to either work with or mitigate the negative effects of Color Change. While we certainly can hone our focus on a specific playstyle and make it extremely viable, I don't really think it's a wholly conducive angle to take Chromera given its core limitations. Imo this was a problem from the start with going all in on setup, and I believe it's a problem we'll see with over-emphasizing any one set. At the end of the day, Color Change meaning that its defensive and offensive profile can't be consistent posits that it needs to find any other justifiable reason to be run on teams, and that comes down to leveraging versatility. I aim to explore this in my buff package.

For a framework, I believe in a way my angle can be compared to Tapu Lele, which viably runs the exact sets we're shooting to optimize with Chromera. Hell, even the calcs point toward it, with dex pointing out Chromera's Timid Boomburst exactly matches that of Tapu Lele's Modest Psychic. So, let's talk about it.

Typing:

Like many people here, I believe granting Chromera a Normal-type helps address a lot of its core problems. I won't repeat much of what I've said already, but the big things to note here are the Ghost-type immunity allowing it to more readily check deadly Ghost-type attackers and Boomburst being reinforced with a potent STAB bonus. The former gives teams incentive to run it, while the latter gives it the kick that it's sorely lacked. This lets all sorts of offensively tuned sets shine, including Recover + 3A, Calm Mind, Choice Scarf, and Choice Specs.

Normal/Dark is my choice of type. It's one among the most practical Normal-type combos at its disposal, giving Chromera's STAB Boomburst a very practical partner in STAB Dark Pulse to deter Ghost-types and pressure Steel-types more effectively. This type also is about as close as we get to having a consistent defensive typing due to Color Change allowing us to keep STAB Boomburst on Knock Off and a Ghost-type immunity maintaining a positive matchup into Ghost-types. This is vital; we can act as a Dark-type despite having Color Change.

Aside from the above reasons which others have already talked about, I wanted to also maintain the emphasis on Foul Play as an option for it, of which having STAB made a big deal for Choice Scarf sets. Having STAB on Foul Play is really important if we want to look at Choice Scarf Chromera as a setup deterrent. as it's necessary for scoring the KO into Kartana and Garchomp. Granting Chromera a spammable STAB in Boomburst already makes Choice Scarf miles more viable, but if we're being real, this was one of Choice Scarf Chromera's cooler traits and one that had potentially really practical applications on offense. Even aside from the type change, with the whole of this buff package, Choice Scarf would be made much more splashable.

While not as objectively effective as the competitor in Normal/Ghost is, that's a good thing. Normal/Dark exposes Chromera to a quadruple weakness to Body Press and a weakness to U-turn, which are both conducive drawbacks that keep its offensive potential on a leash and gives bulky offense more options into it, which I see as being necessary with STAB Boomburst at its disposal.

Stat Changes:

This one is really easy to explain. At a glance it seems arbitrary, but there is one core target I'm looking at here: Garchomp. Garchomp is a setup sweeper that famously utilizes Scale Shot, a multi-hit move that boosts its Speed at the cost of lowering defense. Because of this, revenge killing a fully boosted Garchomp is limited almost exclusively to priority and Choice Scarf Kartana. Since I want to encourage viability in Choice Scarf by strengthening role compression, the idea is simply to let Choice Scarf Chromera outspeed a +1 Garchomp so it can properly revenge kill it with Foul Play. This can also matter for other sets too, of course, and since Chromera would be losing its Poison-type, thus radically changing some matchups (namely into Tapu Lele and Rillaboom), I don't really see it as a problem at this point. This also lets it avoid awkward Speed ties with Pokemon like Victini and Zapdos.

The HP does nothing overtly significant; sure, it makes Chromera marginally less bulky and makes Final Gambits slightly more limp, but it's really tenuous. The main idea of it is to keep its BST at a flat 600.

Relatedly, the Speed and HP changes are multiples of 5 as to maintain the intent of symmetry in the stat spread. I want to respect the initial spread, and trust me when I say the difference is comically small. You would need 103, a 2 point difference, for Garchomp, by which point, why not? It's a smidge more flexibility into Nihilego, but that's it.

Move Changes:

With STAB Dark Pulse and Boomburst being so naturally strong, especially with Electric- and Water- coverage to cover some off matchups into Steel-types, I personally think Chromera is mostly fine on the wallbreaking front. I think if anything, keeping its coverage into Steel-types somewhat limited encourages inventive use of Chromera's kit, even on otherwise well-established sets. Damage-wise, Chromera is fine, so instead, I want to bolster the utility of Choice sets.

Momentum and item disruption are no brainers here, though I personally am not too crazy about Parting Shot. I think the problem with Parting Shot is mostly that it's somewhat of a waste of Chromera's power and a weird moveslot on Choice Specs sets. I can see it being justified particularly on Choice Scarf if you're searching for a consistent midground, but Dark Pulse and Switcheroo are already that imo since Dark is such an effective general-purpose attacking type, and Switcheroo is really free into bulkier structures.

This being said, I love Volt Switch the most, personally. Not only does it slam one of Chromera's most effective checks in Corviknight and scare it from healing, but being able to generate momentum simultaneously compresses the issue of both coverage and momentum into one slot, which is valuable for both variants of Choice-locked Chromera. Aside from that, it's nice, safe chip damage into Steel-types that generates momentum. This also lets Chromera continue to respect Steel-type checks like Equilibra or Ferrothorn and makes Chromera truly have to dedicate a slot in Scald to answering specific Steel-types like the aforementioned Equilibra and Heatran.

Blizzard's removal plays a lot into me aiming to alter the Garchomp and Kartana matchups. This is, again, mostly to emphasize Foul Play on Choice Scarf sets, and it ensures Chromera can't cheese it with a random moveslot even with the Speed bonus.

Speed Control

:chromera:
Chromera @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Foul Play / Dark Pulse
- Volt Switch / Dark Pulse
- Switcheroo / Volt Switch

Other Options: Aromatherapy, Final Gambit, Recover, Thunder (necessary to 2hko corv)

Wallbreaker

Chromera @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Dark Pulse
- Scald / Volt Switch
- Volt Switch / Switcheroo

Other Options: Thunderbolt

Calm Mind

Chromera @ Throat Spray / Silk Scarf
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Boomburst
- Dark Pulse
- Recover

Other Options: Taunt, Scald

Recover + 3 Attacks

Chromera @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk (if Dark Pulse)
- Boomburst
- Dark Pulse / Knock Off
- Scald / Thunderbolt
- Recover

evs can probably be very altered, this is just a basic jist of what i'm aiming for.

Final Submission

+30 HP
+15 Spa
+Ice Beam
+Flamethrower

-15 Atk
-30 Speed
-Final Gambit
-Scald

New statline: 115 / 70 / 115 / 130 / 100 / 70 (BST: 600)

This package aims to shift Chromera into an immediately stronger and bulkier set-up sweeper. Its higher bulk and special attack give it more opportunities to play around the Dragons and Ghosts in the tier, namely Dragapult and Pajantom.

The addition of Ice Beam specifically allows for consistent counterplay against Dragon types without needing to resort to the inaccurate Blizzard. Flamethrower allows Chromera to handle Steel types not named Heatran, without threatening Tyranitar (like Lava Plume and Scald would)

The removal of Final Gambit is to prevent Chromera from becoming too unwieldy with its HP buff. The removal of Scald is to secure Heatran and Tyranitar as counters. The Attack reduction is purely to keep Chromera's BST at 600, while the Speed drop is to balance Chromera's impressive bulk and Special Attack stat.

Chromera @ Leftovers
Level: 100
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpA
- Calm Mind
- Boomburst/Flamethrower
- Ice Beam/Flamethrower
- Recover

Some benchmarks of this set:

• Ice Beam 2HKOs Pajantom
  • Flamethrower 2HKOs 3 attacks Melmetal and CB melmetal
  • Flamethrower 3HKOs protect Melmetal
  • 2HKOs Ferrothorn with Flamethrower
  • +1 Sp. Attack allows Ice Beam to OHKO Dragapult
  • +1 Sp. Atk OHKOs Ferrothorn with Flamethrower
  • +1 2HKOs Corviknight with Flamethrower

• Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor does not 2HKO (assuming resisted or neutral hit into Super effective hit)
  • Specs Shadow Ball does not 2HKO after using Calm Mind (resisted/neutral into SE)
  • Banded Pajantom's Spirit Shackle does not 2HKO if Chromera is still Dark type

• 56 SpA Chromera Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pajantom: 156-184 (50.4 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +1 56 SpA Chromera Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 320-378 (100.9 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 56 SpA Chromera Flamethrower vs. 40 HP / 104 SpD Melmetal: 210-248 (49.8 - 58.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
  • 56 SpA Chromera Flamethrower vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Melmetal: 242-286 (57.7 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 56 SpA Chromera Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 300-356 (85.2 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
  • +1 56 SpA Chromera Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 448-528 (127.2 - 150%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • +1 56 SpA Chromera Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 244 SpD Melmetal: 264-312 (64.2 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • +1 56 SpA Chromera Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Corviknight: 264-312 (66 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chromera: 163-193 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (neutral hit)
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Chromera: 218-260 (50.2 - 59.9%) -- 83.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (After becoming Ghost Type)
  • 252 Atk Choice Band Pajantom Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Chromera: 67-80 (15.4 - 18.4%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 Atk Choice Band Pajantom Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Chromera: 270-320 (62.2 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Yo, three orders of business.

1) After consulting with the mods, and checking roak's buff, I've decided to allow a second final sub buff package per person.
2) I'd really appreciate talking about some of your favorites among other's buff packages (this is the most effective way for you to influence the slate)
3) 24 hour(ish) warning.

2) I'd really appreciate talking about some of your favorites among other's buff packages (this is the most effective way for you to influence the slate)
I'd say Tommaniacal's package is probably my favorite, and it's probably the cleanest too. It doesn't bother with switching into a Normal type because a Sp. Attack buff gets the job done just as well, in fact it's probably even better since it's boosting all of its offensive moves instead of one and its power can't be as easily taken away by Color Change. Combine that with coverage to hit Steel types and I think it's arguably the most effective buff package in my opinion. The only thing I'd say is if you're gonna get rid of Scald, maybe have Lava Plume over Flamethrower because I think Chromera values high burn chances so that its coverage has more clickability behind it and isn't just simply coverage. But that's really more of a nitpick than anything, and I think Flamethrower can work.

I also like Amamama's package, Chromera really wants have a quicker pace, and this package does exactly that. It may not add coverage for Steel types, but it's getting pretty big buffs to its power, as well as a Speed boost, so I think it's fine.

The last one I'll mention is boo836's package, because it is the only one that goes for Normal/Fairy. I've wanted a Normal/Fairy CAP this entire generation, and it works perfectly on a Color Change mon. It completely blocks out Dragapult while giving it STAB Boomburst, which I think is an amazing combination. I think -15 Sp. Attack might be a tad much, but I think it's probably fine.

My Top 3 in order I would say is Tommaniacal > Amamama > boo836

EDIT: After some thought I do kinda worry Amamama's is a tad too strong, basically a bulky Voodoom. I think reverting the Sp. Attack back to 115 would help personally.

Last edited:
Out of all of the buffs, Snake's is probably the most sensible out of the Normal-types so far. Theres a lot of arbitrary additions of coverages in the other submission, either unnecessary buffing or shuffling of answers without great justification. There's no reason to slap better coverage onto this thing, which already has enough coverage. The set which I expect to be the most dangerous for a Normal/Dark Chromera is the non-scarfed variants, hitting like a truck from +0 and finding a ton of chances to get shit done. Between Boomburst, Knock Off and Calm Mind it seems like there's no truly safe answer and you'll always be making some kind of progress.
I think Switcheroo is overkill to be honest, though. Recover/Switcheroo/Boomburst/Dark-move is quite the monster- Switcheroo is just an unnecessary bonus free cripple when slapped onto a mon with such a killer nuke and the ability to work cleanly with 3 slots. Unlike something like Victini, you have the movepool to just pivot into a long-lasting set that will survive the rest of the match after Tricking away a Choice item. IF Switcheroo is a part of the deal, then Choiced version just seem like complete no-brainer pick.

Also, Amamamas is a reasonable solution that makes sense. Increased offensive threat can be done with +spa and + speed and a readjustment of stats works here- meanwhile, nasty plot instead of cm is also a faster ramping threat that helps with Chromera's negative momentum. That's been the consensus when it comes to tackling its issues- though after the negative reaction to Voodoom I'm wondering if this is enough of a buff, since it seems to mirror Voodoom a bit.

Last edited:
Final Submission

New Type: Normal/Poison
+Ice Beam
+Switcheroo
+5 Speed
-5 Attack

I picked Normal/Poison because of STAB Boomburst, being able to come into toxic, and due to the typing not being as strong for Chromera as Dark/Normal and Normal/Fairy. The mon is close to viability anyway. Ice Beam and the speed increase is to have an accurate way to outspeed and OHKO Garchomp and Pajantom (~44% chance w/rocks for specs set). Switcheroo is added for a one-time answer for specially defensive steels. I see this being fair since Chromera with these changes will really like to keep its item. The attack reduction is to keep its 600 BST.

252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pajantom: 248-292 (80.2 - 94.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Doing a minor feedback post on packages that could be improved with very small nudges. You obviously don't have to take this feedback into account if you don't want to.

Final Submission

+ Normal type
+ Flamethrower
- Dark type
- Blizzard
Personally I feel this spread lacks a "killer app" in the same way that the Normal/Dark competition does. It just sorta feels like missing an element as compared to its competition, eg how the Normal/Dark spreads heavily imply choiced sets through Switcheroo, or how Ama's/Tomma's spreads both have major stat spreads that focus them in one direction. This ain't me saying give it speed, or like give it switcheroo, but the package just feels like it needs one more defining element.

Final Submission

Keep Type

+ Nasty Plot
+ Ice Beam
+ 15 Special Attack
+ 15 Speed
- 15 Atk
- 15 def
While this spread is great as a high power option, it feels like it may have a bit too much between NP, 15 Speed, and 15 SpA. Its still a very unique spread in the field, but also feels like it might be better choosing between the spA and NP, rather than having both. Still, its a good buff package.

Final Submission:

New typing: Normal/Fairy
+ Switcheroo
+ Parting Shot
+ Moonblast
+ 15 Speed
- 15 Special Attack
- Scald
This spread simply cannot damage any specially defensive steel. Specially defensive steel-types are among the most common mons in CAP, and while it does have Switcheroo and Parting shot to help that, there's only so far that can carry you, especially given that it also reduces the mon's power. My feedback is that ya probably overnerfed it to account for the typing change, and a way to touch steels is likely helpful here.

The Dark/Normals are all relatively good. I'll have to think a lot on which of these I select (if not more than one).

The Poison/Darks are also all similarly relatively diverse, and I'll have to think a fair bit on these. Tomma's spread is relatively unique in the field, and I'll have to do calcs to try to evaluate its power level. LBN's submission is a bit hard to think about, and I'll have to give it more thought.

Based your buff package prolly wants flamethrower lol.

Brambane's is very unique, gonna have to think about the tradeoff between wisp and CM in terms of breaking and stallbreaking potential.

As a reminder you can submit a second package if you want. I'd like to see more stuff that sorta transforms its gameplan, and especially more packages that maintain its base typing.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Final Submission 2

+ Cosmic Power
+ Earth Power
+ Nasty Plot
+ 5 Speed

- Blizzard
- 5 Attack

I personally believe a retype to Normal/Dark is one of the better directions to take Chromera, however, leveraging setup options are another really great angle that I feel is the way to go if we want to maintain Chromera's original typing. Nasty Plot is one great idea, but I'd like to offer a different approach that will not only aid potential setup, but keeps true to the original goal of working with Color Change as opposed to working in spite of it for the diehard Chromera purists out there.

Much like in my first submission, my philosophy is centered around the idea of building incentive through role compression and emphasizing important tools/matchups. I want to incentivize Chromera users to dig into its kit to find ways to extract value from Color Change with a variety of possible sets. However, this time, we're gonna try something a little more central.

Stat Changes

The reason I chose to give it a bit more Speed is quite literally for the exact same reason as last time: Garchomp. Even without STAB Boomburst to work with, having a bit of extra Speed to follow up on a Scale Shot-boosted Garchomp with a Choice Scarf STAB Foul Play is super conducive. There's another really fun reason I like outspeeding Garchomp and it actually has to do with my move additions, so I'll save that for the move section. Of course, this comes with the innate benefits of avoiding Speed ties with other base 100s in Pokemon like Victini or Zapdos. We also outspeed Nihilego, which is a bit more conducive for this variant of Chromera specifically since we're looking at lucrative setup moreso than last time.

I removed 5 Attack this time because the lack of momentum does indirectly incentivize Final Gambit a little more, and this set makes less use of Knock Off as an offensive option. Though, the primary reason, much like with my first submission, is to respect Chromera's flat 600 BST. We're also working in multiples of 5 to respect the initial stat submitter's partial goal of stat symmetry.

Move Changes

This is where things get spicy, so let's start talking about it.

First, the elephant in the room: Cosmic Power. This is a completely new move in the context of this rebuff discussion and one that I'm sure you're probably wondering about the implications of. To keep it short: it is probably the best option we can grant Chromera that lets it consistently work with Color Change. Boosting both defenses is highly conducive primarily because it gives Chromera the ability to actively respond to super effective attack chains without being immediately forced out. This is a pretty big deal because part of Chromera's problem was that taking a super effective move was never worth it or realistic in terms of its long-term plan. A follow-up attack could easily just blow it out of the water or deal critical damage, and the most it could do in return is throw off a limp Boomburst.

Cosmic Power remedies this by making it so these chains are very rarely capable of instantly shutting it down, which mitigates the long-term exploitability of Color Change and lets its already-established strengths shine more consistently for teams to make use of. Cosmic Power packs blatantly fantastic synergy with Dark/Poison, giving it only one weakness to start and often-times, one critical turn to use Cosmic Power once and becoming resilient enough to keep adding on boosts. With this new highly synergistic setup option, Chromera's kit and staying power is opened up a lot more. It can afford a Weakness Policy, for example, which is a super big deal for setup variants, leverages usage of Calm Mind, and enables even more like Taunt, Toxic, and Toxic Spikes. Though, Color Change still remains a core weak point, and 4MSS is one more than ever if it wants to be able to stave off Toxic or run coverage.

Earth Power rounds this off really nicely, providing moveslot compression that blasts Steel-types in Heatran and Melmetal, but maintains Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Equilibra as more awkward matchups. Unlike its competitor in Flamethrower, this is also an option that not only hurts a good amount of Steel-types, but also blasts Toxapex, which otherwise could deter usage of Cosmic Power-attacking sets by stalling it with Regenerator. However, probably one of my favorite interactions that go well with Earth Power specifically is how often it will likely obtain a Ground-type due to Ground- being Dark/Poison's core weakness and a very frequent coverage type. Especially into Pokemon like Garchomp which a fast Cosmic Power can help leverage Chromera into, this can be a really cool option that not only addresses the issue of coverage, but also is conducive with frequent interactions this version of Chromera would have. The primary reason is coverage compression, but I thought that was worth mentioning too.

Nasty Plot is added both as a way to make sweeping more autonomous, and as a natural complement to Cosmic Power leveraging it the ability to really accrue boosts. This makes repeated setup more feasible (especially with Cosmic Power) and generally more explosive. It's obviously good on its own, but compared to Acid Armor + Calm Mind's +2 Def +1 SpA +1 SpDef, you get +1 Def +2 SpA +1 SpD over two turns, which is a dual setup pipeline that is far more effective for a Pokemon lacking in immediate power like Chromera.

Blizzard is removed to avoid cheesing the Garchomp matchup and, again, to emphasize STAB Foul Play on Choice Scarf sets. However, this removal is a little more important here as to add depth to the Garchomp matchup with the combo of Cosmic Power + Color Change on non-Choice-locked sets.

Speed Control

Chromera @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Foul Play
- Dark Pulse / Boomburst
- Boomburst / Earth Power
- Switcheroo

Other Options: Final Gambit, Sludge Bomb, Aromatherapy, Recover

Wallbreaker

Chromera @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt / Scald / Sludge Bomb

Weakness Policy Attacker

Chromera @ Weakness Policy
Timid Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Boomburst / Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Recover

Other Options: Thunderbolt, Scald

Setup Sweeper

Chromera @ Leftovers / Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Cosmic Power / Boomburst / Earth Power
- Dark Pulse
- Recover

Other Options: Earth Power, Scald, Taunt

Stallbreaker

Chromera @ Leftovers / Weakness Policy
Timid Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Taunt
- Earth Power / Dark Pulse / Scald
- Recover

Other Options: Toxic, Nasty Plot, Calm Mind

Defensive

Chromera @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Toxic / Knock Off
- Scald
- Recover

Other Options: Aromatherapy, Toxic Spikes

Last edited:
Final Submission:
New Typing:

Normal

+Aura sphere
+Earth Power

Stat Changes:
-15 SpA
-10 Def
-10 Atk

+35 Spdef

New Stats: 85/75/105/100/135/100

This package makes it hit hard with boomburst while having a way to hit all the major steels in the tier(namely Heatran, Equilibra, and Ferrothorn).

Strengths:
Its new move Aura Sphere allows it to deal with steels more effectively. While Bulletproof Libra is immune to it, Earth Power allows for Chromera to adapt against it. Earth power also helps prevent roost users like Zapdos and Venomicon-epilogue from healing.
The normal typing helps give Chromera its initial stab boomburst. It also makes it immune to shadow ball which helps switching in on dragapult. Its higher sp def allows it to tank Magma Storm and Tapu Lele's psychics. it's also able to barely live a combo of flash cannon and earth power from an uninvested equilibra at full hp most of the time.

252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Chromera: 127-150 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO after trapping damage
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Chromera in Psychic Terrain: 148-175 (47.5 - 56.2%) -- 82.8% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Equilibra Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Chromera: 85-102 (27.2 - 32.6%)
0 SpA Equilibra Earth Power vs 70% 4 HP / 0 SpD Chromera: 192-228 (61.5 - 73%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
Its offensive capabilities is also something to not scoff at.
252 SpA STAB Chromera Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 208-246 (54.3 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA STAB Chromera Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Venomicon-Epilogue: 219-258 (70.4 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Chromera Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 202-238 (52.3 - 61.6%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Chromera Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Ferrothorn: 176-208 (50 - 59%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Weaknesses:
Its lower phys defense makes it faint or take huge chunks of dmg from the likes of Hawlucha, Weavile, Saharaja, etc.
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chromera: 270-318 (86.8 - 102.2%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO252+ Atk Hawlucha Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chromera: 326-386 (104.8 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO+2 252 Atk Saharaja Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chromera: 282-333 (90.6 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
The speed debuff makes it so it gets outspeed by urshifu rapid and speed ties with tapu lele.

Sets:
Setup Sweeper @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Boomburst
- Aura Sphere / Earth Power
- Recover / Taunt / Aromatherapy.

Its defensive ultilities allows it to be more flexible with its options. Taunt helps fight against status users like Chansey and improve its matchup more against ferrothorn.

Boomburst go brrr @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Earth Power
- Aura Sphere
- Thunder

It opts to do massive dmg and get more out of its stab boomburst before losing it. This set also rewards predicts with thunder for arghonaut, Tornadus, etc.

Any thoughts on this? This was my first big post i made so I'm sorry if it's scuffed.

Last edited:

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Short feedback post. I like snakes package the most. Really value slim and focused buff packages for this, too much added fluff is just going to add more onto the ever compounding mera headache I feel. Other Dark/Normal subs are fine ig but I don't really care for playing the 'what coverage do we want' minigame at this point and some do very minor stat rearrangements that feel rather superfluous in the grand scheme.

Don't care for many of the buffs that don't change mera's typing, or change it to something other than Dark/Normal, as most of them are not very focused, overly convoluted or taking away too much for what they're giving in return. Out of these I would say Amamamas has the most legs to stand on, but feels a tad too much as it currently stands. I don't think we need to go with all of 130/115 offenses + NP and expanded coverage to push mera into the realm of viability here.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

+No Retreat
+Stored Power
+Aura Sphere
+Ice Beam

-Final Gambit
-Scald

I don't think this one requires much explanation; No Retreat > Calm Mind. The higher Speed granted by No Retreat makes Chromera less a liability against faster threats that can take advantage of changing its types and revenge-killers. Stored Power has inherent synergy with No Retreat, and can be combined with Substitute and Recover to beat Arghonaut 1v1 it exchange for losing to Dark-types. Aura Sphere gives Chromera an option to hit Tyranitar, Heatran, and Ferrothorn much harder than Boomburst. Ice Beam makes BoltBeam an option again. Scald is removed deny burns + No Retreat set up, keep Chromera honest vs Libra, and also forcing it to pick its coverage a bit more carefully than just Scald+Boomburst. Final Gambit would be removed to add No Retreat as its Fighting-type level up move, also because Final Gambit sets are an additional level on unpredictability that Chromera doesn't need. I don't think anyone will miss that set lol.

Sets:

Chromera @ Silk Scarf / Magnet
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
- No Retreat
- Recover
- Boomburst / Thunder / Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse / Ice Beam / Aura Sphere

Silk Scarf Boomburst will just barely 2HKO the standard Arghonaut and Toxapex after Spikes and Stealth Rock, which is why Magnet Thunder(bolt) is a very valid option. With Magnet, these moves shred the most common phazers in the metagame. Dark Pulse hits Ghost-types immune to Boomburst and sometimes has STAB, Ice Beam is coverage, and Aura Sphere is an option to make Chromera walled by Ghosts with Boomburst but able to muscle through Tyranitar easier. You could potentially forgo Recover to slot Aura Sphere on a more aggressive version of this set to specifically lure Tyranitar.

Chromera @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 68 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- No Retreat
- Recover
- Dark Pulse / Stored Power

An actual deathball Chromera, this one says "screw Color Change, I have No Retreat."

Chromera @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Thunder / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Probably the best version of CM Chromera for the current metagame.

Last edited:
Long feedback post.

This is all a surprise—the direction the buff process has taken. I do not usually keep up with these discussions, but I was one of the most vocal advocates of Boomburst for CAP29 alongside Birkal. For that reason, it feels like I would be remiss not to comment on the future of Chromera. I'll address the submittals I read one by one, and I'll post my own thoughts if I'm up to it at the end.

Final Submission
New typing: Dark/Normal
+ Switcheroo
+ Flamethrower
- Scald
Final Submission
New typing: Dark/Normal
+ Earth Power
- Blizzard
Final Submission
+ Switcheroo
Final Submission
+ Volt Switch
+ Switcheroo
+ 5 Speed
- Blizzard
- 5 HP
So these are the Dark/Normal contenders, spearheading the prospect of a retype for Chromera. Of these, I think ausma best appreciates what the Normal type brings to the table. The entire reason we pushed Boomburst in the first place was to spend our rather backloaded power budget on a move that would let CAP29 deal damage independent from STAB. These submittals that emphasize Normal as an EZ Pass to instant damage on Choice sets seem to be losing sight of that point and overlooking less drastic options. The real benefit of adding Normal is letting Chromera switch in on Ghost-types and subsequently threaten them or gain a free CM. ausma's submittal does a good job of leveraging the offensive benefits of Dark STAB with a little extra speed and without becoming absorbed in "Boomburst go brrrrt"—it has my vote out of the four. snake_rattler's more straightforward proposal is a second.

Final Submission:
New typing: Normal/Fairy
+ Switcheroo
+ Parting Shot
+ Moonblast
+ 15 Speed
- 15 Special Attack
- Scald
Not a fan. The argument here is that Moonblast is more effective STAB than Dark Pulse; ergo, Chromera should be made a type that optimizes for Moonblast. Also, SpA is cut presumably so it isn't too exploitative. This strikes me as a type change purely for the sake of a type change (or just to screw with TTar). It maximizes Chromera's Turn 1 power at the expense of its entire MO as a sweeper, and this raises my biggest issue with the retype discussion in general. If you feel the Color Change Pokémon is too weak out of the gate, why is your solution to rewrite its (mutable) STAB combination instead of just boosting its attacking stat? The purpose of Boomburst was giving CAP29 consistent damage, regardless of its type at any given time. Staking Chromera's success on interactions that disallow Color Change—e.g. firing the game's best moves with instant-STAB or bouncing out before a hit can connect—is contrary to the spirit of the project.

FINAL SUBMISSION - WE BURNING UP
-1 Def
-18 SpAtk
-1 SpD
+10 Spe
New Typing: Normal/Fire
+ Burn Up
- Stomping Tantrum
As above. The enthusiasm is endearing, but this just isn't CAP29 (which was incidentally voted to be a paint lion, not a nuclear fireball).

Final Submission
+ Normal type
+ Heat Wave
+ Parting Shot
- Dark type
- Blizzard
Kind of inoffensive, but come on. Removing Blizzard for Dragapult? I don't particularly like this submittal because it revels in the offensive applications of the Normal type rather than its life-saving interaction with Ghosts, Choiced or otherwise. As much as I love the Poison type as it applies to Chromera, I feel like the Dark/Normal submittals stay truer to CAP29's goal of leveraging Color Change in the face of bastards who whiff against its initial type combination or disadvantage themselves on the first hit.

Final Submission
Keep Type

+ Nasty Plot
+ Ice Beam
+ 15 Special Attack
+ 15 Speed
- 15 Atk
- 15 def
I like it. The only thing I'm not completely sold on is the rather substantial speed upgrade, but this submittal takes a two-pronged approach to improving Chromera's DPS. The +15 SpA goes a good way towards improving Chromera's Turn 1 damage in lieu of Normal STAB, and Nasty Plot allows it to snowball faster when it does gain an opening. Ice Beam is fine. Hitting Garchomp is fine. It's just outspeeding +0 Garchomp with Ice coverage that puts me on edge a little. This one should absolutely make it to the slate, seeing as it's somehow one of the most conservative items thus far.

FINAL SUBMISSION
+25 ATK
+2 SPD
-27 SP. ATK
+Parting Shot
+Switcheroo
+Swords Dance
+Flame Charge
+High Horsepower
-Final Gambit
Wow. I don't completely know what to say about this one. The stat changes are radical, but going physical definitely compensates for the meagerness of Dark Pulse and Sludge Whatever. My only worry is that this proposal may go a little too far in the opposite direction, turning Boomburst into something borderline unusable and—like some of the Normal retypes—marrying Chromera too much to its initial STAB combination. Like, I agree that turbo-Boomburst and anti-Steel ordnance should not co-exist on this CAP, but I'd much rather we kept Boomburst alive than lean into STABs plus Ground coverage. Interesting enough to make the slate at least.

WIP
+30 HP
+15 Spa
+Ice Beam
+Flamethrower
-15 Atk
-30 Speed
-Final Gambit
-Scald
Probably the safest item thus far, and I hope to see it as a final submission soon. This one keeps the best parts of Amamama's proposal while also trimming some fat in the move department. It's not my favorite, but it keeps sight of what's important.

WIP
New Typing:
Normal
+Aura sphere
+Earth Power
Stat Changes:
-15 SpA
-10 Def
-5 Atk
-5 Speed
+35 Spdef
With all respect, this is everything I don't like on one platter. Selling long-term damage output for a one-and-done Boomburst, adding moves just to make TTar and Heatran extra unsafe, dispensing with all the immunities Chromera had going for it before—together it amounts to something irreconcilable with CAP29. Otherwise, it's pretty similar to boo836's proposal above. What I said there applies here.

Final Submission 2
+ Cosmic Power
+ Earth Power
+ Nasty Plot
+ 5 Speed
- Blizzard
- 5 HP
Final Submission
+Quiver Dance
+Stored Power
+Aura Sphere
+Ice Beam

-First Impression
-Scald
Holy Moses, they just keep coming. I'd like to finish this post already, so I'll be addressing these submissions both in one go. ausma's Cosmic Power proposal feels fine. It gains some speed but relies on Foul Play to handle Garchomp (sensible in absence of Normal STAB). Earth Power is dicey, but otherwise it's in perfect agreement with what CAP29 was intended to be. Brambane's QD proposal is also nice. Stored Power is a little crazy because I'm pretty sure it beats Equilibra due to Color Change even if Bulletproof no-sells Aura Sphere. I'm especially curious what everyone else thinks of that.

252+ SpA Equilibra Earth Power vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Chromera (Dark/Poison): 206-246 (55 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Equilibra Earth Power vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Chromera (Ground): 103-123 (27.5 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ SpA Equilibra Earth Power vs. +2 252 HP / 0 SpD Chromera (Dark/Poison): 156-186 (41.7 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Equilibra Earth Power vs. +2 252 HP / 0 SpD Chromera (Ground): 78-93 (20.8 - 24.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
+2 68+ SpA Chromera Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Equilibra: 114-135 (27.9 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+3 68+ SpA Chromera Stored Power (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Equilibra: 204-240 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So! quziel asked for talk of favorites. With all of that said, here are the ones I wouldn't mind seeing on the slate.

Last edited:
Short post, but I personally like ausma’s package most. (Hey, that rhymes!) I’m a fan of making it Dark/Normal generally, given how it has complimentary (if temporary) STABs and solidifies matchups into the likes of Dragapult. More importantly, I feel that they have the best sense of what Chromera needs; Color Change means that it will never have a consistent offensive or defensive power level, and so the best way to encourage viability is to open the door for many various sets to blossom. I really like Volt Switch as an option for Chromera to pivot, as it simultaneously maintains momentum and serves as coverage against the likes of Corviknight and other Flying-types, especially if Chromera has already had its type changed (Boomburst being 140 while Volt Switch effectively being 160 against Flying-types). Chromera even has access to Scald to dissuade Ground-types from coming in, at least on non-choicef sets. The slightly improved speed tier is also appreciated. All in all, ausma has my vote. Snake’s proposal is probably my second favorite, given its simplicity. Switcheroo just makes sense to have on Chromera, and I’m glad both of these proposals include that.

Note: to be clear I’m talking ausma’s Dark/Normal submission with Volt Switch and not their Cosmic Power submission.

Last edited:
This spread simply cannot damage any specially defensive steel. Specially defensive steel-types are among the most common mons in CAP, and while it does have Switcheroo and Parting shot to help that, there's only so far that can carry you, especially given that it also reduces the mon's power. My feedback is that ya probably overnerfed it to account for the typing change, and a way to touch steels is likely helpful here.
I nerfed it specifically so it can't break past specially defensive Steels (which was why I focused on them and Glowking in the calls), because Specs Boomburst at 115 Special Attack is just way too strong for anything besides the strongest Steels to deal with, which is also why I removed Scald. With Modest and 115 Speed, you are guaranteed a 2HKO on Melmetal and you're still breaking past base 100 speed while retaining slightly more bulk as Venomicon-P. Against physically defensive Ferrothorn, you have a 46% chance to 2HKO with Spikes up. Against AV Glowking, it's a guaranteed 2HKO with rocks.

IMO Lele is a good ceiling for the sort of damage output neutral hits should put out, and I don't think we should try to surpass that.

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Final Submission
+Switcheroo
+Parting Shot
+20 Speed
-10 HP
-10 Attack

quz wants more subs (particularly ones that aren't type changes) so here's this last minute rush-job. I liked ama's idea of a significant speed increase so I came up with this. This buff leans into Choice item like many others do but focuses more on giving Mera a significantly higher Speed tier to work with. The higher Speed gives it a deal more flexibility in it's moveslots (such as not needing to use Scarf with Foul Play to check the likes of Cawm), and reduces the amount of interacting you'll need to do with Color Change on average. I took points out of HP to weaken Final Gambit significantly because I don't think we need a 120 speed gambit mon around and it's unlikely to be used with 75, also lowering Mera's overall bulk so it's not as difficult to revenge for slower teams. Debated on coverage additions to lighten 4mss but as I said previously I don't like the coverage minigame for this thing.

Last edited:
Final Submission 2
New Typing: Normal/Steel
+20 HP
+10 Speed
+15 Attack
+Night Shade
+Will-o-Wisp
+Flash Cannon
+Switcheroo
+Meteor Mash
+Swords Dance
+Aura Sphere
+High Jump Kick
+Parting Shot
-30 Special Attack
-15 Special Defense

Reasoning:

Reworking Chromera into a sort of fast Steel-type physical tank/pivot/stallbreaker is a wild change, but it's got the most resistances, 2 immunities, and is capable of firing off fast burns. IMO this is a really cool way to take advantage of Color Change as a more defensive Pokemon. 105/85 isn't stellar special bulk, but it's still pretty strong and turns Chromera into a neat Lele check that only fears Focus Blast. 110 Speed outspeeds Blacephalon and Kartana, meaning Chromera could feasibly threaten them both with Knock Off/High Jump Kick

Also, historically lots of pigments and inks were metallic, so Steel really works as far as flavour goes.

Edit:

Not a fan. The argument here is that Moonblast is more effective STAB than Dark Pulse; ergo, Chromera should be made a type that optimizes for Moonblast. Also, SpA is cut presumably so it isn't too exploitative. This strikes me as a type change purely for the sake of a type change (or just to screw with TTar). It maximizes Chromera's Turn 1 power at the expense of its entire MO as a sweeper, and this raises my biggest issue with the retype discussion in general. If you feel the Color Change Pokémon is too weak out of the gate, why is your solution to rewrite its (mutable) STAB combination instead of just boosting its attacking stat? The purpose of Boomburst was giving CAP29 consistent damage, regardless of its type at any given time. Staking Chromera's success on interactions that disallow Color Change—e.g. firing the game's best moves with instant-STAB or bouncing out before a hit can connect—is contrary to the spirit of the project.

I feel like you missed the point of giving it Fairy typing. It's not for a better STAB in Moonblast, it's for the Dragon immunity and turning one of the strongest Pokemon in the metagame (Dragapult, and to a lesser extent Pajantom) into a momentum sink if it doesn't U-Turn out immediately. Fairy also has important resistances AND it turns Chromera into a check for Clefable. Offensively IMO it's a much stronger choice than Normal/Dark because Dark Pulse is such a weak STAB and doesn't offer much in the way of coverage outside of Ghosts, which already struggle against Normera.

The submission I like most is Brambane's. Normal/Ghost makes the most out of immunities, allowing Chromera to enter the field as much as possible and click Boomburst. Ghost is also a much better offensive type than Dark and turns Normera into a check for itself. CAP needs better Ghosts and Brambane's Normera would be extremely interesting. My one issue is that it's too slow for something that wants to check Ghost-types like Pajantom and Blace

Last edited:

quziel

I am the Scientist now
Options:
+ Switcheroo
There were a lot of Dark/Normal submissions, and choosing between them was honestly quite difficult. I ended up going with snake's due to community feedback, and the simplicity of the buff overall is a huge positive for it. This leans more into a specs/scarf set than current mera thanks to having a significantly stronger turn 1 click, and switcheroo, and initial Dark-stab is a great tool for forcing damage onto steels. While the 4x weakness to Body Press (and other fighting moves) is definitely a drawback, its one that the power increase of this submission definitely justifies.

Final Submission

New type: Normal/Ghost
+Trick
+Will-o-wisp
-Calm Mind
-Scald
Perhaps the weirdest option submitted, Brambane's Normal/Ghost chromera shifts us into a stallbreaking/specs direction that's sorta reminiscent to earlier SS Hexpult sets. The typing ensures that we can dodge Color Change for afair while given our list of immunities, especially into a lot of common choiced mons, and Wisp is a relatively high power click into a number of prospective switchins. That said, removing Calm Mind does imply a bit of a paradigm shift.

Final Submission

Keep Type

+ Nasty Plot
+ Ice Beam
+ 15 Speed
- 15 def
Along with snake's submission, Amamama's is one of the most vouched for in this thread atm, and its not hard to see why. This keeps our current typing, and shifts us into a far more offensive direction with Nasty Plot and a significant speed increase. Ice Beam is added back, allowing for either Boomburst + Dark Pulse or Ice Beam + Tbolt sets, which adds a lot of ambiguity to setup sets, which is definitely appreciated. The speed increase also lets us leverage our bulk and typing better into Kartana, Astrolotl, and Blacephalon better.

Final Submission

New Type: Normal/Poison
+Ice Beam
+Switcheroo
+5 Speed
-5 Attack
Honestly it was very hard to choose between this and brown4side's submission, but ended up going for mystery duck's Normal/Poison submission as I felt that the minor speed increase was worth more to our viability than parting shot, in the presence of switcheroo. The choice of Ice Beam vs Heat Wave was also a hard choice, but overall just felt that mystery was a bit more relevant to Chromera's viability. Normal/Poison is definitely an interesting typing for us, preserving our existing Toxic immunity, and giving a very hard hitting turn 1 click in STAB boomburst, and focuses more on coverage as compared to Normal/Dark's stabs.

Final Submission

+30 HP
+15 Spa
+Ice Beam
+Flamethrower

-15 Atk
-30 Speed
-Final Gambit
-Scald
Another relatively different spread, this one preserves our current typing, preserves our current role, and provides very major buffs to both bulk and power at the cost of reducing our speed by a large amount. The switch to Flamethrower over Scald is relatively immaterial, and changes us from being walled by Ferro to being walled by Heatran, which is definitely valid for a slower spread. Overall this leans very hard into the tankier aspects of the mon, though it completely removes choice scarf as an option, despite making Specs a bit better.

Slate:
Package 1 by snake_rattler
Package 2 by Brambane
Package 3 by Amamama
Package 4 by the mystery duck
Package 5 by Tommaniacal

quziel

I am the Scientist now
snake_rattler's Buff Package has won the poll. Congratulations! I'll summarize the package again here for future use.

Final Submission

+ Switcheroo

I don’t think much else is really necessary to add. Keeping Dark as secondary typing gives a powerful way to cut through Ghost-types and non-specially defensive Steel-types. Also being 4x weak to fighting makes Body Press Corviknight a more reliable switch-in counter. I don’t think the bad defensive typing is an issue; with this kind of Chromera, your goal is not to get hit with strong attacks anyway (so that you keep your STAB). Switcheroo enables Choice sets to work effectively.

Example sets:

Chromera @ Choice Scarf
Modest / Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Dark Pulse
- Switcheroo
- Foul Play / Recover / Knock Off

Chromera @ Choice Specs
Modest / Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Dark Pulse
- Switcheroo
- Recover / Knock Off

Chromera @ Silk Scarf
Modest / Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt / Calm Mind
- Recover
We'll be implementing the package after the current round of the CAP tournament, so get hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)