Defunct CAP Buff 4 - Chromera

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Also not really a big fan of adding a Normal typing to Chromera. spoo explained a lot of my worries pretty well, but I also feel like this idea zeroes in way too much on Boomburst and would end up turning Chromera into a Boomburst machine and not much else.
Zeroing into Boomburst is certainly a viable way to go though, as access to Boomburst is definitely one of Chromera's strengths. Without Boomburst, Chromera just wouldn't have any decent power once Color Change activates.

We tried to work with Color Change by making Chromera into a bulky booster. Bulky Booster Chromera needs a few turns needs to start boosting and has time to do so while the opponent struggles to hit Chromera effectively due to Color Change continually changing type effectiveness. In reality, we've seen it's not that hard to chain repeated super effective hits over those few turns that Chromera needs to boost. We could certainly try to continue the "bulky booster model that works with Color Change" by giving Chromera some new tools. However, currently I am not convinced that those tools will change the fact that the rest of the metagame is pretty good at punishing at Chromera's bulky booster gameplan. That is, giving Chromera new tools doesn't solve its biggest problem, which is that its bulky booster gameplan is really hard to pull off with Color Change not helping it and instead just hurting it.

Thus, since we tried to "work with Color Change" and saw that the results were less than ideal, I think it makes sense to explore the paths that "work against Color Change." And while "working against Color Change" might sound spooky, I'd like to claim that any buff that strays away from the bulky booster model is trying to "work against Color Change" because once you allow Chromera to make progress in battle in fewer turns, you're not really trying to use Color Change as a defensive tool anymore. You're trying to accomplish something in battle before the opponent has the change to chain super effective hits. So honestly....most (but not all) tools suggested in the thread so far are working "against Color Change," not just Boomburst as spoo's post suggest.

The idea of an exceptionally strong STAB Boomburst user that the opponent can "diffuse" by activating Color Change is fascinating to me. You have to have a some kind of gameplan to get Chromera in - you can't just switch it into attacks freely or else Chromera will lose its STAB Boomburst. So while Normal-type Chromera is a "Boomburst machine," it's more accurately "a Boomburst machine that switches into battle in high gear and switches to low gear once the opponent presses its exposed low gear button." Nothing else in the metagame really functions the same way, and it still uses Color Change in a way that's never been seen before in the game, so I think it's still a really cool way to make Color Change relevant to Chromera.

Plus, it doesn't really help with our Steel-type problem, which is one of Chromera's biggest overall problems.
Preliminary calcs of Choice Specs STAB Boomburst vs more offensive Steel-types are interesting to say the least, especially with boosting items. On the other hand, preliminary calcs against specially defensive Steel-types are much more tame, and having defensive Steel-types able to more reliably switch into STAB Boomburst is a good thing so that there's some defensive counterplay to STAB Boomburst Chromera. I think Boomburst not directly addressing the Steel-type problem is ok.

----

Finally, I want to highlight a little bit of Brambane's post because I think it's relevant to my argument and very well worded.

The takeaway from Chromera's history is that the Pokemon's design was a little too targeted for the metagame. The Poison-typing made sense to switch into Rillaboom and resist Grassy Glide and get a free switch off of coming into Toxic. The Dark-typing was a response to the prevalence of Knock Off Clefable and Future Sight. And Calm Mind could capitalize on all the slowish Special Attackers in the metagame and synergized with the natural bulk needed to answer Rillaboom. But when the metagame changed, Color Change's faults as a defensive tool became much more visible. Chromera was a bulky Pokemon, a Dark-type nonetheless, that couldn't answer Dragapult. It was horribly weak to pivoting moves, easily exploited by Toxic, and without consistent STAB reliant on Boomburst for immediate damage.

So, to answer the bolded questions at once, the issue Chromera has is it tries to leverage Color Change defensively, which is difficult if not outlandish. Chromera is simply too exploitable by pivots, Arghonaut, and Toxic to maintain a solid presence in the metagame as a slow, snowbally sweeper. The best direction moving forward is probably to abandon Chromera's original mindset of the Calm Mind deathball/"crit-me-not" sweeper. The best role to focus on for the Pokemon is what the Throat Spray Boomburst set tries to accomplish; a faster tempo, more offensive special attacker.
After reading Brambane's post and reviewing the sets that quziel posted in the OP, it's pretty indicative to me that Chromera is trying to lean into playstyle with a faster pace, but it lacks good tools to do so, given:
  1. Using Color Change defensively has shown itself not to work well in the current metagame, so its Calm Mind set struggles
  2. Chromera has crafted one of its more viable sets around the very niche item Throat Spray, making it obvious how Chromera really wants to have a faster-pace gameplan
  3. Chromera's Choice Scarf set (imo its most popular set) is mostly about just using Final Gambit to land as much damage as possible, which is probably as close to a fast-pace gameplan that it can get (but it faints in the process)
Thus, the most successful buff packages will lean into allowing Chromera to have that faster-pace playstyle. Moreover, and not to claim that this is the ONLY way to buff Chromera, but I think the best buffs will hinge on enabling Boomburst.

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
For those who doubt Normal's power, I provide the following calcs:

252 SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar: 106-126 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar in Psychic Terrain: 106-126 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Timid Normal-type Chromera's Boomburst is exactly as strong as Modest Tapu Lele's Psychic in Terrain. Think about that for a second. Tapu Lele is one of the tier's premier wallbreakers; achieving that level of power is nothing to scoff at. Looking at Tapu Lele as a guide for this is actually quite helpful; Tapu Lele hates taking any sort of chip damage and often switches out constantly to avoid getting hit. It also almost always comes in on a pivot/double switch. This demonstrates that the path is there for Chromera to make use of Boomburst effectively without being burdened by Color Change.

So, I took a bit of time to think about the Normal typing on Chromera and the arguments you guys have made for it. However, while doing so, an idea struck me. We've been on the fence about giving Chromera another Ability, as its entire concept does revolve around it having a bad Ability. There is an ability, though, that not only works perfectly with Chromera's concept, even being heavily discussed to be the Ability it was built around originally, but also heavily leans into the track we've been taking with focusing on Boomburst.

I am, of course, talking about Normalize.

While going from excellent coverage to crappy coverage doesn't really seem the best at first glance, what really draws me to Normalize on Chromera is how it improves our defensive potential by letting us keep our typing. Ghost-types are a big problem for Chromera currently due to becoming weak to Shadow Ball once it gets hit by one. But thanks to Normalize, we can keep our Dark typing, and thus, our resistance to Shadow Ball. Normalize also means we get to keep our Poison typing, and thus, our immunity to Toxic, which is huge for our overall longevity. The 1.2x boost to Normal-types moves Normalize gives us also provides a pseudo-Normal STAB, still allowing us to have a powerful Boomburst, particularly after setting up:

+2 252+ SpA Normalize Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Corviknight: 190-224 (47.5 - 56%) -- 24.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ SpA Normalize Chromera Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 244 SpD Melmetal: 191-225 (46.4 - 54.7%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ SpA Normalize Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 127-149 (32.9 - 38.6%) -- 5.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery +2 252+ SpA Normalize Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 161-190 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ SpA Normalize Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 132 SpD Equilibra: 142-168 (34.8 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Normalize Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Arghonaut: 183-216 (44.2 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Normalize Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar: 93-110 (23.6 - 27.9%) -- 86.5% chance to 4HKO
+2 252+ SpA Normalize Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar: 185-218 (46.9 - 55.3%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Normalize Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 40+ SpD Tapu Fini: 130-153 (37.7 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ SpA Normalize Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 40+ SpD Tapu Fini: 259-305 (75.2 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see Normalize turns Boomburst into a killing machine. I admittedly did use boosted calcs a lot, but you can see that even without boosts, Normalize allows Chromera to do big damage to even special walls like Glowking and Fini, comparable to the damage it does if it actually had a Normal type (see Dex's calc above)

There are obvious downsides to this, the most obvious one being the inability to hit Ghost-types. There are ways Normalize Chromera can work around this, but it gets into full-on buff package territory, so I'll hold back on it for now.

I'm also not saying that Normalize is the way over a Normal typing, and I think the two actually have great synergy with each other and could be put in the same buff package, but again, I don't want to go into that until quziel says opens up buff package submissions.

Looking forward to hearing peoples' thoughts on this :blobnom:

Bloopyghost

guging
is a Pre-Contributor
Small post, but I'm surprised there are suggestions to add/change Chrom's ability at all, even after DPM and shnow said that we shouldn't with a good amount of support. This is not a Roak situation where we have zero clue on how this mon is meant to be played. Color Change is Chrom's most defining feature. Chrom's lack of immediate power and lack of defensive utility do not have to be solved by abandoning Color Change; adding tools that increase its offensive presence or swapping out one of its types will likely do wonders for it. I find those two solutions to be much more efficient than an ability change, why wouldn’t we work with the devil we know? Esp since Color Change offers such an interesting Achilles Heel whether we continue pursuing set-up or changing lanes into a Choice breaker.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Before we move onto individual submissions, I would to request us to take some time to discuss potential type combinations and how they give Chromera a more effective, cohesive game plan.

I think the community has reached a general consensus that while Dark/Poison is an exceptional typing for a tanky booster due to its Toxic immunity, few weaknesses, and STAB combination, it is largely ineffective as an immediate offensive special attacker. The STABs aren't strong enough and can't hit enough relevant metagame staples for meaningful damage without 1, 2, 3 boosts, and without STAB from Color Change they are incredibly mediocre moves.

Normal has been very widely embraced since Boomburst is the best offensive move at Chromera's disposal and it makes it able to at least eat a Shadow Ball on the switch and not be immediately forced out, which is one of current Chromera's many annoying habits. But I don't think we are limited to just Normal/Poison and Normal/Dark. What is the significant reason to keep one of Chromera's previous types? Do Dark and Poison compliment Normal in a specific way? Are there better typings that do it better? And are there other types other than Normal worthy of consideration?

I think the line of thought for maintaining Chromera with /Poison or /Dark regardless of what the primary type becomes is purely aesthetic, and I get it but we have room to work here. It's not like Chromera's movepool is overflowing with Dark and Poison moves, its not like its inspiration is something inherently poisonous or noxious, or "evil." Chromera is a big purple and gold lion that's covered in paint.

Flavor is always going to be an important part of CAP, and there will always be voters who vote for flavor-exclusive reasons during purely competitive processes like this one. This is the nature of the project. But I don't think we should limit discussion and brainstorming at this competitive stage because of it. Chromera doesn't have old gens to remain consistent with like most of the other CAPs, nor does its design has explicit typing cues that a player would use to decide what move to try against it the first time they see it in "Pokemon Seethe and Cope Versions," or whatever you want to call it, other than being a big purple and gold lion that's covered in paint. And if there is any CAP that we should really dive into type changes with, its probably the CAP who's primary and defining trait is changing its type.

If we want a Normal-centric buff that maximizes utility, Normal/Dark could be the best one, as it keeps STAB Foul Play on the fringe Scarf set.

We recently discovered in lab tests that partial Normal typings are cringe in terms of flavor, however, so I'd throw my hat in the ring for a pure Normal-based buff. You don't want to directly switch this thing in, anyway, but at least you resist weak Psychic and Dark moves should you need to take one ig. Plus Normal as the "variable" type was a thing since Ditto. I suppose you could also go Normal/Fairy for that sweet Dragon immunity but no way this thing's passing as a fairy.

I strongly disagree with the secondary typing being "just aesthetic," immunities and resistances are vital to determining what Chromera can check. Normal/Poison or Dark don't really offer much in the way of resistances outside of Dark's Psychic immunity, which isn't particularly useful when many Psychic types run Fairy coverage.

If we want a Normal-centric buff that maximizes utility, Normal/Dark could be the best one, as it keeps STAB Foul Play on the fringe Scarf set.

We recently discovered in lab tests that partial Normal typings are cringe in terms of flavor, however, so I'd throw my hat in the ring for a pure Normal-based buff. You don't want to directly switch this thing in, anyway, as at least you resist weak Psychic and Dark moves should you need to take one ig. Plus Normal as the "variable" type was a thing since Ditto. I suppose you could also go Normal/Fairy for that sweet Dragon immunity but no way this thing's passing as a fairy.
Why can't Chromera be a Fairy type? Even if I don't think we should be considering arbitrary preferences about flavour, there isn't really much in the way of defining characteristics of Fairy-types. Normal/Fairy is probably one of the best typings to round out Color Change's weaknesses, along with Fairy/Flying. If for whatever reason that's too much, Normal/Steel both offers a lot of resistances AND has the added benefit of working really well flavour-wise because of the role metals historically played in ink and pigment creation, but it also gets wrecked by Blacephelon, Outrage Pajantom, and Fire Blast Dragapult. One type that works well with Color Change but would be hard to justify for people invested in flavour is Flying, because of its Ground immunity. It's probably the least viable secondary typing though if Normal is the primary typing. Ground is another interesting option that's similarly hard to justify with flavour.

There is also a mechanical aspect of Color Change to consider: moves of the same type as the Color Change Pokemon do not alter the Pokemon's type (even if it's dual typed). That changes matchups for what Chromera can switch in on and immediately threaten, especially if it ends up being a Normal type. If it were a Normal/Fire type for instance, it would just completely wall Blacephalon's STABs. A Normal/Fairy Chromera could feasibly threaten Clefable this way, forcing it to either use a suboptimal coverage move to break Chromera's STAB boost or stomach boosted Boombursts.

Last edited:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Not too much more to add from what others have mentioned about Normal/Dark, but I would like to emphasize how Normal/Dark in tandem with Color Change's mechanics actually allow Chromera to act as a regular Dark-type for teams since it can maintain its type and resistance into moves like Knock Off and, more importantly, pack natural resilience into Ghost-type Pokemon and properly threaten with super effective STAB.

Even being limited by Color Change isn't wholly significant because more often than not, the defensive application of most Dark-types is immediate. Those often used for defensive utility have an option to force a threat like Dragapult out, such as through high power STABs, sheer resilience, and/or utility. In the case of a Normal/Dark Chromera, maintaining a STAB Boomburst into a resisted Knock Off definitely accomplishes the former, and Chromera already has the kit and stat spread to entertain the latter two. Despite the STAB combo being good offensively, Chromera being able to hold onto its type combination (and STAB Boomburst) into these interactions means it is more capable of dispensing utility or other forms of progression through options like STAB Knock Off since it can still force switches, should teams deem it necessary.

Normal/Dark has some other really neat synergy, mainly offensively. It packs a secondary STAB that can pressure Steel-types, which STAB Boomburst can funnel in a lot more consistently since Dark-type STAB heavily dissuades Ghost-types from pivoting into Boomburst. It also means Chromera can hold onto STAB Foul Play, which is a central aspect of its Choice Scarf set and is something I think is genuinely cool about it. Having STAB Boomburst to supplement that means it has actual cleaning applications, which the set sorely lacked. When combined with its Dark-type STAB keeping Ghost-types away, STAB Boomburst is fairly consistent here.

Keeping its Psychic-immunity is also pretty cool, but it's worth noting that sacrificing our Poison-type means Tapu Lele is lost as a Pokemon we check, which is a notably devastating loss, and the U-turn weakness is honestly really huge into Dragapult which often may attempt to midground us with our type change in mind. On top of gaining more weaknesses and sacrificing some resists, our defensive utility into core interactions as a Dark-type are emphasized, which is good, but we lose it just about anywhere else. This is a very offensive angle, but one that may be necessary and probably a good thing.

edit: I'm also aware Chromera isn't comfortable coming in on Knock Off anyway due to item disruption, but my point is moreso that STAB Boomburst is strong enough on it to leverage options to take advantage of it and allow us to force switches against most Knock Off users since we can keep STAB on Boomburst, which is conducive for setup or offensive utility.

___

Normal/Poison is a more conservative approach to the Normal-type amendment and probably one that's going to be miles more inconsistent offensively, but instead emphasizes defensive applications and the ability to force switches through punishing Shadow Ball.

The main draws are that we keep our initial Toxic immunity, can maintain our matchup into most Fairy-types barring Tapu Lele, and honestly most importantly, we take less from U-turn and will thus be healthier to take on any follow-up hits trying to exploit Color Change. The latter into Dragapult is key to me because I suspect it'll be used against Normal-type Chromera very frequently, and taking as little from it as possible is really important imo.

In my eyes, I don't think this is too worth it, mostly since we have very little way to ensure we keep our type in spite of its defensive uses. The Toxic immunity was mostly made practical because of the Dark-type's synergy with Poison enabling us to maintain it into Knock Off users like Toxapex that would pack Toxic, and we have our type manipulated a lot more easily with only one consistently applicable immunity and a lack of Dark-type STAB to supplement Boomburst. We also don't have STAB Dark Pulse to slap the key Ghost-types which, if not Choice-locked, means we are awkward into them anyway.

The inherent defensive emphasis this type has likely means we will be probably maintaining our emphasis on setup, and consequently means STAB on Boomburst is less valuable since its ability to exploit it is much more limited than Normal/Dark without precise positioning. If we take this route, I think Chromera will need more, such as the aforementioned Nasty Plot to speed up its gameplan, more Speed to mitigate exploitability by offensive teams, or the amendment of extra coverage to pressure Steel-types through Overheat or Earth Power.

___

Normal/Fairy does Normal/Poison wants to do but better. It packs a Dragon-type immunity, less weaknesses, more conducive resistances, a maintained resilience into Dark-types with an initial resistance, all while holding onto the practical benefits Normal/Poison brings to the table (holding onto positive opposing Fairy-type MUs, a U-turn resistance). The main catches over Normal/Poison are that it loses the Toxic immunity and the immediate Fairy-type resistance, both of which aren't that valuable with an added Normal-type since it can't really keep them or are meaningless into specific matchups (aka Tapu Lele).

If we want to take a more conservative and honest-to-concept approach with Normal-type STAB, this is probably the best option we have. It's a lot more consistent than Normal/Poison since it packs a key immunity of Dragon-type moves into the main Ghost-types (Dragapult/Pajantom) while being resilient into Dark-types. Unlike Normal/Dark, though, soaking a Knock Off means losing STAB Boomburst, and while we can still force out most opposing Dark-types/Ghost-types with a Fairy-type move anyway, losing STAB on Boomburst for wanting to utilize our Dark-type matchup means we return to the same problem of immediate power that Chromera has once the Dark-type switches out. This is an interaction we had before anyway but is arguably made worse by comparison since we don't keep the Toxic immunity and our generally flexible base type unlike base Chromera. Though, letting us consistently answer Dragapult and Pajantom is objectively a buff and does address another problem of needing an incentive to be run regardless of how well it keeps Boomburst in execution.

Much like Normal/Poison, for the same reasons, I don't think this is enough. I think you can still justify granting Chromera with more, like the aforementioned Nasty Plot/coverage/Speed. It will still likely be playing into setup due to having the same weaknesses in exploiting STAB Boomburst as consistently, but I feel it does that more consistently by comparison.

___

tl;dr competitively speaking: Normal/Dark > Normal/Fairy > Normal/Poison

I will also say that I don't really like Normal/Fairy or Normal/Poison very much since they can't really supplement STAB Boomburst as well, which makes them radical changes flavor-wise that are too tenuous for Chromera's overall gameplan. Imo, the best angles to improve Chromera would be either Normal/Dark or leveraging setup by speeding it up with Nasty Plot or coverage.

Last edited:

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Ok, with that I think I'm ready to open up buff package submissions.

As a reminder, users will be submitting neatly packed combinations of buffs, either major or minor. If the submitter believes a proposed change is quite strong, they are also permitted to suggest removals for the sake of balance. To copy Wulfanator's Lasen’s homework, an example post would be:

+Solar Power
+7 Spe
+1 HP
-Growl

Remember to provide justification for your proposal either in the form of calculations or specific references to the metagame.

Lastly, make sure that the first line of your buff package post is either WIP or Final Submission to help distinguish between submissions that are still being worked on from those that are complete. Only submissions with that have been edited to a Final Submission status will be considered for polling.

----

Please list what the new tools in your package give Chromera, how they impact its existing, and future matchups (relevant if you start to win/lose vs a new mon), and why you made any removals if you did. Buff Package submissions will be open until at least the weekend, and I very much so welcome comments on any buff packages submitted, as it really helps me to choose what to slate. I'll also edit in some commentary about dealing with flavor changes from type changes here by the end of the day today if the mod team and I can come to a conclusion.

Good luck submitting.

dex

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

New typing: Dark/Normal
+ Switcheroo
+ Flamethrower
- Scald

This buff angles to turn Chromera into a sort of midway point between Choice Scarf Tapu Fini and Choice item Tapu Lele. Its Normal typing + Boomburst gives Chromera excellent breaking ability, while Dark Pulse covers the Ghost-types (minus Revenankh) that would switch into Boomburst. Flamethrower provides coverage for bulky Steel-types outside of Heatran, which is kept intact as a check (hence why I opted for Flamethrower over Focus Blast). Switcheroo provides Chromera with a means of team support. For the same reason as I added Flamethrower, I took Scald away, as there were some (perhaps overblown) concerns about its interaction with Heatran on Specs sets. I think that going full in on a Choice item set is the best path forward, as this archetype is least likely to interact with Color Change and thus is most likely to succeed. I would imagine the buffed Chromera would run a set like this:

Chromera @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Ability: Color Change
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature / Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Dark Pulse
- Switcheroo
- Flamethrower / Recover / Taunt / Calm Mind

As has been shown in the thread, Normal-type Timid Chromera's Boomburst is exactly as strong as Modest Tapu Lele's Psychic in terrain. That's pretty damn strong. This set would reward prediction and operate a lot like Tapu Lele except without the added power of Psyshock and with the extra utility of Switcheroo.

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Final Submission

New typing: Dark/Normal
+ Earth Power
- Blizzard

The focus of this set was largely based around improving the Choice Scarf Final Gambit set. Dark/Normal, in addition to giving us an extremely powerful Boomburst when we first switch-in, solves Chromera's biggest issue with being a Dark-type (Which is that it's a Dark-type that can't switch in on Shadow Ball), while also preserving many of the virtues that being a Dark-type brings, such as an initial immunity to Future Sight (Which Hyper Offense appreciates a fair amount) and also prevents the opponent from changing our type with Knock Off. Earth Power was given to serve as coverage against Steel-types meant to go alongside Boomburst and a Dark-type attack. I decided to go with Earth Power instead of Flamethrower like a lot of other posters as I simply just didn't really find the Heatran match-up to be super concerning for us (And we sort of already do a fairly decent job at beating it anyways with Scald, which I elected to keep). The other big reason I choose Earth Power is that still improves our match-up against Melmetal and Magnezone while still keeping Corviknight, Levitate Equilibra, and Ferrothorn as potential checks, which I feel is necessary for keeping the immense initial power of Boomburst in check. Blizzard was removed just to remove a potential fish option for Chromera, and it is largely unnecessary now anyways with the type change.

Example Sets:

Chromera @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Boomburst
- Foul Play
- Earth Power

Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Scald / Thunderbolt

Last edited:

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

New type: Normal/Ghost
+Trick
+Will-o-wisp
-Calm Mind
-Scald

This buff package gives Chromera much more immediate offensive options in addition to three immunities to switch-in with, preventing Color Change from removing its STABs.

Normal/Ghost is an exceptional STAB combination for a Choice Specs/Scarf user. As shown in Gen 8 CAP/OU, Shadow Ball can be a very spammable move in the mid-late game. Alongside STAB Boomburst, it would give Chromera excellent offensive presence with STABs alone, something it desperately needed to pressure the opponent. The coverage is not unresisted; Tyranitar is a mainstay of OU and CAP at the moment, and resists both with the massive Special Defense afforded by sandstorm. Bulleproof Equilibra also can switch into Shadow Ball without issue.

Normal/Ghost also offers offensive synergy in the builder, which helps Chromera fit onto teams. The biggest one is Chromera becomes a really solid spinblocker. Like, really excellent. Most Ghost-types run in the meta, Dragapult, Blace, etc, are risky spinblockers because of their relatively low bulk taking a lot from Equilibra and Saharaja. Chromera is an absolute stat stick that can eat their moves much better, and if they do change its typing so they can spin against it, well they just gave Chromera its STAB Boomburst back!

Trick gives Choice sets some additional utility and disruptive potential vs stall teams, which considering Chromera's innately strong STAB combination and access to Recover should make it a reasonable asset into those teams. Will-o-wisp is a much faster and more useful than Calm Mind for breaking through fatmons. Wisp sets up nicely for STAB Hex and has excellent synergy with Chromera's Speed and Recover. Calm Mind is removed since Calm Mind + Wisp is likely overbearing, and Calm Mind + STAB Boomburst sounds a little monsterous given that Chromera can almost make that set work now without the STAB. Scald is gone to remove a strong midground option on sets over Will-o-wisp wanting to force damage onto Equilibra.

Chromera @ Silk Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Recover

Chromera @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SpD / 76 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

will post more later, wrote this on the toilet at work

Last edited:
Final Submission

+ Normal type
+ Heat Wave
+ Parting Shot
- Dark type
- Blizzard

I'm going with Normal/Poison as opposed to Dark/Normal. Normal/Poison is a type I feel Chromera would really value, which of course plays into Color Change. By dropping Dark as opposed to Normal, you get to keep the initial Toxic immunity, you aren't weak to U-turn, and you have fewer type weaknesses overall. The downside is that you're now weaker to Tapu Lele, but it was already taking a lot from Specs Moonblast anyway. Obviously, the main draw of the Normal type is STAB Boomburst.

• (Dark) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 169-199 (60.1 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • (Normal) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 253-298 (90 - 106%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • (Dark) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venomicon: 147-174 (39.3 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • (Normal) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venomicon-Prologue: 220-261 (58.8 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • (Dark) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 56+ SpD Clefable: 178-210 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • (Normal) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 56+ SpD Clefable: 267-315 (67.7 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • (Dark) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 40+ SpD Tapu Fini: 134-158 (38.9 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • (Normal) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 40+ SpD Tapu Fini: 201-237 (58.4 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Heat Wave and Parting Shot are the other two big buffs I'm giving it. With Heat Wave, now it finally has something to hit Steel types with. This gives it a better matchup vs Ferrothorn, Melmetal if it doesn't get banned, and Magnezone. After some talk on the PS chatroom, I've also decided to give it Kerfluffle a sibling and give it Parting Shot for the Choice Scarf sets, so that those sets have a safe move to click, and to also help set it apart from Final Gambit Aurumoth.

I'm also removing Blizzard to make it easier for Dragapult to check it (it still has Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse but they're arguably worse). Yep, the Normal type is solely for the power boost, and not for its Dragapult matchup, because it's still not taking Draco Meteors even with the Normal type. Since it can beat Steel types now, I have to give it new checks after all.

Chromera @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave / Parting Shot
- Parting Shot / Shadow Ball / Scald
- Final Gambit

Chromera @ Throat Spray
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 24 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Recover
- Boomburst
- Scald / Heat Wave
- Calm Mind

Chromera is now a more passable offensive threat, with Boomburst hitting harder and it being able to break Steel types. Choice Scarf would be more viable so that you're not picking and choosing what to beat and instead have all your attacks on you at once.

EDIT: This buff package was originally Lava Plume/Snipe Shot as opposed to Heat Wave/Scald, and I still like the former, but I don't think there is enough of a difference between the two to justify a more complicated buff package.

Last edited:

dex

WIP

+ Normal type
+ Lava Plume
+ Snipe Shot
- Dark type
- Blizzard
- Scald

I'm going with Normal/Poison as opposed to Dark/Normal. Normal/Poison is a type I feel Chromera would really value, which of course plays into Color Change. By dropping Dark as opposed to Normal, you get to keep the initial Toxic immunity, you aren't weak to U-turn, and you have fewer type weaknesses overall. The downside is that you're now weaker to Tapu Lele, but it was already taking a lot from Specs Moonblast anyway. Obviously, the main draw of the Normal type is STAB Boomburst.

• (Dark) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 169-199 (60.1 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • (Normal) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 253-298 (90 - 106%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • (Dark) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venomicon: 147-174 (39.3 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • (Normal) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venomicon-Prologue: 220-261 (58.8 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • (Dark) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 56+ SpD Clefable: 178-210 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • (Normal) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 56+ SpD Clefable: 267-315 (67.7 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • (Dark) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 40+ SpD Tapu Fini: 134-158 (38.9 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • (Normal) +1 24+ SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 40+ SpD Tapu Fini: 201-237 (58.4 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Lava Plume the other big buff I'm giving it. Now it finally has something to hit Steel types with. This gives it a better matchup vs Ferrothorn, Melmetal if it doesn't get banned, and Magnezone. I thought about Fire Blast (rip Blue Flare), but I like Lava Plume more because the added burn chance gives it a chance to cripple Tyranitar, and I think Chromera would value its Steel beating move being safe to click.

I replaced Scald with Snipe Shot because I didn't like the idea of it having two high burn chance moves, that'd be a bit much IMO. I'm also removing Blizzard to make it easier for Dragapult to check it (it still has Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse but they're arguably worse). Yep, the Normal type is solely for the power boost, and not for its Dragapult matchup, because it's still not taking Draco Meteors even with the Normal type. Since it can beat Steel types now, I have to give it new checks after all.

Chromera @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Boomburst
- Lava Plume
- Shadow Ball

Chromera @ Throat Spray
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 24 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Boomburst
- Lava Plume / Snipe Shot
- Recover

Chromera is now a more passable offensive threat, with Boomburst hitting harder and it being able to break Steel types. Choice Scarf would be more viable so that you're not picking and choosing what to beat and instead have all your attacks on you at once.
Why not flamethrower > lava plume and keep scald? The burn chance in ttar is not meaningful since ttar probably isn’t switching in (it doesn’t run bulk very often at all). I feel like Snipe Shot is very random here.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Final Submission

New Type: Dark/Normal
+ Switcheroo

I don’t think much else is really necessary to add. Keeping Dark as secondary typing gives a powerful way to cut through Ghost-types and non-specially defensive Steel-types. Also being 4x weak to fighting makes Body Press Corviknight a more reliable switch-in counter. I don’t think the bad defensive typing is an issue; with this kind of Chromera, your goal is not to get hit with strong attacks anyway (so that you keep your STAB). Switcheroo enables Choice sets to work effectively.

Example sets:

Chromera @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Dark Pulse
- Switcheroo
- Foul Play / Recover / Knock Off

Chromera @ Choice Specs
Modest / Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Dark Pulse
- Switcheroo
- Recover / Knock Off

Chromera @ Silk Scarf
Modest / Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt / Calm Mind
- Recover

Final Submission

Keep Type

+ Nasty Plot
+ Ice Beam
+ 15 Speed
- 15 def

Possible Set

Chromera @ Throat Spray
Level: 100
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Boomburst
- Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Scald/Taunt/Recover

Chromera @ Leftovers
Level: 100
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Boomburst
- Recover

With Nasty Plot Throat Spray and Boomburst Chromera can become extremely threatening to anything not Named Arghonaut, Heatran, Equilibra or Tyranitar in very Short time. In two turns it can set up to plus three and OHKO phys def Toxapex with Boomburst. And even the aforementioned can get into trouble with the right coverage moves.
Thunderbolt forces Arghonaut to spam recover and Taunt can block it from recovering and staying healthy against other teammates of Chromera.
I also added back Ice beam as it is great coverage for a ground weak Mon and fairly Spammable especially paired with Dark Pulse.
+2 Scald easily disposes of Heatran and Equilibra in two turns although the latter comes very close to Ohkoing with Earthpower.
But thanks to it’s still formidable bulk and defensive typing as well as improved Speed Chromera should be harder to revenge kill and its improved power and set up capabilities mean it now can actually scare shit out to find opportunities to set up.

I’ll add calcs in a bit if needed.

Last edited:

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
For those who doubt Normal's power, I provide the following calcs:

252 SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar: 106-126 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar in Psychic Terrain: 106-126 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Timid Normal-type Chromera's Boomburst is exactly as strong as Modest Tapu Lele's Psychic in Terrain. Think about that for a second. Tapu Lele is one of the tier's premier wallbreakers; achieving that level of power is nothing to scoff at. Looking at Tapu Lele as a guide for this is actually quite helpful; Tapu Lele hates taking any sort of chip damage and often switches out constantly to avoid getting hit. It also almost always comes in on a pivot/double switch. This demonstrates that the path is there for Chromera to make use of Boomburst effectively without being burdened by Color Change.
Calcs like this is why I'm vehemently against giving Chromera any leeway into Steel types aside from parting shot. Boomburst is a very very stupid move and granting it shit like NP or bloody Overheat which has been mentioned should raise immediate red flags. We are already gearing into making by leaps and bounds the best Boomburst user in the game, and we see what exploud can do with base like.. 90 sp att and a middling speed tier.

Making Chromera have good defensive bulk to tank a shot or 2, stronger STAB Boomburst, and have a way to slaughter every non heatran steel with coverage? While also having a solid speed tier isn't just fixing it's issues, it's making it incredibly broken/unhealthy. Personally I'm on the camp of +Normal Type, +Parting Shot, -Final Gambit, and then anything else is flavor adjustments for having a new type. Let me share some calcs of what a specs chromera can do vs what you'd likely go into boomburst on.

252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Corviknight: 162-192 (40.5 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 138-162 (39.2 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 148-175 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Heatran: 110-130 (28.4 - 33.6%) -- 96.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Equilibra: 101-119 (24.7 - 29.1%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Scald vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Equilibra: 156-184 (38.2 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 241-285 (33.7 - 39.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 105-123 (30.7 - 36%) -- 53% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar: 159-187 (40.3 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Keep in mind that Corv, Heatran, Libra, and Tyranitar hate Scald/Thunder. Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Tyranitar have no reliable recovery, and Libra is pushing it a bit w Pain split. Blissey is bad, and Slowking takes bloody 40 it dies after rocks 50% the time. I'm aware that in practice it'd likely be functioning like Mega medicham with this set, but unlike medicham this thing has more stuff to do, between scarf, specs, throat spray, cm, etc. Overall being more conservative with this is the best way to go in my eyes.

dex

Calcs like this is why I'm vehemently against giving Chromera any leeway into Steel types aside from parting shot. Boomburst is a very very stupid move and granting it shit like NP or bloody Overheat which has been mentioned should raise immediate red flags. We are already gearing into making by leaps and bounds the best Boomburst user in the game, and we see what exploud can do with base like.. 90 sp att and a middling speed tier.

Making Chromera have good defensive bulk to tank a shot or 2, stronger STAB Boomburst, and have a way to slaughter every non heatran steel with coverage? While also having a solid speed tier isn't just fixing it's issues, it's making it incredibly broken/unhealthy. Personally I'm on the camp of +Normal Type, +Parting Shot, -Final Gambit, and then anything else is flavor adjustments for having a new type. Let me share some calcs of what a specs chromera can do vs what you'd likely go into boomburst on.

252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Corviknight: 162-192 (40.5 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 138-162 (39.2 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 148-175 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Heatran: 110-130 (28.4 - 33.6%) -- 96.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Equilibra: 101-119 (24.7 - 29.1%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Scald vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Equilibra: 156-184 (38.2 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 241-285 (33.7 - 39.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 105-123 (30.7 - 36%) -- 53% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar: 159-187 (40.3 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Keep in mind that Corv, Heatran, Libra, and Tyranitar hate Scald/Thunder. Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Tyranitar have no reliable recovery, and Libra is pushing it a bit w Pain split. Blissey is bad, and Slowking takes bloody 40 it dies after rocks 50% the time. I'm aware that in practice it'd likely be functioning like Mega medicham with this set, but unlike medicham this thing has more stuff to do, between scarf, specs, throat spray, cm, etc. Overall being more conservative with this is the best way to go in my eyes.
Yes, Boomburst is strong. However, on a Choice attacker, super effective coverage is pretty damn important. Tapu Lele has Focus Blast for the one type that resists its STAB moves. Choice Specs Lele actually has fewer switch-ins because of its access to Psyshock and ability to hit Toxapex super effectively, reducing how consistently it can be scouted. Just because something can hit something super effectively does not mean something will. That is the nature of Choice item attackers: they reward prediction. Would you say Tapu Lele's access to Focus Blast is broken? Would Focus Blast be a better move to give Chromera than Flamethrower? I was trying to keep Heatran completely around as a check to Chromera, so perhaps I will take Scald away (though I really do not think that is necessary in the slightest). Would you consider Dragapult's access to Flamethrower broken? That's a Pokemon whose strongest STAB move is resisted by Steel-types. What I'm saying is this concern is largely overblown; Choice item used should have a way to reward prediction, lest they go the way of Kerfluffle and be forever walled. This is why I don't think +Parting Shot and no coverage is all that good, as it results in a Pokemon that strong but not strong enough to warrant over other wallbreakers. Also, I don't know why you mentioned Overheat. I have here Flamethrower, Overheat was never on the table.

Last edited:
Final Submission:

New typing: Normal/Fairy
+ Switcheroo
+ Parting Shot
+ Moonblast
+ 15 Speed
- 15 Special Attack
- Scald

-Special Attack stat retains most of the power of Timid Lele, making the Heatran (2.6% chance to 4kho vs 96.7), Glowking (3HKO vs 52.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock), and SpDef Ferrothorn matchups much harder. The speed tier beats Astrolotl, meaning that Astro is countered by Chromera thanks to Chromera's bulk, speed tier, and STAB Boomburst. Chromera can now come in on Offensive Chomp and OHKO it with some chip damage without worrying about +2 EQ
-Parting Shot turns Chromera into an offensive pivot that takes advantage of the switches forced by STAB Boomburst.
-Switcheroo is a wallbreaking option to punish Ferrothorn, Corviknight, and Melmetal.
-Threatens Clefable even without Choice Specs

As a typing, Normal/Fairy is better suited to taking advantage of Chromera's offensive items than Normal/Dark. Although it does change typing upon being hit with Knock Off, I don't feel like it's that big of a deal when Chromera doesn't want to lose its Choice Scarf or Throat Spray. However, losing STAB Knock Off/Pulse means that Chromera can't OHKO Blacephalon without Stealth Rock. Dark isn't particularly strong coverage compared to Fairy, which allows Chromera to threaten Tyranitar and most Pokemon that aren't Steel types, as Fairy hits Rock for neutral and scares out most Ghosts outside of Blacephalon and the rare Aegislash/Alolawak

252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 125-147 (35.5 - 41.7%) -- 84.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Heatran: 100-118 (25.9 - 30.5%) -- 2.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 40 HP / 104 SpD Melmetal: 175-207 (41.5 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar: 144-169 (36.5 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Chromera Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 186-222 (46 - 54.9%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Chromera Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana: 227-267 (87.6 - 103%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Astrolotl Fire Lash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chromera: 41-48 (13.1 - 15.4%) -- possible 7HKO
0 Atk Astrolotl Stomping Tantrum vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Chromera: 154-182 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (109 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chromera: 200-236 (64.3 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Chromera @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Moonblast
- Switcheroo
- Shadow Ball / Dark Pulse / Parting Shot / Knock Off

Chromera @ Throat Spray
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Taunt / Dark Pulse / Shadow Ball / Recover / Substitute

Chromera @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Calm Mind
- Taunt / Knock Off
- Recover

EVs Guarantee a 2HKO with Boomburst on pivot Astrolotl.

Last edited:
As much as I meme about Normal being slapped on a CAP, it actually makes sense on Chromera due to how it works with Color Change. It provides a Ghost immunity, which is one of two types weak to itself. This gives Chromera some defensive utility to not be hit by Ghost attacks upon switching in. I appreciate both Normal/Poison and Dark/Normal being submitted here.

I think it's fine generally, just utilized wrong, you want it to be a bulky wallbreaker, yet the sample sets don't have sludge bomb to cripple walls with poison, or to break the unaware walls, so it isn't being used properly by the userbase regardless, I think it's plenty strong

if you think arghonaut is a problem you have tbolt, maybe 3 attacks life orb, I really think it's just underutilized, not for a lack of power

Last edited:

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
FINAL SUBMISSION

+25 ATK
+2 SPD
-27 SP. ATK

+Parting Shot
+Switcheroo
+Swords Dance
+Flame Charge
+High Horsepower

-Final Gambit

As an unexpected turn, I'm opting to change Chromera's playstyle into that akin to a merge of Drapion and Silvally-Ground, and changing how it plays into a devastating breaker/sweeper on HO or other styles. Knock/Gunk is far stronger immediate STAB than dark pulse/sludge bomb, and it's coverage has pivoted to being best used as a Banded Attacker/SD Sweeper, with upgraded ground coverage in High Horsepower for Pokemon like Toxapex and Tyranitar. Changing Chromera's pros and cons from and to the following.

PROS
  • Can be very good at setting up and choking down a battered team
  • One time Offensive Lele Check
  • Psychic Immunity
  • Good on one team w double Final Gambit
  • Sets up on bulky waters and Fairies

CONS

• Slow, lackluster immediate presence
  • Easily exploitable
  • Slow to get going even when giving the chance
  • Gimmicky and/or Fishy
  • Often kills itself to actually accomplish something, ignores its own process entirely.

PROS
  • Better Immediate presence
  • Improved Coverage
  • Sets up on bulky Fairies, more select Waters and Steels
  • More Dangerous, gains pivoting ability and a good option in CB, abuses usual Dark checks
  • Far more capable sweeper
  • Now Speed ties Garchomp
  • Pivot
CONS
  • Bigger status bait, cares about being burned
  • 4MSS
  • Very competitive pool of options, in TTar, Weavile, Bisharp and Colossoil.
  • Relies heavily on being able to click Flame Charge to sweep the team

Swords Dance Chromera
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Chromera High Horsepower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 255-302 (83.8 - 99.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Chromera Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arghonaut: 169-200 (40.8 - 48.3%) -- 65.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and poison damage
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Chromera Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 220 Def Zapdos: 409-484 (106.7 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Chromera Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian: 231-273 (60.4 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Chromera Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 302-359 (85.7 - 101.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Chromera Gunk Shot vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole: 341-402 (86.7 - 102.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Chromera High Horsepower vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 354-416 (84 - 98.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

CB Chromera
252 Atk Choice Band Chromera Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arghonaut: 195-229 (47.1 - 55.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and poison damage
252 Atk Choice Band Chromera High Horsepower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 148-176 (48.6 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and poison damage
252 Atk Choice Band Chromera Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Equilibra: 147-174 (36 - 42.6%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and poison damage
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Chromera Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian: 118-139 (30.8 - 36.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and poison damage
252 Atk Choice Band Chromera Gunk Shot vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole: 196-232 (49.8 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and poison damage

Last edited:
My first post ever (lmk if i did something wrong):

Chromera just doesn't have the movepool/stats to play into any role. Its mid-speed and mid-spa rarely put in offensive pressure, compounded by its weak and temporary stab options. While it does have great bulk, chromera doesn't have the typing to support that. It doesnt resist entry hazards and begins racking up damage quickly because of color change. Even as a bulky offensive pokemon, it lacks offensive pressure like other mons (such as t-tar).

How about a move that changes typing whenever chromera changes typing (similar to aura wheel)? This would give chromera a strong stab option despite color changing, and even allow for some strategic offensive play. A consistent 100 BP move (perhaps with secondary effects, or even more BP) would fix chromera's offensive stab problem, while also keeping its "gimmick" as a color change user. Combined with great bulk, chromera can put on real offensive pressure, while still allowing counterplay.

thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)