Approved Defensive Value of Mega Evolutions in OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unlucky Desperado

Banned deucer.
Introduction
Hi, this is my first time writing an aritcle or trying to contribute to Smogon. I lurked here for around 3 months before making my account and frequented the ladder.
I have some good (I hope) posts I made in the viability rankings and one in RMT:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ost-1054-page-43.3536420/page-45#post-6260440
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/fairy-on-the-devils-shoulder.3538179/#post-6217728
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ost-1054-page-43.3536420/page-42#post-6256616

So here is what I plan to write about:
Summary
Mega Evolutions where a new mechanic introduced in Gen 6. They received stat boosts that made them better all around. Although most pokemon became more popular due to their offensive improvements, many megas gained increased defensive value and capabilities. Mega Slowbro, Mega Venusaur and Mega Scizor are both pokemon who not only improved in offensive categories but also in their defensive versatility and value. Additionally, megas like Latios, Charizard X and Altaria, more known for their offensive roles, can take on effective defensive sets. This relates to the OU metagame and it aims to highlight the lesser noticed defensive possibilities in mega evolutions.

Outline

I. Introduction
A. Mega Evolutions
1. Mega Evolution introduction
2. Making pokemon better and more significant​
B. Defensive Megas like Slowbro, Venusaur, Scizor
C. Offensive Megas with defensive value like Latios, Charizard X, and Altaria​
II. Defensive Megas
A. Mega Venusaur
1. Role in BW more offensive on sun teams
2. Gained boosts in Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense
3. Amazing ability in Thick Fat
4. Defensive typing in resisting Water, Fairy types.
5. Flaws in weakness to Flying, Psychic, low Synthesis PP​
B. Mega Slowbro
1. Gained boosts in Defense and Special Attack
2. New ability Shell Armor and good pre mega ability Regenerator
3. Extreme Physical Bulk, Steel, Psychic, Water, Fighting resists
4. Offensive Presence, some great coverage options
5. Setup Threat
6. Flaws in low special defense and weakness to Dark and dislike of status.​
C. Mega Scizor
1. Offensive role in BW
2. Gained boosts in Attack, Defense, Special Defense, Speed
3. Increased Special Defense and strong physical bulk
4. Resists to Steel, Dragon, Psychic
5. Offensive Presence with lots of utility
6. Setup Threat
7. Flaw in no defensive value of ability and Fire weakness​
III. Offensive Megas, Defensive Roles
A. Mega Charizard X
1. Was NU in BW
2. Boosts in Attack, Special Attack, Defense
3. Physical sweeper most common set
4. Will o Wisp and Roost adds defensive set
5. Resists to Steel, Grass
6. Flaw in being weak to Dragon, Ground, Rock​
B. Mega Altaria
1. Was NU in BW
2. Boosts in Attack, Defense, Special Attack
3. Special and Physical Offensive sets
4. Resists Fire, Water, Grass, Dragon
5. Has Heal Bell and great typing
6. Weak to Steel and Ice, and relatively lacks bulk​
C. Mega Latios
1. Had both offensive and defensive utility sets in OU (BW and ORAS)
2. Boosts in Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense
3. Resists Ground, Water, Fire, Fighting
4. Weak to Bug, Fairy, Dragon, Ice, and Dark
5. Extremely bulky and has utility and setup​
IV. Conclusion - mega don't have to be offensive win conditions but rather complements to your team.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I like it. The only hindrance is that in your bullet points you seem to go mostly into detail on resistances/weaknesses and that makes it seem like it'll be a rather repetitive article, unless I'm misunderstanding what you'll be writing about. If you could provide a sample of what you'll be writing, that would also be helpful.

Calling on OU QC @Valmanray trc Valentine

Unlucky Desperado

Banned deucer.
Ok here's a sample

Mega Charizard X

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Back in BW, Charizard was lurking in the depths of NU as a Solar Power sweeper. With the arrival of XY, Charizard gained two mega forms, one of them being the physical sweeper Mega Charizard X. Gaining stat boosts in Attack, Defense, and Special Attack, along with the Tough Claws ability, Mega Charizard X gained relevance in the OU tier as it became one of the premier Dragon Dance users in the metagame with its ability to abuse Tough Claw and STAB boosted Dragon Claws and Flare Blitzes. However with its new Dragon typing, Charizard X was no longer weak to water and gained a new resistance in Electric. Despite being weak to Dragon, Rock, and Ground, common attacking moves, Mega Charizard X found a new defensive set, taking advantage of its 78 / 111 physical bulk.

Charizard's defensive set serves as a bulky pivot, and its effectiveness hinges on its ability to lure in the physical walls that deal with it and cripple them with burns. This creates holes for other physical sweepers to attack. Not only does Mega Charizard X support its teammates, it can hold its own as well. Common threats such as Mega Manectric, Scizor and Bisharp are shut down by Charizard's bulky set, while it can annoy walls such as Slowbro, Hippowdon, and Ferrothorn.

Quarkz

dGltZSBmb3IgbWUgdG8gbW92ZSBvbg==
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Someone like Jellicent will give you access to the workshop. It should explain itself when you are given access, but essentially you just make a thread for your article. In the OP, you put whatever progress you have made, whether it be a skeleton or a draft, and you keep us updated.

You should see Article Workshop now; it's a subforum under The Smog. Be sure to not leak any of the content that's being worked on in there. Also, I recommend swinging by #thesmog on SynIRC. It's a great way to get to know the other writers, artists, GPers, HTMLers, and staff. Welcome to the team ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)