Ubers Defensive Great Tusk [QC 2/2] [GP 1/1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Stealth Rock / Knock Off
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Rapid Spin / Knock Off
move 4: Play Rough / Body Press
item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
ability: Protosynthesis
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
tera type: Fairy / Ground / Water

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Thanks to its solid physical bulk under sun and good defensive typing, Great Tusk acts as one of the best checks to Koraidon while also providing teams with entry hazard removal and a fantastic switch-in to other Ground-types in the tier such as Ting-Lu, Clodsire, and Iron Treads.
  • Play Rough threatens a KO on Koraidon after entry hazard damage. Knock Off can be used to take on Air Balloon Gholdengo and wear down foes that want to switch into Great Tusk such as Corviknight and Annihilape, but it is generally outclassed by the sheer utility of Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock. The combination of Knock Off and Body Press can be used to pressure Corviknight switch-ins. A set of Earthquake, Stealth Rock, Knock Off, and Rapid Spin can also be used for similar utility.
  • Great Tusk can Terastallize into the Fairy typing to take on physical attackers such as Koraidon, Chien-Pao, and Palafin in sun. However, be wary of Terastallizing against Koraidon that can still Terastallize themselves, as Choice Band Tera Fire Koraidon can take on Great Tusk one-on-one. Great Tusk can also Terastallize into the Ground typing or the Water typing, with both options removing its weakness to Fairy. The former also lets it fire off stronger Earthquakes as well, while the latter provides useful resistances to Fire moves from Koraidon as well as Ice- and Water-type moves, barring Freeze-Dry, from Iron Bundle.
  • Great Tusk fits on most teams as a bulky Stealth Rock setter and Koraidon check. Great Tusk can utilize Rocky Helmet to punish the use of U-turn, though this hurts its longevity, as it then loses Leftovers's passive recovery.
  • Great Tusk pairs well with defensive Scream Tail and Blissey, both of which can take on Iron Bundle while also providing Wish support for Great Tusk. Blissey can also take on Chi-Yu and Miraidon, while Scream Tail can take on Iron Valiant.
  • Great Tusk also pairs well with Gholdengo, as it appreciates Great Tusk forcing out Koraidon while preventing hazard removal in exchange. Choice Scarf Chi-Yu is a good partner due to its ability to pressure faster special attackers that trouble Great Tusk such as Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane. Great Tusk also pairs well with Miraidon, as non-Heavy-Duty Boots Miraidon appreciates it removing entry hazards and taking on Clodsire, Iron Treads, and Ting-Lu. Finally, Koraidon is a good partner, as it can set up sun, pivot into Great Tusk, and force out most hazard removal options besides opposing defensive Great Tusk.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Takatk, 595062]]
- Quality checked by: [[Lasen, 273339], [Fc, 511624]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Aurora, 109385], [deetah, 297659]]

Last edited:

corvere

and beneath the mist, i saw my true reflection
is a Top Contributor
this is a AMQC, implement or not depending on what you believe is best for the analysis
this is well written, but i would change some things:
acts as one of the best checks to Koraidon and other physical threats.
such as? i would expand a little here
Earthquake is used for general coverage
you don't want to explain stab moves, only if necessary (see body press vs close combat for example)

and Body Press forces out Chien Pao and Iron Bundle while also applying more pressure on Ting-Lu
you dont force out bundle, quite the opposite actually.

i would say somewhere that the combination knock + bpress pressures corviknight really hard

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
this is a AMQC, implement or not depending on what you believe is best for the analysis
this is well written, but i would change some things:

such as? i would expand a little here

you don't want to explain stab moves, only if necessary (see body press vs close combat for example)

you dont force out bundle, quite the opposite actually.

i would say somewhere that the combination knock + bpress pressures corviknight really hard
Implemented these changes and I meant to say I deterred bundle switch-ins, thanks!

AMQC:

• Great Tusk can also use Tera Fairy to take on Koraidon, Chien-Pao, Iron Valiant, and even non Specs special attackers. However, be wary about using Tera Fairy on Koraidon that can still Tera, as Banded Fire Koraidon can take on Tusk 1v1.
You probably don't want to mention this special attacker bit. It might give people the wrong idea. 53 base SpD is not good at all.

252 SpA Life Orb Flutter Mane Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 179-212 (80.6 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also, I think this might be leaning into the Koraidon check idea just a tad. Great Tusk can have utility without it needing to OHKO Koraidon. A set of EQ, Knock Off, Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock without Tera-ing can do just fine in the meta. I'd also like to add that you can consider mentioning Rocky Helmet as a slash after Leftovers for chip on U-Turns, etc in exchange for longevity.

Taka

coastin' like crazy
PUPL Champion
AMQC:

You probably don't want to mention this special attacker bit. It might give people the wrong idea. 53 base SpD is not good at all.

252 SpA Life Orb Flutter Mane Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 179-212 (80.6 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also, I think this might be leaning into the Koraidon check idea just a tad. Great Tusk can have utility without it needing to OHKO Koraidon. A set of EQ, Knock Off, Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock without Tera-ing can do just fine in the meta. I'd also like to add that you can consider mentioning Rocky Helmet as a slash after Leftovers for chip on U-Turns, etc in exchange for longevity.
implemented these changes, thank you!

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
add
remove
comment
(AC)=add comma
(RC)=remove comma

[SET]
move 1: Stealth Rock/Knock Off
move 2: Earthquake/Body Press
move 3: Rapid Spin/Knock Off
move 4: Play Rough / Body Press I think you can live without Play Rough, but EQ is closer to mandatory
item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Thanks to its solid physical bulk under sun and good defensive typing, Great Tusk acts as one of the best checks to Koraidon and a fantastic switch-in and hazard removal option to face the other grounds Ground-types in the tier such as Ting-Lu, Clodsire, and Iron Treads.
  • Play Rough threatens a KO on Koraidon after entry hazard damage(RC) and Knock Off can also be used to take on opposing maybe mention Air Balloon Gholdengo and wear down mons foes that want to switch in like?, but generally this option is generally outclassed by the sheer utility of Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock. The combination of Knock Off and Body Press can be used to pressure Corviknight switch-ins. A set of Earthquake, Stealth Rock, Knock Off, and Rapid Spin can also be used for similar utility.
  • Great Tusk can also use Tera Fairy Terastallize into the Fairy-typing to take on physical attackers such as Koraidon, Chien-Pao, and Palafin in sun. However, be wary about using Terastallizing against Fairy on Koraidon that can still Terastallize themselves, as Banded Choice Band Tera Fire Koraidon can take on Tusk 1v1. Write the other Tera explanations here; both are for non-Play Rough and remove the Moonblast weakness / make it resist Fire/Ice/Water moves from Koraidon and Iron Bundle respectively
  • Great Tusk fits on most teams as a bulky rocker and Koraidon check, but lacks recovery outside of Leftovers. I'd rather you explain WHEN you use Rocky Helmet and bring up that Great Tusk is hurt by its lack of recovery if it decides to go down that route.
  • Great Tusk pairs well with defensive Scream Tail, who which can take on Iron Valiant and Iron Bundle for it while also providing Wish support for Great Tusk. Tusk It also pairs well with Gholdengo, who which appreciates Great Tusk forcing out Koraidon and can take on special attackers for it, while preventing Corviknight from defogging on Great Tusk. Chi-Yu is also a great partner, with Scarfed Variants Choice Scarf variants able to force out faster special attackers that pivot in. Blissey can also take on special attackers for Tusk, also providing and provides a form of recovery in Wish(RC) and can paralyze physical attackers so for Great Tusk can to take them on better. Great Tusk also pairs well with Miraidon, as non-Heavy-Duty Boots Miraidon appreciates Tusk it removing entry hazards and taking on Iron Treads and Ting-Lu. Finally, Koraidon itself is a good partner due to setting up the Sun sun, being able to pivoting and bring into Great Tusk, and forcing out most hazard removal options besides opposing defensive Great Tusk.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Lasen, 273339], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

there's still work to be done here and the two AM checks weren't thorough enough nor in time for me to rubber stamp. This will need another check just to be sure. We talked about this set extensively in the QCers channel, hence a lot of changes made.
some notes for future analyses: ALL Pokemon and Item names need to be written out in full; Yes, you have to write Great Tusk every time, yes you have to write Leftovers/ Heavy-Duty Boots every time you mention them. The term "mons" is also not exactly accepted, nor are things like "grounds" to talk about Ground-types. feel free to read the GP standards once more if you decide to continue writing.

1/2 after implementation
QC_stamp.gif

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I feel strongly that Headlong Rush is necessary on Tusk with uninvested attack because it guarantees the OHKO on Flutter and 0/4 Gholdengo (also 248/8 Clodsire), and Tera Fire Koraidon after 1 Rocky Helmet turn.

I have almost exclusively used Tera Steel on defensive Tusk because it can survive in a pinch vs Flutter/Bundle/Chien/Gholdengo and OHKOs each in return with Headlong Rush/Body Press.

252 HP/4 SpD EVs should only be recommended with Leftovers, otherwise Tusk should run 240 HP/16 SpD so that residual damage (Rocky Helmet/Spikes etc.) rounds down; the SpDef points make more of a difference to special damage rolls anyway.

Last edited:

Taka

coastin' like crazy
PUPL Champion
I feel strongly that Headlong Rush is necessary on Tusk with uninvested attack because it guarantees the OHKO on Flutter and 0/4 Gholdengo (also 248/8 Clodsire), and Tera Fire Koraidon after 1 Rocky Helmet turn.

I have almost exclusively used Tera Steel on defensive Tusk because it can survive in a pinch vs Flutter/Bundle/Chien/Gholdengo and OHKOs each in return with Headlong Rush/Body Press.

252 HP/4 SpD EVs should only be recommended with Leftovers, otherwise Tusk should run 240 HP/16 SpD so that residual damage (Rocky Helmet/Spikes etc.) rounds down; the SpDef points make more of a difference to special damage rolls anyway.
After a layer of rocks, both Flutter and Dengo are almost guaranteed to be OHKOd:

4 Atk Great Tusk Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 288-338 (91.4 - 107.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

4 Atk Great Tusk Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flutter Mane: 220-261 (87.6 - 103.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I also think Headlong worsens the matchup against Koraidon, making it much harder to check SD:

Koraidon can SD on the headlong and now OHKO you with Collision Course or Flare Blitz, whereas EQ is consistent damage that doesn’t lower this sets defensive utility.

+2 252 Atk Orichalcum Pulse Koraidon Collision Course vs. -1 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 400-472 (92.1 - 108.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

The EV spread I will look into though, thanks.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
After a layer of rocks, both Flutter and Dengo are almost guaranteed to be OHKOd
Yeah, I'm aware of that, but SR is an additional requirement, which is obviously not always going to be up, and the kicker that EQ is "almost guaranteed" to OHKO is just a longer way of saying not guaranteed.

Headlong Rush has excellent synergy with Tera Steel as explained. It also shouldn't be Tusk's primary attack vs Koraidon anyway, because Proto Body Press and/or Play Rough are considerably more potent.

Your calc looks strange BTW, are you sure that you've accounted for 516 Def in Sun?

Last edited:

Taka

coastin' like crazy
PUPL Champion
Yeah, I'm aware of that, but SR is an additional requirement which is obviously not always going to be up, and the kicker that EQ is "almost guaranteed" to OHKO is just a longer way of saying not guaranteed.

Headlong Rush has excellent synergy with Tera Steel as explained. It also shouldn't be Tusk's primary attack vs Koraidon anyway, because Proto Body Press and/or Play Rough are considerably more potent.

Your calc looks strange BTW, are you sure you've accounted for 516 Def in Sun?
Ah the defensive drop messed with the sun boost, it should be 65-70 percent instead, and I see what you’re saying about Headlong Rush. I’m not quite sure yet, but I’ll take a look at Headlong Rush in more detail.

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Great Tusk can Terastallize into the Fairy-typing to take on physical attackers such as Koraidon, Chien-Pao, and Palafin in sun. However, be wary about Terastallizing against Koraidon that can still Terastallize themselves, as Choice Band Tera Fire Koraidon can take on Tusk 1v1. Great Tusk can also Terastallize into the Ground-typing or the Water-typing, with both removing its Play Rough weakness. The former lets it throw off stronger Earthquakes as well, while the latter provides useful resistances to Fire moves from Koraidon and Ice/Water moves from Iron Bundle.

Great Tusk fits on most teams as a bulky rocker and Koraidon check, and can utilize Rocky Helmet to punish U-turns, though this hurts its longevity thanks to a lack of recovery.
Like Lasen said, short forms are usually not allowed for writing, clean this up just to make gp's job a bit easier. I bolded the stuff I saw but I might have missed some things.

The last bullet point is way too long, I think it should at least be split into 2, with defensive and offensive teammates. First one can emphasize Blissey and Scream Tail passing Wish, while the second can have the offensive mentioned, just a bit more concise imo.

Tag when done and I'll look it over once more and stamp

amcheck, implement what you'd like

add
remove

comments

[SET]
item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet (added spaces)

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Thanks to its solid physical bulk under sun and good defensive typing, Great Tusk acts as one of the best checks to Koraidon and while also providing teams with hazard removal and a fantastic switch-in and hazard removal option to take on other Ground-types in the tier such as Ting-Lu, Clodsire, and Iron Treads.
  • Play Rough threatens a KO on Koraidon after entry hazard damage. (add full stop) and Knock Off can be used to take on Air Balloon Gholdengo and wear down foes that want to switch into Great Tusk such as Corviknight and Annihilape, but it is generally outclassed by the sheer utility of Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock. The combination of Knock Off and Body Press can be used to pressure Corviknight switch-ins. A set of Earthquake, Stealth Rock, Knock Off, and Rapid Spin can also be used for similar utility.
  • Great Tusk can Terastallize into the Fairy typing Fairy-typing to take on physical attackers such as Koraidon, Chien-Pao, and Palafin in sun. However, be wary about of Terastallizing against Koraidon that can still Terastallize themselves, as Choice Band Tera Fire Koraidon can take on Great Tusk one-on-one 1v1. Great Tusk can also Terastallize into the Ground typing Ground-typing or the Water typing Water-typing, with both options removing its Play Rough weakness. The former also lets it fire throw off stronger (you have an extra space here) Earthquakes as well, while the latter provides useful resistances to Fire-type moves from Koraidon and Ice- and Water-type moves, barring Freeze-Dry, from Iron Bundle barring Freeze-Dry.
  • Great Tusk fits on most teams as a bulky rocker Stealth Rock setter and Koraidon check. (full stop) , and Great Tusk can utilize Rocky Helmet to punish use of U-turns, though this hurts its longevity, (AC) thanks to a lack of as it then loses Leftovers's passive recovery.
  • Great Tusk pairs well with defensive Scream Tail and Blissey, both of which can take on Iron Bundle while also providing Wish support for Great Tusk. Blissey can also take on Chi-Yu and Miraidon, while Scream Tail can take on Iron Valiant.
  • Great Tusk also pairs well with Gholdengo, which as it appreciates Great Tusk forcing out Koraidon, (RC) while preventing hazard removal in exchange. Choice Scarf Chi-Yu is a good partner due to its ability to pressure faster special attackers (like?) that pivot in trouble Great Tusk. Great Tusk also pairs well with Miraidon, as non-Heavy-Duty Boots Miraidon appreciates it removing entry hazards and taking on Clodsire, Iron Treads, and Ting-Lu. Finally, Koraidon is a good partner, (AC) as it can set due to setting up sun, pivot pivoting into Great Tusk, and force forcing out most hazard removal options besides opposing defensive Great Tusk.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Lasen, 273339], [fc, 511624]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Last edited:

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Implement carefully and credit Aurora in the credits section.

Aurora's colors:
add
remove

comments

My colors: Add Remove Comments

GP 1/1

Dragapult_Stamp.gif

[SET]
item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet (added spaces)

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Thanks to its solid physical bulk under sun and good defensive typing, Great Tusk acts as one of the best checks to Koraidon and while also providing teams with entry hazard removal and a fantastic switch-in and hazard removal option to take on other Ground-types in the tier such as Ting-Lu, Clodsire, and Iron Treads.
  • Play Rough threatens a KO on Koraidon after entry hazard damage. (add full stop) and Knock Off can be used to take on Air Balloon Gholdengo and wear down foes that want to switch into Great Tusk such as Corviknight and Annihilape, but it is generally outclassed by the sheer utility of Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock. The combination of Knock Off and Body Press can be used to pressure Corviknight switch-ins. A set of Earthquake, Stealth Rock, Knock Off, and Rapid Spin can also be used for similar utility.
  • Great Tusk can Terastallize into the Fairy typing Fairy-typing to take on physical attackers such as Koraidon, Chien-Pao, and Palafin in sun. However, be wary about of Terastallizing against Koraidon that can still Terastallize themselves, as Choice Band Tera Fire Koraidon can take on Great Tusk one-on-one 1v1. Great Tusk can also Terastallize into the Ground typing Ground-typing or the Water typing Water-typing, with both options removing its Play Rough weakness to Fairy. The former also lets it fire throw off stronger (you have an extra space here) Earthquakes as well, while the latter provides useful resistances to Fire-type moves from Koraidon and as well as Ice- and Water-type moves, barring Freeze-Dry, from Iron Bundle barring Freeze-Dry.
  • Great Tusk fits on most teams as a bulky rocker Stealth Rock setter and Koraidon check. (full stop) , and Great Tusk can utilize Rocky Helmet to punish the use of U-turns, though this hurts its longevity, (AC) thanks to a lack of as it then loses Leftovers's passive recovery.
  • Great Tusk also pairs well with Gholdengo, which as it appreciates Great Tusk forcing out Koraidon, (RC) while preventing hazard removal in exchange. Choice Scarf Chi-Yu is a good partner due to its ability to pressure faster special attackers (like?) that pivot in trouble Great Tusk. Great Tusk also pairs well with Miraidon, as non-Heavy-Duty Boots Miraidon appreciates it removing entry hazards and taking on Clodsire, Iron Treads, and Ting-Lu. Finally, Koraidon is a good partner, (AC) as it can set due to setting up sun, pivot pivoting into Great Tusk, and force forcing out most hazard removal options besides opposing defensive Great Tusk.

[CREDITS] (Removed bold from credits)
- Quality checked by: [[Lasen, 273339], [Fc, 511624]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Aurora, 109385], [deetah, 297659]]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)