Defense In Little Cup

I like how a lot of sets have been posted! The Quaser nice submission! Although I found the description a little bit vague. Not to worry because I will edit the description to make it a little bit better later ( mainly explaining what its move do among other things)

[...]
Thanks a lot, Superpowerdude. You are right, description's set is really too bare of details. I'll try to do better next time.

No problem :) Its good that you are contributing to my thread and I hope you keep it up, edited. Also I took out the bit where you mentioned it works well with Chinchou or Frillish and as a result put this in the defensive cores part

Ferroseed @Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 164 HP / 188 Def / 148 SDef
Relaxed / Impish Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Protect / Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball / Bullet Seed

Frillish @ Eviolite
Trait: Cursed Body
Level: 5
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
- Recover

This de-evolved version of OU's famous "Ferrocent" core is a very good defensive core and is great to use on teams that force switches or have phasing due to how hard it is to get rid of Ferroseeds hazards. Basically Ferroseed sets up Spikes and Stealth Rock quite easily. Ferroseeds only weaknesses are Fire and Figthting which Frillish resists and is immune to. Frillish with its Ghost-type ensures that the opponent can't spin on it and it can also spread status with either Toxic or Will-o-Wisp. Its weaknesses, Ghost, Dark, Fire, and Electric are all resisted by Ferroseed letting the two keep switching in and out. With recovery in the form of Leech Seed and Recover if this core is played correctly it is very hard to break.

By Superpowerdude

Blergh, sorry, exams and stuff c.c

Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 132 HP / 20 Atk / 212 Def / 100 SDef / 20 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Hippopotas was, among its Little Cup friends, one of the most popular Pokemon in the playground. Everyone wanted to be on his team. The reason? Sand Stream. Everyone loved to play in the sand that Hippopotas summoned, especially Drilbur and Lileep, Sandshrew too. The sand gave them powers they could only dream of having before Hippopotas poked its absurdly huge nose into the Little Cup tier. But while the Hippo wallowed around in the mud, playing with his Ground- and Rock-type friends, on the other side of the playground, Hippopotas' nemesis, Snover, gathered his clique of outcasts to strike back against the reign (or sand) of terror that Hippopotas had enjoyed. But Hippopotas, being the excellent defensive Pokemon it is, would not have this. Superb 68 / 78 / 42 defenses, bolstered further by Eviolite, meant that Hippopotas would not go down easily. All of his teammates loved his ability to lay down Stealth Rock to damage foes as they switch in, wounding Snover for 25% every time it entered the battlefield. Slack Off is another trick up Hippopotas' proverbial sleeves, after taking a beating, it is able to recover its lost health, so its Sand Stream can stay around for longer. Whirlwind can dismiss foolish set-up sweepers who think they can grab a boost and demolish his team. And finally, Earthquake, though not the most powerful, is boosted by STAB and comes off Hippopotas' rather impressive base 72 Attack stat, will deal decent damage to many foes, including the Steel-types who are not damaged by the Sandstorm. Hippopotas is able to shrug off attacks from some of the most prevalent physical threats in the tier. SubRoost Offensive and Scarfed Murkrow are stopped in their tracks, dealing only 36 - 48% to Hippopotas, while the Hippo can simply Slack Off any damage done and Whirlwind away its Substitues. Hippopotas only fears Knock Off or Life Orb Hi Jump Kick from Mienfoo. Timburr will try to stealthily steal Hippopotas' health, but once more, Slack Off means it camouflaged exterior will not be penetrated. Scraggy cannot set-up due to Whirlwind. Larvesta will quickly fall to a combination of Stealth Rock, Flare Blitz damage and Sand damage. Alas, while Hippopotas is one of the most popular amoung its Little Cup brethen, it is one of the most hated among Little Cup players. As it sits there across the battle-field, twitching its nostrils indignantly, you will have to suppress an urge to punch it in the eyes. Anything to get its smug little face off your screen. For its Bulk, Utility, and most certainty its ability, Hippopotas stands out as a great defensive Little Cup Pokemon.

eh, sorry if this is too fluffy, I needed a break from revision and this was kinda fun to write. tell me if you need me to cut it down a bit :)
and sorry it took so long! >.<

are you still working on Hipopotas?

Edit: kind of pointless post since I could of just vm'd him, so I will edit this with a submission later

Nosepass@ Eviolite
Level 5
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Atk / 160 Def / 36 SDef / 36 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Pain Split

As promised last week to Superpowerdude, that's is a defensive pokemon, certainly not among the most usual but I think to be considered as a fair defensive pokemon. Only #79 on usage rank, Nosepass has a good defense and superlative special defense. It is also one of the few pokemon with Taunt (preventing different moves from direct attacking moves) and which can put Stealth Rock on the foe's side. Combined with the ability Sturdy that prevents OHKO moves. The Evs are balanced assigned, focusing on HP and Def (which is also done with Impish nature).
Finally, completing the moves available: Pain Split allows Nosepass a good recovery move while Stone Edge is a good STAB move choice, due to its high power.

Shellder@Evolite<p>Trait: Overcoat/Skill Link</p>EVs: 236 Spd/38 Def/236 Atk<p>Careful Nature</p>-Rapid Spin/Ice Shard/Return -Iron Defense -Razor Shell/Rock Blast -Avalanche/Icicle Spear<p>While not an overlooked pokemon, Shellder is often just thought of for one thing: It's access to Shell Smash and Skill Link. While it's true that it really does have those two things, if you back away for a moment, you can see that it has a rather impressive Defense coupled with an already respectable Attack stat.</p>True, it also has a Scarf set, but what if it stopped trying to boost it's speed and started playing it's other strengths? The stat spread is to help patch up Shellder's one real weakness in SpD which is really sad, even with Evolite. But this meta is dominated by a large amount of pokemon that play off the Atk stat, with it's weakness obvious in Missy and Chincho, it does what it can and walls any Atker. It has access to good moves: RapidSpin, Iron Defense, RockBlast/IcicleSpear, priority, and Avalanche... :D

Ive got someone new

Skorupi@Eviolite
Battle Armor
Bold
196 HP/100 Def/ 156 SpD/ 20 Spe
Toxic Spikes
X-Scissor/Taunt
Whirlwind
Knock Off

While hippopotas and snover were duking it out in the sand, skorupi was playing by himself under thier feet thinking "If only someone would use me, they would see how good I am." Well that day is today. With this set, skorupi becomes my playmate and is actually pretty neat. It has good typing, and walls even the poke that defines LC. Yeah, it actually walls Mienfoo outside of SE but its sill a 2HKO giving it time to whirlwind him out. Wish support(does anything even get wish?) is smart to run becuase skorupi gets no recovery. It also survives 3 hits from gastly's shadowball (That means you superpowerdude)

Ok I will add in Skorupi and hippo. I am still not eniterly convinced on Nosepass, because it is stopped by pretty much every single fighting-type and they are also very common. Riolu, Croagunk, Mienfoo, Timburr, Scraggy can all set up on it and get past it easy. Also Tailstheefox your set doesn't look to good tbh and the format is a little messy haha.

Also I will post one of the greatest pokemon in LC.

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 156 HP / 76 Atk / 196 Def / 76 Spd
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- U-turn
- Fake Out
- Knock Off

Mienfoo is a very effective pivot with U-turn and Regenerator restoring 1/3 of its health upon switching. Its also got very good defense with Eviolite, an Impish nature and the given ev spread letting it take many physical hits and be one of the more reliable checks to Scraggy out there. Drain Punch adds on to Mienfoos longetivity with it restoring HP as well as functioning as a decent powered Stab move. Knock Off, lets Mienfoo support its team mates by removing the opponents Eviolites, Choice Scarfs, etc. Fake Out breaks sashes, sturdies and just provides good priority. A well played Mienfoo will not die for a very long time and Mienfoo can fit on just about every Little Cup team.

Foongus @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 76 SAtk / 76 SDef / 76 Spd / 124 HP / 156 Def
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Stun Spore
- Clear Smog

Along Routes 6 and 7 of the Unova region, Foongus like to hide in tall grass, craftily disguised as items. One races joyfully to the supposed Pokeball, wondering what precious treasures are contained within it, only to have one's hopes crushed, as a Foongus rears it Pokeball-shaped head. The faces of children all over the world when the mushroom Pokemon appears suddenly in battle in this manner is the same as the faces of those on Pokemon simulators, where Foongus is just as mind-numbingly annoying. At first it is unclear what makes it so, sporting only an average defensive spread of 69/45/55. Its Grass-typing leaves it weak to the STABs of two very common Pokemon in Little Cup: Murkrow and Snover. Its secret is a gift from the Dream World: an ability that transforms the seemingly mediocre Foongus into a useful defensive pivot. Regenerator means that every time Foongus relinquishes itself from the battlefield, one third of its health is miraculously restored. To extenuate this annoying trait, Poison-typing is a godsend in a tier riddled with Fighting-types, meaning Foongus is one of the best checks to Timburr, Scraggy, Mienfoo (that lack Knock Off) and many more. Spore is a move that the Mushroom Pokemon adore, which, in tandem with the 5th generation's sleep mechanics, means that Foongus is capable of often completely removing a Pokemon from the opponent's team for the whole game. Stun Spore lets Foongus cripple many common switch-ins, such as Murkrow, who hates the paralysis that this move brings. Giga Drain further aids Foongus' recovery, while Clear Smog means Foongus is no longer set-up bait. It is a combination of ability, movepool, and to a certain extent, typing, that make Foongus the defensive threat is it. They ensure that Foongus will stay hated by foolhardy trainers on Routes 6 and 7, and by competitive battlers alike.

Good choice, I had really thought about it
Thanks, it was fun to write :]

Hey, me again. Got a intresting core (Hey dont judge me that I have the highest SpD wall in LC) anyway I am proud to introduce the Man-Chou-Zor core. Its a delicous core I set up so lets jump in.

Mantyke@Eviolite
Water Absorb
Calm
156 HP/ 116 Def/ 36 SpA/ 196 SpD
  • Scald
  • Air Slash
  • Rest
  • Sleep Talk

Chinchou@Eviolite
Volt Absorb
Modest
52 Def/ 232 SpA/ 224 Spe
  • Hydro Pump
  • Volt Switch
  • Heal Bell
  • Hidden Power Grass

Bronzor@Eviolite
Levitate
Bold
224 HP/ 68 Def/ 4 SpA/ 148 SpD/ 16 Spe
  • Phychic
  • Stealth Rock
  • Flash Cannon
  • Toxic

This core is amazing becuase all of the teamates are like cogs, if mantyke uses rest and Lillep comes in, I can go to bronzor and toxic, then switch into chinchou to heal bell. I truely wanted to add hypnosis to bronzor, but in hand to lillep combat, toxic is just the safest. As for type coverage, my core is untouchable excluding ghost which can be delt with by mantyke by its monumental SpD stat. These are actally pretty good walls, underated yes, but effective. So lets hit the statistics.

Statistics
236 Atk Life Orb Mienfoo Stone Edge vs. 156 HP / 116 Def Eviolite Mantyke: 18-23 (78.26 - 100%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO: And thats literaly all it can do to a Calm mantyke but, on the flip side

36 SpA Mantyke Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mienfoo: 20-26 (95.23 - 123.8%) --75% chance to OHKO: A little scary huh?

236 Atk Murkrow Brave Bird vs. 156 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Mantyke: 10-13 (43.47 - 56.52%) --59.38% chance to 2HKO: Dang, mantyke is a beast

36 SpA Mantyke Scald vs. 36 HP /20 SpD Eviolite Murkrow in rain: 12-15 (52.17 - 65.21%) --guaranteed 2HKO: This one is in the rain but whatever

232+ SpA Chinchou Volt Switch vs. 236 HP / 76+ SpD Eviolite Frillish: 12-14 (48 - 56%) -- 12.11% chance to 2HKO: And this is frillish we are talking about

232+ SpA Chinchou Hydro Pump vs. 196 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Lickitung in rain: 12-15 (42.85 -53.57%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO:Lickitung is a huge SpD wall (Hey I found a LC poke with wish!)

232+ SpA Chinchou Hydro Pump vs. 220 HP / 148+ SpD Eviolite Bronzor: 7-10 (28 - 40%) --96.68% chance to 3HKO: Bold Bronzor. This is just insane

Hey, me again. Got a intresting core (Hey dont judge me that I have the highest SpD wall in LC) anyway I am proud to introduce the Man-Chou-Zor core. Its a delicous core I set up so lets jump in.

Mantyke@Eviolite
Water Absorb
Calm
156 HP/ 116 Def/ 36 SpA/ 196 SpD
  • Scald
  • Air Slash
  • Rest
  • Sleep Talk

Chinchou@Eviolite
Volt Absorb
Modest
52 Def/ 232 SpA/ 224 Spe
  • Hydro Pump
  • Volt Switch
  • Heal Bell
  • Hidden Power Grass

Bronzor@Damp Rock
Levitate
Bold
224 HP/ 68 Def/ 4 SpA/ 148 SpD/ 16 Spe
  • Rain Dance
  • Stealth Rock
  • Flash Cannon
  • Toxic

Hey, I have used a similar core to this before (without Bronzor) and quite liked it. A couple of things - I'm not sure why Bronzor has Damp Rock and Rain Dance, because your Mantyke isn't Swift Swim, I know it powers up their STABs, it's just Bronzor loses a lot of bulk without Eviolite. I would suggest either using standard Bronzor, or just leaving it off the core for this thread, and letting other people decide on a Lileep check for themselves. Just my two cents, nice core. :)

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I actually have it just to stop grass types and sand rush drill
Mantyke is actually already a great stop to Grass-types that aren't named Lileep and Ferroseed. Every other Grass-types is dealt with by Mantyke. Bronzor is still a good option for dealing with Lileep and Drilbur but Leech Seed Ferroseed is a real thorn (geddit:naughty:?) in this cores side.

Another thing I can see breaking through this core are set up sweepers. Scraggy can set up and take everything on, Dragons like Dratini and Axew can set up and cause havoc. I know Bronzor resists Dragon but it can't do much back whilst they can set-up to +3 or +4 on it. Tirtouga can use your own rain to power up it's Aqua Tail and take on your core. Nasty Plot Misdreavus just decimates the core if it has Thunderbolt...
Stealth Rock also annoys this core. With Volt-Switch Chinchou does a lot of switching and Mantyke is easy to wear down with Rocks on the field. Another thing that can damage this core is Knock Off. Without Eviolite all of your mons are a lot less effective, although this is a problem with most defensive cores. I'm gonna agree with Icicle Fissh and say that Bronzor needs Eviolite. Even if you only get rain for 5 turns, it doesn't matter as it isn't that useful and Eviolite will make Bronzor a lot bulkier.

I'm not saying this is a bad core, but you only have 3 members left to deal with quite a few problems.

I agree with Icicle Fissh and Corkscrew. Bronzor needs Eviolite if this core doesn't want to get beaten by a load of set up sweepers. Because of this I am debating as to whether or not I should archive the core since it loses to many common set up sweepers. However, I guess I will add it in anyway because it is the only core that utilises Rain Dance.

Speaking of cores this core was posted in an old smog article and I have been using it recently and it works wonders

Larvesta @ Eviolite
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 156 Def / 36 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp

Staryu @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 36 HP / 196 SAtk / 236 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Porygon @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SDef
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Basically a healthy Porygon can wall anything that isn't fighting-type with its recovery, and extremely good defenses. The Fighting-types that threaten Porygon are generally beaten by Larvesta unless they carry a Rock-type move. This is because Larvesta resists Fighting-type and has the ability Flame Body, letting it often cripple physical attackers by inflicting them with a burn. A burned Pokémon is then walled even easier by Porygon, making it virtually impossible to take it down. Larvesta has Will-o-Wisp for the times where you don't want to rely on Flame Body to burn the opponent. It also acts as a great pivot with U-turn. Much like Porygon, Larvesta also has reliable recovery in the form of Morning Sun. They both also have quite strong Stab moves with Tri Attack and Flare Blitz respectively. Staryu completes the core by providing rapid spin support to help aid Larvesta's crippling 4x Stealth Rock weakness. Like the other two members, Staryu has a powerful Stab Hydro Pump and reliable recovery with Recover. Larvesta also covers Staryu's Grass-type weakness with a 4x resist to the type and Porygon can generally wall Electric-types. A good example of this would be tracing Chinchou's Volt Absorb so you gain health when it Volt Switches or Thunderbolts. Staryu also is a status absorber with Natural Cure which is great because Toxic Obviosuly cripples Larvesta and Porygon.

Edit: GFP can you please put your sets in the importable format? :)

Ok I promised nosepass. Im playing th waiting game in the C@C forum so, enjoy

Nosepass@Eviolite
Magnet Pull
Bold
196 HP/ 156 Def/ 112 SpD/ 36 Spe
Stealth Rock
HP Fire
Power Gem
Taunt

Nosepass is meant to deal with ferrothorn, we all know that. But with taunt, nosepass takes walling into the next level. HP Fire is to deal with all the steel types being trapped, and power gem is to deal with flying types and larvesta.

Watch the waiting game in action in the link below. Will you break the silence?

@GFP in importable format please I will not add your set! Also expand on the description a bit. (and add a sprite)

Anyway hear I am with another Pokémon:

Shroomish @ Eviolite
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Def / 36 SAtk / 36 SDef
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Stun Spore
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis / Hidden Power [Fire]

On a first glance, Shroomish may seem outclassed by Foongus as a bulky Grass-type and user of the friggin cheapest move in the game: Spore which is a 100% accurate sleep move. This is because Foongus has access to Regenerator and has a Fighting-type resistance. However, Shroomish has a few small advantages over it making it often worthy of a teamslot despite its few disadvantages to Foongus. The First one being a Ground-type resist. This lets Shroomish counter sand a little more reliably than Foongus and it can even live a +2 X-Scissor from Adamant LO Drilbur! Poison Heal is also a great ability and further helps against sand by not allowing Lileep to spam Toxic. With Eviolite + a poisoned status, Shroomish is incredibly hard to take down. Spore and Stun Spore provide harmful status that helps support your team. Particularily strong set up sweepers like Scraggy, Misdreavus and shell smashers. Giga Drain is for Stab and recovery. The last slot is a toss up between Synthesis for recovery, and Hidden Power Fire mainly for coverage against Ferroseed and Snover switchins. I often see players using Toxic Orb on Shroomish and please don't, its stupid Eviolite provides more longetivity.

I agree with Superpowerdude about Shroomish usefulness. I choose always it with Chinchou and with a slightly different set; in particular, Effect Spore instead Poison Heal, I think it can be more useful to cause a 30% chance to paralyze, poison, or sleep opponent pokemons and Toxic for Stun Spore, for higher accuracy on switch opposing (sleeping?) pokemon.

+2 236+ Atk Life Orb Drilbur X-Scissor vs. 196 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Shroomish: 26-31 (104 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 29, 29, 29, 29, 29, 29, 29, 29, 31)

Shroomish can only take on the Shadow claw set, not the x-scissors set.

@The Quasar Toxic is also good on Shroomish yeah. I will slash that with Stun Spore because both are good for crippling switch ins. Effect Spore is nice because in a way it is less situational than Poison Heal. However, I still love Poison Heal for its ability to make Shroomish a great Lileep switch in against sand and the fact that a Toxic'd Eviolite Shroomish is incredibly hard to take down.

@TehMexicanDewd wtf looks like a missed calc'd -_- I will change that thanks!

Hi guys I'm kinda new to the forums, but i'll give a set that I enjoy using of a defensive mon!

Staryu @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 76 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

This is probably my favorite staryu set to use. Bulky Staryu can take loads of physical attacks, mainly from the likes of Drilbur and Sandshrew. Cause more often then not, if you aren't running sand, you have a Snover. Even if there is no weather out Staryu is just a generally bulky mon, does it compete with the like or porygon and others? no. But, what it does do is rapid spin great supporting role for a defensive mon, especially if paired with snover, and Larvesta, Pokes that hate stealth rocks. The 76 EVs in Sp.Atk and Modest nature are to be able to OHKO Hippopotas. Only Niche Staryu has is it's ability, Natural Cure. Natural Cure will allow Staryu to be able to switch into many kinds of status inflicting moves and be able to switch out with no harm done at all. Unfortuanately Foongus still poses a problem because it can 2HKO Staryu with Giga Drain, but i guess that's why there is 6 pokemon on a team and not just one P: Hope you guys like it!

236 Atk Drilbur Earthquake vs. 196 HP / 236 Def Eviolite Staryu: 9-12 (40.9 - 54.54%) -- 9.77% chance to 2HKO < Mold Breaker Set
(9, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 12) (Can KO back with Hpump, or recover stall Drilbur)

236+ Atk Larvesta U-turn vs. 196 HP / 236 Def Eviolite Staryu: 7-9 (31.81 - 40.9%) -- 61.55% chance to 3HKO
(7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 9)

236+ Atk Larvesta Flare Blitz vs. 196 HP / 236 Def Eviolite Staryu: 6-7 (27.27 - 31.81%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
(6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 7)

240 SpA Misdreavus Shadow Ball vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Staryu: 9-12 (40.9 - 54.54%) -- 9.77% chance to 2HKO
(9, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 12)

76 Atk Mienfoo Drain Punch vs. 196 HP / 236 Def Eviolite Staryu: 7-9 (31.81 - 40.9%) -- 61.55% chance to 3HKO
(7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 9)

76+ SpA Staryu Hydro Pump vs. 132 HP / 100 SpD Eviolite Hippopotas: 24-30 (96 - 120%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO
(24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 30)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)