Dark Horse Project v 2.0 (see Post #83)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark Horse_Zebstrika.jpg

Welcome to the new UU Dark Horse Project!

The Dark Horse Project has been a foundation for UU for quite a time. It gives both new, and even the most seasoned of, players the opportunity to go out and explore the Dark Horses.

But, what is a Dark Horse you ask? A Dark Horse is a Pokémon that has doesn't have much usage in the current meta, but is able to carve itself out a niche that separates it from the other top tier mons. A Dark Horse is able to take teams by surprise whether it is due to sheer power, utility, typing, etc...

So, in the past we have used different methods to gauge a Pokémon's viability. This edition of Dark Horse will be utilizing USAGE STATISTICS.

Interested in trying out this great project? Great! Here are the rules!
1. You must start with a fresh alt (and send proof of fresh alt to me, whether in PM or publicly). Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
2. Usage stats are posted early in the month and this is how you will determine your team.
3. You must use 2 Dark Horses every month, where each Dark Horse mon must have less than 3.5% usage.
4. You cannot exceed a total % of 25% for your entire team. So, if you are looking to use Salamence (21.19%), you will have an uphill battle, with only 3.81% remaining for 5 members.
5. Interested in raising your Team % limit? Then try the featured Dark Horse of the month! This will raise your limit by 3% for a new total of 28%!
-5.A: If we are having 2 DH, then using both will raise your total by 6%!
6. No new drops, or Pokémon being Suspect Testing, can be used during this month's project!
7. In order to be ranked, you must hit 1300 (C-Rank), 1400 (B-Rank), 1500 (A-Rank) or 1600+ (S-Rank)

Ready to get this started? Here are the usage statistics for April along with the Featured Dark Horse! Good luck!

http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-04/uu-1630.txt

This month's Featured Dark Horses are Venusaur. The reason for this choice may not seem too obvious, but Venusaur has a pretty good niche to fill at the moment. With Sylveon and Conkeldurr dropping to UU (and Amoongus riding the OU train), the need for harder checks is hard to find for these new power houses.
Venusaur is able to act as a Sun Sweeper, or bulky wall with access to Sleep Powder, STAB Poison moves and key resists to Fairy and Fighting. It's bulk and attacking options are pretty decent, to say the least

Last edited:
With that being said, I am putting my hat into the race!

Fresh Alt: Hoopa1088

Hoopa (3.46)
Kyurem (2.82)
Tangrowth (1.10)
Snorlax (4.98)
Umbreon (5.14)
Donphan (7.56)

Total= 25.06/28

I would love to participate! I will use this post to show my milestones During the month of december, and will post EDITS with dates and ranking

ALT: EeyoreHoopa
EDIT:

Hoopa is used as a Sweeper in this team, and sees very little play unless strictly necessary. However, it still takes on threats like Roserade, Azelf, Banded Heracross and cleans up already weakened threats by Abomasnow or Toxicroak

Quagsire is the second Dark Horse, whose ability Unaware is greatly underestimated with the plethora of sweepers in the tier. Acting as a defensive wall, and with the amazing Water/Ground typing, Quagsire happily sponges attacks from Gatr, Sharpedo, and despite lackluster Special Defense, eats up Zapdos and Rotom-H. The ability to stall out Arcanine helps with so many physical sweepers, and with access to the best move in the game in Scald, has 2 ways to status the opponent

Abomasnow is strictly used for access to Ice Shard and perfect accuracy Blizzards. Snow Warning shuts down Swampert-Mega, and breaks Sashes to stop Galvantula from destroying this teams already mediocre speed. Ice Shard, even with a little investment, OHKOs Mega Sceptile, and does serious damage to threats like Crobat and Salamence. However, it is Blizzard and Giga Drain that do the most, providing an incredibly strong STAB and reliable recovery. Wood Hammer can be used to stop Suicune, but Toxicroak tends to do that job better. Substitute is added to predict switches and guarantee a strong attack without need to take serious damage. The nature can be adjusted and such, but I left it as the smogon analysis explained

Snorlax holds a dual role as both a Special tank, and a Curse Sweeper. Snorlax is usually a set-up wallbreaker, and allows pokemon like Croak and Hoopa to clean up. Access only to Body Slam may seem a hinderance, but with Hoopa taking on all Ghost types, it tends to be more of a lure. Predict those Jellicents and Snorlax can take on anything.

Toxicroak was mainly added for Sucker Punch, but the ability to stop CroCune, Florges (which wrecks without Croak) and Steel types with Drain Punch couldn't be passed up

AV Goodra is a good sponge, and keeps Snorlax from needing to tank so many hits. With most other Dragon Types being taken care of by Abomasnow, and a serious lack of Ice Types outside of Mamoswine, Goodra can freely spam strong attacks. Sap Sipper challenges Roserade, Chesnaught and the newly dropped Venusaur. Draco hits the hardest, while Fire Blast covers pesky Steel Types like Cobalion and Fortress. Though be wary of Goodra's naturally low Defense. Dragon tail can be used over Muddy Water, but I find hitting Krook to be a large priority.

3.46 (Hoopa) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond

1.84 (Quagsire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

3.01 (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 8 HP / 68 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Substitute

4.98 (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

6.00 (Toxicroak) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

3.86 (Goodra) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Muddy Water

All names are their usage stat percentage, adding up to 23.2%

Last edited:
I would love to participate! :-) I will use this post to show my milestones During the month of december, and will post EDITS with dates and ranking

ALT: EeyoreHoopa
Great! You just have to show proof or fresh alt and who your team will be!

Reactions: Mq

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there! I'd like to sign up for this :).

My fresh alt will be "Manipulative Horse"

Will be using the following team:
Alomomola - 2.29
Houndoom - 3.212
Hoopa - 3.47
Gligar - 5.222
Toxicroak - 6.009
Blissey - 6.712

All stats were rounded upwards.
Total : 26.915/28.00

Even though it is kinda late into the month, I am trying this rain team that i threw together about an hour ago. Was a while since a DH post :].

Fresh Alt: SantaSweep

Torn (Tornadus) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- U-turn

Pert (Swampert-Mega) (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Helio (Heliolisk) (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hyper Voice
- Volt Switch
- Surf

Illu (Illumise) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Rain Dance
- U-turn
- Encore
- Tailwind

Dra (Kingdra) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Surf

Gor (Accelgor) (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Spikes
- Final Gambit
- Encore

Usage stats:
Accelgor 0.45775%
Illumise 0.00478%
Tornadus 2.59200%
Swampert 14.67023%
Heliolisk 5.21729%
Kingdra 1.52890%

Tota = 24,47095%

Hit C-Rank with this.
(Also i ran into someone who stole my team and beat me with it. Great shit dude.)

Hit B-Rank with this. I am also 23-4 with this team(I even lost one game because i misslicked).

Hit A-Rank with this. The team is really a lot of fun. Maybe i try to go for S-Rank tomorrow.

Last edited:
Even though it is kinda late into the month, I am trying this rain team that i threw together about an hour ago. Was a while since a DH post :].

Fresh Alt: SantaSweep

Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- U-turn

Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hyper Voice
- Volt Switch
- Surf

Sassy Nature
- Rain Dance
- U-turn
- Encore
- Tailwind

Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Surf

Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Spikes
- Final Gambit
- Encore

Usage stats:
Accelgor 0.45775%
Illumise 0.00478%
Tornadus 2.59200%
Swampert 14.67023%
Heliolisk 5.21729%
Kingdra 1.52890%

Tota = 24,47095%

Hit C-Rank with this.
(Also i ran into someone who stole my team and beat me with it. Great shit dude.)

Hit B-Rank with this. I am also 23-4 with this team(I even lost one game because i misslicked).

Hit A-Rank with this. The team is really a lot of fun. Maybe i try to go for S-Rank tomorrow.
Wow, what a cool team. Any particular reason for Aqua Tail > Waterfall? Just power difference at the cost of 10% accuracy?

But, I think Accelgor and Illumise are the glue that really hold your team together. The fast/prankster Encore are really key. The only drawback is M-Pert can't abuse SS until the turn after it mega evolves.

Wow, what a cool team. Any particular reason for Aqua Tail > Waterfall? Just power difference at the cost of 10% accuracy?

But, I think Accelgor and Illumise are the glue that really hold your team together. The fast/prankster Encore are really key. The only drawback is M-Pert can't abuse SS until the turn after it mega evolves.
I hit 1556 already though i forgot to save the replay u_u. With fast glitch hop music you just rush through battles.
I then hit the tilt hard. Maybe i will do better the next days and reach 1600.

Guess I will a do a short mini-RMT thingy.

Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

The heart of the team. Mega Swampert is incredible powerful and a threat to both offense and balance, though it can struggle to beat walls like Cresselia, Bold Florges, Porygon2 or Chesnaught. Power-Up Punch is often used on the turn it mega evolves to just break those checks and set up for a sweep. Even uninvested Swampert has enough bulk to almost live every hit + priority. This Set has no Rain Rance because you really dont want to miss out on coverage with PuP. Aqua Tail´s power is more important then the 100% accuracy in my book as it allows the 100% OHKO at +1 on Florges and the 2HKO on Cresselia and Porygon in the Rain. It can also not be described how much better then Kabutops Mega Swampert is. No Life Orb recoil, a lot more bulk and better typing and also an immunity to Thunderwave makes it a better physical Swiftswimer in UU. EVs are just jolly max speed and attack to speed tie with other Mega Swamperts and outspeed Standard Slurrpuff after an Unburden boost. Damp on regular Swampert to suprise lead Azelf.

Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Surf

The second Swiftswimer on the team. Specs STAB Hydro Pump in the rain is just savage. It OHKOs almost everything that doesnt resist it and 3HKOs even bulky resists like Suicune. The set is pretty Standard. Hydro Pump and Draco Meteor for nuking. Surf for 100% accuracy sweeps and Ice Beam to hit dragons and grass types hard without geting a -2 in SpA. Dragon Pulse is an option over Ice Beam but 2 Dragon Pulses do ALWAYS less damage then 2 Draco Meteors which limits its inclusion to corner cases. Choice Specs is the item to go for maximum power output. Life Orb does weaken Kingdra too much which would make it weak to priority attacks. EVs are max SpA modest with almost max speed. Modest is enough speed to outspeed the entire meta + scarfers in the rain. 248 Speed EVs to outspeed Mega Swampert and max speed Slurpuff after an Unburden boost. It could run max Speed to speed tie with other SS Kingdras but nobody runs that so whatever.

Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hyper Voice
- Volt Switch
- Surf

The team needed an answer to bulky waters and Ludicolo is just piss weak, gets worn down quickly and is almost useless outside of rain. Dry Skin gives it free switches on Scalds and heals it under rain which makes Life Orb the perfect item as you take no damage from it and still allows you to switch moves. Life Orb STAB Thunder is no joke. For example it gives you a 68.8% chance to OHKO Cobalion with one spike up. Hyper Voice is good neutral coverage. Volt Switch gives the team momentum to bring in your Sweepers and forms a voltturn core with Tornadus and Illumise. Surf was picked over Grass Knot since Swampert is 2HKOed by Hyper Voice and Surf hits a lot of other things harder in the rain like Krookodile, Mamoswine, Nidos and Entei. Jolly max speed and SpA to outspeed Cobalion and others and give maximum power.

Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- U-turn

The first rain setter also beats grass types for Kingdra and Swampert. Prankster always allows Tornadus to set up rain which is quit usefull in avoiding Taunts from Crobat and Mega Aerodactyl. Hurricane is obviously for beating grass mons like Shaymin and Chesnaugh and hits decently hard on neutral hits. U-Turn is for grabing momentum and giving the most rain turns possible. Taunt is kind of a filler but it really helps in blocking Recovers, set up moves, Defog or status moves. Damp Rock is choosen for longer sweeping potential.

Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Spikes
- Final Gambit
- Encore

This is the lead in almost all cases unless you see a Sableye (in that case lead with Kingdra and kill something). I like this mon quit a bit more then Azelf to be honest. This cant get taunted on the first turn by Crobat and Mega Aero before it mega evolves which garanties at least 7 rain turns. Damp Rock is also seriously needed on ether Accelgor or Azelf as seting up one layer of spikes, rain and then boom gives too few rain turns otherwise. It also has just enough bulk to take almost any attack bar strong super effective hits, like choice banded Entei´s Espeed, so Sash isnt really needed. Hydration lets it beat Thunderwave or Toxic. Rain Dance and Spikes are obvious on a suicide lead. Final Gambit is like a better Explosion and Encore lets it beat other leads and some set up sweeper. EVs are fairly simple, max HP for Final Gambit and max speed to speed tie with Mega Beedrill to encore it into Protect.

Sassy Nature
- Rain Dance
- U-turn
- Encore
- Tailwind

The last rain setter is also a Prankster user like Tornadus which gives it the same benefits. It is invested in max SpD to have a switchin for strong special attack like Specs Dracos from Hydreigon. Damp Rock for longer rain turns after it dies or u-turns and encore to prevent it from being setup fodder. This set runs the slowest speed possible to have slow u-turns into your sweepers. Tailwind is a filler but helps outspeeding Trace Gardevoir, Slurpuff, under Sticky Web and giving Tornadus and Heliolisk more sweeping potential.

That is it for now I guess. Some EVs could maybe be improved, but hey I built it yesterday.

A few neat replays:

Last edited:
I give up on reaching 1600. I am stuck for 2 days now on ~1530. My team is obviously a very machup dependend team, and Trace Gardevour, Blissey, Banded Entei, Life Orb Azelf and Tentacruel are just everywhere in the 1500 range. Even after i put some EVs from SpA on Kindra in Def to reduce the chance of a 2HKO from Entei´s Espeed and puting wish on Illumise for a poor man´s Healing Wish I still couldnt break teams that had like 3 of those mons on it. Plus I suck at mons so there is that too. Gratz xVarsity, Blissey Teams always work u_u

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I give up on reaching 1600. I am stuck for 2 days now on ~1530. My team is obviously a very machup dependend team, and Trace Gardevour, Blissey, Banded Entei, Life Orb Azelf and Tentacruel are just everywhere in the 1500 range. Even after i put some EVs from SpA on Kindra in Def to reduce the chance of a 2HKO from Entei´s Espeed and puting wish on Illumise for a poor man´s Healing Wish I still couldnt break teams that had like 3 of those mons on it. Plus I suck at mons so there is that too. Gratz xVarsity, Blissey Teams always work u_u
Honestly, my team struggles with a lot of common threats as well. Flores, sableye, crawdaunt, etc. So yeah it's also very match up dependent and when I see that I have a bad match up, I try playing around it but am usually ready to accept the loss. Keep trying!

Honestly, my team struggles with a lot of common threats as well. Flores, sableye, crawdaunt, etc. So yeah it's also very match up dependent and when I see that I have a bad match up, I try playing around it but am usually ready to accept the loss. Keep trying!
Sure, playing around is key but it is even more on Hyper Offense. One allowed Recover, overprediction or too many stealth rock switchins can cost me the game rather quickly as the biggest problem to this team is longevity and strong priority attacks.

I also is a rather bad time for laddering as the suspect test is over an almost no high players ladder anymore on the suspect ladder. Making almost perfect predictions for like 6 games only to gain 50 points and then losing 30 points if you get a bad matchup or misspredict is really exhusting.

I am still pretty impressed with the team and it sure would do better in a better HO player´s hands.

| 107 | Moltres | 0.49100%
| 34 | Blissey | 6.71182%
| 25 | Tentacruel | 8.08826%
| 159 | Electivire | 0.11749%
| 84 | Tangrowth | 1.10013%
| 50 | Gligar | 5.22195%

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Patrick1088, can you please make me a list of all participants for December (list them in the OP as a hide tag), and continue doing so in the future months of DH. Much obliged friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)