Dance with the Devil (Version 2.0)

~Dance with the Devil~
Revisited
-----------
-Updated-
I would like to thank, Jirachee, Funkasaurus, Jukain and Plus for their help with this team

I made this team to exemplify defensive synergy and show that use of bulky, defensive cores can be very viable in the fast-paced BW OU metagame. The team’s synergy gives me the ability to dance around Pokemon and stall to great effect using the typings of the team--also the surprise factor of the offensive sets lets me strike when the opponent thinks I have made a bad move.The combined typings on this team, makes it as a whole, resist or immune to every type of attack. It is thanks to the bulk that I am able to capitalize and abuse the synergy to stall status and overall wear the opponent down in the dance.
After so many battles with this team, the various defensive cores that combine into the team seem to melt away and combine, making this--to me--seem to be a 5 Pokemon core.
Before I continue with the RMT, I will warn you, this is a long one--very in-depth and detailed to give you the reader as much possible information on the workings of the team. Anyways, onto the reason I have come to see the team as a 5 Pokemon core:​

--The Synergy--

Weak: Ferrothorn
Resist: Jellicent, Latios, Tyranitar.
Immune: Heatran

Weak: Tyranitar, Heatran, Landorus-Therian
Resist: Ferrothorn, Latios
Immune: Jellicent

Weak: Tyranitar, Jellicent
Resist: Latias, Ferrothorn, Heatran

Weak: Jellicent
Resist: Ferrothorn, Latios
Immune: Landorus-Therian

Weak: Tyranitar, Heatran, Ferrothorn
Resist: Landorus-Therian, Latios

Resist: Ferrothorn, Heatran, Tyranitar

Weak: Heatran, Tyranitar
Immune: Landorus-Therian, Latios

Resist: Ferrothorn, Tyranitar

Weak: Latios, Landorus-Therian
Resist: Jellicent, Heatran

Resist: Tyranitar, Heatran

Weak: Tyranitar, Latios
Resist: Landorus-Therian, Heatran, Jellicent

Resist: Heatran, Latios, Ferrothorn
Immune: Tyranitar

Weak: Jellicent
Resist: Tyranitar, Heatran, Ferrothorn

Weak: Latios, Jellicent
Resist: Tyranitar, Heatran, Ferrothorn

Resist: Tyranitar
Immune: Heatran, Ferrothorn

Weak: Tyranitar
Resist: Jellicent, Ferrothorn, Heatran

Weak: Latios
Resist: Heatran, Ferrothorn

--The Team--

Teambuilding:

This guy is my all-time favorite Pokemon. I was making a Sand team, so, say hello to the very staple.

I wanted this team to be a Stall team, so I added Ferrothorn and Jellicent for their incredible synergy and use in Sand.

Looking at the trio, I realized the biggest common weakness: Breloom. Because of this, I added a Celebi to the mix, to help ward off the mushroom fighter.

Next, I added Landorus, who was legal at the time I was building this team initially. His purpose was to punch holes and overall look for any chance to sweep.

For my final addition, I threw Latios into the mix to add some more firepower and double protect my team against Breloom. He had Trick however, to break any Stallmons he could give his Specs to.

Spoiler alert: The team I had built, was not very thought-out. While testing, I was destroyed by most every passing Dragon, and easily set-up on and swept by any Volcarona. To respond to this, I added Heatran over Celebi to help bolster both those weakness.

This team remained as-such until the banning of Landorus-Incarnate. Since I could already see the developed synergy here, I replaced Incarnate with Therian to keep it alive.

Trick Latios was not cutting it anymore. Spore was hurting my team badly as the synergy was created needed as many of the team involved in the fight as possible. This prompted me to replace Latios with SubCM Latias.

SubCM Latias was good, but I found myself too easily walled by Steels and it had just as hard a time with Spore as Trick Latios, so I re-instated Latios to the team, and with changes that were made to Jellicent, I did not need the Trick anymore. I replaced Trick with the second surprise of the team: Sleep Talk.

--Overview--

<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

--In Depth--

Godzilla the Tyranitar ♂

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature

- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Yes, this is a Scarftar. I picked this set on a whim back when the boring Leftovers + Stealth Rock Tyranitar was a staple on every Sand team. This is amazing, no question about it. To say the least, it has taught me that more than aesthetics and the incredibly badass design qualify Tyranitar to be the best Pokemon ever. It has the ability to work with the team’s strengths and capitalize on the weaknesses brilliantly. The team itself eats any sort of Choice user, ever, for breakfast with its synergy so the blinding Speed that characterizes most Revenge Killers is not needed for this team.
The biggest threat to the team had been for a while, Expert Belt, HP Ghost Keldeo. Its ability to switch the moves--and utilize the coverage that could halt the team could have been damning. However at its base 108 Speed, the Ebelt is simply outsped by Scarftar. He could come in on HP Ghost after three turns of stalling in the Sand and Seeds (which Ferrothorn could lay after surviving one Sacred Sword) outspeed and KO the Keldeo.
The team may look Terrakion-weak, but as I mentioned any Choiced Pokemon is easily walled and forced out so the only really threatening Terrakion set that could do any damage was the SD variant. Once again, Terrakion shares a common speed with Keldeo, which enables this set to outspeed and OHKO with Superpower after the damage of one Spike.
His weakness to fight may be huge, but his ability to outspeed most Fight users unexpectedly works even better than Pursuit trapping. He can come in and trap Gengar, his Sand Stream being a great litmus to discern if it is Choiced. If it is Choiced, Pursuit, if not it will likely try a Focus Miss, but Tyranitar beats it to the punch every time with Crunch.
It is also worth mentioning, with his Choice item, Tyranitar is a great switch-in to Trick, which can usually be scouted. He safely ruins the attempt to cripple the defensive core by avoiding Choice items where they are not appreciated.

Primal the Landorus-Therian ♂

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature

- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian serves as the primary lead on this team. He works as my Stone-Setter, which is much needed for the way this team works. With the synergy the Rocks enable me to capitalize off all of the switches that occur in the battle by whittling the opponent down.
More importantly though, his typing and ability make him even more useful than the Incarnate that I used before him. While he is very good at checking Breloom, he is also very useful in dealing with Dragons. I have found that Dragons commonly come out to challenge Heatran and set-up on the switch, so my switch top Landorus either avoids the Earthquake, or renders Dragon Dance to a mere Speed boost.
Once he is out, his real use begins. I have yet to see a physical Dragon carry HP Ice consistently--if ever. With his immunity to Earthquake, and mere neutrality to the not-so-common Fire Fang, he coaxes most Dragons to Outrage. The ability to do just this is invaluable.
He also carries Stone Edge for any HP Ground Volcarona that come my way, without it, my team gets crushed by the flaming moth after one Quiver Dance.
Finally, he has U-Turn. This lets him switch out on things like Forretress and Skarmory to allow Jellicent to come in and laugh them out. More critically, however, with his ability to survive a Psychic and a Psyshock, it allows him to hit this team’s no.1 threats Alakazam and Reuniclus hard.

Smaug the Heatran ♂

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature

- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Toxic
- Roar

Heatran is a huge part of this team. He carries the ability to inflict both stallable Statuses to the opponent: Poison and Burn. This role makes him invaluable in the Stall nature of the team. Lava Plume can cripple Dragons and many others to great effect. This also gives me the ability to wait the opponent out and dance around his every move as I wait.
Heatran also serves as my primary defense against Volcarona, who otherwise, with the combined STABs can deal deadly damage to the team. Heatran resists one and is immune to the other.
With his Steel typing he also has the ability to use Landorus-Therian’s Outrage attracting quite nicely. He can come in and Poison the Outraging Dragon to begin the stall while taking minimal damage. This works on the flipside as well, as Heatran brings in the Dragons who want to Earthquake him, giving Therian a chance to switch in freely and weaken the offender.
In addition to all this, he is one of two-pieces of my team that makes it so resistant to Choice. His ability to scout is one of his greatest abilities and enables me to earn free turns to set up hazards or Seeds depending.
Another one of Heatran’s uses it to mess with any Subbing Jirachi with Roar if they decide to set up and Calm Mind on him. Without him, the SubCM Jirachi would lay waste to the team behind that Sub.
Roar is also one of my two-tiered defense against Baton Pass teams, to mess them up before they get too comfortably ingrained.

Jelly the Jellicent ♀

Jellicent (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spd
Bold Nature

- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball

Jellicent is a huge part of the team, maybe even more so than its synergetic partner, Ferrothorn. To start, it has the distinctive set. This set is magnificent for so many reasons. The 96 Spe EVs help it outspeed most Stallmons--not including Custap Skarmory. However, this Speed with Taunt makes it run circles around most Stall cores including SkarmBliss. It renders Blissey and Chansey utterly useless with Taunt, forcing switches to Pokemon like Alakazam or Garchomp to deal with it.
The most controversial part of this set--the one that is most usually noticed is my use of Shadow Ball over Scald. Shadow Ball fits with what I just mentioned about the common switch-ins, namely Alakazam. I also mentioned earlier that Alakazam is one of this team’s greatest threats. When Alakazam is present on the team, its immunity to Will-O-Wisp coaxes it out of the woodwork in response to a Taunted wall. Since this switch is so typical, I am able to predict it, and nail it with Shadow Ball on a good day. Even if I don’t manage the predict, Jellicent can survive one Psychic or Psyshock and put Alakazam within safe KO range for Heatran who in Sand can withstand a Focus Miss.
Another huge part of Taunt is that for some reason it seems very unexpected so it helps me greatly in my defense against Baton Pass. This works even when Ingrain is up, totally debilitating the Pokemon who is holding the chain, sometimes making it need to Struggle itself to death. Overall, this is a win-win when used early enough.
Will-O-Wisp is a huge piece of this team--even more vital without Scald. This is another of my defenses against the rampant Dragons in OU. With the Defense investment, Jellicent can withstand a +1 or even a +2 Outrage and Will-O-Wisp, creating the perfect entry for Ferrothorn to come in and start walling the Outrage, compounding Burn damage with Barb damage.
Lastly, Jellicent is a boon to my fight against Scizor--all forms. The set allows it to tank a hit and land the crippling Will-O-Wisp. This even works against the deadly Acrozor that has been showing up more and more in OU.

Ironside the Ferrothorn ♀

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature

- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Spikes

Ferrothorn has many big roles to play on the team. One being the obvious Spike Stacking to help me capitalize on the amount of switching the opponent will inevitably do during the match. Either this, or he works as a way to wear down opposing Spinners with Barb damage when Jellicent is gone.
Another huge contribution he adds is Leech Seed. This move is likely the single-biggest contribution to the team. Since my Stall team has but one Pokemon with reliable recovery, the Leech Seed recovery is vital to the longevity of the team. It is one of the biggest things that helps Heatran, Tyranitar, and Jellicent deal with any more hazards than Stealth Rock.
Not only this, but he works in tandem with Heatran as the second scout to predict Choiced moves. This makes him the second piece to my team’s defense against Choicers, whose boosted stats and overall power would wreck this team.
Power Whip is added to be a bolster against the ever-present Rain teams in Gen 5 OU. He can deal significant damage to Politoed and many of the Water-types involved. It also has its uses outside of Rain; namely to keep Gyarados in check--that thing would be devastating without Ferrothorn’s ability to break its Sub and prevent it from setting up.

Jetstream the Latios ♂

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature

- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Talk

Jetstream is my counter to the perilous Breloom. After using SubCM Latias for the longest time, I realized I needed a way to not just avoid the Sleep Clause, but game and use it to my advantage. This is the answer to the conundrum. Latios can switch into any Sleep-inducing move and use it to shock the opponent when he hits back.
His moveset is built to promise certain death to my team’s oldest foe. Even asleep, Latios will always OHKO any Breloom that thinks it can stay in. This surprise factor not only works against Breloom but it can even be useful against opposing Politoed on occasion, switching into their Hypnosis and nearly always nailing then hard in return.
I run HP Fire mainly for the 3 viable Breloom KO moves, but I also have it as a way to nail any unsuspecting Steels--the very ones that walled the SubCM Latias. This works well on Skarmory and Ferrothorn who would just lay hazards before. Without HP Fire I have to rely on Heatran to do the damage, which is quite a good deal more predictable.
Lastly, even though the primary and most prominent role of Latios is to deal with Breloom, it also inherited the role of punching holes from Landorus-Incarnate. Specs Draco Meteors hurt. Period. It can even do sizable chunks of damage to those that resist it. When I get a free switch-in from an Earthquake, this enables the most powerful hitter to come in and start blasting and hurting whatever moves.
Finally, with Tyranitar, Latios forms the second part of my bulwark against the Stall-crippling Trick. Between the two of them they have a Scarf and Specs. These are the two most common items Tricked in my experience, and these two can negate both of them.

<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

Standard OU Offensive Threats
  • Mixed Attacker - Hazards are my best defense here. If I am feeling bold I will use Tyranitar and Stone Edge or Superpower it.
  • Choice Scarf - Hazards again, this one is much easier to play given it can only use one move.
  • Focus Sash - 2 Shadow Ball from Jelli, or Shadow Ball and Lava Plume.
  • Offensive Calm Mind - Same as Sash.
  • Lead - Tyranitar makes a mince of this poor sap.
  • Dual Screens - Lando's U-Turn + Jelli's Shadow Ball, the screens do little based on how much this team uses indirect damage to KO.
  • Nasty Plot - Tyranitar or Lando + Jelli.
  • Choice Band - Tyranitar or Lando + Jelli.
  • Choice Band - Jellicent can use this sucker for a free Will-o-Wisp, Ferro can wall it to high heaven depending on the move it is locked into.
  • Physical Attacker - Latios with Sleep Talk fails this thing
  • Choice Band / Choice Scarf - Lando has no issuses weakening and running circles around this guy
  • Bulk Up - Latios beats it if it comes in on a Spore any time
  • Sub Punch - As long as Latios is asleep, Jellicent and Lando can wall this guy to hell and back--waiting for a moment to switch Lati in to finish it off.
  • Tinkerbell - Heatran laughs the poor nymph out any day.
  • Nasty Plot Sweeper - Walled and phazed by Heatran. Earth Power is a threat when it shows up, but even from there, Tyranitar outspeeds and can deal devastating damage with Crunch enabling Latios to dispatch with Draco Meteor or Hidden Power Fire.
  • Choice Specs / Choice Scarf - Celebi with Choice is laughable--without HP recovery and the trap of one move, it is cake for the team to dispatch.
  • Shell Smash - Heatran can survive a +2 Rock Blast with ease and OHKO with Lava Plume. When Heatran is gone--it is a problem.
  • Bulk Up - Conkeldurr is a threat to put it lightly. As long as it has Guts, it is an issue to say the very least. It usually takes a full-team effort, with Lando keeping its Attack in check to dispatch.
  • Flame Orb + 3 Attacks - Less of a problem as long as my predicts work. Lando messes with this guy's attack and the team Synergy enables me to wear down the Burn.
  • Lefties + Guts - A fairly common set these days, this is a problem as well, however, it too takes a full team effort to dispatch and stall. However, if I can get Latios in, Draco Meteor dispatches it easily.
  • Choice Scarf / Band - Never a problem, as Jeliicent and Heatran wall any move it makes and can stall it with Sand. Heatran can even come in for Attack drops as well.
  • Life Orb - Hazards do this variant in easily, Lando can OHKO with an Equake.
  • Dragon Dance - This set is dangerous, however the synergy and Lando's Intimidate keep it in check.
  • Choice Band - Rarely a problem--as it is Choiced and can be played around with ease.
  • Mixed - Latios and Tyranitar are fully capable of dispatching this after SR.
  • Parashuffler - Not a threat in the slightest. Lando's Stone Edge does damage before it can shuffle.
  • Rain Abuse - Scarftar really messes with these sets--especially after SR.
  • Focus Sash - This guy is a PAIN. Most of my team can deal with it easy, however, I still must play lightly with Heatran in the mix.
  • Choice Band - The only threatening Choice--especially up against Heatran or Tyranitar.
  • Agility - Never had an issue with this guy. Ferrothorn is not its friend.
  • Choice Specs - the team's synergy is a pain for this, usually making it an easy target to wear down with Seeds or Burn depending.
  • Baton Pass - Irritating, but no more. When someone is using a Baton Pass, all I need to do is wait for them to send in the non-Magic Bouncer or trap with Tyranitar.
  • Dual Screens - again, a pest. Otherwise it can be dealt with if it switches in on a Ferro Power Whip, or Jelli Shadow Ball. It detests Tyranitar as well.
  • Swords Dance - Lando keeps this guy in check, coaxing it to Outrage giving me a switch-in for Ferro to stall it down.
  • Choice Band - Fairly simple to play around; the one-move is a curse.
  • Choice Scarf - Fairly simple to play around; the lack of the Band's attack boost makes it even easier to wall.
  • Substitute + Disable / Pain Split - this troll is fairly simple to deal with. All it takes is for Jelli to break the Sub and Tyranitar to switch in on Shadow Ball and outspeed and KO.
  • Life Orb - Same as the Sub + Disable save the need to break the Sub.
  • Choice Scarf/Specs + Trick - Tyranitar dispatches them with ease as long as the Scarf is not locked into Focus Miss.
  • SmashPass - Jellicent's Taunt messes with this set considerably.
  • Shell Smash Sweeper - Jellicent is all over this one too.
  • Choice Scarf / Specs - Too easy to work around. It may have Shadow Tag, but its entrance is easily predicted and Tyranitar makes a mess of it.
  • Offensive / Bulky Dragon Dance - Ferrothorn does good damage with Power Whip and breaks the Sub preventing set-up.
  • Choice Band - Again, Choice. Jellicent and Ferrothorn make a mockery of it.
  • Choice Scarf - Same as Band.
  • Choice Scarf / Choice Band - Fairly easy to mess with. Lando keeps its Attack in check and the Sand wears it down with Seeds and Barbs.
  • Dragon Dance - This set can get out of hand. Landorus and Ferrothorn are usually enough to deal with it through the Outrage and Seeds, but if I slip up it can mess with the team.
  • Swords Dance - Same as the Dragon Dance set.
  • Choice Scarf / Specs - These set can be pretty nasty if it catches my Landorus off guard, but with its lack of recovery and one move lock, hazards and synergy laugh it out consistently.
  • Air Balloon - This can be very pesky as long as its Air Balloon is up. Without it though, it is short work for Spikes and Stealth Rock.
  • Specially Defensive - Usually easy enough to wear down with hazards, or Superpower with Tyranitar.
  • Mixed Attacker - Easily scouted and switched in-on byt Tyranitar who outspeeds and OHKOs with Superpower.
  • Choice Specs / Scarf - Same as Mixed attacker.
  • Substitute - Have never actually fought one of these, however, I do not see it being a problem.
  • Expert Belt - Dispatched like the Scarf and Specs.
  • Choice Band / Choice Scarf - Ferro + Jelli are able to run around this guy and stall easily.
  • Mixed Attacker - Easily tanked, predicted and very vulnerable to Lando's Attack drops.
  • Nasty Plot / Swords Dance booster - These sets are a good deal more threatening, though uncommon (thank gawd for that). However, can usually be destroyed with Lando and kept in check.
  • Substitute + Calm Mind / Substitute + 3 Attacks - One word: Heatran. He is the bane of all of these sets.
  • Wish + Calm Mind - Heatran has a field day with this set.
  • Expert Belt - Heatran can deal heavy damage to it making it weak to Lando.
  • Choice Scarf - Heatran scouts, and can deal with this set too.
  • Shuca - Heatran + Lando are the bane.
  • Choice Scarf / Specs - These sets are pretty much a joke. They do not stand to the Ferro + Jelli core for an instant.
  • Calm Mind - Ferrothorn can wield massive damage to this thing with Power Whip--only if he hits it in the beginning before it sets up. That leaves it very vulnerable to Tyranitar who outspeeds.
  • Choice Specs - walled by both of the Ferro Jelli core
  • Rain Dance - Just as easily dealt with as the Specs
  • Dragon Dance - Ferro laughs at this set
  • Choice - Ferrothorn can wall it to high hell and back and given it is not trapped in Earth Power, so can Heatran. Hazards from the switch do it in.
  • Substitute + 3 Attacks - Forced switches and damage from hazards are the best way to deal with this set.
  • Substitute + Roost - This set is not really a threat, just irritating and pesky, can be dealt with through switches and hazards.
  • Substitute - Heatran and hazards are effective at laying this down
  • Substitute + Dragon Tail - Fairly easy to wear down an outlast this set between Hazards, Roar, Barbs and the like.
  • Choice Band - Somewhat threatening, the sheer power that go into its attacks can be crippling, but usually Hazards and Heatran can deal with it.
  • Mixed - Fairly simple to wait out or at least break the Sub and revenge with Latios.
  • Choice Scarf - Not overly threatening, Heatran can wall the sucker and phaze it out to get dragged across the Hazards all over again.
  • Stealth Rock - Ferrothorn walls this set without much challenge.
  • Swords Dance / Rock Polish - Ferrothorn does enough damage with Power Whip to keep this guy in line.
  • Substitute + 3 Attacks - Never seen this set, but with the inability to boost its Attack, Ferrothorn would be able to use it to set up hazards.
  • Gravity - Again, Ferrothorn does not mind the Earthquake at all, so it is not effected by Gravity adversly.
  • Choice Scarf - Easy tro rack hazard damage up on--that and Barb
  • Life Orb - So easy to trap with Tyranitar who outspeeds even with Crunch.
  • Choice Specs / Scarf - With two Steels, this set is too easy to work around and trap.
  • Calm Mind - Tyranitar eats this alive.
  • Life Orb / Expert Belt - As with Latias this set is easily trapped and killed by Tyranitar.
  • Choice Scarf / Specs - Same as the Calm Mind Latias.
  • Calm Mind - Same as Calm Mind Latios.
  • Swords Dance -Between Tyranitar and Jellicent this thing is hopeless. With the unexpected nature of Scarftar, it can outspeed and OHKO Lucario with a Superpower.
  • Substitute - This thing is nearly as irritating as Dugtrio. It is usually easy to predict in its switches, requires some pedicts, but it does not like Heatran.
  • Choice Scarf / Specs - Same as the Sub set.
  • Physical Attacker - Can be a little irksome, but Jellicent can easily tank an Earthquake and Burn to give it room to heal. Then is is just a waiting game.
  • Focus Sash + Endeavor - With the hazards this team lays down, this set is a gimmicky joke, no more. Scarftar outspeeds, and Jellicent laughs at Endeavor.
  • Relic Song Mixed Attacker - This poor mon is another on the breakfast buffet Tyranitar enjoys.
  • Calm Mind + 3 Attacks / Substitute - Once again, Tyranitar can deal with this quite easily, an outspeed and Crunch is not a healthy hit for ol' Meloetta.
  • Stealth Rock - Ferrothorn likens this set to that of a joke. it can survive a Hammer Arm and set Seeds on it.
  • Choice Scarf / Band - Depending on the move, Ferrothorn is as good as an insta-switch for him. Giving me a free turn to Spikestack an or set Seeds.
  • Agility - Again, this thing withers to Ferrothorn.
  • Stealth Rock - Tyranitar is more than enough to deal with these. If need be, they do not like a Draco Meteor from Latios.
  • Baton Pass - Jellicent loves this set. As it is Taunt bait, it usually serves as the end of any chain it is holding.
  • Nasty Plot - Tyranitar can usually deal with this, but as with the SR set, Latios may need to be called in to finish it.
  • All-Out Attacker - One word: Joke. Anything employing High Jump Kick kills itsel on this team with the ability to scout. Jellicent does not mind this set one bit.
  • Choice Scarf / Band - Same as the attacker.
  • Special Attacker - Tyranitar is more than capable of outspeeding and OHKO-ing with Stone Edge. Rocks hurt this guy the most though.
  • Choice Specs / Scarf - Jellicent is the bane of this set, resulting in a switch 80% of the time. The switches wear it down with ease as it has no means of HP recovery.
  • 3 Attacks -
  • Offensive Trick Room- This set and Pokemon are a challeng to deal with. Usually can be dealt with using Tyranitar, but if I mispredict it can be a pain.
  • Calm Mind -Very scary or the team, again, Tyranitar can usually do this thing in, but if it does not there is trouble for the team.
  • Support - When Heatran comes in to deal with this, it is gone. In every sense of the word.
  • Choice Scarf / Specs - This thing likes to show up and attempt its Trick. Latios will have nothing to do with it and earns a free turn to use Draco Meteor on whatever is there to take it.
  • Support - This set does not like a Draco Meteor from Latios ever.
  • Choice Scarf / Specs - This is really easy to get into Trick and to nail with Draco Meteor.
  • Dragon Dance - This set can be a big problem. Landorus can keep it in check with Intimdate and damage it big with Stone Edge.
  • Mixed - Without boosting ability, this set is much less of a threat. It is outsped and OHKO'd by Tyranitar after Stealth Rock.
  • Choice Scarf / Band - Usually an easy set to deal with--especially with two Steels. This is the set I am hoping for wheneve I see a Salamence.
  • Choice Band - Not even a threat to Jellicent given that Will-O-Wisp hits.
  • Swords Dance - Lacking pursuit, this thing is a peice of cake for Jellicent to deal with and cripple.
  • Bulky Swords Dance - Being outsped by Heatran, OHKO'd and easily crippled by Jellicent this set does not phaze this team.
  • Acrozor - Can be a problen if it gets too high in its boosts. Jellicent is usually enough to lan thedamning Will-O-Wisp.
  • Dragon Dance - This set takes some prediction, Lando is usually able to keep it in check with Intimidate and give my team the turns to maintain Burn and Seeds to stall it down. Unboosted, Draco Meteor is a death sentence to this.
  • Bulk Up - Latios can outspeed and destroy this set with ease--no matter the boosts.
  • Speed Boost - Ferrothorn loves this guy. there is no way that Sharpedo can do anything to him.
  • Hazard Lead -This guys is a great way to deal with the Sleep Clause. Once Latios is asleep it can deal with this thing easily.
  • Baton Pass - With the Sleep Clause activated, this guy is Taunt bait. Jellicent can deal with this set easy.
  • Life Orb - Unless it is caying HP Fire, this thing is walled and beaten by Ferrothorn 100% of the time.
  • Choice Specs - Ferrothorn can deal with this set anytime.
  • Choice Band - Ferro-Jelli do this sucker in.
  • Non Choice - Not too much of a threat. Without the Choice this thing does not have the power to hut my team.
  • Substitute + Swords Dance / Salac Berry - This set is a pain. Landorus can break the Sub and lower the Attack and wall the poor thing though.
  • Choice Band / Choice Scarf- This set can be dealt with using the Ferro-Jelli core. The only threat that the SCar gives is to isappoint me when Tyranitar cannot KO it.
  • Double Dance - Landorus can do this set in most often.
  • Nasty Plot - It may have priority on non-amaging moves, but this thing does not last against Tyranitar who outspeeds and OHKO's with Stone Edge.
  • Agility - Never come against this set, but it could be a threat, however, I daresay the overall synergiy of the team could do it in.
  • Choice Scarf - Easily walled and weakened with Stealth Rock.
  • Tailwind - Easily outsped and done in by Scarftar given it is in before Tailwind.
  • Swords Dance - This set is a lost cause against Jellicent. Will-O-Wisp is a serious threat to it's effectiveness and it cannot do damage when I use that move.
  • Bulk Up - Same as the SD set.
  • SubPunch - Jellicent likes this set a lot.
  • Choice Band - This set is easily outsped and Burned by Jellicent. It also does not appreciate Scarftar in the slightest.
  • Choice Scarf - This set is not a threat. Jellicent can weaken it regardless of its speed.
  • MixTar - Scarftar does this set in easily.
  • Growth - A way to deal with the Sleep Clause and after that, Heatran can deal with it easy.
  • Choice Band / Scarf - This set showed up a ton around the test. Jellicent can do some damage and Tyranitar can outspeed Band. Stealth Rock+Sandstorm eats this thing up.
  • Special Attacker - Dispatched by Scarftar.
  • Calm Mind - Latios' Psyhock is not joke for this set. That is usually enough to get it off the field.
  • Swords Dance - Latios does this set in as well.
  • Offensive Quiver Dance - If this set has HP Ground it is a threat. Usually Lanorus' Stone Edge can prevail, however.
  • Bulky Quiver Dance / Roost - Not too much of a threat. Heatran walls this to high heaven.
  • Chesto Rest - Not a threat. This is a little irritating when Toxi-Stall does not work, but it is easily phazed and walled by Heatran.
  • Substitute - Heatran does this set in easily.

Standard OU Defensive Threats
  • Standard - This set does not like Sleep Talk Latios.
  • Support - Jellicent totally walls and cripples Blissey with Taunt, making it very vulnerable to Burn.
  • Tank - Quite a pain. Ferrothorn is able to wall this guy to hell and back however.
  • Physically Defensive - Easy to set up on with Ferrothorn. U-Turn from Landorus and Lava Plume from Heatran hurt.
  • Specially Defensive - Tyranitar can hurt this thing badly as can Lando and Heatran.
  • Support - As good as Tauntbait or Jellicent.
  • Utility - Heatran deals with this set easy.
  • Support - Once again, Taunt bait for Jellicent and easily damaged by Tyranitar.
  • Calm Mind - Same as Support.
  • Specially Defensive - This set does not come up very often, but Ferrothorn can deal with it every day.
  • Calm Mind - Tyranitar outspeeds, traps and OHKO's this set.
  • Standard - Jellicent can render this thing totally useless with Taunt+Will-O-Wisp.
  • Physically Defensive - Jellicent can deal with this using Taunt+Will-O-Wisp.
  • Specially Defensive - Same as the other set.
  • Tank - This is outsped and dealt with by Jellicent.
  • Substitute + Protect - Can usually be walled by Ferrothorn and crippled by Taunt.
  • Britscor Stallbreaker - Never seen this set before. However, it could pobably be dealt with by Draco Meteor.
  • Swords Dance - Usually able to be kept in check by Lando and Ferrothorn and worn down slowly.
  • Bulky Support - Ferrothorn can deal with this set handily.
  • Resttalk - Not a threat to Ferrothorn.
  • Specially Defensive - only a threat with a Balloon or max Speed to outspeed Lando who would otherwise deal it out.
  • Physical Tank - Walled and totally crippled by Jellicent.
  • Specially Defensive - Same as Physical Tank
  • Utility Counter - Outsped and easily crippled by Jellicent.
  • Specially Defensive - Usually dealt with by Heatran.
  • Support - Tyranitar hurts this set badly.
  • Reflect / Refresh + Calm Mind - Still usually done in by Tyranitar.
  • Stallbreaker - Tyranitar and Latios are too much for this guy.
  • Specially Defensive - Rocks and Tyranitar are easily enough to do this guy in.
  • Defensive - Taunt bait for Jellicent.
  • Defensive - Has no real hitting potential so it is easily walled and dealt with by Jellicent.
  • Physically Defensive - Worst to worst, I would have to wear it down with Seeds, but Ferrothorn is easily able to deal heavy damage regardless of defense.
  • Support - Heatran is very much able to wall this thing and cripple with Poison.
  • Choice Scarf - Tyranitar can easily do this in, not fearing the Trick.
  • Support - Latios' Draco Meteor hurts this set and is usually enought to send it packing.
  • Prankster - Heatran can deal with this thing most every time.
  • Physically Defensive - Jellicent can wall and generally incapacitate this set with ease.
  • Specially Defensive - Same as Physically defensive set.
  • Custap - This can be an irritating set to deal with. Heatran can do it in however.
  • Tank - Jellicent can wall, cipple and KO this with ease.
  • Rapid Spin - One Power Whip is all it takes.
  • Defensive - Set-up opportunity for Ferrothorn and Taunt bait for Jellicent.
  • Substitute + Toxic - A little irritating, but Ferrothorn can usually do this in.
  • Protect - Not a threat, Ferro deals with this set easy.
  • Specially Defensive - Scarftar and Jellicent ener this a non-issue.
  • Rest Hydration - Taunt bail for Jellicent, walled by Ferrothorn.
  • Wish Support - same as the Hydration set.
  • SubSeed - Still uses Spore which lets Latios tear it apart.
  • Max Speed - Total Taunt bait.
  • Bulky - Same as Max Speed.
  • Standard - Irksome, but Tyranitar can Trap and deal with this guy no problem.

--Final Notes--

Overall, this team is incredibly effective. In my use of it on the ladder it has been effectively garnering wins--hax losses seem to keep it at about a 5-1 ratio with its wins-losses. It is slowly creeping its way up to its peak, which after the 53 battles it has done as of this moment has not yet happened.
With the replacement of Latias, the fifth piece of the core may be more fragile--but it is able to fulfill its role with incredible ease and speed in which Latias could not even dream of. As much as I appreciated Latias, Latios seems to be even better.
Well, congratulations reader, you made it, this is the end of the RMT! Now for the very best part of RMTs--at least in my opinion; the replays! Some of them feature Latias, but most have Latios and feature the ladder-climb this team is still engaged in. Enjoy!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-67661495
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-67686336
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-67684057
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-67683869
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-67690674
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-67695562
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-69783660

Should you wish to try the team…

Godzilla (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Primal (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Smaug (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Toxic
- Roar

Jelly (Jellicent) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spd
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball

Jetstream (Latios) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Talk

Ironside (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Spikes

Last edited:
Current Team

Team With Changes

Hi there Tyranitarterror this is one of the best sand balanced teams that I have seen in a while. However I must admit that I feel that teams such as this have a lot of trouble with set up sweepers as your walls just sort of sit there and don't have much offensive presence that can combat these pokemon. Hopely the changes that I suggest will help you with this problem.

Firstly, I'm going to suggest a smaller change of Ice Beam > Superpower on Tyranitar. My logic behind this is that it allows tyranitar to muscle it's way through landorus therian by catching it off guard and OHKOing after stealth rocks. It also allows you to reliably hit dragonite and haxorus without having to rely on stone edge.

Secondly, I feel that Keldeo > Jellicent would allow you a chance at a win condition. I'm thinking a calm mind version of keldeo would allow you to power through most of the counters that wall keldeo allowing Latios to come and hit your opponent after keldeo has beaten them. It also allows you to hit the pink blobs enough and effectively.

Finally, try considering Celebi > Ferrothorn as it allows you to reliably wall Keldeo currently a huge threat to your team as Jellicent is physically defensive a specially defensive celebi also works because most keldeo now are running HP ice as the HP bug usage has gone down considerably. Perish song also allows you to force out Calm Mind latias which you appeared to have trouble with in one of your replays.
TL:DR
  • Superpower => Ice Beam
=>

=>

Sets
Godzilla (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam

Keldeo @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 236 SDef / 252 HP / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Perish Song
- U-turn
- Recover
- Giga Drain

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Everything Usatoday said, except I think EBelt will be better than Lum Berry as a win condition, although that's just personal preference. Also, Icy Wind might have a place over Scald on Keldeo as it allows you to reliably check Dragons but you lose STAB.

Everything Usatoday said, except I think EBelt will be better than Lum Berry as a win condition, although that's just personal preference. Also, Icy Wind might have a place over Scald on Keldeo as it allows you to reliably check Dragons but you lose STAB.
Never run icy wind over scald surf or hydro it's not worth it at all stab is crucial is gen five ou with KellerKeller

I look on this team and I think. how many of those almost indetical sandstorm defensive teams are out there. just like all of those teams yours is fine too but there is some room for improvement I am not going into hardcore rates because your teams architecture is tested and known to be one of the most effective in the metagame ,

First off I think that you should change power whip for gyro ball on your ferro so you can kill dragons faster, the protect/leech seed combo deals with water types pretty well anyway

Your latios should have surf is much better on its specs sets as it lets to hit a crapload of steel types for huge damage .I suggest that you should replace sleep talk for surf .

Other than that I think that landorus should habe a bit more speed so it can out run all kinds of dancing scizor and some other things that lurk in those speed tiers.

Okay thanks for the rates you guys. I can now finally get back to you on them :D
Been so busy. Anyways, to the rates.

UsaToday:
You are completely correct that my team does not have the offensive presence that would enable me to power through many set-up sweepers, however, I do not usually find this to be too much of an issue as Toxic and Will-o-Wisp either snap a timer on said set-up sweeper putting them at the mercy of the Sand and synergy of the team or cripple the poor sap beyond repair. The set-up sweeper that worries me the most is one that Keldeo would have an infinitely hard time even touching: Reuniclus, especially in Trick Room. With his immunities to all forms ao indirect damage, he is more worrisome than anything else.
To removing the Ferro-Jelli core that is a bit of a stickler for me. As I tested it, sure Keldeo has the ability to revenge dragons non-scarfed, but to remove Ferro who is my best and key Dragon-resist the lack of Scarf on Keldeo haunts it when it is outpsed by Dragons with Scarves of their own.
You cite the ability to hit the blobs as a reason to remove Jellicent in favor of Keldeo, however, Jellicent is the bane of any Chansey or Blissey that cross its path. Seismic Toss does nothing to it and Taunt completely cripples it before it can move. While Keldeo may be able to power through stallmons more effectively than Jellicent, it lacks the prevention of Spikes and Stealth Rock that Jellicent provides in lieu of a Spinner. I really only see Scarf being the best set to use if I were to replace Jellicent and Ferrothorn to remove Dragons and that set would be stupid to run Taunt on. Also the presence of two scarves on one team is a bit much.
To the use of Celebi > Ferrothorn, this being done in conjuntion with Jellicent's removal leaves the team even more open to being brought down by Scarf Scizor's U-Turn. Without Jellicent to check it and half the team now either regularly or terminally weak to bug, that U-Turn HURT. My best check to it was Landorus and even he gets worn down after a while. Hazards would help me deal with this threat, but I would have little ability to keep them on the field without the ability to spinblock. I will point out that in the replay that you mentioned, the key reason for my struggles against the Latias were that I got a very low roll on Stone Edge enabling the Salamence to remove my biggest Lati check in Tyranitar.
Ice Beam played nicely into the surprise nature of the team, but did negligible amounts of damage and call it a vanity thing, but I love to smack the cocky Lucario with a Superpower and OHKO before the Close Combat. That ability is really nice on this team with the potential for Lucario to punch serious holes in my team after a Swords Dance.

cosmicdonutsummer:
I found that the Scarf as I mentioned in response UsaToday's was be best for this team if that change were to be applied, but even though it performed better than the other sets it was not by much and not reliably enough in the whole scope of where it would need to be.

Grey Knight:
Power Whip gives me the ability to hurt Politoed and clinch weather wars in an easier fashion which is very nice. Gyro Ball kills Dragons faster yes, but Seeds and Protect enable me to make use fully of a Dragon's Outrage and gain plenty of HP back, so overall I did not find that Gyro Ball serves me much better as the use of the two seem somewhat uneeded.
Surf on Latios over Sleep Talk is a very bad move. Sleep Talk is the sole reason that the Latios is so useful against Breloom who would usually have neutralized the threat with Spore. Latios is really the only pokemon on my team that can tangle with them anyway. That rendered the bulwark against Breloom about as unreliable as it could be. This I cannot afford with Breloom beig such a huge threat.
That all being said, I tried a little more Speed and found it very useful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)