Custom 3D Animated Renders

MBCMechachu

formerly Pikafan2000
is an Artist
Yup!

Lol I suppose I could. There are some SwSh screen rips that seriously don't look right, like Skwovet

Current PS vs. Blender
View attachment 247353View attachment 247354

But I also don't really want to undermine the efforts people took to make the raw screen captures of the SwSh Pokemon work. I mean, there's only so much you can do to make them work. Either use the raw screen cap, shrink it down, and the lack of clear outlines will make the model really hard to read. Or you could send the SwSh Screen cap through an edge detection filter like what I believe is what was done to all of the SwSh screen rips Showdown uses today. Some can look okay, but other problems prop up just due to the imperfect nature of doing an edge detection filter only a color image sequence. And even when the filter does look alright, they still don't fit in well with the existing 3DS screen rips for all the other Pokemon since the textures generally tend to be anti-aliased (no jagged edges on the rendered textures), contrary to how they actually would look on the 3DS, the lighting isn't consistent enough with the 3DS (especially for back sprites), etc, etc.

The edge detection I use on my renders is based on the surface normals of the model, which essentially means only the geometry of the model effects how the outlines get drawn, which is how it works in-game as well and is the ideal way to get this effect to work. But they couldn't do that without ripping the models and animations from the game, obviously, which is not something people have had access to (specifically the animations) up until very recently.
The Skwovet on the left looks like it came out of an entirely different game franchise in comparison.

Gigantamax forms are low priority for me right now, and will be saved for later. Partly because of my own personal bias against Gigantamaxing in general (I'm really not a fan with the mechanics, nor the designs), and bias aside I also want to save the more complicated renders for later that probably has all kinds of animated textures and masks going on. I might also provide standard sized animated renders, and animated renders with double the width and height so that the renders actually are massive just like how they are in-game.
If it doesn't absolutely break the models, can you render them without those ugly red clouds or the red filter? Y'know, make them look like normal models?

If it doesn't absolutely break the models, can you render them without those ugly red clouds or the red filter? Y'know, make them look like normal models?
That would solve the issue of them looking totally different from regular Dynamax Pokemon. On cart, both Dynamax and Gigantimax have the red clouds and glow, but since Showdown just upscales the regular sprites for Dynamax, that leaves Gigantimax looking super weird.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
On the contrary: do only the red glowing clouds. It'd save a lot of work while showing your disinterest at the same time.
Maybe. Depends on whether or not I can even find out how that particle system even works, or if it is even exportable from the game files (if I can find it, even, LOL)

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Wave 4 Done, along with some updates on Wave 1 for some of the starter Pokemon.

Yamper Line:
Yamper:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Boltund:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Rolycoly Line
Rolycoly:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Carkol:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Coalossal (Had to reconfigure the compositing a bit to allow for the coal glow to glow through the composited outlines for these two final stages of this line):
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Applin Line
Applin:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Flapple:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Appletun:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

And then some updates to Wave 1.

Grookey, Thwackey, Scorbunny, Raboot, Sobble, Drizzile
Starter First Stages:
Grookey:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Scorbunny:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Sobble:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Pokemon Showdown Scale References:

Starter Second Stages:
Thwackey:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Raboot:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Drizzile:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Pokemon Showdown Scale References:

One thing I noticed as I was working on these the past few days is how off the scaling was on pretty much every starters' first two stages, all of which were a bit big compared to other Pokemon with similar proportions already present on Pokemon Showdown (heck, my renders could still be considered a bit bigger than they really should be). It can be really easy to make renders too big, because going a bit bigger helps preserve some of the detail in the model and textures, and going much lower than that will lose you that detail. But it's more important to keep scale in check. With that being said, I am still happy with the scale for all the starter final evolutions. Rillaboom for example is pretty on par on scale and proportions with Chesnaught (minus Rillaboom's drum), and the other two final Gen 8 starter evolutions are both naturally fairly tall and skinny, unlike any other starter (closest being Sceptile, Infernape, and Greninja, but those all hold a very low and/or wide poses obviously).

Last edited:

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Wave 5 Done, and so far probably the most time consuming to get right. Tons of alternate forms to cover, and also some technical difficulties with animation required me to modify them a bit for a few Pokemon.

The main issue is that when exporting the animation data to a format other 3D Software is able to read, the format doesn't natively support scaling. So bones that scale will not import into Blender, so I have to animate the parts that needs to scale manually on my end. Cramorant's Gulping animation required me to scale the Pokemon it's gulping around their head so that their head isn't clipping through the back of Cramorant's neck, just like how it is in-game. Toxel and Toxtricity had missing scale animation for their electric "hair". And Centiskorch had missing scale animation for its fire. All of which I animated the scale myself (all rotation and positional animation is still original and unmodified). I did my best to keep the animation true to what they should be, though if anything they might be a bit more exaggerated than before (especially regarding Toxtricity's electric hair)

And of course, there's the fire effect itself on Centiskorch. If anyone recalls, this was something I hadn't figured out back in the old days of this thread. But I actually knew how these worked for quite a few months now. Had to make some tweaks to get the compositing to work nicely with the fire effect, like outlines and such, but given the knowledge I got a few months back, it wasn't too bad.

Silicobra Line:
Silicobra:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Sandaconda:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Cramorant:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Arrokuda Line:
Arrokuda:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Barraskewda:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Toxel Line:
Toxel:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Toxtricity Amped:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Toxtricity Low Key:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Sizzlipede Line:
Sizzlipede:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Centiskorch:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Wave 6 Done.

Clobbopus Line:
Clobbopus:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Grapploct:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Sinistea Line:
Sinistea:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Polteageist:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Hatenna Line:
Hatenaa:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Hattrem:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Hatterene:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Impidimp Line:
Impidimp:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Morgrem:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Grimmsnarl:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Not much to comment on this one. Though I also have been working on some dex-style renders too (which are the ripped 3DS renders that are used in the Pokemon Showdown Teambuilder). Here are a few samples:
0005.png
0011.png
0017.png

I even try to copy the visual artifacts that are seen in the official dex renders from the 3DS. If you view these renders in Smogon Dark theme against a dark background, you can see white artifacts around the silhouette of the render, which are also present in the official renders, like these:

I think I'll bundle all of these types of renders up into one big compressed zip file once I get to all of the Gen 8 Pokemon battle renders. I'm prioritizing the main animated battle renders first and foremost before these dex renders.

Last edited:

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Wave 7 Done, going through the Galar forms now.

Zigzagoon-Galar Line:
Zigzagoon:
zigzagoon-galar.gif
zigzagoon-galar.gif
zigzagoon-galar.gif
zigzagoon-galar.gif

Original Scale Reference:

Linoone:
linoone-galar.gif
linoone-galar.gif
linoone-galar.gif
linoone-galar.gif

Obstagoon:
obstagoon.gif
obstagoon.gif
obstagoon.gif
obstagoon.gif

Meowth-Galar Line:
Meowth:
meowth-galar.gif
meowth-galar.gif
meowth-galar.gif
meowth-galar.gif

Perrserker:
perrserker.gif
perrserker.gif
perrserker.gif
perrserker.gif

Corsola-Galar Line:
Corsola:
corsola-galar.gif
corsola-galar.gif
corsola-galar.gif
corsola-galar.gif

Cursola:
cursola.gif
cursola.gif
cursola.gif
cursola.gif

Farfetch'd-Galar Line:
Farfetch'd:
farfetchd.gif
farfetchd.gif
farfetchd.gif
farfetchd.gif

Sirfetch'd:
sirfetchd.gif
sirfetchd.gif
sirfetchd.gif
sirfetchd.gif

Mr. Mime-Galar Line:
Mr. Mime:
mrmime-galar.gif
mrmime-galar.gif
mrmime-galar.gif
mrmime-galar.gif

Mr. Rime:
mrrime.gif
mrrime.gif
mrrime.gif
mrrime.gif

I'm still a little bit indifferent on how the Corsola line turned out, given that they are the first Pokemon I've done so far in this process that has transparency in some parts of its models. Main issue with that is that the .GIF format doesn't support partial opacity. Either the pixel is at 100% opacity, or 0% opacity. So a lot of it is finding a compromise on how bright the color of the transparent parts should be, and to find what fits best considering there is no partial transparency. Not sure if I'm happy with what I have, but perhaps there is no perfect solution.

Last edited:
I'm still a little bit indifferent on how the Corsola line turned out, given that they are the first Pokemon I've done so far in this process that has transparency in some parts of its models. Main issue with that is that the .GIF format doesn't support partial opacity. Either the pixel is at 100% opacity, or 0% opacity. So a lot of it is finding a compromise on how bright the color of the transparent parts should be, and to find what fits best considering there is no partial transparency. Not sure if I'm happy with what I have, but perhaps there is no perfect solution.
Dithering maybe?

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Yeah, apparently something happened that made Linoone's eyes dark and Zigzagoon's eyes completely black.

DJTHED In case whatever made this happen is too hard to fix (or in case you just don't want to) I edited the gifs to give their eyes more color.

View attachment 250465View attachment 250466View attachment 250467View attachment 250468View attachment 250471View attachment 250472
Oh? I wasn't aware I was missing that detail on them. I can probably fix that on my end pretty easily, you don't have to do edits for me. I probably just forgot an emission texture for the eyes or something. Feel free to just let me know I missed something next time, as it's usually just an easy fix for me.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Wave 8 Done. Compositing was a bit annoying to do for a lot of these mons to be honest. Lots of exceptions to make things work.

Yamask-Galar Line:
Yamask:
yamask-galar.gif
yamask-galar.gif
yamask-galar.gif
yamask-galar.gif

Runerigus:
runerigus.gif
runerigus.gif
runerigus.gif
runerigus.gif

Cofagrigus Scale Reference:

Ponyta-Galar Line:
Ponyta:
ponyta-galar.gif
ponyta-galar.gif
ponyta-galar.gif
ponyta-galar.gif

Rapidash:
rapidash-galar.gif
rapidash-galar.gif
rapidash-galar.gif
rapidash-galar.gif

Weezing-Galar:
Weezing:
weezing-galar.gif
weezing-galar.gif
weezing-galar.gif
weezing-galar.gif

Darumaka-Galar Line:
Darumaka:
darumaka-galar.gif
darumaka-galar.gif
darumaka-galar.gif
darumaka-galar.gif

Darmanitan:
darmanitan-galar.gif
darmanitan-galar.gif
darmanitan-galar.gif
darmanitan-galar.gif

Darmanitan-Zen:
darmanitan-galar-zen.gif
darmanitan-galar-zen.gif
darmanitan-galar-zen.gif
darmanitan-galar-zen.gif

Stunfisk-Galar:
Stunfisk:
stunfisk-galar.gif
stunfisk-galar.gif
stunfisk-galar.gif
stunfisk-galar.gif

Wave 8 Done. Compositing was a bit annoying to do for a lot of these mons to be honest. Lots of exceptions to make things work.

Yamask-Galar Line:

Ponyta-Galar Line:

Weezing-Galar:

Darumaka-Galar Line:

Stunfisk-Galar:
Stunfisk comparison looks hilarious.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Wave Alcremie is done! (aka Wave 9). I know what you're probably going to ask, and no, you don't want to know how long this took.

(and more)
Milcery (and especially Alcremie) Line:
Milcery:
milcery.gif
milcery.gif
milcery.gif
milcery.gif

Alcremie:
Strawberry (In order of appearance: Vanilla, Ruby, Matcha, Mint, Lemon, Salted, Ruby Swirl, Caramel Swirl, Rainbow Swirl, and Shiny):
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif

alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif

Blueberry:
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif

alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif

Heart:
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif

alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif

Star:
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif

alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif

Clover:
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif

alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif

Flower:
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif

alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif

Ribbon:
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif

alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif
alcremie.gif

Falinks:
falinks.gif
falinks.gif
falinks.gif
falinks.gif

Pincurchin:
pincurchin.gif
pincurchin.gif
pincurchin.gif
pincurchin.gif

Snom Line:
Snom:
snom.gif
snom.gif
snom.gif
snom.gif

Frosmoth:
frosmoth.gif
frosmoth.gif
frosmoth.gif
frosmoth.gif

Hey DJTHED, I love your work, Im a new animator and I tried to do my part with Mewtwo.
Full Size:
Mewtwo.gif
100px:
Mewtwo_2.gif
MewtwoBack_2.gif
(I have problems with the outline shader)
I accept all feedback, and Im working in Ninetales and M-Steelix too.

Last edited:
Rillaboom:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
Hi DJTHED! I've been looking at this thread for a long time, and I think your work is great! The models do look on par with regular 3DS models.

Just one little critique about the Rillaboom models. The drum looks too small, especially the ends. See here; both the Smogon render and the original screen rip have bigger drums.

Your model, however:
gif.gif

See what I mean?

Arrokuda:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Barraskewda:
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
Also, these models are great like the rest, but the camera angle is a bit off compared to the Smogon render and original screen rip.
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif
See, your Arrokuda and Barraskewda are tilted a bit more to their left, while the other models I put here are tilted more to their right. As for the backs, the official models are tilted less to the right than yours, so that might be something you need to change.

Otherwise, it's all good! I like the models!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)