Custom 3D Animated Renders

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Staff Notice: Any derailment & bad faith posts within the thread will be met with little tolerance, any repeat offenders within the thread may get threadbanned. Please respect the work of others and understand the nature of the project DJTHED's working on! Thank you. :toast:

----------

May 2020 Edit:
This project has mostly been on hold for many years now for multiple reasons. The main reason being that I've basically moved on from this to work other things. So this is essentially just a dead thread. However, now given recent breakthroughs in Pokemon Sword and Shield Animation Data Parsing, I will be shifting the focus of this project to something else.

By parsing, I mean that the raw animation files from Swords and Shield are now readable and importable in other 3D software, like Blender. and given that Sword and Shield doesn't yield great visual results when trying to do screen rips of Gen 8 Pokemon, I figured this would be a great opportunity to provide 3D Renders in the 3DS Style renders I've been known for doing here for quite a while now. I've actually been waiting to do this since the release of SwSh late last year, but it took a lot longer than I expected for the animations to be fully parsed. It is understandable, though, as the people behind that breakthrough are mostly doing this on their own accord and are essentially just volunteers. It's not reasonable make them feel obligated to do that kind of work hastily.

Pokemon Sword and Shield Custom 3DS Style Animated Renders

gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

Anyway, this is essentially what this project will be now. I will do my best (along with QxC4eva with some help) to provide all Gen 8 Pokemon, and onward, 3DS Style animated renders using assets ripped from the game files, and modifying what is necessary to pull off the effect convincingly in the final renders done in Blender to fit alongside the existing 3DS Screen Rips used for all of the Pokemon Gen 7 and before.
  • The 3D Models (Wireframes/Meshes) themselves I intend to always be unmodified. The models will be ripped from the game files, along with their armature, and imported into Blender with no further modification
  • The 3D Animation files from the games will be imported into Blender just like the models with no significant or any modification, unless if a technical issue comes up requiring a tweak here or there.
  • The Color Textures for the Pokemon I intend to modify to provide thicker outlines. Main reason for this is because the textures created for the Pokemon games on the Nintendo Switch were intended to be displayed on models that would be rendered on large, high resolution monitors or TVs, instead of a 240p handheld screen. So the existing textures have a larger resolution than the textures used to have on the 3DS (4x the total pixels on average per Pokemon texture), and the drawn line detail in the textures themselves are a lot thinner than they were on the 3DS. If you want more detail on this, check this post.
I will be posting my renders in this thread in waves. And I am also accepting any sort of critique for the renders I provide. Like, for example, if anyone has an issue with the scaling of any of the renders (if the Pokemon appears too small or large for its proportions compared to other Pokemon's animated 3DS screen rips), or if anyone spots and shader issues, or inaccuracies with the model or animation compared to how they look in the main games (sometimes there are alternate models that get swapped in and out depending on what the Pokemon is doing, and if I miss this, or make a mistake on which model should be visible while in idle, then that would be a problem that would be worth pointing out to me), etc. It shouldn't take long on my end to address any of these types of critiques.

And quick note, anyone is free to use these Gen 8 3DS style renders for whatever they'd like to use them for. I hold no restrictions in this regard. Smogon and Showdown are of course free to use these, but anyone else may as well if they so choose.

If anyone still wants to know what this thread was all about back in 2015, here's the original OP. Just remember that the project within the OP is no longer active and I don't intend to accept requests related to this.

Original Thread OP from 2015:
This is my first time using the Smogon Forums, so hello everyone. I do believe this is the right forum to post this in... though calling these sprites/renders 'pixel art' is a bit of a stretch. :P

For the past few months, someone on The VG Source, who goes by "Random Talking Bush", has been leading the Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS Model Ripping Project. They've ripped 45.4% of Pokémon from X/Y/OR/AS so far as of October 12th, 2015, and more to come. I looked into the project and experimented with the models. In a nutshell, while I was experimenting, I wondered if I could replicate the look of the Pokémon almost exactly how they look in-game, and possibly make custom animations for the X/Y sprites we use on Pokémon Showdown.

So I tried that, and these are the results I've been having so far:

==

I did this first with my personal favorite Pokémon, Leafeon.
Original
--->New

Original
--->New

And I did Fennekin next as requested from a friend.
Original
--->New

Original
--->New

New sprites animated in Blender--Rendered using Blender Render.

==

Archive:

Current Requests (Some of which are my own):
Will for sure do sometime in the future:
  • Salamence
  • Flareon
  • Jolteon
  • Espeon
  • Glaceon
  • Pikachu (All Cosplay Costumes)
Maybe will do:
  • Skarmory
  • Xatu
  • Charizard-Mega-X (Currently having problems getting the fire to look right)
  • Pidgey
  • Suicune
  • Blaziken-Mega (Currently having problems getting the fire to look right)
  • Keldeo/Keldeo-Resolute
  • Sylveon
  • Salamence-Mega
  • Machamp
  • Marowak
  • Sceptile-Mega
  • Mienshao
  • Rapidash (Currently having problems getting the fire to look right)
  • Haxorus
  • Ninetales
  • Furret
  • Vivillon
  • Scizor-Mega
  • Steelix-Mega
Will never do (These may change if something about the Pokemon changes, such as a new ability or new promotional art, or if someone provides me with a very convincing argument that their poses can be revised to better fit the Pokemon):
  • Porygon
  • Porygon2
  • Porygon-Z
  • Tropius
  • Lucario/Lucario-Mega
  • Slaking
  • Dedenne
  • Landorus-T
  • Ekans
  • Raichu
  • Scrafty
  • Lati@s-Mega
  • Torterra
  • Yanmega
  • Reshiram
  • Hariyama
  • Electabuzz
  • Ambipom
  • Ludicolo
  • Medicham
  • Greninja
  • Charizard/Charizard-Mega-Y
  • Beedrill-Mega
  • Raticate

Last edited by a moderator:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dang, actually surprised how those could be inserted into the cartridges and I wouldn't think twice about it. Fennekin's stance could be somewhat awkward being how it should both be prepared to take and dish out attacks, but the animation is nonetheless real smooth.

Is it fairly easy to do this? I saw your post on VG Resource and I loved the custom Leafeon model and want to make some of my own. I'm dowloading Blender as we speak, but I don't know ANYTHING about 3D models and animation or any of that lol

Err...
Well, all I can really say is that you can't really just jump in and do stuff like this. It takes a decent amount of plain experience. I've been using this program for 5 years and I still don't consider myself great at doing anything related to 3D Animation, so...
Well, would you mind doing a step-by-step tutorial, then? I'd love to be able to make some "custom" models. You could use Butterfree? lol

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
By "custom models", I meant custom animations lol Sorry. But would you still do a tutorial on how to use Blender with those models?
All I can do a tutorial on is the process of importing them and setting up their rigs. I'm afraid I can't teach animation.
Also, if you want to continue this conversation, just PM me so we don't spam this thread.

Wow, looks really solid. Great job on these.

Only thing I can really point out as a complaint is how the new animations seem to lack any serious shading. I don't know anything about how Blender works, although I assume that it has something to do with there being some shading program or whatever that is harder to replicate in the custom animations. I think the back renders especially could benefit from the additional shading, although again, no idea how hard that would be to implement. Otherwise, these look pretty cool, and I'm eager to see your future works. +)

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Wow, looks really solid. Great job on these.

Only thing I can really point out as a complaint is how the new animations seem to lack any serious shading. I don't know anything about how Blender works, although I assume that it has something to do with there being some shading program or whatever that is harder to replicate in the custom animations. I think the back renders especially could benefit from the additional shading, although again, no idea how hard that would be to implement. Otherwise, these look pretty cool, and I'm eager to see your future works. +)
Well...

I decided to shade the back of these Pokémons' back-sprites because I personally think it looks better.
It's really as simple as turning the light source around, really. I do agree with the lack of detail for the back sprites because of it, I'll consider re-rendering them.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is rather interesting. I wouldn't mind these replacing some of the more questionable model rips from the games.

Could I request a Snorlax? Doesn't have to move much (I mean it's not like he does). I'd see about putting this on PS if it gains favour.

Really awesome stuff!

I can't speak with any authority on it, but I am sure that there are some models currently being used in PS which are large/awkwardly shaped that could greatly benefit from being re-posed.

Thank you for sharing these with us! Would love to see more :)

I also saw these on VG resource and thought they were awesome. I'm surprised you haven't posted your larger more traditional renders of Leafeon and Fennekin here too.

Might I suggest playing a bit more with what you can do with pre-rendered stuff that the 3DS can't real time, such as pokémon like lanturn that emit light, once they've been ripped of course.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Could I request a Snorlax? Doesn't have to move much (I mean it's not like he does). I'd see about putting this on PS if it gains favour.

I'm assuming you would like it laying down instead like it did in every other 3D Pokémon game? (Stadium games, Colosseum, XD, Battle Revolution.)

I can't speak with any authority on it, but I am sure that there are some models currently being used in PS which are large/awkwardly shaped that could greatly benefit from being re-posed.
Yeah, I'll definitely get to those big guys eventually. Lol.

I also saw these on VG resource and thought they were awesome. I'm surprised you haven't posted your larger more traditional renders of Leafeon and Fennekin here too.

Might I suggest playing a bit more with what you can do with pre-rendered stuff that the 3DS can't real time, such as pokémon like lanturn that emit light, once they've been ripped of course.
I didn't share those here because it didn't really fit in to what I wanted to show off here.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it can be exactly the same, It's just we never got a very good capture. If you can do similar/same that will be quite all right.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Ever since Gallade moved up to OU, he knew he had to get more serious...

Original
--->New

Original
--->New

Anyway, humanoids are hard for me to make look right for whatever reason, I apologize if the animation looks a bit simple. I'll more than likely work on making this better at a later date. I also can't seem to get the outline to work where the model creases (i.e. where his fin intersects with his head) properly within Blender, unfortunately.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Wow, you are incredible. Love your work! Do you look at the Create-A-Pokemon Project at all? You may be interested in this thread on 3D animating our creations. Give it a look if you so desire. Keep up the awesome work.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
Hm... What makes it not a good capture? I don't see anything wrong with that Snorlax now... I think?
It's mostly involving the crappy back lighting, the original rip was way worse, but our modifications to the render made it manageable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)