ORAS NU CurseLax and his friends

Hi !

First, I'm not a native english speaker sorry for my mistakes.

I'm starting again Pokemon after having play a lot in 4G (good old Shoddy Battle times!) and I wanted to play and the OU metagame in 6G was far different from 4G and the NeverUsed tiers seems really nice.

After playing with some teams, I was wondering why Munchlax wasn't play at all since he got nice stats and even seems stronger than his big bro Snorlax CurseLax in OU. After many tries I came to this team, who try to use Munchlax at his best.

Like Daddy (Munchlax) @ Eviolite

Ability: Thick Fat

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD

Careful Nature

- Curse

- Body Slam

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

This Pokemon is one of my main core with Weezing, thanks to Thick Fat, Eviolite and his good special defense he can wall almost any special threat even Poliwrath with Focus Blast and wallbreakers, and he doesn’t get OHKO without a powerfull fighting move, Hitmonchan doesn’t OHKO him without Close Combat after one curse. Obviously with this set he cannot hold versus Ghost, but they can’t really do much against him too, sometimes I take Pursuit instead of Sleep Talk, wich is fine if you can use Heal Bell from Audino but makes Munchlax weaker against physical threat. He’s really hard to kill, and he checks extremely well any special sweeper who doesn’t have focus blast and he wins against most of Calm Mind and Quiver Dance. I prefer Body Slam over Return since the parahax is stronger than a bit more damage. Of course, now let’s talk about the Curselax, which we saw Curse can allow Munchlax to not be 2HKO by physical move you can after a Curse you put on Pyroar for example beat Hitmonchan by abusing Rest and Sleep Talk (but you need your Eviolite or you’ll need luck on Sleep Talk). You can setup the CurseLax soon in the game if the opponent doesn’t have a bulky physical sweep like Aggron or Rhydon who can setup on Munchlax and you’ll need to use Weezing to use Will-O-Wisp most of the time or Fire Blast if under substitute for Aggron. To show you some of his insane bulk with one curse, Tauros Life Orb does only 3HKO him, which allows him to plays with Rest and Sleep Talk.

SMOGOGO (Weezing) @ Black Sludge

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe

Bold Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Will-O-Wisp

- Fire Blast

- Pain Split

- Taunt

My second wall, my main physical tank. Poison typing with Levitate allows him to come in any Earthquake or fighting move that Snorlax wouldn’t like to take and punish them with Will-O-Wisp or attack them. Pain Split helps really a lot to stay high in life and allows him to fight against Lanturn if he success to burn him, Taunt is for the defensive Pokémon that often come on Munchlax to put some entry hazards and with Will-O-Wisp they won’t stay long and Fire Blast are for killing steel Pokemon that comes into Munchlax and make some place for Zweilous’ Outrage. Weezing is the main answer against physical Pokemon who boost themself like Rhydon with Rock Polish and Sword Dance if they got a strong attack against Steelix, if they got one be careful about saving Weezing, by supporting with Audino and using more the rest of the team (Audino Mega and Steelix for physical, without forgetting Rotom with his useful immunity. This Weezing got the main weakness to be useless against Fire Pokemon who doesn’t have to fear Will-O-Wisp and Fire Blast, but you got Munchlax to hold them, as well than Audino and ultimately you must be able to hold one attack and put Pain Split to start putting them down.

Barbie Girl (Audino) @ Audinite

Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD

Calm Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Wish

- Protect

- Heal Bell

- Dazzling Gleam

He’s the main support of the core, and his defensive setup allow Weezing and Munchlax to stay alive without any condition, which works well with Munchlax and Rest. His global tankiness and typing allow him to take some opportunity to setup and support the team. He’s really hard to take off the fight and you can easy switch him into most of attacks. Dazzling Gleam allows him to fight a bit, but don’t expect too much damage unless super effective.

Babies Dragons (Zweilous) @ Choice Band

Ability: Hustle

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Crunch

- Outrage

- Superpower

- Facade

Zweilous got a big head, and he hurts like hell. With this setup he can with outrage deal around 80% in a defensive Weezing. His typing is really good, and let him go on every psychic attack for free and take at least one hit from Dark/Ghost/Elektrik/Water/Fire/Grass wich are pretty common and after sweep with a powerful attack, generally Crunch at the begin or Superpower, and Outrage to finish the team. His main problem is his speed, only 215 who is enough to outspeed Torterra, Omastar and Cacturne and most of defensive Pokemon. If you success to put him on the battle and allows him to attack once, he’s able to make a big hole on the enemy team thanks to his coverage and movepool and I often kill or put extremely a Pokemon everything time he’s on the floor. Facade is here if Zweilous got a unlucky Burn to deals good damage and good coverage, but Crunch is your first main STAB and after Outrage when Steel are low or done and Fairy out of the battle. Sometimes I used Dragon Tail instead of Facade to be lame and abusing about Stealth Rock and with Weezing@Toxic Spikes. Head Smash is the common last attack, but his accuracy is too low for me to handle.

BeautySnake (Steelix) @ Leftovers

Ability: Careful

EVs: 244 HP / 12 Atk / 252 SpD

Careful Nature

- Stealth Rock

- Heavy Slam

- Roar

- Toxic

This set could sound a bit weird, but he’s effective for me. He does the classical Stealth Rock and can often Toxic first before Stealth Rock depends of the team. Roar allows him to check some Pokemons who can be annoying for us and I find Roar most effective than Dragon Tail since you cannot miss it and it works against substitute who can be extremely strong. Heavy Slam is save as the main STAB, since Earthquake doesn’t often hit hard because the opponent will predict it : now with Toxic, Roar you can successfully earn one turn or a free toxic and even more. Toxic works fine against most of the tank or bulky Pokemon who comes into Steelix, and I often prefer it over the classic Earthquake setup. The EVs are here to make Steelix a better wall and deals better against special Pokemon to let him makes Stealth Rock and another move against most of them, and you don’t need increase damage to deal versus Xatu you’ll 3HKO. He doesn’t usually stay long in the fight once he makes his job, but you can easily save him thanks to the defensive team and bring him back later with maybe a wish if needed against the enemy team.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

The team is pretty slow, and defensive so you need to add a bit of power in this team and Rotom fits well. I was used to play Haunter before, but the Volt Switch and better dual STAB with better defensive stats makes me prefer Rotom Choice Scarf. Dual STAB will deal good damage to anything that doesn’t resist and got nice coverage, allowing you to get good revenge kill and scouting with Volt Switch. It could be a bit tricky to play a weak ghost, because most of fighting Pokemon gots Knock off and will often use it and Volt Switch can be counter by Ground and Lanturn. Trick can be useful to make a pokemon almost useless. If you fight someone without Ground Pokemon or Lanturn (and anything about Lightning Rod and likes), or you took them down, you can bring him on the fight more often and spam Volt Switch to setup. Shadow Ball is safer move to start dealing damage to enemy team if this counters are still up.

THREAT LIST
The team is slow, and doesn’t put that much direct pressure outside Zweilous and Rotom, so it can be hard to deal versus heavy offense team who can force you to make deadly choices. So far I’ve been ok against most of them but I may lack of pressure to make it easier. Zweilous is maybe too slow for being the main offensive threat with Rotom, but actually he has a bit of success making deadly holes. Big stall team can be tricky to fight, but the team is enough strong to hold them and get in my opinion decent tools against them. Fast taunt user can be annoying too. I'll list the main Pokemon of the tiers and how I deal with them :

Jynx : Jinx is perfect wall by Munchlax, who doesn’t have to fear anything from her and can come even without being full life easily and setup. Steelix can take 3 Ice Beam and OHKO her, but doesn’t hold Ice Beam + Focus Blast, Audino can hold thanks to his set and tankiness. Rotom Scarf is dangerous for Jynx, and Zweilous can come into Psychic from Jynx Scarf.

Tauros : Mega Audino can hold him unless Iron Tail, Weezing same story instead it’s unless Zen Headbutt. Munchlax with one curse can hold 3 hits from Rock Climb and 2HKO thanks to Life Orb/Stealth Rock, or 3HKO if 100%. Can be dangerous, but well, that’s Tauros.

Archeops : Steelix can hold few hits and kills him with Heavy Slam even with this set, Mega Audino once again wall him if no Taunt/ Roost, Weezing can Will-O-Wisp but must be careful and Rotom Scarf can finish with Volt Switch or Shadow Ball.

Garbodor : Steelix is a safe choice, and can use Roar, the defensive EVs in special makes Steelix holding better the focus blast version. Munchlax can setup on him, offensive Garbodor gets 3HKO with Drain Punch and 2HKO with Gunk Shot, but in almost all case people use Drain Punch, and after one Curse you get 3HKO by Gunk Shot, 4HKO by Drain Punch, letting you play with Sleep Talk and Rest, the defensive Garbodor is easier to play around because he can’t 2HKO you. Weezing can Will-O-Wisp to start dealing some damage and doesn’t have a lot to fear. Rotom deals good damage, with around 41% with Thunderbolt to 32% with Volt Switch (38% with Shadow Ball) and Trick is very lame. Mage Audino can endless stall but not worth unless he’s dying with a burn. The team is not really weak to Spike and Toxic Spikes, thanks to Mega Audino and levitate/Steel Pokemon, Munchlax can rest to heal from entry hazards and poison, only Zweilous dislikes them but at least you won’t be burn. Zweilous can 2HKO Garbodor with Crunch/Superpower, and almost OHKO with Outrage (89-105%), he’s faster and can hold one hit.

Lilligant : Perfect wall with Munchlax, who can setup, deal damage, Rest, until 4 Quiver Dance who gives him 2HKO with Giga Drain, but you 2HKO him with Body Slam after one Curse, you could want to take Return to get a chance to 2HKO even without Curse but it’s useless since Lilligant is pretty much armless against Munchlax. Steelix is 3HKO by Giga Drain, and can take one and attack (around 55% dmg) or Roar/Toxic, Lilligant needs 3 Quiver Dance to OHKO Steelix. Mega Audino hold Lilligant a bit with his Dazzling Gleam and his tankiness. Rotom is faster and can take one hit if no boost and 2HKO with Shadow Ball.

Mesprit : Once again Munchlax doesn’t fear Mesprit, Mega Audino is fine if it’s not Calm Mind Mesprit, in this case Steelix is nice with his Roar and Toxic and his EV’s and nature helps him. Zweilous can come into Psychic and be a threat if it’s a choice set. Rotom with Ghost Ball hits hard Mesprit and outspeed him.

Pyroar : Guess who perfect wall him and can setup ? You got it, Munchlax yepee ! But if Snorlax is down, Pyroar can be a problem. Mega Audino struggles against him and can’t switch in, but can only stall him with Wish and Protect and PP waste him if he’s choice specs or waits he dies by himself by Life Orb, not the sexiest way to deal with a Pokemon, but it’s Mage Audino is the second knife against him, save Munchlax as much as possible if you’re against Pyroar and setup Stealth Rock to makes Rotom able to revenge kill or comes into Hyper Voice. You can aswell use Weezing to hold one hit and Pain Split after, but you need all your HP and if stealth rock are up, you can be OHKO if you’re unlucky. Finaly, Zweilous can hold one hit and kill him, but there is a chance with Stealth rock or choice specs to get OHKO and you’re slower.

Rhydon : Munchlax is not the answer here. Weezing is fine since with Levitate, he’ll Will-o-Wisp Rhydon and makes him useless but you need some HP.. Mega Audino can avoid him to set up too hard by holding hits well before Sword Dance and dealing at least 25% damage. Steelix can deal same damage, Toxic or Roar but got OHKO once Rhydon got Sword Dance. Rotom can outspeed him even after one Rock Polish and deal around 42% damage. Zweilous can take one hit if any boost, and deal around 85% with Superpower and he’s faster than Rhydon without Rock Polish. Rhydon seems to be a big problem but actually the team looks like it can handle him, sometimes at big prices, and he wasn’t that much a problem. Still looking into him !

Rotom : Munchlax doesn’t have anything to fear against him, but unless you use Pursuit, he doesn’t have anything to fear against you unless seing your Munchlax getting a good setup and ultimately going for a PP battle, but without going at this Munchlax can take any hits like Volt Switch with ease. Steelix can deal with Rotom nicely but have to be careful about Trick, Mega Audimo can come without any problem too and helps the team and Zweilous can tank one hit and kill him or try to breach a hole. If you’re in deep shit, you can try Weezing who can take 2 or 3 hits, letting you a bit more space to your own Rotom who can’t be slower (speed tie at least) to revenge kill.

Samurott : I have heard Munchlax was bad because Samurott could come freely and sweep my team but Samurott 3HKO Munchlax without Sword Dance, and Munchlax can 3HKO with Stealth Rock, so Samurott can’t switch freely on Munchlax, especially if you get a curse getting close to 2HKO him and only taking around 24%. With Samurott Sword Dance you can take one single (up to 80% max), but if he gets one and you got Munchlax on the ground, you should already sweeping him or at least having one curse, which made you 57% chance to be 3HKO, and you could play with Rest and Sleep Talk to overcome him with a bit of luck, but with two curses already up once he got Sword Dance, you can 2HKO him and he can only 3HKO you. Munchlax is a true monster, but you need to get a lot of HP. Samurott can’t really switch on Munchlax. Weezing is ok against Samurott with his classical Will-o-wisp, but you have to not forget the Lum berry. Steelix can hold one hit with Sword Dance and Roar/Toxic. Rotom is a good revenge kill since he can hold Aqua Jet +2 (taking around 66%) and OHKO with Thunderbolt or using Volt Switch. Mega Audino is a fine answer, being able generally to be 3HKO with Sword Dance, and deal some damage or heal himself and wait the burn or toxic kills him. Samurott can be hard to manage once he got his Sword Dance, but it’s pretty hard for him to being able to setup unless probably on a weak Weezing at the late.

Shiftry : Mega Audino is the best counter since he doesn’t fear anything at all and can sweep or support the team, Weezing is fine against him. Steelix can hold one hit from the Sword Dance and 2HKO him with Heavy Slam or Roar/Toxic, he doesn’t fear the Leaf Storm who will deal around 50% damage and being able to let Steelix hold one more hit from Knock Off or Sucker Punch. Munchlax is not really good against him unless he’s already setup with two curses even if you can make something with only one curse and lucky Sleep Talk if no Sword Dance.

Swellow : Steelix is good against him, even holding Heat Wave with very few chance to get 2HKO and dealing up to 78% or Roar/Toxic. Choice Spec is easily hold by Munchlax, who struggle a bit against the Guts Attacker even if he hold one hit and Body Slam deals 50%. Mega Audino is 2HKO by Swellow physical but deal around 50% with Dazzling Gleam and Rotom can hold one hit and kill with Volt Switch. Stealth Rock is strong against him.

Hitmonchan : Munchlax doesn’t hold Hitmonchan unless he got 3 curses which allows him to OHKO Hitmonchan and holding everything (Close Combat going to 66% max), and if he doesn’t have Close Combat (more likely) you’re setup since nothing can 2HKO him. You could greed one curse to get the setup by expecting Rapid Spin, but I wouldn’t recommend since CurseLax is a scary thing. Weezing is my counter, holding everything well and as you know Will-o-Wisp power but you can greed Rotom to avoid Rapid Spin or fighting move and Volt Switch, but Ice Punch/Stone Edge hurts you hard. Mega Audino doesn’t have a lot to fear, with Wish and Protect to cover his ass and Dazzling Gleam to 2HKO Hitmonchan. Steelix struggle against Hitmonchan, only being able to take one hit, but can be used at last resort. Zweilous isn’t recommended since Hitmonchan is faster and can OHKO with Ice Punch.

Thanks for any advice !

Last edited:

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
hi, cool team.

I really like the whole curselax dynamic but I think it could use some work. First off, Vigoroth is generally preferred as a normal type setup sweeper due to its higher speed, more reliable recovery, and ability to break stall effectively but whether or not you choose to use it over Munchlax I think that you need a way to reliably take on some of the tier's bulkier normal checks in order for a mono-attacking normal setup sweeper to function effectively. I think this role is best filled by Kabutops, it can 2HKO most of the tier's bulkier normal resists with and unboosted Waterfall after Stealth Rock damage and access to Aqua Jet helps to remedy your team's lack of speed.

I also noticed that Steelix and Weezing's sets were somewhat sub-optimal. I think Weezing should run Sludge Bomb over Fire Blast. While Fire Blast provides good coverage, a STAB Sludge Bomb often hits a lot harder and its chance to Poison targets is nice too. Steelix should also be running 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD with an Adamant nature. This spread ensures lix won't be 2HKO'd by Tauros's Fire Blast and also boosts its Attack considerably ensuring it won't be completely passive. In addition, I think you should run Earthquake over Roar since having both Roar and Toxic on a set is somewhat redundant and EQ allows you to hit heavier / steel resistant targets much harder.

Vigoroth @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe (96 speed evs creep neutral natured base 70s)
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Slack Off
- Taunt
- Return

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Stay sharp.

Thanks for the comment !

I'm going to see for Kabutops, I really like this idea. Probably I could just change Zweilous for him without too much problems.

For Sludge Bomb on Weezing, well I already played this set and I didn't find Sludge Bomb useful since I didn't really get good shoot with it, only hitting Pyroar and Charizard who are not usually a problem while the Fire Blast coverage looks better for me here. For sure it does often more damage with Sludge Bomb but I don't feel like it's the damage I need. For Steelix, I started with this set too, and I feel like Eartquake was a bit like Sludge Bomb, nice but not really the damage I want and Fire Blaze from Weezing was already taking steel pokemons, and without any attack boost Steelix is able to deal nicely with Heavy Slam and nothing came in my mind where attack EVs would help to get 2HKO, of course I may and I'm probably be wrong. Special Defense boost allows Steelix to be more tanky against some Pokemons. I should look about putting back Earthquake over Toxic and look about the EVs !

For Vigoroth that's really a nice set, I didn't know about him ! I like him a lot and I'll probably try to make something around him but he looks way weaker to offensive Pokemon like Pyroar or Charizard, or setup special threat. Don't really know what to think about him, but I have to try it !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)