Resource [Crown Tundra] Sword/Shield BSS Viability Rankings

RoyalReloaded

!
is a Top Tiering Contributor
MPL Champion
Hello, this is my first time posting here, so I am very sorry if I mess something up. With that being said, I'd like to give my reasoning as to why I think Mamoswine deserves to be a bit higher.

1606580731771.png
B -> B+ (or A-)

I have been using Mamoswine all season, and it has treated me very well. He is a great sash user who (in my personal opinion) is better without dynamax, so you can max another pokemon on your team that has a bit more firepower. My personal favorite set is as follows:

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Tomb

I prefer Icicle Spear over Icicle Crash because of the accuracy and the fact that it hits several times.

Now, in my fairly optimistic opinion, here is a list of pokemon in S through A rank that focus sash Mamoswine can beat in a non dynamax 1v1.

S rank
Landorus-T
Mimikyu

A+ Rank
Dragapult
Hippowdon
Naganadel
Nihilego
Zapdos

A Rank
Dragonite
Heatran
Moltres-Galar
Pheromosa
Regieleki
Rillaboom
Salamence

The main drawback is stealth rocks, breaking his focus sash, even though he doesn't take a lot of damage from them...

But yeah, I really like Mamoswine as a late game non dynamax pokemon, let me know if you have had some successes with him :)

I agree w/ all those. In particular wanted to say that I see very few Glastrier, what little I've played on cart(22 games this series) and on PS. They aren't on the same level as the rest of A+...but that's for usage and I remember mailli or someone saying not to just nominate off that. So someone who DOES use Glastrier should chime in.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Have a couple observations to throw in here myself:

:zapdos: A+ -> S (Rise)

This thing is basically the new Togekiss. It can basically show up as it pleases, sports amazing coverage and is next to impossible to kill quickly when its Dynamaxed from full. I think this is because despite actually being decent offensive types this meta, what does the meta have for top Rock and Ice type talent to challenge it? Nihilego, and that's about it. Glastrier is theoretically the next best thing but its far rarer for a reason. Roost is what really puts it over the top though, because if you can't kill it before it comes out of Dynamax it just heals up unless you start going for hard EQ reads. Its a monster and it absolutely should be S tier.

:glastrier: A+ -> A-/B+ (Drop)

I honestly don't have much to say here except I almost never see it, which goes along with its #21 usage stat per Pikalytics. If I had to guess, its opportunity cost is just too high if you aren't running something like dedicated Cress support with Trick Room + Lunar Dance. I'm obviously making a bit of a blind suggestion here, but there are enough popular checks to it (ex: Tapu Fini) that I think it can't snowball as hard as its statline and ability would suggest.

A -> A-/B+ (Drop)

Easy for me to say now but when the hype first started for this thing I was skeptical. Its neutral Dark/Flying coverage is fantastic but without reliable super-effective hits you are going to struggle as a sweeper. I think this has proven true for Moltres-G. The amount of boosts you need for Moltres-G to truly snowball out of control is absurd; its definitely possible, but Moltres-G is another opportunity cost mon that wants plenty of room to setup (ex: dedicated screen support) and Dynamax to be truly successful. Even at +3 SpA, Moltres-G is far from being an auto-win. Then of course we have something like S-tier candidate Zapdos who makes it absolutely miserable by being faster than it and resisting Airstream; if Dynamax is on the table, Zapdos can stall out Moltres-G's Dynamax and reverse sweep with ease unless Moltres has boosted to absolutely looney levels of SpA.

Make no mistake, Moltres-G is a terrifying mon under the right circumstances but it requires an insane amount of support to function as a consistent win condition. If it had just a little bit better coverage I think it would be a completely different story.

:swampert: A- -> A (Rise)

I'd really like to hear other people's experiences with Swampert. Its very hard to stop without grass coverage or Tapu Fini, the latter of which can get slow-turned on into a potential counter. On top of that it can carry Ice Beam/Ice Punch to smack Lum setup Dragons. Its got a great suite of tools to differentiate it from Hippo and it can warp team preview in much the same way, so I do think it could use a small bump.
Good post, I don't really agree with too much here but its well informed and the points are delivered well. Here are my thoughts:

:zapdos: A+ -> S (Rise) Agree, sorta
Sure on a rise, I personally have it S- on my list, and if that comes to fruition next VR, it will have a lot of good company that better reflects its viability at near the top but not quite there yet. I think if S becomes more exclusive, something I've been pushing for, it sticks out a bit more as something that can be counterpicked more easily than the other Mons I hope to have at S rank next update: Cinderace, Lando-T, and Mimikyu.

:glastrier: A+ -> A-/B+ (Drop) Disagree
Glast will most likely drop, but this thing is super anti meta and is absolutely absurd at stat abuse, similar to how Tyranitar was at the beginning of S2 and popping up everywhere. The difference between it and Ttar however is no double weaknesses or Mimikyu weakness, being able to hit harder earlier, and a less middling speed tier allowing it to be the best TR abuser in the game, A-/B+ is2 too low for it. I think I'll vote for it to be A next list, and unless its usage skydives, its probably a fair assessment.

A -> A-/B+ (Drop): Agree
I have said from the beginning that this thing is completely overrated and it being higher usage than things like Dragapult is completely laughable. It's one of the most common screens abusers, and since the pea brains in low/mid ladder love to spam screens, it gets way more usage than it deserves. I don't think it'll drop until people re-discover for the 20th cycle this generation about how to beat screens again, but if I could have my way I'd put it similar rank to where you suggest.

:swampert: A- -> A (Rise) Disagree
Tapu Fini isnt going anywhere, and it faces hard competition from Hippo which in my opinion outclasses it outside from getting easy wins against bad unprepared players who don't know how to deal with Yawn Rocks leads in 2020, a role which Swampert is better at more than any other mon in the game. The biggest issue is that no Roar this generation makes it setup bait against any sub / status berry user, and if you try to Yawn that threat, the game is immediately over. Also the double weakness has been exploited by a lot of mons who have Grass options, as Grass overall is solid coverage in the meta, and this trend is increasing by the day (see Celesteela, Nihilego, Heatran)

Another post on Mamoswine raise, here are my thoughts
1606580731771.png

B -> B+ (or A-): Definitely not A-, maybe B+?
Mamoswine is good against half the meta, but a momentum drain against the other half. I personally don't like the set you provided, if there was a Mamo set I'd think could get B+, its Sash Oblivious + Stealth Rock.
Also, Jolly isnt nearly as useful a speed tier this generation, and in particular this Series (no more spam Togekiss, Gyarados), so I'd rather be Adamant Max Max anyways. If you are going to be a lead, use its traits to its advantage (oblivious cant be taunted, guarantee Rocks up), giving it an important thing that Swampert CANNOT do better.

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Pokemon not yet mentioned in the thread that should be considered for a move

Dracovish should move up to B+. Its positive matchups vs Cinderace and Landorus-T are amazing, which gives it great matchup vs the Big 6. Mimikyu and Dragapult are still good (people are catching onto Dragapult being good, and expect its usage to stay there with other A+ Pokemon), but them not being the most used Pokemon ever makes it a lot easier to actually use Dracovish. Rillaboom and Fini are other top tier Pokemon that have positive matchups vs Dracovish, but that doesn't stop Dracovish being way better than other Pokemon in B. Only Tyranitar, Latias, Latios, Excadrill can even be considered to be in the same viability tier. These bad matchups are also easier to handle when they are compelled to go for 1 move (Moonblast, or Grassy Glide) or they also risk their Dracovish resist getting blown up.

Tyranitar's good matchup vs Zapdos and Moltres-G are big reasons behind its rise in usage. It does have its poor matchups, like Rillaboom, Cinderace, Pheromosa, etc. but its Ice coverage makes it quite difficult to switch into.

You know I usually don't post about lower tiers but I think it's really absurd Chansey is this low at C. B- sounds a bit more reasonable. I think its physical bulk over Blissey is a significant enough selling in this current metagame. This is actually placed lower than its cartridge usage, which is inherently stacked against a stally Pokemon's favor because of games involving Chansey taking 20 minutes. I think sorting out B+ / B situation could take priority over this though.

Suggesting to lower Metagross to B+. While it does good vs. Mimikyu it still takes a lot from Ghost STAB and the same goes for Landog and both can Dynamax to OHKO/increase the likelihood. It loses to Celesteela, Fini, and Cinderace, the other S mone. It loses to Hippo and cannot hurt Rotoms very well. There's ofc the old enemy for it, P2, and Zapdos has Heat Wave. That triggers WP but we're ranking the mon not the item-WP is clearly S rank for items. Dragapult can OHKO w/o Dynamaxing. Naganadel mostly runs Fire Blast for fire which ofc ohkos, and even Flamethrower does it most of the time. Lapras, Moltres-G, and Ferro are other notable problems.

It does beat Nihilego which is great, and Glastrier, but I'm only suggesting a half rank drop for now.

I don't know enough about TTar, but I agree w/ Chansey and strongly agree w/ Dracovish. Water is better coverage than electric thanks to grounds, it should be above Dracozolt.

Last edited:
Suggesting to lower Metagross to B+. While it does good vs. Mimikyu it still takes a lot from Ghost STAB and the same goes for Landog and both can Dynamax to OHKO/increase the likelihood. It loses to Celesteela, Fini, and Cinderace, the other S mone. It loses to Hippo and cannot hurt Rotoms very well. There's ofc the old enemy for it, P2, and Zapdos has Heat Wave. That triggers WP but we're ranking the mon not the item-WP is clearly S rank for items. Dragapult can OHKO w/o Dynamaxing. Naganadel mostly runs Fire Blast for fire which ofc ohkos, and even Flamethrower does it most of the time. Lapras, Moltres-G, and Ferro are other notable problems.

It does beat Nihilego which is great, and Glastrier, but I'm only suggesting a half rank drop for now.
Not sure I agree with this one. To be fair, Metagross definitely suffers from four move slot syndrome and needs its Psychic coverage if it has any hope of hurting the mainstream Rotoms. Furthermore, Steel/Psychic is not particularly great as far as super-effective coverage is concerned (at least not in this meta) and I wouldn't even say that it likes the Mimikyu matchup: if it comes in after Kyu has boosted its eating a huge hit from +2 Shadow Claw/Phantasm; if it comes in early, Kyu can Swords Dance on one of its max turns and then easily kill it after it runs out of Dynamax.

But Metagross belongs where, imo, most WP sweepers belong: in the back as a reverse sweeper. What Metagross's typing lacks in offensive coverage he gains in defensive coverage and a statline to go with it. With dynamax it is absurdly hard to kill; You want to cycle around it? It can use Steelspike/Quake to boost its defenses while you're doing that and still be hard to kill later (EDIT: forgot to mention Clear Body blocking stuff like Intimidate.) Boost past it? Its typing takes neutral damage from incoming Knuckles and blocks Ooze. You need that super-effective damage (or boosts) to have any hope of killing it, and whether you try to kill it fast or wait it out, it can still manage to make itself more and more of a problem with each passing turn.

Again, it works best as a late-game sweeper after you've softened up the enemy team. You could argue its a "win more" type of poke but I think it has its place on cushion teams or even as a panic button sweeper. I think the main argument to move it down, if anything, is its moveslot syndrome needing to be shored up for by the team.

Last edited:

DerpySuX

I’ll encourage ya smile, I’d expect you don’t cry
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I’ve been messing around with Quagsire and I thoroughly believe that he’s worthy of C ranking, if not B- rank, solely for the fact that he is such a fantastic stop to the likes of Cinderace, offensive Landorus-T, Celesteela, and Nihilego without grass knot. He requires a lot of support, yes, but the payoff of him being able to wall and force out such perennial threats is not something to overlook.

Here’s the set I’ve been using

Quagsire @ Rocky Helmet
Ability - Unaware
Bold Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Scald
Yawn
Stockpile
Recover

This set aims to stay in and annoy boosting sweepers, yawn, with prediction, can force an otherwise unfavorable matchup, such as rillaboom to switch out as it comes in, or even bait in counters so you can safely fish for scald burns. Stockpile can allow you to boost your defenses as your opponent wails at you to no avail, and recover is pretty self explanatory.

Partners -
From my testing I’ve found some good partners to be Goodra, Heatran, Moltres (both forms), Cresselia, Landorus - Therian, Naganadel, Celesteela, both Lati twins, and Pheromosa.
These Pokémon are all capable of capitalizing on the switches Quagsire forces with yawn, and can even fall back on Quagsire versus things like moxie Salamence.

Threats -
Rillaboom is the most obvious threat, but other things like Blaziken, Nihilego and Charizard have a habit of running grass coverage. It’s best to scout these Pokémon for such moves before using Quagsire to counter them.

Overall, I think Quagsire is heavily underrated currently. He’s very niche yes, but that niche is extremely valuable. I hope I’ve inspired some of you to give the Dopefish a shot, you may be surprised by how well he works!

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I’ve been messing around with Quagsire and I thoroughly believe that he’s worthy of C ranking, if not B- rank, solely for the fact that he is such a fantastic stop to the likes of Cinderace, offensive Landorus-T, Celesteela, and Nihilego without grass knot. He requires a lot of support, yes, but the payoff of him being able to wall and force out such perennial threats is not something to overlook.

Here’s the set I’ve been using

Quagsire @ Rocky Helmet
Ability - Unaware
Bold Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Scald
Yawn
Stockpile
Recover

This set aims to stay in and annoy boosting sweepers, yawn, with prediction, can force an otherwise unfavorable matchup, such as rillaboom to switch out as it comes in, or even bait in counters so you can safely fish for scald burns. Stockpile can allow you to boost your defenses as your opponent wails at you to no avail, and recover is pretty self explanatory.

Partners -
From my testing I’ve found some good partners to be Goodra, Heatran, Moltres (both forms), Cresselia, Landorus - Therian, Naganadel, Celesteela, both Lati twins, and Pheromosa.
These Pokémon are all capable of capitalizing on the switches Quagsire forces with yawn, and can even fall back on Quagsire versus things like moxie Salamence.

Threats -
Rillaboom is the most obvious threat, but other things like Blaziken, Nihilego and Charizard have a habit of running grass coverage. It’s best to scout these Pokémon for such moves before using Quagsire to counter them.

Overall, I think Quagsire is heavily underrated currently. He’s very niche yes, but that niche is extremely valuable. I hope I’ve inspired some of you to give the Dopefish a shot, you may be surprised by how well he works!
Quagsire could probably end up in C ranks like the rest of the niche stall pokes. That being said, Quagsire does not beat Celesteela and is absolute leech sub fodder, and over half the Nihilego are running Grass coverage (both leech and grass knot respectively are hovering around 2/3rds usage, which is massive). Fini is also a huge problem for it, as its complete setup bait against it. Even if Quagsire was worthy of the rank, I think your set you provided and the reasoning are inadequate arguments for a ranking, sorry.

I too find issue w/ the set if not the possible ranking. I used to Use Quagsire, Lefties EQ/ Recover/ Toxic/ Counter. Counter really help cause it's not actually that bulky. Toxic seems crucial since so few mons get it now. That set might get C, though I hadn't thought to nominate since I removed it for being too weak.

Still, C is pretty niche stuff I think it can get there. I got Coalossal to C pre-Crown Tundra(not feeling it now w/ Fini and such!)

What does everyone think about Lapras? Lapras fell from 18th to 44th from Series 5 to Series 7, receiving less usage than than the likes of Regieleki, Grimmsnarl, and G-Zapdos.

A-Ninetales could also be worth discussing as it made top 50.

A-Ninetails is above plenty of ranked mons in usage. I think it should be C at least, Aurora Veil is the main thing but it gets STAB accurate Blizzard ofc which is still something even off fairly low SpA. Freeze-Dry can be important, and I have a sneaking suspicion Baby-Doll Eyes is viable on it since A-Ninetails is meant to die for a sweeper, it can do two things almost guaranteed before dying that way.

I’d like to nominate Tapu Bulu to C rank. It is mostly outclassed by Rillaboom thanks to the Gorilla’s access to Grassy Glide, but I have seen it be used on certain stall cores like Bulu + Pex + Heatran like last Gen, since those teams appreciate the Dark and Fighting resists Tapu Bulu provides that Rillaboom cannot provide.

A-Ninetails is above plenty of ranked mons in usage. I think it should be C at least, Aurora Veil is the main thing but it gets STAB accurate Blizzard ofc which is still something even off fairly low SpA. Freeze-Dry can be important, and I have a sneaking suspicion Baby-Doll Eyes is viable on it since A-Ninetails is meant to die for a sweeper, it can do two things almost guaranteed before dying that way.
I agree with this. I think A-Ninetales had a very unique chance to succeed in Series 6 with Hippo and Tyranitar banned (both mess heavily with its Hail+Veil gimmick,) but if anything it at least has a place on the rare Slush Rush fossil team.

On that same note--and this is very much personal opinion--I just want to put in a good word for Aurorus that it should not fall to being UR. I've been running Veil/Rocks + Freeze Dry + Icy Wind + Thunder Wave and as a suicide lead its been getting a lot of value. Timid 252+ Spe Aurorus can outrun pretty much the entire metagame that it can paralyze all the way up to Timid/Jolly Pheromosa, pretty much always buying it an extra turn to set screens or rocks. Rocks is unironically higher usage than Veil according to Pikalytics, which is admittedly hilarious since pressuring Hail + Veil can lead to some questionable decisions on the opponent's part. Plus, being an Ice/Rock type with Freeze-Dry makes it an excellent anti-lead since it doesn't lose Sash to sand or hail and it pressures leads like Swampert and Hippo:

252 SpA Aurorus Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 132-156 (61.3 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (61.3% * 2 = 122.6%, meaning all but two super low rolls will kill after Sitrus recovery.)

Its a suicide lead, yes, but one that is really good at pressuring offensively-oriented teams and checking other leads.

Ok so this'll be my first post here so ignore any typestyle errors i might've made lol
I think Rhyperior should be moved to B+, maybe even A-. It has super good matchups on a majority of the S and A tier pokemon, having good matchups against celesteela (with fire / thunder punch), Cinderace, Landorus (with Ice Punch), Mimikyu, Glastrier (with literally any rock move alongside ground move), Naganadel, nihilego, Heatran, G Moltres, Regieleki, Dragonite and Salamence (with Ice Punch), Ferrothorn (with fire punch), Blaziken, Garchomp (with ice punch), and Thundurus, alongside, while holding assault vest / or with hefty special defense, being one of the best (kanto) zapdos checks in the game by simply resisting everything zapdos has access to. of course, weakness policy sets are terrifying as well, cause the rillaboom you thought would kill with grassy glide could just miss the ko on a dynamaxed rhyperior who then responds with a OHKO with +2 max hailstorm or max flare. However, I enjoy the bulk of an Assault Vest, allowing Rhyperior to easily withstand blows from Nihilego, Zapdos, and a host of other specially oriented threats.
This is the set i have been using, and it has brought a ton of success on my games, both in cart and on showdown:
Rhyperior (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Solid Rock
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 140 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
252+ Atk Glastrier Max Hailstorm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Dynamax Rhyperior: 159-189 (35.8 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Cinderace-Gmax Max Knuckle vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Dynamax Rhyperior: 131-154 (29.5 - 34.6%) -- 5.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Zapdos Max Airstream vs. 252 HP / 140 SpD Assault Vest Rhyperior: 70-84 (31.5 - 37.8%) -- 93.2% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Nihilego Max Overgrowth vs. 252 HP / 140 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Dynamax Rhyperior: 189-225 (42.5 - 50.6%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Heatran Max Overgrowth vs. 252 HP / 140 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Dynamax Rhyperior: 228-270 (51.3 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (i.e. it doesn't do enough with anything else while rhyperior ohkoes non shuca variants in return)
252+ SpA Life Orb Naganadel Max Wyrmwind vs. 252 HP / 140 SpD Assault Vest Dynamax Rhyperior: 144-172 (32.4 - 38.7%) -- 98.3% chance to 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Salamence Max Quake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Dynamax Rhyperior: 201-237 (45.2 - 53.3%) -- 34% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Moltres-Galar Max Darkness vs. 252 HP / 140 SpD Assault Vest Dynamax Rhyperior: 230-270 (51.8 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Max Quake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Dynamax Rhyperior: 316-373 (71.1 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(yes, i do realize that some of these calcs are a bit overkill but AV rhyperior is super tanky, and once you get rid of your opponent's water and grass types, rhyperior can clean team on its own with its own dynamax)
Rhyperior 2hkoes or ohkoes all of the pokemon i've listed and threatens a bunch of other top threats as well, so if you've been struggling with zapdos, heatran, nihilego, salamence, and landorus, this is the perfect pokemon for you!

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Sorry for a late post, the week ended up busier than anticipated but we got done voting a few days ago so it's time for another VR update. Everything that was nominated (EDIT: almost everything, sorry) between last time and now have been voted on, with the exception of the Rhyperior post since it was posted as we were finishing our votes.

However, the Rhyperior nomination will likely be taken into consideration sooner rather than later because the B ranks may be seeing some changes and cleanup soon. Namely, the B ranks are very big now to the point where we might be splitting them up further into B and C ranks because it's a little tough to tell what the strength gap is in those ranks. In this scenario, the current C ranks will probably be renamed to D rank and the rank descriptions will be adjusted slightly, but more on that when that time comes.

With that out of the way, here are the votes. Not everyone gave explanations, but be warned that some of these are pretty long so the whole spreadsheet of votes is in the hide tag below. As always, if you think I missed something feel free to let me know!

Summary of Changes:
Celesteela drops from S to A+
Tapu Fini drops from S to A+
Zapdos rises from A+ to S
Nagandel drops from A+ to A
Glastrier drops from A+ to A
Lapras drops from A to B+
Snorlax drops from A- to B+
Raikou drops from A- to B+
Heatran drops from A to A-
Salamence drops from A to A-
Regieleki drops from A to A-
Moltres (Galar) drops from A to A-
Urshifu (Rapid Strike) rises from A- to A
Cresselia rises from B+ to A-
Urshifu (Single Strike) rises from B+ to A
Dracovish rises from B to A
Tyranitar rises from B to A-
Excadrill rises from B to B+
Rotom (Mow) drops from C to UR
Uxie rises from UR to C
Moltres rises from UR to C
Quagsire rises from UR to C
Ninetales (Alola) rises from UR to C+
Ferrothorn rises from A- to A
Toxapex rises from B+ to A-
Chansey rises from C to B-

Smogon UsernameCelesteela: Drop from S to A+Tapu Fini: Drop from S to A+Zapdos: Raise from A+ to SNaganadel: Drop from A+ to ANihilego: Drop from A+ to AGlastrier: Drop from A+ to A/A-/B+Metagross: Drop from A- to B+Lapras: Drop from A to B+ or lower?Snorlax: Drop from A- to B+ or lower?Raikou: Drop from A- to B+ or lower?Heatran: Drop from A to A-Dragonite: Drop from A to A-Salamence: Drop from A to A-Regieleki: Drop from A to A-Moltres (Galar): Drop from A to A-/B+Swampert: Raise from A- to AUrshifu (Rapid Strike): Raise from A- to AGarchomp: Raise from B+ to A-Cresselia: Raise from B+ to A-Urshifu (Single Strike): Raise from B+ to A/A-Dracovish: Raise from B to B+/A-/ASpectrier: Raise from B to B+/A-Tyranitar: Raise from B to B+/A-Excadrill: Raise from B to A-Mamoswine: Raise from B to B+/A-Zapdos (Galar): Raise from B- to BChansey: Raise from C to B-Rotom (Mow): Drop from C to URUxie: Rank from UR to CMoltres: Rank from UR to CQuagsire: Rank from UR to CNinetales (Alola): Rank from UR to C/C+/B-Tapu Bulu: Rank from UR to CFerrothorn: Raise from A- to AToxapex: Raise from B+ to A-
PsynergyA+A+SAA+AA-B+B+BA-A-A-A-B+A-AB+A-AABA-A-BB-B-CCCC+C+CAA-
marilliYes (A+)Yes (A+)Yes (S)Yes (A), or lower (A-) if possible. This thing is not better than Dragonite.Yes (A)Yes (A-)Yes (B+)Yes (B+)Yes (B)Yes (B)Yes (A-)Yes (A-)Yes (A-), more strongly about this than Dragonite.Yes (A-)Yes (B+)No (A-)Yes (A)No (B+)Yes (A-)Yes (A)Yes (A)No (B)Yes (B+)Yes but no (B+)No (B)No (B-)Yes (B-), my nomUh i really don't give a shitYes (C)Yes (C)Yes (C)Yes (C+)Yes (C)Yes (A), my nomYes (A-)
1tpDrop (A+ only, not to A thats too much for me atm in one slate)Drop A+Rise SDrop AKeep A+Drop A, could be swayed to A- but B+ is a joke for an absolute stat abuserDrop B+Drop B+Drop B+Drop B+Drop A-Drop A-Drop A-Drop A-Drop B+Drop B+Keep A-Keep B+Rise A-Rise to ARise to A-, I suspect pult will start bullying it quite soon so lets not get too out of hand with a full letter rise, if it stays its current viability A would make sense)Stay BRise A-Rise A-Stay B (could be swayed to B+)Stay B- or Drop to C+Rise to B-Drop to URKeep URRise to CRise to CRise B-Keep URSplit on this, I'll say A for nowRise A-
Greilmercenary9A+; Cele is a victim of its own success in many ways--one of these best mons when left unchecked, but it is both weak to other good mons in this meta and also dangerous enough that most meta teams are drastically overpreparing for itA+; Extremely effective and with just enough diversity to still catch an opponent off guard with sets like Scarf or tech moves. However, not quite in the same stratosphere as a couple of the other mons.S; Zapdos has adapted to the early Crown Tundra meta with a deftly adept expertise that I didn't expect from it going in; the offensive sets are great on their own, but the diversification of effective Zapdos sets and an effective matchup spread against most of the rest of the top 10 make it a top 3 mon for nowA; still very good but the early meta shifts have been a bit annoying for itA+; The undisputed winner in this generation's Meteor Beam sweepstakes, the Power Herb set is not only definitive for Nihi but makes it incredibly dangerous with a good enough speed tier and extremely strong special firepower. Also benefits from being one of the best answers to meta darling Zapdos.A; Glast is very strong--especially so in TR--but has issues in exploiting its stats to the fullest in this meta without a lot of support. Its matchup spread is fair but not super elite, which hurts it when using it out of TR, and TR support is back to S5 levels of annoying to setup in many cases in this meta.B+; I think Meta is a fair pick, but it suffers from some of the problems Glast does without having quite as intriguing of a matchup and stat spread. Also very much not helped by Cinderace, Zapdos, and Landorus being three of the four best mons (if not just the three best mons) in the meta.B+; power creep compared to S4 is a jerk... anyway, Resonance is still broken but Lapras as a overall mon is struggling more and more here, and it showsB+; Snorlax is still bulky and a huge annoyance, but while Custap offensive sets are potentially amusing with GMax Replenish, it otherwise struggles to break things down as effectively as before with the power creep of this series. Yawn shenanigans are also useful and it has a different matchup spread than Hippowdon, but McDonald's tends to be better at slowing down most of the meta's top threats and is also just generally better at the role to begin with.B+; Raikou is very interesting but it's usage is struggling a bit in early Season 13; being a naturally fast CM user is a great boon, but it's still slower than Cinderace and suffers in a general sense from teams being required to check Zapdos already.A-; I think this is a close one, but Tran has suffered somewhat in this meta with Naga starting to struggle a little, Mimikyu often running SE coverage for it that does a ton, Ace and Lando generally giving it major problems, and some old stuff that it used to beat no longer being troubled by its old Toxic sets. AV and Magma Storm sets are both still effective, but the lack of Toxic and issues with meta developments like P2 and Zap often being able to beat it now makes it a little iffy for full A IMO.A; *very* close call but Multiscale and insane coverage both help this, as does fair set versatility; probably the better dragon between it and Mence right nowA-; I think Mence right now is better in theory than in practice. It's still a huge threat, but being weak to Rocks is as frustrating as ever in a meta where two of the hyper elite mons are weak to them, and having to choose between Moxie snowballing potential and Intimidate support is annoying. Like with Raikou above though, it also suffers partly from teams already being required to check similar mons to it anyway, and while Wingbeat definitely helps matters by giving it more spammable STAB, it also has severe issues with matchup spread vs the top mons here.A-; The best screen setter in the meta IMO, but after that it comes with significant limitations. Offensive Eleki is still a fair threat in its own right and shouldn't be dimissed out of hand, but between Ground types ruining its day and Eleki dying to any reasonably strong attack there are limits to how far that can go.A; I think this is still one of the biggest surprises of the meta, and while people have learned to play around it, it's still surprisingly good IMO. It does suffer quite a bit from a bad matchup vs Zapdos and also some Zapdos checks, but it has a decent enough matchup spread against most other mons and the tools to take advantage of being sent out in a good spot.A-; Interesting Rocks + Yawn user with a different matchup spread than Hippo, but a bit less effective at it than McDonald's and also suffers from a bit more random Grass coverage floating around.A-; Ursh is really good but the matchup spread vs the top 10 isn't all sunshine and rainbows here, with it needing Scarf to beat an unboosted Ace, losing to Zap, issues with Fini, etc. However, it does carry strong offensive value, and guaranteed multi-hit crits are great, so this is a close one but still A- for now IMO.B+; On the fence with this one so either is fine with me; a little sketchy about this being B+ if Swamp is higher since Chomp itself has some tools to differentiate itself as an interesting Rocks lead, but for the moment I'll give Swamp benefit of the doubt due to Yawn + Flip Turn. As for Chomp, it still provides good offensive pressure and isn' a bad mon in general, but the matchup spread against the top mons is very rough and it struggles to stand out vs both Lando-T and the other top Dragon type threats.B+A-A; Vish has been resurrected by a new meta where it actually synergizes much better with the top mons (and has a much better matchup spread) than it ever has before; combine with the potential to also run surprise Sand Rush sets for profit.BB+; Dropped off quite a bit at the start of S7 but resurged once Zapdos answers became a premium resourceB+; I think Excadrill has some tools that help it navigate the new meta maybe better than we expected, but they take some digging to uncover. That said, a strong usage rate on very high ladder teams gives me optimism that this might eventually make it back to something like A- as the meta continues to develop.BB-B-URURCCCCA; This one takes some explanation, because it's a rare mon that can get easily torpedoed by the top two mons in the meta right now (as well as having major issues vs Cele, Ursh, etc), but thus are the times we live in. The resurrection of strong Vish viability has made carrying an answer for it vital, and Ferro also carries a positive matchup spread against most of the rest of the top 10 besides Ace and Zapdos. In a RPS triangle this is definitely the one that covers the problems that the top mons of the day might have, covering annoyances like Tapu Fini, Mimikyu (although Drain + Kee has made this harder), and so on, as well as having just enough moveset flexibility to call out counters with stuff like Iron Defense or Knock Off as well. IMO this mon is one that is hard to use right now but also carries a strong payoff if you can manage to do so effectively.A-; Very close but cushions are valuable right now, as are Ace answers, and is one of the most vital components of some bulky cycling cores
dwAA+SAA+A-A-BB+A-A-AA-AA-AAB+A-AABAB+B+BB-URCCCC+URAA-
TheorymonA+: Mainly because teams are really going hard into countering this mofo.A+: With the rise of Zapdos, I think Tapu Fini being A+ fits.S: Yes, this thing dominatesA: Sure, I think Naganadel was a bit overhyped again.A+: No, this still is really deadly.A: I think a drop to A is fine because Glastrier requires team support to really shine. It has a successful archetype around it though so I wouldn't drop it lower.A-: This isn't as good as Glastrier per se, but it also requires less support and is a good Dynamaxer still.B+: I think B+ fits the drop in usage and prominence with Zapdos around.B+, this thing has not recovered usage wise at all, and the strong fightng stab mons continue to stick around.B+: Probably a bit overhyped, but Scald is still incredible on an Eelctric-type so I wouldn't go any lower.A-: The rise of Dracovish really sucks for Heatran, and plenty of TTar run EQ too.A: This is still a great sweeper, especially now that special sets show it can diversify.A-: I think Salamence is worse than Dragonite atm, but its still a major sweeper!A-: I actually really love Regieleki as an offensive threat, but its hard to deny that it does compete with Zapdos. Dual Screens is still super lit tho even though its not used as much as offensive on cart now.A-: A- fits because its best with dual screens, but Moltres is still one hell of a Dynamax sweeper.A: It's a great alternative to Hippowdon, so I support!A: A- was sorta too harsh for this thing anyways, it's still one of the best offensive water-types around.A-: This might be a bit of a hot take with its slight drop in usage, but Scale Shot is super cool and gives it a nche over Landorus-T. I also appreciate that it doesn't get nuked by Nihilego compared to Landorus-T.A-: Cresselia is one of the best bulky CMers out there, and is a core part of Glastrier TR teams, so it deserves a raise!A-: I still think Urshifu-R is usually better, but I can't deny that Urshfu-S dunks Cresselia really hard which is currently wonderful.A-: Maybe a bit of a kneejerk reaction, but Dracovish has great match ups against a lot of threats atm, so I think it's at least worth A-. I'm fine with A too however.B: Spectrier has gotten even rarer recently. It could be good but unexplored, but I have yet to see anything indicating it can get over its well-known issues.A-: The 4x fighting weak suck hard atm, but Tyranitar is a great Zapdos and Galarian Moltres check right now, it deserves a big payraise for that!A-: With Tyranitar coming back up, Sand Rush Excadrill has shown that it's still pretty damn good even with Landorus-T waltzing around.B+: Mamoswine does have some serious issues against stuff such as Celesteela if it sticks with sash, but it smacks a lot of common mons hard so I think B+ fits.B-: I think people caught on this season that Galarian Zapdos isn't that great. It's usable for sure, but Zapdos is just plain better.B-: C is probably too harsh. Blissey is better in a lot of cases, but Chansey's better physical bulk can't be ignored imo.UR: Rotom-C has seen better days, I don't think it's a good fit on any team atm.C: It gets Yawn and Stealth Rock and good bulk, that's good enough for me to think it should be rated. It also gets neat stuff like Memento and U-turn!C: If we rank Charizard, I think we should rank Moltres imo.C: Sure, it can wall some stuff.B-: Alolan Ninetales is actually a decently used Dual Screener with some good niches.UR: I think what this provides over Rillaboom really sucks, not sure why people have been saying ts ok...A: With the rise of Dracovish, this is an easy raise.A-: Toxapex forms the backbone of stall teams, so I think its worth a raise.
twitch.tv/jakecantsayyes. mega strong early but now meta adjustedno. virtually no reason to not run this on every teamyes. extremely potent offense now complemented by set varianceno. insanely strongno. awesome power, great without needing to dmaxA. too reliant on trick room and dmax to be most effective, but REALLY good when done right.noB+ is bloated as hell but it does fit there better. being forced to max to be effective sucks in series 7usage has fallen off the planet. I think it's more viable than its usage shows but hard to justify adding to a team in the current climateI'm biased on this. great way to check zapdos, steela, fini etc.yeah maybe even morenot sure on this dropping yet. people moving on from overrated multiscale and trying out inner focus improves lando MUyeah maybe even more. I'd rather use gyarayeahnah no wayI think this makes sense to match current upwards trend. so annoying to faceI would say nounsurenahA-. I see it on par, maybe slightly better than water.I mean it's trending massively atm but I don't think it's more VIABLE. kind of a weird mon that just works atm, probably to piss off lead hippo/swamp and force cinderace users to max airstream asapI think this thing sucksB+ for nowB+ toocan we fit anymore in B+? might have to drop a bunch from thereI think this thing suckshaven't seen enough to commentwhy use this now?i mean.... sure?i guessyesB-abstainyeah. water types are everywhereA-

Last edited:
No Drifblim? Rats, it really has been working for me against physial attackers(Kartana, Exca, DNite, Landog often, Cinderace often, Mimikyu on their switch, Dracovish sometimes, Salamence, Pheromosa, Zapdos-g, Chomp, Blaziken, Gyara, Rillabloom, non-Dynamaxed Dragapult<or Dynamaxed but I'm faster,> Metagross, Blaziken, Urshifu RS, etc.) besides Urshifu SS and usually Mimikyu, and the odd special attacker w. Destiny Bond.

Many of the new drops help Drifblim namely Moltres-g, Celesteela, Fini, Regieleki, Raikou, Naganadel, and Heatran. I mean them dropping on here won't reduce their usage but it looks good.

It's a lot like g-Corsola, which is why I nominated it for C+ not just C. But unlike Corsola it can run BP and choose from Memento or Destiny Bond on the set I use. So maybe higher would eventually happen that'd be cool.

Last edited:
Was Hippo to S one of the things voted on? I'm surprised it didn't make it it's very strong. If I could remove one Pokemon from the game it would not be Zapdos, but Hippo. At least Swampert has the 4x grass weakness to go along w/ Yawn Rocks. Hippo is much harder to ohko, and even 2hkos are toughh w/ Sitrus and a 3hko means Hippo stats its cycle.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Was Hippo to S one of the things voted on? I'm surprised it didn't make it it's very strong. If I could remove one Pokemon from the game it would not be Zapdos, but Hippo. At least Swampert has the 4x grass weakness to go along w/ Yawn Rocks. Hippo is much harder to ohko, and even 2hkos are toughh w/ Sitrus and a 3hko means Hippo stats its cycle.
It was not. Hippo is too one dimensional for our definition of S tier, if anything, Hippo is closer to an A rank than A+. A+ is fine for now.

Oh right it is stuck to one thing at least. That's a good point, the S ranks have many things they can do, or at least a variety of attacks.

There are a few pokemon I've seen that have a moderate amount of usage and I'm wondering whether they would be worth adding to the rankings:

Arctozolt
Buzzwole
Gengar
Hatterene
Lucario
Slowking-Galar
Stakataka

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Slowking-G, Arctozolt, Stakataka, and Buzzwole are all probably worth adding in the current B-/C+ range. Slowking is the most viable of the bunch thanks to its high SpD and Regenerator, letting it cushion Zapdos, which lines up with it being the only Pokemon here to have 2 2100 finishes by two different persons. The other 3 still have decent niches. Arctozolt has fine matchup vs Zapdos and several meta threats despite being a weak POS. Stakataka has a niche as a hard hitting TR attacker that resist Airstream and set its own TR. Buzzwole has positive matchups against basically all the non-Airstream Physical Pokemon, including Urshifu, Rillaboom, Excadrill, etc.

All these facts line up with results. These all have 2-3 high ladder finishes, with at least 1 2100 finish. After the bloated B+/B tiers get sorted out, that might mean the other 3 might will fall into C+/C.

On the other hand, Lucario, Gengar, and Hatterene are all pretty bad. Lucario and Gengar demand Focus Sash to be viable and aren't particularly good users of it when Pokemon like Cinderace, Urshifu, Nagandel, Pheromosa, etc. are fighting for it. The problem with first two is they don't really have special niches to set them apart from straight-up better attackers. Hatterene at least has a bit of a niche with Magic Bounce but hasn't proven it being a good one, as most Trick Room teams forgo use of Hatterene for better Pokemon.

These Pokemon don't have results that convince me otherwise, either. Gengar has no high finishes, and Hatterene and Lucario each has 1, and the Lucario user doesn't think Lucario is actually that strong, just wanted to use it. They might be OK at current C. They might drop to C- or D, whatever the lowest tier is.

DerpySuX

I’ll encourage ya smile, I’d expect you don’t cry
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Nominating Spectrier to B+/A-

Honestly the more I use this thing the more I wonder why it’s so rare to see. It absolutely hammers so many things. The set I’ve become most fond of is

Spectrier @ choice scarf
Ability - Grim Neigh
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Shadow Ball
-Hyper Beam
-Mud Shot
-Will-O-Wisp

Spectrier’s shadow Ball is very powerful. Able to easily 2 hit KO a vast majority of the offensive metagame. This makes it an excellent cleaner once the opposing team has been chipped or otherwise weakened. Hyper Beam provides an incredibly powerful max strike for speed control, able to slow down threats and nullify opposing choice scarves. Mud Shot, while not very powerful itself, is just strong enough to OHKO standard offensive Nihilego, stopping any Meteor Beam sweeping. Of course, all of these are even more threatening when you consider that once Spectrier has grabbed a KO, it gets +1 special attack. Sending Spectrier in on a revenge kill can easily snowball into a sweep, and its speed tier means that you can also use choice specs if you want to be more directly offensive rather than snowballing from a revenge kill.
Will-O-Wisp rounds out the set, allowing Spectrier to sacrifice itself to cripple things like Urshifu if necessary, but more importantly it gives Spectrier a relatively safe move to throw around to help chip the opponent into range of its attacks.
Spectrier’s great speed tier makes it an excellent abuser of Dynamax. It doesn’t rely on its scarf and can afford to use your teams dynamax in a battle to bust some holes in the opposing team if need be, this can allow something else, like choice band Rillaboom, to clean up afterward.
Spectrier obviously isn’t the most “plug and play” Pokémon out there, it requires a very specific style of play to be most effective, but the rewards it brings to the skilled trainer are undeniable.
Calcs -
252 SpA Spectrier Max Quake vs. 82 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego: 220-260 (113.4 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Spectrier Max Phantasm vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Tapu Fini: 96-114 (54.5 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 SpA Spectrier Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dynamax Mimikyu: 212-252 (81.5 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (nearly garunteed kill after disguise is broken)

252 SpA Spectrier Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 90-106 (45.9 - 54%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Spectrier Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-Therian: 88-105 (53.6 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Spectrier Max Quake vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 102-120 (64.9 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Spectrier Max Phantasm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 90-106 (57.3 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)