Project Crown Tundra AG Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
why would you run Aerial Ace. It is Groudon only flying move. You already have to chose between ground stab, Fire coverage, Stealth rock, set-up , Dragon coverage, fighting coverage, iron head, Rock coverage, and electric coverage. That is a lot to choose from and doesn't leave room for aerial ace.
You run aerial ace to give Groudon max airstream, which is a way to efficiently use Dynamax to boost your speed. Without aerial ace, groundon becomes much less of a threat because most things simply just outspeed it and kill it.

Last edited:
why would you run Aerial Ace. It is Groudon only flying move. You already have to chose between ground stab, Fire coverage, Stealth rock, set-up , Dragon coverage, fighting coverage, iron head, Rock coverage, and electric coverage. That is a lot to choose from and doesn't leave room for aerial ace.
sd edgequake ace
flying (aerial ace has proven to be the best for general dynamaxers and you can use mons like necrodm to cover
(idk how good building for a dynamaxer is but electric, fighting, and sr arent supe duper needed)

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
A few of us decided to do a little bit of playtesting with the metagame we know so far (obviously missing potentially huge additions and changes), and my initial assumptions are that I have absolutely no clue what's going on. I expect, based on prior assumptions, and the very very limited play we've had so far, that this metagame will be much more focused on offense than our prior NatDex format. A lot of this comes down to the lack of defensive answers for Pokemon such as Yveltal and Zygarde (which may come in the DLC but are currently unannounced). For anyone who wants to replicate the format, just load up a team in "[Gen 8] Custom Game". Thank you to Geysers, Bread Sandwich, pichus, Zayele and a few others for the games.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8customgame-1200762995
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8customgame-1200812992
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8customgame-1200816921
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8customgame-1200820991
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8customgame-1200822731
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8customgame-1200839993-3n70rtj0gtone8ap6b3z719pwumotg8pw

Very very premature impressions I have are:
As I said earlier the metagame seems far more offensive than National Dex AG, it's a lot more difficult to find defensive counterplay for common Pokemon, without the help of defensive Arceus formes. Yveltal seems as potent as ever mainly. I'm sure you could justify defensive archetypes, but overall it seems like a much more offensive metagame.

A few Pokemon opinions.
:tapu-koko: This is very good, I've been running Choice Specs mainly, which nets an OHKO on pretty much any unresisted hit. Even stuff like SpDef Tyranitar got 2HKOd on the switchin. Other terrains can be used to deem it useless, but it's really difficult to see how useful these will be.
:tapu-lele: This is also quite good, but not as powerful as Tapu Koko, I can see Choice Scarf sets maybe being used. Being walled by Necrozma-DM is pretty substantial weakness, but potentially something like Tapu Lele + Gothitelle to trap DM could be nice if this Pokemon were to take off.
:tapu-bulu: I had a few games against Geysers where he brought Rain and then a few with Sand, Tapu Bulu really likes these matchups, such a strong super-effective priority attack. There's also a notable lack of switch-ins for its coverage. I genuinely think this will see substantial usage in the finished metagame.
:tornadus: Strong, highly ditto-able, but in an offensive meta it's hard to know if it will get apt set up opportunities. It's really frail, and I think I'd rather run Yveltal.
:excadrill: Sand seems very strong from my first impressions, it's so odd to have weather in an AG format.
:tyranitar: TTar seems rly strong in this format, with a substantial lack of Yveltal and Eternatus checks. Also much less SR setters without Arceus.

Here's a few bad teams if you want to play against your friends.
:tapu-koko::ho-oh::necrozma-dusk-mane::tornadus::tapu-bulu::chansey:
:tapu-bulu::magnezone::reshiram::tyranitar::chansey::excadrill:

I'm really interested to see how the new Pokemon we're yet to see will impact the metagame, but for now all we can do is wait impatiently. This is a fun little way to test out what we know so far, while providing enjoyment until the DLC. Only 12 days left, it should be fun!

Expanding on my point.
:shedinja: :xerneas: check, :kyogre: check, but flips over to a lot, including but not limited to :necrozma-dusk-mane: :groudon: :ho-oh:, all statuses and hazards without HDB, I think this could be decent in stall.
:tapu-bulu: I see it hovering around B-ish, but low speed could make it :zacian-crowned: or :groudon: bait, still though a high step up.
:rillaboom: Worse tapu. Less coverage and less firepower.
:tyranitar: :yveltal: SAVE US TTAR PLEASE. I see more AV/Lefties sets coming up.
:mewtwo: Loss of :arceus: benefits Mewtwo, NP, Hurricane, and strong Psychic STAB that rips apart stall.
:giratina: This will likely be a stall staple, fogging away rocks and burning :necrozma-dusk-mane:

Last edited:

Charizard: This will be more viable with Groudon coming back. Before you had to use Torkoal or manual weather to abuse it's Solar Power. This hits much harder than Yveltal could dream of if you can Dynamax with the sun up so it will be have it's place on certain sun teams for sure.

Dracovish with Sand Rush will be really nice for sand teams. Can't wait to try that out. It´s pretty anti opposing weather because Kyogre and Groudon cannot switch into it.

Rayquaza: Don´t know how well SD + Dynamax will be since it require yous to stay in base for 1 turn. If you have Memento support or Screens this will have a much easier time setting up. Dmax Ray definitely won't be as good as it's Mega form.

Salamence: Could snowball late game with Scarf/Band + Moxie + Dynamax. I´ve tried it before and it did pretty well.

Dugtrio: Good for trapping Ttar and weakened threats. Memento support for it's teammates and Stealth Rock support will land it a spot on some teams for sure.

Yvetal: Back to being the most dangerous Pokemon in the tier probably. Ttar, Diancie, and maybe Magearna will come rushing like an ambulance to take it on.

Zacian C: Doesn't have to worry about Primal Groudon and Arceus anymore. Quagsire can check it but has to watch out for Solar Blade on Sun. Will be even more dangerous than before.

Xerneas: Deadlier than before with the loss of Arceus and Primal Groudon. Moonblast + Thunder is all it really needs for coverage.

Palkia: Back to take on Kyogre but the lack of recovery will probably make some people use Water Absorbers instead like Gastrodon.

Kyogre: Back to being a top 3 mon. Those Water Spouts will hurt.

Will edit post to include more mons later.

Why are you running electric moves, dragon moves, and iron head on groudon?

Some deep speculation into the meta.
The state of HO in Tundra AG
:klefki:
Klefki might sound odd, but Dualscreens, Prankster and Spikes, can really make it a decent replacement to :deoxys-speed:
:grimmsnarl:
Another prankster mon. Grimm can setup screens, and taunt the opponent, something :klefki: cannot.
Who benefits?
:necrozma-dusk-mane: Dual screens, Prisim Armor, DD, and a lucrative weakness policy, combined with a very strong attack, makes this thing a beast.
:groudon: Regdon's natural bulk and sheer power allows it to safely setup SD and clean through any non :tapu-bulu: :kyogre: team.
:zacian-crowned: Natural bulk and SD is insane with this beast of the meta. Zacian will be insane.
:yveltal: AAAAAAAAAA do i even need to explain. Yveltal already has a good HP, and with screens, its sheer power and unwillingness to die, lets it thrive.
:kyogre: Screens and Water Spout are nukes.
The state of stall in Tundra AG.
Stall is suffering. Yveltal has barely any counters and is everywhere.
:tyranitar: Ttar, yvel check and decent rocker. Tyranitar walls non Steel-Wing Yveltal, and is pretty decent against :yveltal:
:chansey: Another :yveltal: softcheck. Chansey shits on nearly all special attackers and is a :xerneas: check even though it gained nice physical moves.
:necrozma-dusk-mane: This thing can fill EVERYTHING. Rocker, lighter, the best defensive wall, now furthered by :groudon: now being Ground, and :ho-oh: not investing much attack, but it's typing is it's achilies heel in a way. Yveltal can come in for free and proced to punch a massive hole.
:quagsire: Hazer and great check to :zacian-crowned: and :necrozma-dusk-mane:
Honorable Mention:
:shedinja: :kyogre: hardcheck is nothing to sneeze at. As well as ruining :xerneas: plans to breathe air. :tyranitar: :necrozma-dusk-mane: are everywhere though now, so maybe it won't be as dominant.

Probably Unviable:

:aerodactyl: Aerodactyl
TRs/TMs: Rock Blast, Dragon Dance, Hurricane, Psychic Fangs
IoA Tutor: Dual Wingbeat, Meteor Beam

:heatran: Heatran
TRs/TMs: Self-Destruct, Body Slam, Heavy Slam, Heat Crash, Body Press
IoA Tutor: Burning Jealousy, Scorching Sands, Steel Roller

:nidoqueen:Nidoqueen
TRs/TMs: Sand Tomb, Mud Shot, Rock Blast, Hex, High Horsepower, Body Press
IoA Tutor: Scorching Sands

:zapdos: Zapdos
TRs/TMs: Hail, Weather Ball, Eerie Impulse, Air Slash, Brave Bird, Hurricane
IoA Tutor: Rising Voltage, Dual Wingbeat
Errrr... I'm afraid that Aerodractyl can now abuse its newly Dragon Dance as well as tear through Focus Sash users with its new multi-hit STAB moves and, having now the chance to get its hands on Heavy Duty Boots, it will care less when going airborne into Stealth Rock.
Heatran got a Ground-type Scald and a STAB that automatically punishes anyone trying to setup stats physically, aside of that, Heatran is already fearsome at the point of having Magearna and Volcarona forced to carry a specific coverage move in NationalDex tier just because of Heatran.
Nidoqueen might be indeed less viable when compared to Ubermons, however, on other tiers like UU, Doubles or even OU, it gets the new tools it needed: Body Press, a STAB Ground-type Scald and Hex. Nidoking can unironically also run the latter two offensively to punish its opponents attempting to switch-in freely (other than... *AHEM!*... Flying-types), but loses a bit of firepower as it cannot have Sheer Force which would otherwise nullify the Burn chance.
Zapdos gets Hurricane and, with Heavy Duty Boots, you have an optimal Defogger otherwise. I'm afraid that Zapdos will probably leave a huge influence on OU at least.

On a side note, it is needless to say that these guys:archeops::regigigas: are most likely getting banned from Doubles formats due to their abusive potential of synergizing with Neutralizing Gas. Speaking of Archeops, it might become too much of a rampage to keep this thing in NU as, due to now having Heavy Duty Boots, special STAB and STAB multi-hit moves to break through Focus Sash, it will leave pretty big holes in the tier.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Errrr... I'm afraid that Aerodractyl can now abuse its newly Dragon Dance as well as tear through Focus Sash users with its new multi-hit STAB moves and, having now the chance to get its hands on Heavy Duty Boots, it will care less when going airborne into Stealth Rock.
Heatran got a Ground-type Scald and a STAB that automatically punishes anyone trying to setup stats physically, aside of that, Heatran is already fearsome at the point of having Magearna and Volcarona forced to carry a specific coverage move in NationalDex tier just because of Heatran.
Nidoqueen might be indeed less viable when compared to Ubermons, however, on other tiers like UU, Doubles or even OU, it gets the new tools it needed: Body Press, a STAB Ground-type Scald and Hex. Nidoking can unironically also run the latter two offensively to punish its opponents attempting to switch-in freely (other than... *AHEM!*... Flying-types), but loses a bit of firepower as it cannot have Sheer Force which would otherwise nullify the Burn chance.
Zapdos gets Hurricane and, with Heavy Duty Boots, you have an optimal Defogger otherwise. I'm afraid that Zapdos will probably leave a huge influence on OU at least.

On a side note, it is needless to say that these guys:archeops::regigigas: are most likely getting banned from Doubles formats due to their abusive potential of synergizing with Neutralizing Gas. Speaking of Archeops, it might become too much of a rampage to keep this thing in NU as, due to now having Heavy Duty Boots, special STAB and STAB multi-hit moves to break through Focus Sash, it will leave pretty big holes in the tier.
Uh, this is an AG thread. Sure these Pokemon might be good in OU, but they're listed as probably unviable - because in AG, they probably will be. Please keep other tier speculation to their respective forums' similar threads.

Soooo I've been doing quite a bit of Speculation about a few team ideas but one always stood out to me because it was so interesting and fun, now this may sound strange but what I'm about to say is true Gravity is a very formidable theme for a team. Now just like Trick Room it suffers in the landscape of NatDex AG due to the fact that there are too many wallbreakers and unpredictable outcomes common wallbreakers such as Zacian-Crowned, Mega Ray, Primal Don, Ygod etc. Spell Game Over for most Trick Room and Gravity teams alike. Why am I comparing Trick Room to Gravity? Well the answer is quite simple in NatDex AG your most reliable Trick Room/Gravity Setter is Necrozma-Dusk-Mane due to his high bulk and longevity, now NDM isn't exactly a Stranger to any VIABLE team in NatDex AG. This also means that Necrozma-dusk-mane has many enemies such as the as for mentioned Ygod (Yveltal) the combination of dark/flying STAB and Dark Aura poses a huge threat to Gravity and Trick Room teams alike due to the fact that Trick Room and Gravity must always spend a turn setting up leaving Ygod unchecked for at least 1 turn guaranteed, not too mention Taunt is extremely lethal to any Gravity team as it severely cripples the damage output of what gravity teams try to do which is take advantage of high base power moves with shaky accuracy and turning them into super accurate cannons that can breaks holes in even the bulkiest of teams, as for how Gravity would impact the upcoming Galar AG format I'm Confident that Gravity can become viable due to specific setters returning like Palkia, Palkia is good on both trick room and gravity due to it's bulk granted it's not as bulky as Necrozma-dusk-mane but thats a hard benchmark to surpass. So let's look at what Palkia offers to Gravity that it so lacked in NatDex AG a reliable setter besides NDM. Palkia also gives Gravity a strong Water Stab that it desperately needed to counteract some walls that posed a threat, now I know what you're thinking why not use Kyogre and the answer is simply Kyogre doesn't learn Gravity. Trust me I've tried and it would have been awesome. Now it's true that you can use any mon in NatDex but that doesn't mean they can function as reliably as they could in a limited format as compared to an unlimited format. Gravity has always intrigued me and I've had some success with it in past gens but I cannot seem to get it functioning as intended with the unlimited format of NatDex AG I fully intend to abuse Gravity in the upcoming format and hope to see others experiment with it as I will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)