Cresselia (QC 1/2)

NinjaSnapple

Hero in a half shell
is a Tiering Contributor
[OVERVIEW]

Cresselia has a valuable niche in the DOU metagame as both a bulky Trick Room setter and Calm Mind sweeper. Cresselia's extremely high natural bulk and access to reliable recovery alows it consistently switch in against many of the tiers strongest attackers such as Landorus and Naganadel and set up Trick Room for its allies as well as give it opportunities to set up Calm Mind. Cresselia's Calm Mind set, due to it's aforementioned bulk is able break through teams at are not properly equipped to handle it. The Calm Mind set is however quite vunerable to being shut down by Toxic due to how long it can Cresselia to accrue the boosts required to actually threaten the opposing team. Furthermore, there are other set up sweepers suck as Zygarde and Kyurem-Black who have a more immediate offensive presence. Stakataka and Volcanion are good teammates for Cresselia on Trick Room teams as they appreciate Cresselia setting Trick Room for them as well as it being able to check Landorus and Zygarde. Urshifu pairs up well with Cresselia's Calm Mind set as it is able to beat the Pokemon that Cresselia is unable to break through while also making up for its immediate passivity. Unfortunately Cresselia suffers from a lack of immediate offensive presence due to its meagre Special Attack Stat meaning it requires multiple Calm Mind boosts before it can deal any significant damage. Cresseila also faces competition from Porygon2 as a bulky Trick Room setter, who unlike Cresselia, can provide immediate offensive pressure thanks to its ability Download and a considerably higher Special Attack stat. Though in exchange for offensive pressure, Cresselia is able to set up Trick Room much more reliably against Urshifu-R.

[SET]
name: Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Moonlight
move 4: Toxic
item: Safety Goggles
ability: Levitate
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

* Cresselia uses Trick Room to support itself and its teammates by turning their low Speed to their advantage.

* Ice Beam is a good coverage move that allows Cresseila to hit Landorus-I and Zygarde for significant damage. Though it is otherwise ineffective due to Cresselia's low Special Attack.

* Moonlight allows Cresselia to increase it's longevity and set up Trick Room multiple times throughout the game.

* Toxic allows Cresseila to effectively stall other Pokemon in conjunction with Moonlight.

* Safety Goggles eliminates one of the most common counterplay options to Trick Room as it makes Cresselia immune to Spore.

* 184 Defence allows Cresselia to survive two Surging Strikes from Choice Band Urshifu-R. the remaining EVs are put into boosting its Special Defense.

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Icy Wind / Ice Beam
move 4: Moonlight
item: Electric Seed / Grassy Seed
ability: Levitate
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

* Cresselia uses Calm Mind to counteract it's low special attack and increase it's already very high Special Defence to turn it into a dangerous setup sweeper that is difficult to remove. In conjunction with Moonlight Cresselia can become near impossible to KO

*Psychic is Cresselia's only STAB move and acts as a way for it to deal damage to targets that resist Ice beam such as Urshifu-R which it can OHKO after a boost.

* Ice Beam and Icy wave are good coverage moves that allow Cresseila to OHKO Landorus-I and Zygarde after a boost.

Grassy and Electric seed help boost Cresselia's longevity by boosting its Defence.

* 184 Defence allows Cresselia to survive two Surging Strikes from Choice Band Urshifu-R. the remaining EVs are put into boosting its Special Defense.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mental Herb makes the most common counterplay to Trick room, Taunt useless for one turn which can potentially make setting it up easier,
and Expert Belt allows Cresselia to OHKO Lando-I with Ice Beam and OHKO Urshifu with Psychic. Sitrus Berry gives Cressila more longevity but these items do leave Cresselia susceptible to Spore and Sleep powder. 184 Defence allows Cresselia to survive two Surging Strikes from Urshifu-R.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[username1, userid1]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Last edited:

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
gm

[OVERVIEW]
  • "access to reliable" I assume you forgot to add recovery here.
  • I wouldn't say it really checks Diancie all that well, so I'd try to find something else to put here.
  • Instead of just Trick Room, I'd also mention how those Pokemon (Landorus in particular) also give opportunities to set up Calm Mind because that's one of the main draws of the set.
  • Don't mention the exact stat for Cresselia's SpA, just say mediocre or something.
  • Emphasize how Porygon2 provides immediate offensive pressure instead of just offensive pressure.
  • No teammates here! SMH! For real though, since i assume you needed advice on this part specifically, I'd suggest Stakataka (appreciates Cresselia setting Trick Room and checking Landorus and Zygarde for it) and Urshifu-R (easily beats the fires that annoy Cresselia, as well as making up for its immediate passivity). I think it's good to clarify the set for each of those teammates, because I wouldn't run Stakataka with Calm Mind as often as I would Trick Room, for example. I would like maybe 1 or 2 more teammates for this other than the two I listed but it's ultimately up to you.
[SET COMMENTS]
  • Don't forget the * in front of each point!
  • Instead of super-effective damage just say how it deals significant damage
  • Wouldn't describe as threaten because of how long it takes for toxic to set in.
  • Calm Mind also raises special defense, so be sure to mention that!
  • Remember to reference the item and EV spread in a line
  • Condense both Other Options sections

ping me wherever when you get around to this

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
ngl I lost track of time with this lmao

[OVERVIEW]
  • don't forget the [OVERVIEW] at the top of the analysis
  • I'd say how it can set up either trick room or calm mind instead of "set up trick room for blah blah blah.... or calm mind"
  • I'd mention how Cresselia is able to set up trick room more reliably against Urshifu-R than P2 somewhere in exchange for offensive pressure (probs in the last line about p2)
[SET COMMENTS]
  • Trick Room one looks fine, you can probably condense the Psychic and Ice Beam lines into one since they're so similar.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • Reminder these need to all be in one paragraph.
  • Mention the Defense Seeds

GP issues but im planning to AM check this myself after the 2nd check so not gonna worry about it lol

1/2
dnagerbdager.gif

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
[OVERVIEW]
  • "bale check" should be 'able to check'.
  • Referring to Heatran as part of "Fire and Dark type Pokemon" is a bit weird since just a Fire-type isn't a problem for Cresselia, it's that it resists Psychic as well. I'd say you can just remove it since the "[Pokemon] that it is unable to break through" covers it well enough already.
  • Mention Calm Mind's vulnerability to being shut down by Toxic and other setup Pokemon being better.
  • I'd mention Porygon2's higher Special Attack (105 vs 75) rather than its coverage, since Cresselia does also have Ice Beam.
[SET COMMENTS]
  • On the Calm Mind set, mention that Ice Beam is otherwise ineffective due to Cresselia's low Special Attack.
  • I think the phrasing of "consistently set up Trick Room throughout the game" is a little obtuse, I'd directly mention setting Trick Room multiple times.
  • Dragon Dance Kyurem-B isn't the best mention for Toxic when Trick Room already deals with that. Remove that part and instead mention stalling out Pokemon in conjunction with Moonlight.
  • The EV spread point isn't complete; you should specify its Choice Band Urshifu-R, and add that the remaining EVs are put into boosting its Special Defense.
  • You still need to have points for the EV spread and item of the second set even if it's the same as the first. On that point though, make the set item for Calm Mind Electric Seed / Grassy Seed since that's what it has been used with.
  • Combine Moonlight into the Calm Mind point, and mention that with the combination Cresselia can become near impossible to KO.
  • Make the Ice-type move Icy Wind / Ice Beam since Icy Wind is what fespy had when it was used, and make Psychic into its own separate point coming first. In the point you should mention both Icy Wind and Ice Beam then, to be clear.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • This section should be written in prose rather than bullet points (similar to the Overview).
  • Remove the EV spread and Electric Seed / Grassy Seed mentions.
  • You can condense the item options, especially the repeated "but you do lose out on the useful utility provided by other items" part, possiblly even all into a single sentence. For the losing utility part, just have the single mention on the end of "though this these does leave Cresselia susceptible to Spore and Sleep powder".
Tag once implemented so I can check over.

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
[OVERVIEW]
  • "Cresselia has a valuable niche in the DOU metagame as both a bulky Trick Room setter and Calm Mind sweeper." - remove "both" and change "and" to 'or' to make it clearer those are different sets.
  • "is able to break through" isn't the right choice of words since Calm Mind works defensively rather than offensively, change it to 'is an effective win condition against'.
  • When I said to mention other setup Pokemon I was meaning moreso other bulky setup (Cosmic Power Metagross and Demon Mew) since they do a more similar thing.
  • "Stakataka and Volcanion are good teammates for Cresselia on Trick Room teams as they appreciate Cresselia setting Trick Room for them as well as it being able to check Landorus and Zygarde." - change "Cresselia on Trick Room teams" to 'Trick Room Cresselia' and "appreciate Cresselia setting Trick Room for them" to 'appreciate Trick Room' and move the "for them" to the end of the sentence.
  • Mention the Pokemon that Urshifu-R helps Cresselia break through (I think you misunderstood me before and removed the mentions entirely).
[SET COMMENTS]
  • The Psychic point is weird, remove the STAB and Ice Beam resist parts and instead say it is Cresselia's primary attack, but weak without boosts (keep the Urshifu-R part).
  • Icy Wind and Ice Beam should be two separate sentences in that point (Icy Wind first since main slash). Icy Wind should mention speed control, also +1 Ice Beam is only a 31% roll on Zygarde so I'd remove that (but keep the Landorus-I mention).
  • Format the Seed point correctly, also add 'when paired with Tapu Koko or Rillaboom respectively' on the end. When you explain what seed does you should reference how it covers the side unboosted by Calm Mind somehow.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • The Mental Herb point can be condensed more to something like 'Mental Herb provides Taunt immunity'. You should structure this section with the first sentence covering Mental Herb and Sitrus Berry, explaining that they help set Trick Room. The second sentence can then cover Expert Belt and the drawback of using these alternative items.
  • Remove the EV spread sentence.
Also, remember to fill in the credits, IDs are the numbers in the URL when on someone's profile (e.g. yours is 552611)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)