Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think that, even if the choice scarf set is maybe better to counter some threats of the metagame, a shift gear set is never seen on genesect; i don't know why because it is an awesome boosting move and genesect is one of the few pokemon that has access to it. i'm not saying this because i've seen this set used effectively but i'm only wondering why is never seen used with three physical moves like iron head, x-scissor, extreme speed. i think that this set would be really good because it is also unexpected but i want to know what do you guys think.
I think it's not really used not because Shift Gear Genesect is bad or anything like that, but rather because there are simply more powerful setup sweepers who perform the role better. Granted, Shift Gear is a great setup move, but there are better out there, while Genesect fits the role of "relatively fast Scarfer/scout with great coverage on both ends of the Physical-Special spectrum and U-turn" much more.

A somewhat creative set I've come up with and used to decent success that I've never seen before is Rest Tentacruel with heal bell support. Tentacruel is still a fantastic spinner this gen despite the loss of rain dish + perma rain. It still has a great typing typing that lets it check new threats such as Talonflame, Mega Lucario, and the new water/fairy Azumarill, alongside old threats such as Keldeo while removing hazards from your side of the field. The only problem with it is that it's easy to wear down, especially with burns. Rest alleviates this problem and lets you spin on mons that normally wear you down after a few switch ins, such as Heatran (without earth power) and Chansey/Blissey.

With Tentacruel's good resistances, bulk, and speed, it usually isn't too hard to find a time to rest up if you need to. Of course this makes you set up fodder, but similarly, it usually isn't too hard to find an opportunity to heal bell with a bulky cleric such as Clefable, Togekiss, or Sylveon. With sleep turns not resetting anymore you can also use safe switch ins to burn sleep turns too, but that should generally only be used as a last resort and only if you know your opponent can't do anything productive with that free turn. The extra longevity has won me many matches where I desperately needed Tentacruel to check things or spin, and rest let me shrug off all of the hazard, burn, and chip damage I was taking and let me do so. I think it's totally viable and underrated, but since it requires cleric support I can see why it's not really used.

Here's a replay of me using it against a stallish team: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-76968748

It's not really a great example of how it can be used effectively, but it at least shows that with rest I can afford to play a lot more ballsy with my Tentacruel and switch it in more often without fear of it being worn down. Resting after being burned the first time was probably a misplay, but I just stayed in that turn to scout out what my opponent wanted to do. I figured attacking it would be futile but resting at nearly full wasn't exactly the best play either. Without rest though I wouldn't have been able to spin at all that game due to the burn (though I wouldn't have been able to anyway if my opponent kept his Trevenant at a higher amount of health).

I've also seen rest Heatran on the ladder before, and it basically functions the same except that it's not a spinner and it's not worn down by status. I'm sure that's viable too, but since Heatran is immune to toxic and burn and already suffers from 4mss (Tentacruel doesn't really), so it would probably appreciate wish support just as much if not more.

Also this really isn't new or creative but quad stab Bisharp (knock off/pursuit/sucker punch/iron head) is awesome and fun to use, and pairs well with scarf Terrakion. It's really funny when I reveal two of the dark type STABs and my opponent doesn't think I have the third.

This is probably under the shitty gimmick category, but I've swept teams with it, so it has to be viable.

Gothitelle@ choice scarf
-trick
-calm mind
-phychic
-signal beam

lead with it, probably switch it out on the first turn. Predict when the opponent will use a setup move and trick. You can free +6 SpA and SpD, and have fun.
I use a similar set but I use:

-trick
-reflect
-light screen
-psychic

you still lead with it, but if you get a target which you dont want to trick a scarf onto then you can at least set up a screen before you switch.
also most good players wont use a non-attack vs gothitelle when they get trapped, so with screens you can at least set up an ally to sub when they take an ultra-weak attack from a support mon through a reflect/light screen. Half the time having a good pokemon behind a sub is 50x better than +6/+6 gothitelle tbh lol considering how slow it is and shitty def.

I have a semi-decent set for chesnaught. It suprisingly works and has helped me win MANY rounds!

Chesnaught w/Assault Vest
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Low Sweep
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

Assault Vest makes him solid both on physical AND special defensive side. This set is just meant to be anti sweeper, especially with low sweep. It only has problems with talonflame, but that isn't a huge problem with team support. I got a triple kill once with this set once :D

Aegislash @ Red Card
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

You come in unharmed, either on an immunity, after a KO or off a slower Volt-Turn and start boosting, since Aegislash is so good at forcing switches just by being there. Wait for the opponent to call first blood with their team's answer to Aegislash (obviously don't stay in if they're going to kill you in one hit, and under no circumstances get yourself burned either), then enjoy the benefits of the Red Card as it buys you even more time to boost to (hopefully) unstoppable levels or get a free hit with your >800 Attack stat as the opponent attempts to send in their Aegislash check against a much harder Aegislash to switch back into. Even better if you've got hazards. Can be used at any point in the game to blow a hole in your opponent's team or go for an ambitious sweep. If you use it right, you won't be disappointed.

EDIT: Here's a replay of a completely different set. It's quite situational, but extremely effective when that situation comes up. I'll post the full set if you're interested, but up until this replay it hasn't really paid off because people have been leading with weird and wonderful stuff instead of U-turn. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-77174993

Last edited:
Aegislash @ Red Card
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

You come in unharmed, either on an immunity, after a KO or off a slower Volt-Turn and start boosting, since Aegislash is so good at forcing switches just by being there. Wait for the opponent to call first blood with their team's answer to Aegislash (obviously don't stay in if they're going to kill you in one hit, and under no circumstances get yourself burned either), then enjoy the benefits of the Red Card as it buys you even more time to boost to (hopefully) unstoppable levels or get a free hit with your >800 Attack stat as the opponent attempts to send in their Aegislash check against a much harder Aegislash to switch back into. Even better if you've got hazards. Can be used at any point in the game to blow a hole in your opponent's team or go for an ambitious sweep. If you use it right, you won't be disappointed.

EDIT: Here's a replay of a completely different set. It's quite situational, but extremely effective when that situation comes up. I'll post the full set if you're interested, but up until this replay it hasn't really paid off because people have been leading with weird and wonderful stuff instead of U-turn. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-77174993
I feel like Weakness Policy would be a better item because it has a similar purpose but also let's you boost your special attack and run a mixed set if wanted.

Hey guys been trying this set on showdown and over wifi, seems pretty good and is incredibly uncommon.... Jirachi anyone?

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability : Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 sp(a/d)
Nature: Mild/Adamant
- Thunder Wave
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball/ ThunderPunch

Ok so instead of your traditional twave iron head, I use a twave Zen headbutt combo with Meteor Mash and I know Z.Headbutts power and flinch chance is lower, but in combination with meteor mash jirachi can become a boosting tank as meteor mash has a 40% to raise attack by +1 with serene grace and when combined with Jirachis decent bulk, Leftovers and paralysis hax it can become very threatening very quickly. Thunderbolt gets almost complete neutral coverage with the other moves as well as catching pokes like skarmory off guard, Shadow Ball also gets a mention for its also excellent coverage with the other moves and the 40% SpDef drop and tPunch is for the dedicated physical set and gets a mention for similar reasons to Tbolt.

Here's a really good set I've been playing around with on Showdown:

Talonflame @ Liechi Berry
Gale Wings
232 HP/ 242 Att/ 24 Sp def (or 192 HP/ 252 Att/ 64 Speed if running Flare Blitz)
Adamant
-Bulk Up/Swords Dance
-Acrobatics/Brave Bird
-Roost/Flare Blitz
-Natural Gift

If using Bulk Up, I recommend also running Acrobatics, Roost, and the first EV spread. The premise of this set is that XY made a change in Natural Gift mechanics. Liechi Berry now yields a 100 BP Grass move instead of only 80 base power. It also means that after a single Bulk Up, TF does a minimum of 88% to 252/252 bold Rotom-W, with a 33% to KO (100% after Stealth Rock damage). That's huge. Furthermore, say your opponent doesn't have Rotom-W, Liechi is still useful because at under 25% health, you gain a +1 Attack boost, you can priority Roost off the damage, and now you've got a 110 Base Power Acrobatics.

Yeah, pretty sure once this gets some attention, it will be one of the go-to Talonflame set, because let's face it, Rotom-W is on every team and is probably TF's most used counter.

This is probably under the shitty gimmick category, but I've swept teams with it, so it has to be viable.

Gothitelle@ choice scarf
-trick
-calm mind
-phychic
-signal beam

lead with it, probably switch it out on the first turn. Predict when the opponent will use a setup move and trick. You can free +6 SpA and SpD, and have fun.
Unsure if you've considered trying this, but after you've set up your CMs you could trick the scarf back onto yourself before blowing the opposing team to bits. You'd have to lock into one of your attacks but it'd help out Gothitelle's speed issues.

Deoxys-S @ Life Orb

236 speed / 252 special attack / 16 attack

-Psycho Boost
-Superpower
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power Fire

I know this is in the main Deoxys-S thread, but seriously this set would be underrated if it was on half of all offensive teams, it's that good.
Some fun stuff:
-Lead vs any team with Genesect - Genesect will be the lead, it will try to u-turn, you will outspeed it, you will use HP Fire, it will die. I've never had to deal with a genesect because of this.
-Outspeed any scarf/dragon dancer up to and including 102 base speed. Notably scarf garchomp, the aforementioned scarf genesect, and DD Mega Charizard X.
-OHKO Tyranitar with Superpower
-Psycho Boost does about 75% to a physically defensive Rotom-W.

Use it. You will never EVER be disappointed.

I feel like Weakness Policy would be a better item because it has a similar purpose but also let's you boost your special attack and run a mixed set if wanted.
I think the one advantage of the Red Card is that it works no matter the effectiveness of the move (as long as it hits). Weakness Policy requires a move to be super-effective, and that can often leave a huge dent in Aegislash. Of course, on the flip side, if your opponent is switching in an Aegislash check/counter, it's more than likely that they'll use something super-effective anyway, so maybe Weakness Policy is the better option. Just food for thought.

Long have I looked for a fast (or at least decently fast) Pokemon that could learn Defog/Rapid Spin + Stealth Rock + Taunt + Knock Off, and now I've found it. I present: SupportScor.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Jolly 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
-Taunt
-Defog
-Stealth Rock
-Knock Off

This set performs so many functions and brings key immunities to any team. It's a Stallbreaker, Hazard Remover, Hazard Support, Status Absorber, and potentially much more as it can even stop any set-up Pokemon that's slower than it (pretty much any bulky set-up sweeper). It has key immunities to Electric and Ground while also resisting Fighting and Bug, making it a good asset to absorb the Volt Turn combo.

Long have I looked for a fast (or at least decently fast) Pokemon that could learn Defog/Rapid Spin + Stealth Rock + Taunt + Knock Off, and now I've found it. I present: SupportScor.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Jolly 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
-Taunt
-Defog
-Stealth Rock
-Knock Off

This set performs so many functions and brings key immunities to any team. It's a Stallbreaker, Hazard Remover, Hazard Support, Status Absorber, and potentially much more as it can even stop any set-up Pokemon that's slower than it (pretty much any bulky set-up sweeper). It has key immunities to Electric and Ground while also resisting Fighting and Bug, making it a good asset to absorb the Volt Turn combo.
Nope. Not possible I don't think. Defog can only be learned in Gen IV via HM. Hidden Abilities were made in Gen V. You cannot have Defog and Poison Heal on Gliscor at the same time. Sorry dude... I had hopes for it too. </3

Nope. Not possible I don't think. Defog can only be learned in Gen IV via HM. Hidden Abilities were made in Gen V. You cannot have Defog and Poison Heal on Gliscor at the same time. Sorry dude... I had hopes for it too. </3
Ah... Well that's incredibly unfortunate. I guess I could go with Hyper Cutter and Leftovers, but that's not quite the same.

Ah... Well that's incredibly unfortunate. I guess I could go with Hyper Cutter and Leftovers, but that's not quite the same.
Not only that, but that would be a standard set if it was possible, so I don't think it quite fits the bill of creative/underrated.

Not only that, but that would be a standard set if it was possible, so I don't think it quite fits the bill of creative/underrated.
Well, I hadn't seen it around anywhere, so I figured it fell under the "Creative / Underused" category, but I didn't realize it wasn't even possible. Defog can be received via egg move?

I've been messing around with Prankster Riolu. Although its previous niche of priority Roar is gone, priority Copycat can still be a potent weapon.

Riolu @ Focus Sash
Lonely, 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe (0IVs in HP/Def/SpD)
Swords Dance
Reversal
Crunch
Copycat

One of the main problems with Focus Sash/Reversal in the past (e.g. Medicham) was the weakness to Choice Scarf and priority users like Scizor. Riolu might have low stats, but it does have something that other Pokémon lack, and that is a way to give its 200BP Reversal priority with Copycat (this has the added bonus of getting in two Reversals for the price of one on the turn you go down to 1HP).
Ideally, you want to come in on a slower Pokémon after one of your Pokémon faints, so you can get in a Swords Dance first - with a Swords Dance under its belt, only Ghosts and double resists can switch in on Reversal (standard Skarmory is easily 2HKOed).
You can also use the priority Copycat to do other fun things too (for example, Copycat-ed Outrage deals ~60% to Garchomp), but unless you've already used your Sash, Reversal is usually better.

Obviously you'll want to run it with Rapid Spin/Defog support (as with other non-lead Sash users), and try to eliminate opposing weather inducers (Tyranitar and Abomasnow aren't big fans of Reversal, so they have to come in before Riolu is at 1HP).
As you might expect, Ghost types are a big problem; however, if you predict the switch-in, you can hit it with a double Crunch (enough to kill most Ghosts). This leaves you vulnerable to a revenge kill by a faster Pokémon.
The set also relies on it getting attacked (virtually any attack will bring it down to 1HP due to Riolu's terrible defenses); if it gets statused, it's not going to be doing anything at all.
As a priority user, it's slightly more powerful than CB Talonflame (Jolly Talonflame has nearly identical attack to Lonely Riolu; Riolu's Reversal is ~11% stronger than a Banded Brave Bird), but can't do much outside of its primary attack, whereas Talonflame has Flare Blitz and U-Turn.

Like other Sash/Reversal sets, this probably isn't massively playable in OU, but I feel that it might have some use if you're feeling brave.

I've been messing around with Prankster Riolu. Although its previous niche of priority Roar is gone, priority Copycat can still be a potent weapon.

Riolu @ Focus Sash
Lonely, 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe (0IVs in HP/Def/SpD)
Swords Dance
Reversal
Crunch
Copycat

One of the main problems with Focus Sash/Reversal in the past (e.g. Medicham) was the weakness to Choice Scarf and priority users like Scizor. Riolu might have low stats, but it does have something that other Pokémon lack, and that is a way to give its 200BP Reversal priority with Copycat (this has the added bonus of getting in two Reversals for the price of one on the turn you go down to 1HP).
Ideally, you want to come in on a slower Pokémon after one of your Pokémon faints, so you can get in a Swords Dance first - with a Swords Dance under its belt, only Ghosts and double resists can switch in on Reversal (standard Skarmory is easily 2HKOed).
You can also use the priority Copycat to do other fun things too (for example, Copycat-ed Outrage deals ~60% to Garchomp), but unless you've already used your Sash, Reversal is usually better.

Obviously you'll want to run it with Rapid Spin/Defog support (as with other non-lead Sash users), and try to eliminate opposing weather inducers (Tyranitar and Abomasnow aren't big fans of Reversal, so they have to come in before Riolu is at 1HP).
As you might expect, Ghost types are a big problem; however, if you predict the switch-in, you can hit it with a double Crunch (enough to kill most Ghosts). This leaves you vulnerable to a revenge kill by a faster Pokémon.
The set also relies on it getting attacked (virtually any attack will bring it down to 1HP due to Riolu's terrible defenses); if it gets statused, it's not going to be doing anything at all.
As a priority user, it's slightly more powerful than CB Talonflame (Jolly Talonflame has nearly identical attack to Lonely Riolu; Riolu's Reversal is ~11% stronger than a Banded Brave Bird), but can't do much outside of its primary attack, whereas Talonflame has Flare Blitz and U-Turn.

Like other Sash/Reversal sets, this probably isn't massively playable in OU, but I feel that it might have some use if you're feeling brave.
Why Lonely? Why not Adamant?

dragonizzlenite: I would think swords dance is better on that set. It guarantees the ohko on rotom-W, but more importanly Tyranitar. If you're not so worried about rotom-W, I could see a Salac berry being another good option as it makes natural gift into a 100bp fighting move to take out Tyranitar and Heatran. Man, natural gift is a cool idea. Giving it the ability to run acrobatics is just awesome. I have always liked that move more than brave bird for Talon.

Seeing as how Rotom-W is everywhere these days, I was thinking of a hard counter for it. Obviously dragons and grass types can wall it, but with volt switch you're just losing momentum, while ground types fear Will-O-Wisp and Hydro Pump. So I came up with this surprise Seismitoad set:

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Infestation
Toxic
Protect
Earthquake/Waterfall

The idea is you switch into a Rotom-W when it wants to Volt Switch or Hydro Pump. Most people think you're just using Seismitoad as a pivot, and since Rotom-W is immune to or resists both of its STABs, they'll figure they might as well WoW you, or whatever it is that you switch into. Surprise, you use Infestation, then Toxic, and Rotom can only watch as it dies a slow and agonizing death. Chestorest can save it once, but after that it's effectively dead weight on the team as long as Seismitoad is alive. Pain Split hurts your Seismitoad but it won't save Rotom.

I EV'd it to be a physical wall, since it's already immune to two types that are usually special. Its typing gives it some of the same advantages as Storm Drain Gastrodon, making your opponent hesitant to use water moves or Volt Switch on any of your teammates. In fact, I'd say Water Absorb is even better than Storm Drain, somewhat making up for Seismitoad's lack of recovery. I tried to run Drain Punch on it at some point to patch up that shortcoming, but needless to say the healing was generally insubstantial.

This is a variant on a common Gliscor, but I feel it belongs here because the variant changes something people consider "fundamental" about the type of set up.

Batman @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
252 HP and Def, 4 Attack (or Speed)
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge (NOT Ice Fang)

Two main reasons I'm going with [Rock Move]. 1) It hits things just as well as Ice Fang that are immune to EQ (But better vs. Flying) and is just as good at popping Balloons. 2) Talonflame and CharY are 4x weak vs. Rocks, making him a decent solution to at least Talonflame who has no SE moves and hits him in the good stat. CharY doen't pack any SE moves either (Only weak to Ice and Water and Ice, meaning Char needs Hidden Power), but usually brings EQ to the table, which makes a decent opening for Batman to switch in for free. Rockslide is nice since Batmant has a good speed and can flinch a lot of slower threats if he's lucky. Stone Edge is more powerful, but less accurate as well. It's a choice really.

Con: Can't hit the number of things that are 4x Ice Weak as well as before, but most of them aren't huge threats vs. Gliscor personally (save other Gliscor that HAVE Ice Fang).

Just some quick theorymon'ing here. I just started using zapdos and I really like it's defensive capabilities this gen with electric giving it key resistances to top offensive threats. I'm using a more defensive set but here's something that I kinda like the looks of:

Zapdos@Choice Scarf
Ability:Pressure
EVs: 184 Hp / 252 SpA / 72 Spe Modest
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-Hidden Power Ice
-Volt Switch

It has enough speed to beat Greninja with the scarf. Being able to run modest is great for extra hitting power and the bulk helps it check pinsir/lucario. Not sure if sacrificing overall revenging potential for more bulk is worth it, but it was a thought. If you can handle dragon dancers another way it shouldn't be too much of an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)