Creative Sets In Doubles OU

kyub still outspeeds if you run an ass ton of speed. also, it's not all that useful outspeeding zard when sun isnt up for obvious reasons
slower zards are much more common than faster zards now, so outside of sun (when is zard outside of sun outside of being mega x anyway?) the 284 speed for outspeeding zard is relevant.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
slower zards are much more common than faster zards now, so outside of sun (when is zard outside of sun outside of being mega x anyway?) the 284 speed for outspeeding zard is relevant.
because there are many situations where a Charizard Y is on the field and Sun is not up

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
... yes there are....
the first turn of charizard being on the field. Is char y really going to protect if it assumes all venusaur are modest? It's going to protect and potentially let you switch. Ok.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Helping Hand
- Belly Drum
- Protect

HH lets you move before you get faked out or taloned, also lets it support in an otherwise dead weight matchup by getting teammates extra kos. I like pairing it with mega gengar, among others, for a really strong anti-tr lead. Works with most spread and priority attackers.

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 56 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Sunny Day

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Sunny Day
- Protect

I used these on teams with good sun matchups/mons that could appreciate sun + poor rain matchups otherwise. Do with them what you will. EV spreads are smogdex.

o//

Venusaur @ Life Orb / Focus Sash / Wide Lens
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain / Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Timid Venu...

Been trying this thing out lately, have always wondered why I didn't run timid venu for out-of-sun functionality, the key thing this does is outspeed kyube outside of sun, which is pretty clutch because I don't want that thing getting free subs and it'll just sub before my miss powder OR it'll just ice beam my butt which isn't fun either. Obviously it outspeeds other things in the area ie breloom, Charizard, ties with Hoopa, etc. Just something I'd like to get some thoughts on n_n
Really, really like this set

Venusaur @ Wide Lens
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

this kinda alters venu's role slightly, as you are now looking to put as many things to sleep as possible while still having a nuke in the back pocket instead primarily attacking. As mentioned, this venu is actually still pretty respectably fast outside of sun. Here is a video of a team I built with this venu set. It actually isnt to great for showing venu's capabilities as he died pretty quick (I saved it to try and hype up sun blaze), but you can see how the dynamic of the team is set up to let zard terrak and blaziken rip through teams while venu buys them time.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-306642298

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- U-Turn

Very old DOU players will remember that once upon a time, Adamant Band talon was standard. This is a slight twist on an old classic that mostly acts like standard Talon but you trade your ability to switch moves and use Protect for the ability to outspeed and OHKO Adamant Talon and Timid Thund, almost always 2HKO Lando-T on the switchin, and take less recoil. I still prefer standard Talon, but when i say "i want talon, but this team is talon weak," i use this set instead. The nifty thing is you don't really have to worry about LO talons going Jolly to try and speed game you because they miss out on a bunch of OHKOs if they do, including—get this—the OHKO on Talonflame.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power / Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

not rly fantastic, probably could be optimized and might be posted before

so yea if you have a really weak diancie matchup i guess you could use flash cannon to take her by surprise, you still keep earth power so you don't get walled by tran but you can use fireblast if you have ferro problems i guess. this isn't rly good on a life orb set because you'll have protect on there and you'll lose out on EP/FB coverage which is crucial

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick
- Destiny Bond / Quash

I like this Hoopa-U set. It hits really hard with its two main STABs, breaking protect with both for things that are slower than it, which after the Choice Scarf boost includes things like Mega Diancie hitting through Wide Guard or Mega Kangaskhan hitting through a first turn double Protect. While it has some cool secondary coverage options like Gunk Shot or whatever, this uses the last two moves supportively.
Trick ensures that when faced with Trick Room, I can just Trick scarf onto a setter and not only disrupt how they use their setter, but also ensure that while under their Trick Room I used hyperspace moves to break through protect before my Mega Kangaskhan/Diancie/whatever else moves.
Destiny Bond lures scarf Landorus-T into U-turn KOing Hoopa-U or do other things similar. The other option I listed, Quash, lets you force an opposing mon (including scarf Landorus-T) into moving last for another mon to do something or even just butcher the Landorus-T.
The EVs could be optimized for stuff but I have max SPA to hit fighting types, specifically Keldeo and Terrakion, as hard as possible with Hyperspace Hole (Hyperspace Fury also gets nerfed by Intimidate anyway 3:)

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick
- Destiny Bond / Quash

I like this Hoopa-U set. It hits really hard with its two main STABs, breaking protect with both for things that are slower than it, which after the Choice Scarf boost includes things like Mega Diancie hitting through Wide Guard or Mega Kangaskhan hitting through a first turn double Protect. While it has some cool secondary coverage options like Gunk Shot or whatever, this uses the last two moves supportively.
Trick ensures that when faced with Trick Room, I can just Trick scarf onto a setter and not only disrupt how they use their setter, but also ensure that while under their Trick Room I used hyperspace moves to break through protect before my Mega Kangaskhan/Diancie/whatever else moves.
Destiny Bond lures scarf Landorus-T into U-turn KOing Hoopa-U or do other things similar. The other option I listed, Quash, lets you force an opposing mon (including scarf Landorus-T) into moving last for another mon to do something or even just butcher the Landorus-T.
The EVs could be optimized for stuff but I have max SPA to hit fighting types, specifically Keldeo and Terrakion, as hard as possible with Hyperspace Hole (Hyperspace Fury also gets nerfed by Intimidate anyway 3:)
Scarf destiny bond is absolutely terrible, because if they dont ko you the turn you click it, you have to switch hoopa right out. Also, scarf quash isnt very great either, because it means you arent clicking any attacks.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Landorus @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Rock Slide
- Protect

not super creative but I havnt seen it done before
obviously a sun check
typically venu and amoonguss would wall lando and put it to sleep. safety goggles + sheer force boosted psychic is a solid counter to both.
the other two moves are what you'd expect

edit: hasty nature

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
252 SpA Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Venusaur: 236-278 (78.1 - 92%)
0- Atk Sheer Force Landorus Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Mega Charizard Y: 260-308 (72.4 - 85.7%)

What a truly "creative" set

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
252 SpA Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Venusaur: 236-278 (78.1 - 92%)
0- Atk Sheer Force Landorus Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Mega Charizard Y: 260-308 (72.4 - 85.7%)

What a truly "creative" set
edit: hasty nature

edit: pls dont come discredit something you lost to the day before

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I can understand your reasoning behind it, but imo the biggest draw to using Landorus-I is being able to OHKO Aegislash even in Shield forme, which the Goggles set cannot do. In general, it loses out on a lot of special attacking power and isn't really worth it to force it into the role of checking one playstyle if it performs worse outside of that matchup.

non life orb landorus i is an awful idea. Really, anything with sheer force should be using life orb 100% of the time unless you wanna use scarf i guess

Manaphy @ Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rain Dance
- Rest
- Tail Glow

Originally started using this in the search of a non politoed setter for DUU, but am now playing around with it in OU, and am really, really liking it as a setter that had both big offensive presence as well as a ton of staying power with hydration rests. In rain, after a tail glow, this thing is absolutely monstrous, and it has the natural bulk to pull it off. Not neccesarily a replacement for politoed in OU, but it allows you to run specs much more comfortably.

Last edited:
Cresselia @ Safety Goggles/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 0 Spe
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick Room

A cress set that I've used for a long time. It's a perfect switch in to amoongus that does big damage back, doesn't allow heatran to get up a sub against you, kos any non av landorus while doing half to most bulky thunds, breaks kyubs sub, does good damage back against non invested kangs, still has enough bulk to set up tr and generally feels less like a sitting duck. It annoys most thalk due their lack of supereffective stab against it and can still get tr against faster teams due to it still having good bulk. Alternatively rocky helmet or sitrus could be used to annoy kang or get more general bulk.

Ludicolo @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Really neat set I've been trying that preys on the high usage of more offensive Thundurus sets. They TWave you, Ludi shrugs it off due to Lum, and gets up a free Substitute, which allows it to pummel Thundurus with a Rain-Boosted Hydro.

252+ SpA Ludicolo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Thundurus in Rain: 276-325 (92.3 - 108.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Works well with Diancie because this set lures in fast Thundy, which often carries Flash Cannon. Ludi is also able to set up Subs in a normal game quite easily due to the insane amount of offensive pressure it puts on teams; it usually requires Protects from the opposing side to pivot around without losing too many mons. This also gives it the ability to dodge Bisharp's Sucker Punch and if a Sub is already up, Talon's Brave Bird.

Hoopa-U is a fantastic wallbreaker. Along with speed control, it can rip teams to shreds.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
EVs: 140 Atk / 116 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

-116 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Landorus-T: 312-369 (97.8 - 115.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
-140 Atk Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Cresselia: 367-432 (82.6 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-116 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Psychic vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 437-515 (101.1 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-140 Atk Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 328-385 (101.2 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)