Ubers Corviknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasen

pleading and afraid
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
:xy/corviknight:
[Overview]

Due to Pressure, its natural bulk, and its typing, Corviknight is a decent Defogger that can beat common Stealth Rock setters such as Necrozma-DM, Groudon, Tyranitar, and Landorus-T and assist partners such as Choice Band Ho-Oh. It's also able to check a lot of common physical attackers like Jolly Marshadow, Excadrill, and Groudon without Fire-type coverage. Unfortunately for Corviknight, its gameplan is extremely telegraphed and allows most special wallbreakers to come in and threaten it. Moreover, some of the best physical wallbreakers in Ubers aren't bothered in the slightest and can actively switch into it. Corviknight's lack of immediate damage output leaves it to be extremely passive when compared to other Defoggers such as Yveltal and Ho-Oh.

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Roost
move 2: U-turn / Iron Defense
move 3: Body Press
move 4: Defog
item: Rocky Helmet
ability: Pressure
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

Roost lets Corviknight remain healthy to consistently check physical attackers. U-turn allows Corviknight to pivot. Iron Defense can be run over U-turn to both boost Body Press's power and allow Corviknight to beat setup sweepers such as Groudon and Dragon Dance Necrozma-DM. Body Press uses Corviknight's great Defense stat to deal damage and usually deals more damage than options like Brave Bird and Iron Head. Rocky Helmet punishes U-turn from opposing pivots as well as Necrozma-DM's Sunsteel Strike or Iron Head. Leftovers can be utilized on the Iron Defense set to provide more longevity, but it is less effective at punishing the aforementioned contact move users.

Ho-Oh and Yveltal are both great partners, forming a double Defog core with Corviknight. Corviknight providing Defog also allows Ho-Oh to run Choice Band and Yveltal to run a more proactive set. Other wallbreakers that need Stealth Rock removed, such as Choice Band Galarian Darmanitan, Calyrex-I, and Rayquaza, also make good partners, as Corviknight can pivot into them safely after using Defog. Cleric support from Blissey and Xerneas can help Corviknight with status, with Blissey in particular dealing with the special attackers it struggles against, such as Xerneas, Kyogre, and Eternatus. Landorus-T and Groudon are excellent teammates, dealing with the physical attackers that Corviknight struggles with, such as Zygarde-C and Zekrom. Eternatus, Rest Zygarde, and Giratina are good answers to Ho-Oh, with the former two also helping to scout Groudon's potential Fire-type coverage.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
====

Iron Head deals more damage to Xerneas and Calyrex-I, but it is otherwise entirely outclassed by Body Press due to providing next to no offensive utility.

Checks and Counters
====

**Zekrom**: Zekrom shrugs off Body Press and OHKOes Corviknight with Bolt Strike.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Calyrex-S, Kyogre, offensive Yveltal, and Geomancy Xerneas take advantage of Corviknight's middling special bulk.

**Dedicated Leads**: Aerodactyl, Slurpuff, and Froslass have tools to ensure that their entry hazards will stay on the field, limiting Corviknight's effectiveness as a Defogger.

**Fire-types and Fire-type Attacks**: Ho-Oh and Heatran threaten Corviknight with their Fire-type STAB attacks, while Groudon and Rayquaza quickly dispose of Corviknight with their Fire-type coverage.

**Strong Physical Wallbreakers**: Choice Band Marshadow, Calyrex-I, and Urshifu-S can 2HKO Corviknight with their STAB moves or use it as setup fodder. Iron Defense can mitigate this weakness outside of the Urshifu-S matchup, however.

**Magnezone**: Magnezone can trap Corviknight and 2HKO it with Discharge or Thunderbolt.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Lasen, 273339]]
- Quality checked by: [[Manaphy, 50695], [Aberforth, 249382]]
- Grammar checked by: [[GatoDelFuego, 273339], [DC, 449990]]

Last edited:

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I think u wanna emphasize this mon more so for teams that have something that really hates hazards damage than just fat/stall teams, cb ho-oh is a really obvious one that comes to mind but I could also see Ice-types like Darm or Caly-I (both of which like corv being able to hard switch into NDM every single time). In this regard it has a niche against Xatu because it does more stuff generally than Xatu does. Checking stuff like Don and offensive NDM should not be underrated niches imo. I think Corviknight is good enough at defogging by itself thanks to Pressure that it doesnt need another defog user on the team. This can help free up your Yveltal to run another move, which is nice. Corv also has a niche in comparison to the main Defog users of Yveltal and Ho-Oh in that they dont get owned by the alternative stealth rock setters such as Groudon or Landorus, so you should mention that as well.

Eternatus and Giratina
mention Zyg here too

It's also extremely passive, as it needs to remain healthy to be effective in its role, meaning it has to use Roost at almost every opportunity, allowing ample opportunities for special attackers to come in and threaten it out.
Uhh I dont really think this is true? Like Corv is passive but what you are literally saying here isnt, If you hard into them setting Rocks most of the time you are Defogging on their switch-out. Rocks setters like NDM, Don or Lando do shit damage to you, so most of the time you are either defogging or getting annoyed by twave. U-Turn is decent at making Corv less passive but yeah obv u check less without ID.

but is even bulkier on the physical side
dont mention this because I checked this like 2 years ago and skarm is only like .4% more bulky physically so its kinda misleading

Corviknight functions best in stall teams.
as I said above i dont reallllyyyy think this is true so remove

Ho-Oh and Yveltal are both great partners, being able to form double or even Defog cores so that Ho-Oh can run Choice Band.
as I said above I dont think dual defog is mandatory, but these mons are great partners for the different reasons I mentioned above

Moreover, it has to compete with Skarmory, a Pokemon that shares it typing but is even bulkier on the physical side while having access to Spikes and Defog.
This comparison feels a bit weird because while the two mons are similar on a surface level, I think they serve pretty different roles; Corv is for using Pressure to actively keeps rocks and other hazards off of the field consistently, while Skarmory is more used for keeping Spikes on the field.

Lasen

pleading and afraid
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I think u wanna emphasize this mon more so for teams that have something that really hates hazards damage than just fat/stall teams, cb ho-oh is a really obvious one that comes to mind but I could also see Ice-types like Darm or Caly-I (both of which like corv being able to hard switch into NDM every single time). In this regard it has a niche against Xatu because it does more stuff generally than Xatu does.
I am fine with mentioning Caly-I, but Darm-G? I don't think I'd ever run Galardarm and Corvi on the same team. The Xatu stuff is also only partially true since Xatu also pivots with U-turn and checks the same rocks setters (not as well) but since NDM has moved on from Sunsteel to Iron Head I am fine with that... not that I am writing about Xatu.

Checking stuff like Don and offensive NDM should not be underrated niches imo.
it's literally the first thing in the analysis... then also the 2nd thing.

I think Corviknight is good enough at defogging by itself thanks to Pressure that it doesnt need another defog user on the team. This can help free up your Yveltal to run another move, which is nice. Corv also has a niche in comparison to the main Defog users of Yveltal and Ho-Oh in that they dont get owned by the alternative stealth rock setters such as Groudon or Landorus, so you should mention that as well.
Bit confused, do you mean corviknight doesn't get destroyed by Lando-T and Groudon? If so that's true and I can also say that Yveltal not running Defog is a boon for it.

mention Zyg here too
If I get burned I cry but sure, I'll specify "rest Zyggy"

Uhh I dont really think this is true? Like Corv is passive but what you are literally saying here isnt, If you hard into them setting Rocks most of the time you are Defogging on their switch-out. Rocks setters like NDM, Don or Lando do shit damage to you, so most of the time you are either defogging or getting annoyed by twave. U-Turn is decent at making Corv less passive but yeah obv u check less without ID.
It's such a do-nothing mon, if you set up Rocks they get defogged then some ooga booga Special Attacker comes in and you have to switch out. It's also super predictable cause it comes in on Rocks, every time, without question, especially if the rocker is NDM or Lando-t.

dont mention this because I checked this like 2 years ago and skarm is only like .4% more bulky physically so its kinda misleading
I checked last night, Skarmory takes Jolly CB well enough to have a roll to live and doesn't die to Ada LO Poltergeist, hence me mentioning it. It's two relevants calcs.

as I said above I dont think dual defog is mandatory, but these mons are great partners for the different reasons I mentioned above
Not mandatory but I am suggesting double defog, queue Pohjis vs. Garay in ribbon finals or Garay vs BasedWhat in whatever week of UPL; CB Ho-Oh likes that sort of support.

This comparison feels a bit weird because while the two mons are similar on a surface level, I think they serve pretty different roles; Corv is for using Pressure to actively keeps rocks and other hazards off of the field consistently, while Skarmory is more used for keeping Spikes on the field.
Would it be better to have a point about how it competes with all other Steels? Like, you can't run shit like Ferrothorn + Corvi for obvious reasons and NDM + Corvi is passive city.

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Another AM GP check!
BLUE = Additions
RED = Deletions
GREEN = Comments

[Overview]

With access to Pressure and a strong defensive typing in Steel / Flying, Corviknight acts as a decent Defog user that can beat most common Stealth Rock setters, such as Necrozma-DM, Groudon, Tyranitar, and Landorus-T. Thanks to its natural bulk, it's also able to check a lot of common physical attackers like Jolly Marshadow, Excadrill, and Groudon without Fire-type coverage. Because of this, it's often seen on teams that require entry hazards to not be present on their side of the field. Unfortunately for Corviknight, its typing leaves it weak to common attacking types in Ubers and its Special Defense is nothing to write home about. It's gameplan is also extremely telegraphed, as it's (Added Apostrophe) primarily a Defog user that allows most special wallbreakers to come in on it and threaten it out. Moreover, some of the best physical wallbreakers in Ubers aren't bothered in the slightest by Corviknight and can actively switch into it. As such, Corviknight's lack of immediate damage output leave -> leaves it to be extremely passive.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Roost is mandatory so that Corviknight can remain healthy to consistently check physical attackers. U-turn is a good way for Corviknight to pivot into a teammate. Body Press uses Corviknight's great Defense stat to deal damage and usually deals more damage than its other options. Iron Defense can be run over U-turn to both boost Body Press' damage -> power (repetition) and allow Corviknight to beat setup sweepers such as Groudon or Dragon Dance Necrozma-DM. Rocky Helmet punishes U-turn from opposing pivots as well as Necrozma-DM's Sunsteel Strike or Iron Head. Leftovers can be utilized by the Iron Defense set as it provides more longevity, but it is less effective at punishing the aforementioned contact move users.

Ho-Oh and Yveltal are both great partners, being able to form -> forming a double or even Defog cores -> core so that -> allowing Ho-Oh can -> to run Choice Band. Yveltal in particular -> on its own (because you mention the double Defog core with Yveltal above, I think you should mention that it likes not running Defog outside of that core) appreciates not having to run Defog so that it can opt for a more proactive moveset. Other wallbreakers that need Stealth Rock removed such as Choice Band Galarian Darmanitan, Calyrex-I, and Rayquaza also make good partners as Corviknight can pivot into them safely after using Defog. Cleric support from Blissey and Xerneas can help Corviknight with status, with Blissey in particular dealing with the special attackers it struggles against, such as Xerneas, Kyogre, and Eternatus. Landorus-T and Groudon are excellent teammates, dealing with the physical attackers that Corviknight struggles with such as Zygarde-C and Zekrom. Eternatus, Rest Zygarde, and Giratina are good answers to Ho-Oh, with the former two also helping to scout Groudon's potential Fire-type coverage.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
====

Iron Head will deal more damage to Xerneas and Calyrex-I, but is otherwise entirely outclassed by Body Press as it provides next to no offensive utility.

Checks and Counters
====

**Zekrom**: Zekrom can shrug off Body Press and OHKO with Bolt Strike.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Calyrex-S, Kyogre, offensive Yveltal, and Geomancy Xerneas are just some of the special attackers that can take advantage of Corviknight's middling special bulk.

**Dedicated Leads**: Aerodactyl, Slurpuff, and Froslass all have tools to ensure that their entry hazards will stay on the field, (AC) and since Corviknight's job revolves around keeping them away, it bypasses its role.

**Fire-types and Fire-type Attacks**: Ho-Oh and Heatran can threaten Corviknight with their Fire-type STAB (since you mention the other Fire-type attacks as coverage, I think it would be helpful to add STAB here) attacks, while Groudon and Rayquaza can all carry Fire-type coverage and will quickly dispose of Corviknight.

**Strong Physical Wallbreakers**: Choice Band Marshadow, Calyrex-I, and Urshifu-S can all 2HKO with their STAB moves or use Corviknight to setup. Iron Defense can mitigate this weakness outside of the Urshifu-S matchup (probably worth mentioning since ID doesn't help here), however.

**Magnezone**: Magnezone can trap Corviknight and 2HKO it with Discharge or Thunderbolt.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
[/QUOTE]

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
With access to Pressure and a strong defensive typing in Steel / Flying, Corviknight acts as is a decent Defog user that can beat most common Stealth Rock setters, such as Necrozma-DM, Groudon, Tyranitar, and Landorus-T. Thanks to its natural bulk, Pressure, and a strong defensive typing, is it a strong defensive typing if later on you say its typing is weak to common attacking types in Ubers?? it's also able to check a lot of common physical attackers like Jolly Marshadow, Excadrill, and Groudon without Fire-type coverage. Because of this, it's its often seen on teams that require entry hazards to not be present on their side of the field. yes, it's a defog user, that's why it is being used Unfortunately for Corviknight, its typing leaves it weak to common attacking types in Ubers and its Special Defense is nothing to write home about. It's its gameplan is also extremely telegraphed, as it's a Defog user that allows most special wallbreakers to come in and threaten it out. Moreover, some of the best physical wallbreakers in Ubers aren't bothered in the slightest by Corviknight and can actively switch into it. As such, Corviknight's lack of immediate damage output leaves it to be extremely passive. Can you reword this to say why it is passive compared to other defog users, such as...?

gp 1/2 approved w/ dex's changes implemented (which you already have)

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pressure and typing are helpful SPECIFICALLY for beating these Stealth Rock setters, not so much for its overall utility (still helps). Reworded it so I hope GP 2/2 will approve.
Ok in that case say it can beat stealth rock setters, such as x, y, z, thanks to its bulk, typing, pressure. (But don't say "strong defensive typing", imo, if the typing just gives it the advantage vs those Pokemon). Next sentence just say "it's also able to check...etc etc" as normal

Ed: err actually how you've worded this now is fine. I still think saying it has use on teams that want entry hazard gone is silly, since that's the entire point of defog. Unless this really is driving home the point not to use this unless you really need that dedog

DC

Kpop Main, No Brain
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments
AC = Add Comma, RC = Remove Comma, AH = Add Hyphen, RH = Remove Hyphen

[Overview]

Due to Pressure, its natural bulk, and its typing, Corviknight is a decent Defog user Defogger that can beat most common Stealth Rock setters,(RC) such as Necrozma-DM, Groudon, Tyranitar, and Landorus-T and carves itself a niche on teams that require entry hazards to not be present on their side of the field.(Yes, this is basically fluff to describe a Defogger) It's also able to check a lot of common physical attackers like Jolly Marshadow, Excadrill, and Groudon without Fire-type coverage. Unfortunately for Corviknight, its gameplan is extremely telegraphed,(RC) as it and allows most special wallbreakers to come in and threaten force it out.(or threaten it, just not threaten it out) Moreover, some of the best physical wallbreakers in Ubers aren't bothered in the slightest and can actively switch into it. As such,(RC) Corviknight's lack of immediate damage output leaves it to be extremely passive when compared to other Defog users of the tier Defoggers such as Yveltal and Ho-Oh.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Roost is mandatory so that lets Corviknight can remain healthy to consistently check physical attackers. U-turn is a good way for allows Corviknight to pivot. Body Press uses Corviknight's great Defense stat to deal damage and usually deals more damage than its other options.(what other options) Iron Defense can be run over U-turn to both boost Body Press's power and allow Corviknight to beat setup sweepers such as Groudon or and Dragon Dance Necrozma-DM.(move this sentence after the U-turn sentence) Rocky Helmet punishes U-turn from opposing pivots as well as Necrozma-DM's Sunsteel Strike or Iron Head. Leftovers can be utilized by on the Iron Defense set as it to provides more longevity, but it is less effective at punishing the aforementioned contact move users.

Ho-Oh and Yveltal are both great partners, forming a double Defog core allowing Ho-Oh to run Choice Band. Yveltal on its own appreciates not having to run Defog so that it can opt for a more proactive moveset. Ho-Oh and Yveltal are both great partners, forming a double Defog core with Corviknight. Corviknight providing Defog also allows Ho-Oh to run Choice Band and Yveltal to run a more proactive set.(Is this what you meant? I am semi-confused by the wording of the Ho-Oh part) Other wallbreakers that need Stealth Rock removed,(AC) such as Choice Band Galarian Darmanitan, Calyrex-I, and Rayquaza,(AC) also make good partners,(AC) as Corviknight can pivot into them safely after using Defog. Cleric support from Blissey and Xerneas can help Corviknight with status, with Blissey in particular dealing with the special attackers it struggles against, such as Xerneas, Kyogre, and Eternatus. Landorus-T and Groudon are excellent teammates, dealing with the physical attackers that Corviknight struggles with,(AC) such as Zygarde-C and Zekrom. Eternatus, Rest Zygarde, and Giratina are good answers to Ho-Oh, with the former two also helping to scout Groudon's potential Fire-type coverage.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
====

Iron Head will deals more damage to Xerneas and Calyrex-I, but it is otherwise entirely outclassed by Body Press as it provides due to providing next to no offensive utility.

Checks and Counters
====

**Zekrom**: Zekrom can shrugs off Body Press and OHKOes Corviknight with Bolt Strike.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Calyrex-S, Kyogre, offensive Yveltal, and Geomancy Xerneas are just some of the special attackers that can take advantage of Corviknight's middling special bulk.

**Dedicated Leads**: Aerodactyl, Slurpuff, and Froslass all have tools to ensure that their entry hazards will stay on the field, and since Corviknight's job revolves around keeping them away,(RC) it bypasses its role limiting Corviknight's effectiveness as a Defogger.

**Fire-types and Fire-type Attacks**: Ho-Oh and Heatran can threaten Corviknight with their Fire-type STAB attacks, while Groudon and Rayquaza can all carry Fire-type coverage and will quickly dispose of Corviknight with their Fire-type coverage.

**Strong Physical Wallbreakers**: Choice Band Marshadow, Calyrex-I, and Urshifu-S can all 2HKO Corviknight with their STAB moves or use Corviknight to it as setup fodder. Iron Defense can mitigate this weakness outside of the Urshifu-S matchup, however.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[GatoDelFuego, 273339], [username2, userid2]]
GP 2/2. [DC, 449990]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)