All Gens Compiling Rulesets

That's because the ruleset isn't actually posted anywhere that is easily accessible. I've complained about this multiple times with regard to SPL. :[ Even I didn't know we, apparently, don't do Self-KO (suicide) Clause in older gens and just totally replayed tourney matches that end in a tie.
Let's fix this! With the current dex setup, we have perfect spots for rulesets. We already have some pages ready like this, and where it says "No description", we can add rulesets to make it easier on everyone. I don't know all of the rulesets myself, but I figure if we got a thread rolling here, we could start putting them on-site for gens 1-5. BW has the main tier rulesets (sans Doubles, but that link's outdated. exca/weather, endless battle clause, BP, and evasion changes come to mind, might be more) already on-site and the VGC stuff I can find elsewhere, but if any BW OM lovers wanna pitch in rulesets for these guys, we can put them up as well~

So, for now, anyone who is very knowledgeable about any former format's rulesets, please post them up. Also, feel free to correct anything you notice wrong in someone else's ruleset post. An example (I copped a bit from BW's):

RBY OU
Clauses:
Species Clause
- A player cannot have two Pokemon with the same National Pokédex number on a team. For example, you cannot have 2 Koffing on your team.
Evasion Clause - A Pokemon may not have the moves Double Team or Minimize in its moveset.
OHKO Clause - A Pokemon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, or Horn Drill in its moveset.
Endless Battle Clause - In the event of an endless battle (such as only two Dittos remaining who can only transform forever, two Gengar forced to Struggle against each other, etc.), a draw is called.
Cleric Clause - All Pokemon must have full HP and PP, and not have any status conditions prior to the battle. In other words, heal up with Nurse Joy right before your battle if you're on cartridge; the simulators do this automatically.
Invulnerability Clause - A Pokemon may not have the moves Fly or Dig in its moveset. This is due to a glitch where a Pokemon that becomes fully paralyzed while in a semi-invulnerable state (the second turn of the attack) will remain in that semi-invulnerable state until switching or using Fly or Dig again.

Mods:
Sleep Clause Mod -
No more than one Pokemon on each player's side may be sleeping as the direct result of an opponent's move. All effects of moves that would cause sleep are prevented from taking effect while Sleep Clause is active. For cartridge players, you lose if, at the end of your turn, two of your opponent's Pokemon were put to sleep by a move you used, but were not forced into, and neither have had their sleep removed since then.
Freeze Clause Mod - A player cannot freeze two of their opponent's Pokemon at the same time. All effects of moves that would cause freeze are prevented from taking effect while Freeze Clause is active. For cartridge players, a player has the option of requesting a redo or playing it out in the case of receiving multiple freezes.
Desync Clause Mod - Glitches that cause one player to gradually disconnect in a cartridge battle (Counter and Psywave desyncs) have not been implemented on the simulator due to the unfair win conditions they create.

Restrictions:
Banned Pokemon
- A team cannot have any of the Pokemon found in the following tiers: Uber.

^ Pretty sure the only differences between this and Ubers is the Ban section, haha. Does RBY UU have any unique rules, or does that just need OU and BL added to the Banned Pokemon list?

I'll run anything that we come up with past a few peeps to make sure nothing's missing, then quick GP it and put it up. Feel free to copy/paste whatever's applicable from above, but make sure it's still accurate for your generation. That BW ruleset link above might be easier to work backwards from~

Last edited:

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sleep Clause - You lose if, at the end of your turn, two of your opponent's Pokemon were put to sleep by a move you used but were not forced into, and neither have had their sleep removed since then.

this is not true. smogon policy and current simulator policy is a mechanical clause, where sleep moves fails rather than force a loss. rest looks good.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
GSC OU

Clauses:
Species Clause
- A player cannot have two Pokemon with the same National Pokédex number on a team. For example, you cannot have 2 Koffing on your team.
Evasion Clause - A Pokemon may not have the moves Double Team or Minimize in its moveset. BrightPowder is not banned under Evasion Clause for this generation.
OHKO Clause - A Pokemon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, or Horn Drill in its moveset.
Endless Battle Clause - In the event of an endless battle (such as only two Dittos remaining who can only transform forever), a draw is called.
Cleric Clause - All Pokemon must have full HP and PP, and not have any status conditions prior to the battle. In other words, heal up with Nurse Joy right before your battle if you're on cartridge; the simulators do this automatically.
Sleep Perish Trap Clause - No Pokemon may use a moveset that contains the combination of all three of the following:
-A move that can inflict Sleep on the opponent (i.e., any of Sing, Hypnosis, Sleep Powder, Lovely Kiss, Spore)
-A partial-trapping move with indefinite duration (i.e., any of Spider Web, Mean Look)
-Perish Song
No Glitch Clause - This might go without saying, but all Pokemon, levels, stats, movesets, and items used during a match must be obtainable through play as intended without exploiting glitches. This ranges from banning obvious cases such as a Vaporeon moveset with Aeroblast obtained through the Bad Egg glitch; to banning more subtle cases such as a Cloyster with both Explosion and Rapid Spin on the same moveset (the former is exclusively learned as a Generation 1 TM, whereas the latter is an egg move that cannot be traded back to Generation 1).

Mods:
Sleep Clause Mod -
No more than one Pokemon on each player's side may be sleeping as the direct result of an opponent's move. All effects of moves that would cause sleep are prevented from taking effect while Sleep Clause is active. Using Rest while asleep (e.g., via Sleep Talk) will reset Sleep Clause.
Freeze Clause Mod - A player cannot freeze two of their opponent's Pokemon at the same time. All effects of moves that would cause freeze are prevented from taking effect while Freeze Clause is active.

Bans:
Banned Pokemon

Simulator
Official Smogon GSC OU matches are played on the Pokemon Online simulator.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
THANKS ZEBRAIKEN :{ JELLICENT :{

As far as Jorgen's GSC stuff, I don't feel there's a need to mention Brightpowder at all under Evasion Clause, since it doesn't apply, but you can simply shorten the phrasing to "BrightPowder is allowed" if you're super concerned about newer players being confused and questioning. I don't believe BP is still banned anyway, thank goodness. I also believe that Gen 2 starts auto-healing your mons before link battles so a "Cleric Clause" wouldn't be necessary, but I could be wrong. According to the General Tourney Rules & Guidelines, Freeze Clause is only a thing for Gen 1 so we can nix that.

No need to mention an "official simulator," I feel that's best left for individual TOs to decide if there's a reason to deviate from the norm. Besides, we should hopefully be moving default Gen 2 play back to PS before long...

GSC OU

Clauses:
Species Clause
Evasion Clause - A Pokemon may not have the moves Double Team or Minimize in its moveset.
Endless Battle Clause - In the event of an endless battle (such as only two Dittos remaining who can only Transform forever), a draw is called.
Sleep Perish Trap Clause - No Pokemon may use a moveset that contains the combination of all three of the following:
-A move that can inflict Sleep on the opponent (i.e., any of Sing, Hypnosis, Sleep Powder, Lovely Kiss, Spore)
-A partial-trapping move with indefinite duration (i.e., any of Spider Web, Mean Look)
-Perish Song
No Glitch Clause - All Pokemon, levels, stats, movesets, and items used during a match must be obtainable through play as intended without exploiting glitches. This ranges from banning obvious cases such as a Vaporeon moveset with Aeroblast obtained through the Bad Egg glitch; to banning more subtle cases such as a Cloyster with both Explosion and Rapid Spin on the same moveset (the former is exclusively learned as a Generation 1 TM, whereas the latter is an egg move that cannot be traded back to Generation 1).

Mods:
Sleep Clause Mod -
No more than one Pokemon on each player's side may be sleeping as the direct result of an opponent's move. All effects of moves that would cause sleep are prevented from taking effect while Sleep Clause is active. Successfully using Rest while asleep, via Sleep Talk, will reset Sleep Clause.

Bans:
Banned Pokemon
Maybe you guys want that addendum about cartridge rules under Sleep Clause here too, I dunno. Is No Glitch Clause really necessary?

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Jellicent for now it's accurate, but you may want to double check with some people, namely Joim (as it seems he would be who programs it), if Cleric Clause will continue to exist (for both RBY and GSC). There's been some recent talk about it here.

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've come up with a separate exhaustive list/categorization for RBY clauses (excluding move bans):

RBY Mods/Clauses

Starting point: RBY Colosseum Link Battles (unmodified).

Fundamental

Visual
  • HP Percentage - Shows percentages for the Hit Points Bar, where there otherwise would be none.
  • Move Effectiveness Text - Prints correct move type effectiveness (e.g. super-effective, neutral and not very effective)
Mechanical
  • PRNG - An alternate pseudo-random number generator is used to the one in-game.
  • Desync - Prevents Desynchronisation, i.e. the gradual disconnecting of an opponent in response to unwanted Psywave and Counter mechanics.
  • Double Loss - All battles where both sides appear to lose are declared a tie, since ties of this nature aren't stated in-game.
  • Endless Battle - Terminates battles that feature repetitive cycles that are believed to cause a battle to be infinite or have an excessive number of turns.
High Level

Team Approval
  • Glitchmon - Restricts Pokémon to those in the Pokédex and prevents their typing and stat structures being modified. (I don't know how complicated this gets)
  • Hackmon - Restricts movepools to those legally obtainable.
  • Tradeback - Prevents Pokémon having moves obtained from trading back from GSC.
  • Cleric - Forces all Pokémon's PP and HP to be full and have no status.
  • Species - Prevents players from entering battle who have more than 1 of the same Pokémon species in their team.
Mechanical
  • Freeze - If a Pokémon is currently frozen on a player's team, prevents additional freezes from occuring to other Pokémon on that team.
  • Sleep - If a Pokémon is currently asleep (not from Rest) on a player's team, prevents additional Pokémon from that team being put to sleep.
I've been thinking about the double loss clause and I think it'd be interesting if we stated/knew all the cases where link battles appear to tie. I know 2: Explosion/Self-Destruct and Double-Edge/Take-Down/Struggle fainting the target and user at the same time when there's 1 Pokémon each left. I don't know what happens with burn/poison though.

Yeah, no glitches goes without saying.

I doubt we'd ever remove Cleric Clause from standard formats, but I've talked to Joim and Zarel about it. There'd definitely be discussion here before the removal of any clause, though, so no worries~

Also, took ages properly tagging all the lil guys, but I've set up LC sections on the dex for RBY, GSC, and ADV. If anyone notices a mon that should or shouldn't be there, let me know; I could've missed one or two. I've also put up the ruleset for RBY LC, so we've got one gen totally done ^.^

Jellicent, I just went through em... I think this is everything you missed:

RBY:
accurate

GSC:
Remove Jigglypuff
Add Marill
Add Scyther(? not familiar with GSC rules lol, but Chansey is there so idk)

ADV:
Add Omanyte(?)
Add Meditite(?)
Not sure on their current status but they're listed as "being tested" here http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/adv-little-cup.3516575/#post-5708750 as of April 2015.
GSC Scy and ADV Oma + Medi are banned, yeah. Jiggly and Marill I corrected, though~

Thanks a bunch for double-checking me ^.^

Lavos

Banned deucer.
According to the General Tourney Rules & Guidelines, Freeze Clause is only a thing for Gen 1 so we can nix that.
It appears that this is the case. However, for as long as I can remember I've challenged/been challenged in GSC OU with Freeze Clause enabled, including in official matches for SPL/WCoP. This is on PO of course. Is Freeze Clause something worth revisiting? The thaw chance in doubled in all later gens iirc, being 10% in GSC. Additionally, thawing occurs at the end of the turn in GSC, instead of the start of the turn as in all later gens. This activates on a switch, so sending in a Frozen Pokemon gives it a 10% chance to thaw on the switch itself.

Another factor to take into consideration is that a mere 5 moves have the capacity to freeze in GSC, and of those 5, only Ice Beam and Ice Punch are commonly used (I've seen Blizzard maybe twice, Tri Attack zero times, and everything that learns Powder Snow also gets Ice Beam/Blizzard). The moves themselves have a 10% chance to freeze, except Tri Attack, which is 6.67%.

Going quickly down the viability rankings, the Pokemon which have the capability to use a move that could induce freeze are: Cloyster, Gengar, Nidoking, Suicune, Tyranitar, Vaporeon, Machamp, Miltank, Starmie, Blissey, Dragonite, Porygon2, Rhydon, Clefable, Kangaskhan, Muk, Quagsire, Tentacruel, Alakazam, Jynx, Smeargle, Ampharos, and Ursaring.

Of those, the Pokemon which commonly use a Freeze-inducing move in their standard rotations are: Cloyster, Gengar, Nidoking, Suicune, Dragonite, Porygon2, and Jynx.

Do we think this is significant enough to enable Freeze Clause? I understand the reasoning for it in RBY. You can't thaw, and thus one Freeze can be completely gamechanging, let alone several. Obviously this is true to a lesser degree in GSC, yet "a chance" is definitionally infinitely better than the "no chance" situation that being Frozen in RBY puts the player in.

Given the number of GSC purists who frequent these discussions, I'm not expecting this to go anywhere, but it would be nice to think about.

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
ill defend freeze clause in rby until the death of days, and i always challenge with freeze clause on in gsc - but i dont mind if it were to go. freezes in gsc are very rare due to the comparative lack of ice beam/blizzard, and i have never seen two freezes happen in the same game. i prefer to have it on but yeah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)