Competitive team for a new player? Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to play pokemon a lot like 8-9 years ago nowhere near as big as it is now ofcourse. I recently found a server on minecraft about pokemon and decided to try it out and it's amazing so far, tons of old pokemons, I'm not up to par with all the new gen pokemons and such so I'm not sure up to what gen the server is.

However I would love to get some help from experienced people to make a proper team, theres 2-3 pokemons that I absolutely love and would love to make a team around them(Keep in mind I'm a complete noob when it comes to making teams and competitive play, there are no restrictions either, no banned pokemons etc).

Tyranitar
Semi shitty IVS
EVS: 255 atk 180 SPD and 77 HP

Salamance
IVS: 26 26 31 28 31 31
EVS: 255 ATK 1 Defence 3 SP Defence 252 SPD

Rayquaza

Don't have one yet but I'll be getting it soon.

PS: There's no leagues so feel free to mix every type of pokemon you remember to make a great team around these 3 if you can please! Feel free to use legendaries!

PS2: The server's pokemons only go up to Groundon/Kyogre!

Last edited:

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello, this part of the forums is usually dedicated for competitive simulated play either on the commonly used pokemon simulators like Pokemon Showdown! or on the actual carts. Minecraft is not really a proper simulator that is used for competitive play because of pretty big mechanical differences to what we play and a completely different focus and approach to the game. If you want to know more about "our" approach to the game you could check out the Smogon Info and Intro Hub, I am sure the people there can give you better advice on your questions.

We also do have a place to discuss games like minecraft in our social parts of the forum, you will probably get more useful advice there than here too.

Onto your question though: Building a competitive team can be a very complicated process and there are many approaches to it. One rather simple way is just to try to let your teammembers cover the weaknesses of each other. Take a look at your team so far. Rayquaza and Salamence both share a double ice weakness. You should definitely add a pokemon that resists ice. A steel type like Jirachi or Metagross would work very well there as Salamence/Rayquaza can also cover their weaknesses to Ground and Fire attacks. You can repeat this process until you got your 6 members covered and try to tweak your team to an optimum. What you should always have in mind is how your team wants to win. Do you want to set up Dragon Dance with Salamence to sweep the opponent's team? Ask yourself the question what Pokemon can hinder you from doing so. You want a way to get around sturdier Pokemon with high defense and you want a way to kill flying resists. A Dugtrio for example can trap rock and steel types and kill them off. A well rounded team usually always has bulkier pokemon that are able to switch into attacks of the opponent and turn the tempo of the game to your favor again. Snorlax would be a good example here as it can take many hits and strike back with powerful attacks, inflict paralysis to clear your way with Body Slam, lure in steel types with Fire Blast or take out problematic Pokemon with a Self-Destruct.
The possibilities here are endless and where would the fun be if you just copypaste someone elses team without even properly knowing how to use it. Experiment around, try different strategies, find out what support your pokemon need and adjust your team according to that.

I'm closing this tread since it is off topic here, for more questions please go to the places that I linked above. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)