Competitive Team Build Help

Recently I rejoined the pokemon community and have decided to return to the competitive circuit. I drafted a team, please leave any suggestions on how to fine tune it.

Bewear - Jolly Nature, Fluffy Ability, w/ Silk Scarf, 252 ATK, 252 SPD
* Drain Punch
* Swords Dance
* Shadow Claw
* Double Edge

Drifblim - Modest, Aftermath, w/ Weakness Policy, 252 Special ATK, 126 Special DEF, 126 HP
* Tailwind
* Shadow Ball
* Thunderbolt
* Baton Pass

Tentacruel - Calm Nature, Clear Body, w/ Black Sludge, 252 Special DEF, 126 Special ATK, 126 DEF
* Rain Dance
* Scald
* Haze
* Toxic Spikes

Mudsdale - Adamant Nature, Stamina, w/ Choice Band, 252 ATK 252 SPD
* Earthquake
* Heavy Slam
* Rock Slide
* Close Combat

Incineroar - Modest Nature, Intimidate, w/ Assault Vest, 189 Special ATK, 63 DEF, 252 Special DEF
* Dark Pulse
* Fire Blast
* U-Turn
* Fake-Out

Shiinotic - Bold Nature, Rain Dish w/ Leftovers, 126 Special DEF 252 Special ATK
126 DEF
* Spore
* Leech Seed
* Moonblast
* Giga Drain

Hey, first off welcome to the Pokemon community. It would be useful for us to know which format this team is made to compete in, particularly if this is a VGC team considering the VGC18 format has kind of wrapped up and VGC19 rules have been announced. Though looking at your team, I'm pretty sure this is a team for smogon singles (where it would be elligible for UU, though only one Pokemon is within that tier). Assuming that is the case, this is in the wrong section as this section is for VGC team building help. If you're unsure of the differences between formats, feel free to ask.

Regardless of what format this team is for, just for general formatting for the future it would be beneficial for us if you create the team using Pokemon Showdown's teambuilder and export the team from there, like so:

Mudsdale @ Choice Band
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 60 Def / 188 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Fake Out

Shiinotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 124 Def / 252 SpA / 124 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 124 Def / 124 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 124 SpD
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Baton Pass

Bewear @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Double-Edge

Again, regardless of what format you're playing in, your EV distribution is inefficient here. At level 100 (which is what level your Pokemon will be at in smogon formats, 50 in VGC), Pokemon's stats increase by 1 for every 4 EVs you put in that stat. So by giving a pokemon 126 EVs in a stat, because 126 isn't a multiple of 4 your stats won't be any higher than if you had only put in 124 EVs, essentially wasting 2 EVs. Because of this, every Pokemon on your team is wasting EVs (if you import that text in to showdown it will show that 4 or 8 EVs are remaining to be assigned to stats). In the grand scheme of things these EVs probably won't matter but it's a good thing to get right. Showdown makes this very simple as it only allows you to put EVs in multiples of 4. There's also the fact that the EV spreads seem pretty random. They aren't really thought out to allow your Pokemon to live certain attacks or hit particular damage thresholds. In singles that's less of a problem as more often than not you would use 252/252/4 EV spreads in the relevant stats, but in doubles formats more meticulous spreads are often used for a particular team. Just a general rule of thumb, for bulkier spreads that want to live hits from both the physical and special side, it is generally more efficient to invest in HP rather than splitting between defence and sp.def.

I'm sure you have plenty of questions so if you want me to explain anything more in detail just reply here or feel free to pm me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)