Color Change->Trace=?

I'm not 100% sure if this is an error or not, but I figured I might as well ask.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
Shoothemoon sent out Yuki (lvl 100 Froslass ?).
CalmMars sent out Kecleon (lvl 100 Kecleon ?).
Kecleon used Shadow Sneak.
It's super effective!
Yuki lost 26% of its health.
Yuki used Taunt.
Kecleon fell for the taunt!
---
It's super effective!
Yuki lost 26% of its health.
Yuki used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
---
It's super effective!
Yuki lost 29% of its health.
Yuki used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
---
Princesspower has entered the room.
bored watcher has entered the room.
Shoothemoon switched in Bell (lvl 100 Blissey ?).
It doesn't affect Bell...
Kecleon's taunt wore off!
---
Kecleon is tightening its focus!
Bell used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Kecleon used Focus Punch.
It's super effective!
Bell lost 57% of its health.
---
Bell used Seismic Toss.
Kecleon lost 31% of its health.
Kecleon became the Fighting type!
Kecleon used Dizzy Punch.
Bell lost 12% of its health.
---
Princesspower has left the room.
Bell used Seismic Toss.
Kecleon lost 31% of its health.
Kecleon used Dizzy Punch.
Bell lost 14% of its health.
Bell became confused!
---
Kecleon is tightening its focus!
Shoothemoon switched in Sofiya (lvl 100 Gardevoir ?).
Sofiya traced Kecleon's Color Change!
Kecleon used Focus Punch.
It's super effective!
Sofiya lost 100% of its health.
Shoothemoon's Sofiya fainted.
Sofiya became the Fighting type!
---
bored watcher has left the room.
Shoothemoon: Wait what.
CalmMars: what what
Shoothemoon: I don't understand what just happened.
CalmMars: i destroyed you via focus punch
Shoothemoon: How was FP super effective?
CalmMars: dont know
Shoothemoon: D:
Shoothemoon switched in Cheerio (lvl 100 Togekiss ?)...

And on commenced the rest of the battle.
Does Color Change turn the pokemon into a normal type when it's traced? That's the only logical explanation I can come up with. Even so, I'm not sure if that's how Color Change functions in the real game or not. Can someone confirm this?

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Kecleon was changed to fighting type due to being hit by Seismic Toss, so when it used Focus Punch again it got STAB, couple that with Gardevoir's base 65 defense and it's not too surprising that Gardevoir got 1HKO'd really.

But why exactly did it state it was a super effective hit?

EDIT: Also, I just used the damage calculator. Even assuming CB Kecleon had an Adamant nature, it still would not have been a 1HKO.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes you are right, it would appear that Tracing Colour Change turned Gardevoir into the Normal type. I have no idea if this is normal game mechanics however, sorry.

Let me try.
So... Gardevoir versus Kecleon. When Gardevoir switches in, it gets Color Change, right? Nothing has hit Gardevoir, so I would assume it would actually be either the Original (PSYCHC/FIGHT) or the Weird (???)... or Normal. "Wait, Normal? What?" If we were programming Pokémon (yeah right) then we wouldn't want Kecleon to be able to hold on to it's type (UNFAIR) so we change it to Normal, Kecleon's original type. "Hmmm... How about we have it go to the Pokémon's original type instead of Normal automatically?" Color Change cannot set a type to a Dual. Can YOU name a dual-type move? Me neither.
---
I tried. I failed, but I tried. If anyone has any questions one what I just said, keep them to yourself, because I can't answer them.

Let me try.
So... Gardevoir versus Kecleon. When Gardevoir switches in, it gets Color Change, right? Nothing has hit Gardevoir, so I would assume it would actually be either the Original (PSYCHC/FIGHT) or the Weird (???)... or Normal. "Wait, Normal? What?" If we were programming Pokémon (yeah right) then we wouldn't want Kecleon to be able to hold on to it's type (UNFAIR) so we change it to Normal, Kecleon's original type. "Hmmm... How about we have it go to the Pokémon's original type instead of Normal automatically?" Color Change cannot set a type to a Dual. Can YOU name a dual-type move? Me neither.
---
I tried. I failed, but I tried. If anyone has any questions one what I just said, keep them to yourself, because I can't answer them.
I'm having trouble making sense of this as well. All I can say is that Gardevoir isn't a dual type. You're probably thinking of Gallade. Gardevoir is pure psychic.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't read the last few sentences. >_< My bad.

What I think happened was that when Gardevoir switched in, it only traced Kecleons Color Change ability and became Normal-type, and it would only Trace the ability and regular non-Color Changed type that Kecleon is, which is Normal-type. That's why Focus Punch was super effective. Gardevoir became what Kecleon's original typing is, and did not Trace the Fighting-type change therefore becoming Normal-type and getting hit for super effective damage and STAB by the Color Changed, Focus Punching Kecleon.

Agreed though, not sure if this is a glitch on Shoddy or can actually happen in-game. It'd be interesting to test out and see if it follows the same method as this (which I think will be the same and this is not a glitch as to me as it makes perfect sense).

~ Aether Nexus

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
color Change, along with Multitype forces the uses base typing into normal by default. This is normal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)