SV OU Clodsire: The Meowscarade (Balance)

This is my first RMT but was excited to get thoughts on my first real go at a team in S/V.

Scream Tail @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Wish

Scream tail doesn't have much going for it offensively and I'm really bad at utilising dual screens (it's other obvious build), so I went for a Rocks Lead/Mid-Late Wish pivot. Gave it boots to help keep getting it in as it's my most reliable check to Roaring moon, Great Tusk and the like, and put enough EV's into speed to make sure I can gleam the latter if it stays in for some chip. Not sure why I set tera type to steel but in all honesty I don't use it on this mon much anyway.

Clodsire @ Black Sludge
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Earthquake
- Gunk Shot
- Recover

I wanted spikes to help wear things down for whoever was gonna be the main win con and also something that had decent bulk. Clodsire seemed the best choice, though I tossed between this and Ting- Lu for a bit but eventually settled on Clod to help take on water types better. I didn't think I needed toxic much so slapped gunk shot on, but after being walled by an Orthworm I think there's probably a better choice, maybe Body Press? Water Tera just for dodging eq's from opposing Clod's and the paradox Don's amongst others if needed so I can get some EQ chip of my own whilst living a hit.

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Torch Song
- Slack Off

I initially really wanted to make a throat spray Skeledirge set work but it's just too slow to reliably do so without trick room I feel. Arguably I could've turned this into a trick room team at this point and honestly it could still function as one and might even work better with the amount of super fast threats introduced this gen along with returns of Dragapult & Weavile. But regardless, I wanted to keep it more simple for my first go and so settled on what I feel is gonna be a fairly standard unaware/will-o set. 12 Speed beats uninvested Corv so I can threaten with torch song and the rest in defense to try challenge some of the physical focsued mons as I felt I had good special walls at this point.

Meowscarada @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Meowscarada is the main win con of the team with great speed and attack and great STABs in Flower trick and knock off. I think I prefer Banded over life orb as I only really go into this to hit big and then switch out into something chunky to keep it healthy. Sucker punch on there to check non scarfed Dragapults as I feel it's one of the more threatening things at the moment. I kept protean for STAB u-turns but I think overgrow could be decent too for big flower tricks after it's worn on a bit, though as mentioned I try not to pivot through it much.

1669665301900.jpeg

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Gholdengo keeps hazards up to help Meow secure kills more often, blocking spin and defog with good as gold. Thunderbolt and electric tera as a last ditch Corv check, could go focus blast maybe for other Steels but I think I'm decently well equipped for them so far. Not much else to say on this guy his job is pretty straigthforward.

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

There's limited options right now for good hazard removal so I went Corv as I feel it's still a top tier mon. Rocky Helmet is honestly there for Maushold and I don't think I desperately needed lefties with both roost and wish. Corv is a great slow pivot too so I can threaten mons with Meow who hit's most things pretty hard with one of its three types. Ideally I'd have liked a spinner to support the hazard stack a bit more and I think the closest bet it probably Great Tusk if so.

I think I know where things could be improved after a little testing (mentioned briefly after some mons) but I'm not confident I can keep it more towards balance in doing so which is probably my most comfortable play style.

Paste

That’s a really cool team! I’m definitely going to cop the scream tail set ;) but i think chi-yu is a massive problem for the team, although it’s also a problem for most teams lol.

3d

継続は力なり
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
hi very nice team. at first glance this team seems very weak to chiyu as since specs 2hkos clodsire upon terastilizing, this team lacks any real way to deal with it, especially since it loves to come in on double switches against corviknight, goldengho, and skeledirge. because scream tail is this teams only dark resist, an ideal chiyu matchup would allow it to be able to sponge fire attacks to some degree, which it cannot which is the main flaw with this team.

:clodsire: -> :ting-lu: with that being said, i suggest going with spdef ting-lu over clodsire. with the recent ban of iron and bundle, having a ground type with water absorb has become much less important. with that being said, spdef tinglu provides this team with a very solid pivot into chiyu's dark pulse and provides a way to punish chiyu clicking dark pulse. by being able to set spikes and whirlwind pokemon out this will make clicking dark pulse much less favourable for opposing chiyus. it also takes fire moves well enough to the point where they simply cannot just spam dark pulse after getting one play right, which they could previously do when the only dark resist was scream tail.

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Ruination
- Spikes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)