Clefable (0/3)

I'm scared of my own shadow
Overview
########
  • Unaware allows it to check dangerous set-up sweepers such as GeoXern and Ekiller
  • Decent bulk allows it to take on Yveltal/Lati
  • Wish-passer
Support
########
name: Support
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Moonblast
ability: Unaware
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Calm

Moves
========
  • Wish and Protect is for recovery, as well as stalling out low PP moves like Palkia's Hydro Pump
  • Toxic for passive damage, and works well in conjunction with Protect
  • Moonblast so you aren't Taunt-bait and can damage Yveltal as well as breaking Xerneas' Substitutes

Set Details
========
  • Max special bulk to take on Xerneas and Yveltal better
  • Leftovers for passive recovery, especially with Protect

Usage Tips
========
  • Clefable fits well on balanced or stall teams that require a check to Xerneas and Yveltal haha Klefki doesn't get recovery
  • Also beats CM Arceus, except Steel
  • Can pass wishes if it doesn't need it

Team Options
========
  • A Ho-Oh of your own can be used to take on Steel-types, as well as Mega Gengar
  • Pursuit Trapper such as Scizor to eliminate Gengar
  • Arceus-Ground to take on PDon
  • Defog support from the likes of Arceus formes or Mega Scizor
  • Latias can check both Primals

Another Support
########
name: Another Support
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Moonblast
ability: Unaware
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========
  • Wish and Protect is for recovery, as well as stalling out low PP moves like Arceus' Extremespeed
  • Toxic for passive damage, and works well in conjunction with Protect
  • Moonblast so you aren't Taunt-bait (and can do some dmg to Darkceus? does so little tho)

Set Details
========
  • Max physical bulk allows it to take on SD Arceus-formes
  • Rocky Helmet can be used to punish stuff I guess, but the Leftovers recovery is better appreciated
  • A Relaxed nature with 0 speed IVs can be used to take Gyro Balls better, but you can't do anything back and will likely be Toxic'd.

Usage Tips
========
  • Use on balanced or stall teams that need a check to SD Arceus formes, as well as the Eon duo and M2X
  • Can pass wishes

Team Options
========
  • Pursuit Trapper such as Scizor to eliminate Gengar
  • A Ho-Oh of your own can be used to take on Steel-types, as well as Mega Gengar
  • Defogger such as Arceus formes or Mega Scizor again
  • Arceus-Rock can also take on Ho-Oh
  • Latias can check both Primals

Other Options
########
  • Heal Bell
  • Calm Mind (Should this be slashed for allowing Clef to beat Darkceus, something stall is usually weak to)
  • Thunder Wave
  • Stealth Rock
  • Moonlight
  • Shed Shell???

Checks & Counters
########
  • **Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Scizor, Mega Metagross, Klefki and Dialga can easily take a Moonblast or Toxic and retaliate with a super effective Steel attack, or set up on it.
  • **Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar can trap it with Shadow Tag and Taunt it to prevent recovery, rendering Clefable helpless.
  • **Fire-types**: Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh can easily take a Moonblast, and easily 2HKO or OHKO with their STAB attacks. They have to be wary of a Toxic, however.
  • **Entry Hazards and status**: Passive damage can prevent Clefable from doing its job

Last edited:
and yet you've already written "Another Support" which is a physically defensive set.

this is only for the specially defensive set, not for clefable as a whole as there is a physically defensive set
yeah it's wip, sweep asked me to write up a physically defensive set which wasn't there when I wrote those, but thanks

I was under the impression that +SpD Clefable was considered mostly inferior to the +Def spread, although this was before OR/AS. Furthermore, it seems silly to have two sets that are completely identical except for the EV spread when both are fulfilling support roles. Maybe do physical spread with the +SpD one as an alternate?

[I'd appreciate someone else's opinion on this idea.]

Also, the Clefable picture + your caption = lol

I was under the impression that +SpD Clefable was considered mostly inferior to the +Def spread, although this was before OR/AS. Furthermore, it seems silly to have two sets that are completely identical except for the EV spread when both are fulfilling support roles. Maybe do physical spread with the +SpD one as an alternate?

[I'd appreciate someone else's opinion on this idea.]

Also, the Clefable picture + your caption = lol
The main sellingpoint of specially defensive is that it can handle GeoXern without prior damage on Clef, which a physically defensive spread cannot achieve:

252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Unaware Clefable: 252-297 (63.9 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Clefable: 178-210 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

though it fails to wall E-Killer, it has its definite mertits over the physically defensive variant (which can´t wall offensive P-Don and Mega Salamence even with max Def:
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 207-244 (52.5 - 61.9%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery,
252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 241-285 (61.1 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)

thus i think specially defensive is kinda more universally usable, since it also stops any common CM Arceus (CM Arc-Ghost, Arc-Dark, Arc-Fairy etc), even if they run full offensive investment:
252 SpA Zap Plate Arceus-Electric Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Unaware Clefable: 157-186 (39.8 - 47.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not really seeing the use in SpD Clefable, tbh. Boosting special attackers that Clefable attempts to counter tend to fall into three categories:
- You lose to it anyway: Kyogre, Xerneas
- Is better served with a physically defensive set: Lati@s, Mewtwo (latter falls under "losing to it" anyway)
- You wall even with a physically defensive spread: Darkceus, Ghostceus, etc etc

Last edited:
I agree, SpD Clefable is inferior the Def set. The only thing it's really beating is Yveltal, CM Arceus, and GeoXern, but I think that's enough to merit a set? I'll just move it down for now, unless other QC members feel that it should be removed altogether.

CyberWolf, status on this?

Slash Calm Mind with Toxic for the special defense set so Clef doesn't get outstalled; it also decreases the chance of Xerneas Haxing its way by you. Second slash please. I want Heal Bell to get a slash somewhere. maybe in the Toxic / Calm Mind slot. Toxic is tempting and good, but I rarely can afford to run it when I use Clefable. Phys def set should also slash Heal Bell with Toxic, although keep Calm Mind in moves only because that Clefable variant has a hard time switching directly into Judgments.

Heal Bell should be moved from OO to moves for both sets, and mention Flamethrower in OO.

QC 1/3

also reassigning lel, this user is inactive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)