Done Clause warning for moves

Status
Not open for further replies.
(mainly for sleep clause)
i propose that an warning be added to moves that might activate a clause, mainly for new players who may not have been paying attention or don't even know what clauses are. originally I thought that the move should be un-useable but that was scrapped quickly.

crappy image displaying what it might look like.
suggestion image.png

(im not good at making these)

adding to this i suggest that an explanation of the sleep clause appear in the pop up that appears when you hover over the move (somthing like 2 pokemon on the opponents team cannot be asleep at the same time, excluding rest). as well as this perhaps the opponents pokemon (could just use the menu sprite)

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Actually, players already get an explanation of relevant clauses at the beginning of any given battle:
1666915039318.png

In AAA it's Sleep Moves Clause, but in most other metas it would be "Sleep Clause Mod" with an explanation of how it works.

I can't speak on adding a warning to moves in terms of actually coding it in, but I will note that if we're talking about newer players as is, moves already have loads of information written in their hover text and "MAY ACTIVATE SLEEP CLAUSE" won't actually mean anything to someone who doesn't even know what that is yet (and might even deter them from clicking their moves out of fear). In practice, trying to put multiple Pokemon to sleep and then getting the activation message that explains it is a pretty effective, although admittedly more punishing way to learn.

E: Maybe players can get a link to this article explaining Smogon-wide clauses upon triggering one instead? Dunno how much that would really help if they don't see the explanations plastered at the top of every new battle, but just an idea

Last edited:

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
This sort of logic has been discussed in various different Policy Review threads (see recent example), not as a warning for players, but to more closely align to how Sleep Clause would be enforced on modern generation cart games (that is, you can't click a sleep move if you've already put one opponent's Pokemon to sleep). That sort of logic would need to be implemented server-side though, not client-side.

Clause explanations at the top of the battle naturally get overlooked, because you're focused on the opponent's team or the Pokemon immediately in front of you on your screen, not the text in the top-right. Linking to outside stuff mid-battle is also ripe for problems, where a player clicks an article, forgets they were in a battle, and gets timed out because they were reading that (remember we're keeping new players in mind here).

I think the simplest solution is just to re-print what the Sleep Clause Mod does when it gets triggered (if it even needs a "solution"). I am heavily opposed to handholding people in suggesting what moves they should click. Even granted that Sleep Clause Mod isn't a cartridge interaction, we don't handhold interactions on anything else. We don't say "hey, don't click Fake Out after turn 1!", or "hey, don't click a sleep move here in Electric Terrain on this grounded target!" or "hey, don't use Poltergeist here, they don't have an item!" or any other number of moves that can fail. Understanding how the format works is a part of playing Pokemon.

Last edited:

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Approving in a modified form. Whoever works on this should add a -hint for when Sleep Clause activates. Changing it so the button is disabled would require a policy review thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)