BSS Chien-Pao

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributor
a very literal sabrecat

[SET]
RUINOUS ATTACKER (Chien-Pao) @ Focus Sash / Life Orb / Choice Band
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Level: 50
Tera Type: Ice / Dark / Ghost / Electric
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch / Throat Chop
- Icicle Crash / Ice Spinner
- Ice Shard / Sucker Punch / Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword / Tera Blast / Swords Dance

[SET COMMENTS]

* With its high Attack and Speed, and incredible ability in Sword of Ruin, Chien-Pao is one of the strongest physical attackers in the game.

**Crunch vs Throat Chop**: Crunch’s Defense drop can allow Chien-Pao to potentially break through bulky foes, while Throat Chop disables the use of sound-based moves, greatly improving its matchup with Pokemon like Skeledirge and Sylveon.

**Icicle Crash**: While Ice Spinner is perfectly accurate, Icicle Crash’s higher power and flinch chance makes it the preferred attack. Additionally, not being a contact move allows Chien-Pao to avoid unnecessary chip damage from Rocky Helmet users.

**Ice Shard vs Sucker Punch**: Ice Shard is more consistent, while Sucker Punch offers higher power at the cost of necessitating prediction.

**Sacred Sword**: Sacred Sword provides coverage for Pokemon that resist Chien-Pao’s STAB attacks, like Kingambit, Tinkaton, and other Chien-Pao. Additionally, ignoring defense boosts allows Chien-Pao to deal more consistent damage to foes like Garganacl.

**Swords Dance**: While it can be difficult to fit and very reliant on Focus Sash, Swords Dance boosts Chien-Pao’s Attack to unwallable levels, making it a very potent sweeper.

[OTHER OPTIONS]

**Ice Spinner**: Ice Spinner can be used as a more consistent Ice STAB, however it is lacking in power and makes Chien-Pao more vulnerable to Rocky Helmet users.

**Sheer Cold**: While it may seem alluring, Sheer Cold is a waste of a slot on Chien-Pao, as its standard attacks already hit most relevant foes. Even if Chien-Pao fails to KO a foe, it will generally leave it within range for a teammate.

Tera Types
==========
**Tera Dependency - Very Low**: Chien-Pao offers power in spades without needing to Terastallize, only needing it on very rare occasions to break past specific walls or dodge priority moves aimed at it.

**Ice**: Tera Ice can allow Chien-Pao to finish foes off with Ice Shard from higher ranges and makes Icicle Crash an even more formidable tool.

**Dark**: Tera Dark boosts Sucker Punch to extreme power levels while making Crunch nearly impossible to switch into without a resistance.

**Ghost**: Tera Ghost offers no offensive benefit, but it allows Chien-Pao to dodge Dragonite’s Extreme Speed, which can be particularly useful if using Swords Dance.

**Electric**: Tera Electric can be used in tandem with Tera Blast to improve Chien-Pao’s matchup against key threats such as Dondozo and Azumarill while also making it immune to paralysis.

[CREDITS]
Written by
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/derpysux.528485/
Quality checked by
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/theorymon.29010/
Grammar checked by
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/ut.523866/

Last edited:

DerpySuX

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributor
I merged SD into the set since you can change a lot around between the two and also lazy

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gonna check this now! Also, yes omastar68 is correct, Crunch has a 20% chance to drop Defense! Granted, highlighting the move on the dex will show that so you can just mention the defense drop if you want.

- I think we miiight actually have to slash SD in. I noticed this on cart and home seems to back this up: it seems like there's been a SURGE in SD usage. Like, Swords Dance actually has higher usage than Throat Chop, Crunch, and Tera Blast, which is sorta crazy lol. It's probably because SD Sash can be a pretty good win condition!

B6DCCC4F-A46A-4ECA-85DC-37B9349F9DBF.png

- So to solve this without making an SD set (because I do agree that SD pretty much plays the same unlike a lot of set-up sets), maybe this could work:

[SET]
DEPRAVITY (Chien-Pao) @ Focus Sash / Life Orb / Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Sacred Sword
- Crunch / Throat Chop / Swords Dance

- Ice Spinner can go into other options because Icicle Crash is a lot more common. Another big point in Icicle Crash's favor is that its not a contact move, so Chien-Pao won't lose its sash against Rocky Helmet / Garchomp, so I'd certianly bring up that aspect!

- For SD, I think I'd mention that you mostly use it on Sash, because otherwise its very difficult to set up.

- Life Orb is super common (its the 2nd most common item at almost 20% usage), I'd certainly slash that in. We might not need an items section because they're all obvious offensive items, but if you do that, I guess you could focus on damage calcs or something.

- I think it's worth mentioning that Sucker Punch revenge kills Choice Scarf Gholdengo, who can make Chien-Pao fairly miserable otherwise.

- Sheer Cold is probably worth a mention in Other Options, its uncommon because Chien-Pao can just break through most walls anyways but... it does have a shot of ruining Dondozo's day without Terastallizing lol

DerpySuX

Gonna check this now! Also, yes omastar68 is correct, Crunch has a 20% chance to drop Defense! Granted, highlighting the move on the dex will show that so you can just mention the defense drop if you want.

- I think we miiight actually have to slash SD in. I noticed this on cart and home seems to back this up: it seems like there's been a SURGE in SD usage. Like, Swords Dance actually has higher usage than Throat Chop, Crunch, and Tera Blast, which is sorta crazy lol. It's probably because SD Sash can be a pretty good win condition!

View attachment 506974

- So to solve this without making an SD set (because I do agree that SD pretty much plays the same unlike a lot of set-up sets), maybe this could work:

[SET]
DEPRAVITY (Chien-Pao) @ Focus Sash / Life Orb / Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Sacred Sword
- Crunch / Throat Chop / Swords Dance

- Ice Spinner can go into other options because Icicle Crash is a lot more common. Another big point in Icicle Crash's favor is that its not a contact move, so Chien-Pao won't lose its sash against Rocky Helmet / Garchomp, so I'd certianly bring up that aspect!

- For SD, I think I'd mention that you mostly use it on Sash, because otherwise its very difficult to set up.

- Life Orb is super common (its the 2nd most common item at almost 20% usage), I'd certainly slash that in. We might not need an items section because they're all obvious offensive items, but if you do that, I guess you could focus on damage calcs or something.

- I think it's worth mentioning that Sucker Punch revenge kills Choice Scarf Gholdengo, who can make Chien-Pao fairly miserable otherwise.

- Sheer Cold is probably worth a mention in Other Options, its uncommon because Chien-Pao can just break through most walls anyways but... it does have a shot of ruining Dondozo's day without Terastallizing lol
oh I was initially gonna do sd as it’s own set and then decided to merge them and forgot to slash it back in LOL

Will add these changes, though I personally believe sheer cold is a waste on Pao as even if you don’t break something you’ll always leave it in range of a teammate

UT

No, I’m not coming to my senses
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
add remove conjecture
[SET]
DEPRAVITY (Chien-Pao) @ Focus Sash / Life Orb / Choice Band please us a descriptive set name
Jolly Nature
- Crunch / Throat Chop

[SET COMMENTS]

* With its high Attack, Speed, Attack and Speed and incredible ability in Sword of Ruin, Chien-Pao is one of the strongest physical attackers in the game.

**Crunch vs Throat Chop**: Crunch’s chance to drop the opponent’s Defense drop can allow Chien-Pao to potentially break through something it might otherwise not beat bulky foes, while Throat Chop disables the use of sound-based moves, greatly improving its matchup with Pokemon like Skeledirge and Sylveon who rely on sound-based attacks.

**Icicle Crash**: While Ice Spinner is perfectly accurate, Icicle Crash’s higher power and flinch chance makes it the preferred attack. Additionally, not being a contact move allows Chien-Pao to avoid unnecessary chip damage from Rocky Helmet users.

**Ice Shard vs Sucker Punch**: Ice Shard is more consistent, while Sucker Punch offers higher power at the cost of necessitating prediction.

**Sacred Sword**: Sacred Sword provides coverage for Pokemon that can resist Chien-Pao’s STAB attacks, like Kingambit, Tinkaton, and other Chien-Pao. Additionally, ignoring any defense boosts allows Chien-Pao to deal more consistent damage to foes like Garganacl.

**Swords Dance**: While it can be difficult to fit and very reliant on Focus Sash, Swords Dance boosts Chien-Pao’s Attack to unwallable levels, making it a very potent sweeper.

[OTHER OPTIONS]

**Ice Spinner**: Ice Spinner can be used as a more consistent Ice STAB, however it is lacking in power and makes Chien-Pao more vulnerable to Rocky Helmet users. this is slashed in the main set and explained above, should this still be here at all?

**Sheer Cold**: While it may seem alluring, Sheer Cold is a waste of a slot on Chien-Pao, as it has no trouble breaking through most things with standard attacks its standard attacks already hit most relevant foes. Even if it fails to KO something, it will almost always be left in range of a teammate, so fishing for OHKO hits is ill advised. Even if Chien-Pao fails to KO a foe, it will generally leave it within range for a teammate.

Tera Types
==========
**Tera Dependency - Very Low**: Chien-Pao offers power in spades without needing to Terastallize, only needing it on very rare occasions to break past specific walls or dodge priority moves aimed at it.

**Ice**: Tera Ice can allow Chien-Pao to finish foes off with Ice Shard from higher ranges and makes Icicle Crash an even more formidable tool.

**Dark**: Tera Dark boosts Sucker Punch to extreme power levels while making Crunch nearly impossible to switch into without a resistance.

**Ghost**: Tera Ghost offers no offensive benefit, but it allows Chien-Pao to dodge Dragonite’s Extremespeed Extreme Speed, which can be particularly useful if using Swords Dance.

**Electric**: Tera Electric can be used in tandem with Tera Blast to improve Chien-Pao’s matchup against key threats such as Dondozo and Azumarill while also making it immune to paralysis.

[CREDITS]
Written by [[DerpySuX, 528485]]
Quality checked by [[Theorymon, 29010]]
Grammar checked by [[,]]
Written by:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user1.100/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user3.102/
Grammar checked by:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/ut.523866/ make sure to use the new credits formatting
GP 1/1!

GP Team done

DerpySuX

add remove conjecture
[SET]
DEPRAVITY (Chien-Pao) @ Focus Sash / Life Orb / Choice Band please us a descriptive set name
Jolly Nature
- Crunch / Throat Chop

[SET COMMENTS]

* With its high Attack, Speed, Attack and Speed and incredible ability in Sword of Ruin, Chien-Pao is one of the strongest physical attackers in the game.

**Crunch vs Throat Chop**: Crunch’s chance to drop the opponent’s Defense drop can allow Chien-Pao to potentially break through something it might otherwise not beat bulky foes, while Throat Chop disables the use of sound-based moves, greatly improving its matchup with Pokemon like Skeledirge and Sylveon who rely on sound-based attacks.

**Sacred Sword**: Sacred Sword provides coverage for Pokemon that can resist Chien-Pao’s STAB attacks, like Kingambit, Tinkaton, and other Chien-Pao. Additionally, ignoring any defense boosts allows Chien-Pao to deal more consistent damage to foes like Garganacl.

[OTHER OPTIONS]

**Ice Spinner**: Ice Spinner can be used as a more consistent Ice STAB, however it is lacking in power and makes Chien-Pao more vulnerable to Rocky Helmet users. this is slashed in the main set and explained above, should this still be here at all?

**Sheer Cold**: While it may seem alluring, Sheer Cold is a waste of a slot on Chien-Pao, as it has no trouble breaking through most things with standard attacks its standard attacks already hit most relevant foes. Even if it fails to KO something, it will almost always be left in range of a teammate, so fishing for OHKO hits is ill advised. Even if Chien-Pao fails to KO a foe, it will generally leave it within range for a teammate.

Tera Types
==========

**Ghost**: Tera Ghost offers no offensive benefit, but it allows Chien-Pao to dodge Dragonite’s Extremespeed Extreme Speed, which can be particularly useful if using Swords Dance.

[CREDITS]
Written by [[DerpySuX, 528485]]
Quality checked by [[Theorymon, 29010]]
Grammar checked by [[,]]
Written by:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user1.100/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user3.102/
Grammar checked by:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/ut.523866/ make sure to use the new credits formatting
GP 1/1!

GP Team done
Changes made!
i actually didn’t mean to have depravity as the set name LOL, I just copied over the chien pao set I was building with at the time to serve as a baseline, and my name for it happens to be depravity. I changed it to a more appropriate name now!

Theorymon I haven’t taken my markdown test yet so you’ll have to upload it for me one more time lol

• Haha
Reactions: UT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)