ORAS Ubers Checkmate [semi-stall peak 1723]

Heyo, my name is Toshhy and I am a competitive Uber battler and team creator. I'm going to be taking a break from competitive Pokemon battling as I will be turning 19 years old next year. Because of this I thought it would be a good time to hang up one of my more successful teams.

Team Preview

This semi-stall team wins by utilizing the synergy of its defensive core to either break down the opposing team or pressure the opponent to make mistake by meticulously checking each threat presented by them. This would either wear the opponent down slowly or open them up for Primal Groudon to sweep late game.

I give this team to one of my friend who plays Pokemon, Umade to use and he did pretty well with it. Below are some replays, unfortunately they are logs as he couldn't get the video replay because it was down at the time.

http://pastebin.com/HFfsZVxF - this is against the_steve_man who brought a Ho-oh balance team. I thought Umade did a great job getting Rayquaza in on the obvious Ho-oh switch which at that point secured the win.

http://pastebin.com/eVEy7SBe - this is against kingmidas who brought a typically Deoxy-S Hyper Offense. Kindmidas was unable to get up any hazard before he let his Deoxy-s died which at that point Umade had already won.

The premise of this team is checking, as its name implies. The user don't need to predict most of the time against a lot of teams as any double the opponent pull will make them lose more then they gain. There are common offensive cores that a lot of team use which has a hard time breaking the defensive core of this team, so in a way, it is kind of anti-metagame.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-195596532 - this is a video replay I found of Umade going against a pretty good RMT team I saw on the forum, I believe he uses a team from a user name Edgar. This shows the common Groudon, Xerneas, Latias has a hard time breaking the core of this team and there is no threat on the opponent team left unchecked by Umade.

Teambuilding

Physically defensive Yveltal is one of my favorite Pokemon to use. I built this team when Mega Rayquaza was still around, so it was getting hammered sometime but still was a reliable defensive Pokemon even during that period.

Next we have Mega Rayquaza because stall, HO, balance all used it, it had no opportunity cost and is the best Pokemon.

We need something to check one of the most threatening set up sweeper in Uber, Xerneas, so Jirachi was added.

An answer to Kyogre was needed. Primal Groudon fits the bill, providing offense to this stall team and can possibly be a back-up answer to Xerneas, although most time, Jirachi is enough.

A specially defensive Xerneas was added to compliment the physically defensive Yveltal.

Lastly, we needed an answer to Primal Groudon, a deffoger, and backup physical threat check. Groundceus kills three birds with one stone and glue this team together.

Mega Rayquaza got banned from Uber so Mega Salamence replaced it.

Unfortunately, Mega Salamence lack of priority hurt the team so regular Rayquaza replace. Earlier version of the team used DD Rayquaza, but later version used Banded Rayquaza.

In-depth Analysis

Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Roost

Physically defensive Yveltal is a great Pokemon this generation especially with the removal of Mega Rayquaza. Its primary job is to check Ekiller and Mega Salamence so with the aforementioned threats still alive, the user should conserve Yveltal health. Yveltal should not be switching into Primal Groudon. Taunt is for stall-breaking and along with the wall-breaker Rayquaza it helps to break down stall teams. Physical offensive stacking can wear this bird down, as so it receives help from Will-O-Wisp which we will go into details later.

Rayquaza @ Choice Band
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
Banded Rayquaza is an extremely effective wallbreaker. The original version used DD Rayquaza, however, it didn't really had much opportunity to set up and didn't had enough power to KO Ho-oh and Kyogre, the former present a significant threat to the team if not dispose of quickly. Rayquaza can also be a switch in to Kyogre water moves. I learn from Umade that this can be used to lead against Darkrai, hitting it with ES, sacking it to sleep and switching to Xerneas. Originally, I played against Darkrai by going straight to Xerneas which was ineffective. Although, this team play very safely, this is one Pokemon in the team that you need to play with aggression. Generally, you want to double it in on Ho-oh and Kyogre, OHKOing both if they decide to stay in, if not, it will wreck whatever switches in.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Healing Wish
With the popularity of Latias, Latios, and Xerneas, it is no wonder that Jirachi makes a great special wall and utility Pokemon. Jirachi lures in Ho-oh which gives you an opportunity to pull a double to Rayquaza. Ho-oh is generally a Pokemon that takes advantage of as much switch-ins as it can get, thus, the user should pivot Jirachi out of obvious Ho-oh switch-in. Jirachi can also take a Fire Blast from Mewtwo and cripple it with a twave. It can take predicted Ice Beam from Kyogre aimed at Primal Groudon (although for some reason it gets frozen alot :( ). Healing wish is very nice to bring back what you need but use it only when Xerneas and Lati@s are gone.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Claw
- Overheat
Primal Groudon is a very good late game sweeper, being able to switch in to evaporate Kyogre water move makes it even better. Once the opponent team has been wear down by the defensive core, Primal Groudon can pull off a RP and sweep. You want to conserve the health of Primal Groudon if possible, it is not meant to switch into things to take unnecessary damage as the defensive core handles that already. As such a more offensive spread is used for max power and max speed.

Xerneas @ Leftovers
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Aromatherapy
One of the sturdiest member of the team, Xerneas is here to take special moves. It wears down opposing Primal Groudon with Moonblast which is good as Primal Groudon has no reliable recovery. Aromatherapy is vital to this team, curing any detrimental status effects and is one of the main reason for this team's success against balance and stall.

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Recover
Lastly, we have the glue of the team, a well played Groundceus can stay alive for the duration of the match. Since a lot of teams uses Primal Groudon for their SR, Groudceus is good at getting hazard off asap, threatening Primal Groudon with a OHKO. During the early days of ORAS, I suggested the viability of Will-O-Wisp Groudceus, although it was not accepted by most of the other users who said CM Groudceus was far superior, I believed otherwise and Wisp Groundceus turned out to be a very effective Pokemon for this team as well as other teams that people have asked me for help on. Wisp Groudceus helps against teams that stack physical threats such as, Mega Salamence + Ekiller which can wear down the physical defensive wall Yveltal. A lot of common core such as Pdon + Physical Sweeper are really annoyed by this set, pretty much a bane to common built.

Importable

Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Roost

Rayquaza @ Choice Band
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Healing Wish

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Claw
- Overheat

Xerneas @ Leftovers
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Aromatherapy

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Recover

Replays

Thanks for reading, please leave a rate.

Last edited:
This team is absolutely battered by Ho-oh. Half the team gives it free switch ins and and once the Groudon set is revealed then it has another target. Most sets here are very inefficient, Groudon having no way to threaten Ho-oh which already is unbearable for your team to handle, Jirachi having no Wish to retain health when checking Latis, CB Ray come to mind. However, even by straightening out some of these issues your team looks weird. RP Don+Ray wants it to be HO, but Jirachi/sdef Xern and def Yveltal wants it to be balance.

Due to the Jirachi set being used, Latis can be potential threats with CM+Draco sets depending on how they are played.

Mega Gengar can disrupt your core as you you have 2 mons weak(ish) to it while nothing realy apprectiates switching in on the initial turn of mega evolution, especially with SR up. It seems very possible to weaken Jirachi and get a Xerneas sweep by setting up on Yveltal since Groudon hasn't got the evs to stop it.

Rest+ST+Ice+Scald defensive (standard) Kyogre also seems like a big issue, your Groudon won't last long at all and sure you can force a healing wish to make it last longer but then you sacrifice Jirachi. A Kyogre like that walls Groundceus and Jirachi, can take a hit for Rayquaza and Groudon, is not bad vs your Xerneas and can kinda check Yveltal as well. It seems like a big pain to beat. In general, due to not having Wish on Jirachi, your team doesn't appreciate playing against any Pogre variant due to your Groudon being frail.

A lot of these issues are somewhat solved by Wish Jirachi as mentioned already, but you still have a weakness to Mega Gengar+Xern and Ho-oh that will be inherent from your structure. I guess something like Toxic on Jirachi could help by putting a timer on Ho-oh, and maybe Sucker Punch on Yveltal to help a bit with Gengar can work as well, but in the end changes like those are just band aid, and it is the structure that brings down the full potential of Jirachi+pDon. Thanks for sharing though, and good luck!

Nice picture, is there a reason for the 56 spa evs in ground cues?
thanks, its to do more damage to pdon.

This team is absolutely battered by Ho-oh. Half the team gives it free switch ins and and once the Groudon set is revealed then it has another target. Most sets here are very inefficient, Groudon having no way to threaten Ho-oh which already is unbearable for your team to handle, Jirachi having no Wish to retain health when checking Latis, CB Ray come to mind. However, even by straightening out some of these issues your team looks weird. RP Don+Ray wants it to be HO, but Jirachi/sdef Xern and def Yveltal wants it to be balance.

Due to the Jirachi set being used, Latis can be potential threats with CM+Draco sets depending on how they are played.

Mega Gengar can disrupt your core as you you have 2 mons weak(ish) to it while nothing realy apprectiates switching in on the initial turn of mega evolution, especially with SR up. It seems very possible to weaken Jirachi and get a Xerneas sweep by setting up on Yveltal since Groudon hasn't got the evs to stop it.

Rest+ST+Ice+Scald defensive (standard) Kyogre also seems like a big issue, your Groudon won't last long at all and sure you can force a healing wish to make it last longer but then you sacrifice Jirachi. A Kyogre like that walls Groundceus and Jirachi, can take a hit for Rayquaza and Groudon, is not bad vs your Xerneas and can kinda check Yveltal as well. It seems like a big pain to beat. In general, due to not having Wish on Jirachi, your team doesn't appreciate playing against any Pogre variant due to your Groudon being frail.

A lot of these issues are somewhat solved by Wish Jirachi as mentioned already, but you still have a weakness to Mega Gengar+Xern and Ho-oh that will be inherent from your structure. I guess something like Toxic on Jirachi could help by putting a timer on Ho-oh, and maybe Sucker Punch on Yveltal to help a bit with Gengar can work as well, but in the end changes like those are just band aid, and it is the structure that brings down the full potential of Jirachi+pDon. Thanks for sharing though, and good luck!
Hello, I already explained how one should approach Ho-oh with this team in my original post. Nevertheless, Ho-oh is still a threat to this team much like a lot of teams hence is why I put it in my threatlist. http://pastebin.com/HFfsZVxF - this is against the_steve_man who brought a Ho-oh balance team. I thought Umade did a great job getting Rayquaza in on the obvious Ho-oh switch which at that point secured the win. Against Ho-oh this team needs to play Rayquaza aggressively, simply as that and not reveal your Pdon set too soon.

It is semi stall team.

Jirachi can wall Latis all day, it's not a problem. I am using the specially defensive set. It can twave it rendering it useless. Not to mention I also have specially defensive Xerneas.

Jirachi does a good job of dealing with xern.

Due to the aforementioned not being a problem most time, is why Pdon is running it's offensive spread.

Yes, Mega Gengar is an issue. Which is why I was pro stag ban.

I wouldn't say kyogre is a "big" issue. 2 checks in ray and pdon in addition to specially defensive xerneas and jirachi.

For obvious reasons, toxic is not a good answer for Ho-oh.

Wish seems like a good idea and I will look into it.

Thanks for the rate!!

Last edited:
Hey Toshhy,
I really like ur build! Like Hack mentioned you are very weak to the Gengar+Xerneas. Of course there are many or the most teams weak to this combo. To fix this weak, I would suggest you to run Sdef Groudon and skip your offensive set. Furthermore I don't get the idea of Ray. What I would suggest you to do is using Scarf Ho-OH with Sleeptalk. Banded would work as well, but your team should have some speed. With adding Sleeptalk you can fodder Ho-Oh to Darkrai and fire off moves with Sleeptalk. Scarf lets you outspeed Darkrai, Mewtwo and Mega Gengar. The reason, why this set work, is the surprise factor, because nobody expects that. In my opinion it would be better to use Arceus Rock over Ground because Birds seem to be annoying. My last point is using U-turn on Jirachi to get the momentum.

Ho-Oh @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Brave Bird
- Sleep Talk
- Sacred Fire

Groudon @ Red Orb
Trait: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:
Hey Toshhy,
I really like ur build! Like Hack mentioned you are very weak to the Gengar+Xerneas. Of course there are many or the most teams weak to this combo. To fix this weak, I would suggest you to run Sdef Groudon and skip your offensive set. Furthermore I don't get the idea of Ray. What I would suggest you to do is using Scarf Ho-OH with Sleeptalk. Banded would work as well, but your team should have some speed. With adding Sleeptalk you can fodder Ho-Oh to Darkrai and fire off moves with Sleeptalk. Scarf lets you outspeed Darkrai, Mewtwo and Mega Gengar. The reason, why this set work, is the surprise factor, because nobody expects that. In my opinion it would be better to use Arceus Rock over Ground because Birds seem to be annoying. My last point is using U-turn on Jirachi to get the momentum.

Ho-Oh @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Brave Bird
- Sleep Talk
- Sacred Fire

Groudon @ Red Orb
Trait: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Thunder Wave
Hey thanks for the rate sorry for the late reply was busy.

Banded Ray is to punish the things that like to switch into jirachi namely ho-oh. As well as just hitting hard, able to possibly switch into kyogre and threaten.

Scarf Ho-oh seems like a very good idea and I will definitely try it out. Given how groundceus remove hazards very easily in a meta where groudon is the primary sr setter, you are correct that ho-oh can work in this team.

U-turn jirachi is nice on paper but as the person above you mentioned wish is also a viable choice. Furthermore the need of sr, twave and iron head as well as having the nice healing wish gives uturn alot of competition for a slot. Lucky there are obvious things that like to switch into jirachi like the aforementioned ho-oh thus this can be a place where double switching and predicting work as well.

replaced v-create/surf on ray with waterfall bc it is better.

need some suggestions for pdon ev spread and take a look at groudceus spread.

What do you mean with "double it" when you say: " Generally, you want to double it in on Ho-oh and Kyogre,"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)