Online Competition Champion League

It looks like one last online competition for Galar, themed around what the anime is doing at the time. Unless they go Ultra Final-tier for next month in honor of Series 13.

champion league.png

3v3 singles, with the rule stated as "You can only use Pokemon that were used by one of the Champions you could battle in previous games." Let's break that down:

Blue - Alakazam, Rhydon, Exeggutor, Arcanine, Gyarados, Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, plus the Yellow exclusives Sandslash, Cloyster, Magneton, Ninetales, Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon. Heracross and Tyranitar, which you only face on his team via FRLG rematches, also seem to be credited to him and are both allowed. Pidgeot can't go to Galar at all, so it isn't included in the list. A now-fully-evolved Magnezone isn't allowed either, but as for a now-fully-evolved Rhyperior...keep reading.
Lance - Aerodactyl, Dragonite, plus Charizard and Gyarados which are already accounted for above. Tyranitar could be credited to Lance's Stadium 2 team, but I doubt that's the case because Steelix would also come from that same team, and isn't on the list. However, HGSS rematches bring in Salamence and Altaria, both of which are allowed (along with one other Pokemon that's more correctly associated with Cynthia).
Steven - Skarmory, Claydol, Aggron, Cradily, Armaldo, and Metagross, plus Carbink which he only has in ORAS rematches
Wallace - Wailord, Tentacruel, Ludicolo, Whiscash, Milotic, and yet another Gyarados
Cynthia - Spiritomb, Roserade, Gastrodon, Lucario, Garchomp, plus the Platinum exclusive Togekiss, and Milotic which is already accounted for. Eelektross, Braviary, and Glaceon from her Unova appearances aren't allowed (remember, her appearances there are as "Pokemon Trainer Cynthia" rather than "Champion Cynthia"). Unlike Blue, Lance, and Steven, the new Pokemon exclusive to Cynthia's highest-level BDSP rematch team (Porygon-Z) is not allowed, because BDSP do not count as "previous games" from Sw/Sh's perspective.
Alder - Accelgor, Bouffalant, Druddigon, Escavalier, Vanilluxe, and Volcarona
Iris - Hydreigon, Lapras, Archeops, Haxorus, plus Aggron and Druddigon already accounted for
Diantha - Hawlucha, Tyrantrum, Aurorus, Goodra, and Gourgeist. Note that her signature Pokemon (Gardevoir) is NOT allowed under the originally released rules file, perhaps because you always face it as a mega in those games, but won't be able to give it the same justice yourself in a game where mega stones don't exist.
[EDIT Sep. 15] This was apparently just an oversight, and the rules file has now been edited to make Gardevoir usable after all, with a week of advance notice before the competition starts so you at least have some time to plan around it in teambuilding.
Leon - Aegislash, Dragapult, Mr. Rime, Seismitoad, Rhyperior, Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon, plus Haxorus already accounted for, as well as...uh did you hear Leon has this really cool Charizard? It's even right there in the graphic for the comp, so there's no way you can get lost!

The unique structure of the Alola league ("You are the inaugural Champion," rather than "You beat the Champion") means they don't consider any trainers there worthy of eligibility, and you don't get to use Incineroar and such. And in another dig at how non-canonical LGPE is, Trace is also not counted (otherwise Vileplume, Marowak, Rapidash, and Slowbro would all be usable.)

Battles go from September 23-25, or in US time, the evening of the 22nd-24th.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow, not quite sure where to begin with in this tournament! So... here's some neat looking Stealth Rockers for now. With Gmax Cinderace being around, slicing some of its health off might be important!

Garchomp - No Landorus-T around, so I fully expect Garchomp to be in its glory days of versatility.

Rhyperior - Rhyperior can totally set up SR or do its Sash Metal Burst stuff! However I sorta feel like its better off Dynamaxing for some teams.

Skarmory - This makes sense as a dedicated SR mon, and it can help against Garchomp. Not really sure stall is possible with these limited mons, but there's always Custap Sturdy shenigans (watch out for Gmax Fireball!)

Aggron - The pool of mons is so constricted that maybe it'll make more sense with Custap Sturdy stuff, with the bonus of doing some decent damage before going out against Gmax Cinderace. Aggron's Rock typing might actually help it here for once, I imagine you can EV it to survive LO Gmax Fireball!

Anyways, some other random "I just woke up and had my coffee" thoughts.

Cinderace- Gmax Cinderace sounds like its gonna be nuts! I fully expect this to be the dominant Dynamaxer in the format!

Dragonite: Dragonite sounds like another scary Dnyamaxer, and its match up against Gmax Cinderace is probably better than most other stuff in this format lol.

Togekiss and Gyarados: With so many Max Airstreamers yeeted, I wonder if these two will make a comeback? At the very least, Gyarados has a decent match up with Cinderace, so I'm pretty interested in that!

Dragapult: Its the fastest thing that matters! I imagine Dragapult can be as annoying versatile as it was in the old days of BSS, with crippler sets, Dynamax sets, and Focus Sash nonsense all being on the table!

Kanto Starters: I know this is 3v3 so their Gmax moves aren't quite as crazy, but I wonder about their viability. In particular, I wanna try out Shell Smash Blastoise, I wonder if the smaller pool of mons will work in its favor.

Playing a bit on ladder, some quick thoughts:

Togekiss is the King of this Meta, especially since Rock, Steel, Electric, Ice are limited in this Meta: Basically, Metagross, Aegislash, and Tyranitar are the best answers, and Togekiss can beat all three of Flamethrower, Nasty Plot, Dazzling Gleam, and Air Slash. Other solid Pokemon include, Garchomp, Dragonite, Cinderace, Rillaboom, Dragapult, Gyrados and Milotic.

Because of all the fast Pokemon like Thunder Wave Tyranitar and Dragapult have become quite common.

Inteleon and Dragapult are the only two Dual Screen users, and while I've been using the former, the latter is probably better due to its support moves.

On a funnier note, I've been using Focus Sash Tyrantrum. While it may seem inferior to Garchomp and Dragapult, one advantage is that its the only Dragon Type that can hit Togekiss with Super Effective STAB. Rock Tomb and Scale Shot give it good speed control options and it has Stealth Rock as well, allowing it to support the team either as a lead or an emergency check. It can even live Jolly Dragapult Dragon Darts with a Draco Plate with correct investment, and even without much attack investment, Rock Head Head Smash really hits hard. Also Steel types are rare in this Meta, so its STABs have very good neutral coverage.

Clas

om majors 2nd place, in 0 om opens r3 (god gamer)
is a Tiering Contributor
I've gone ahead and cleared up the list of legal Pokemon for helping with teambuilding, by Champion and then by type. Note that both lists order by National Dex number.
Blue
:venusaur::blastoise::charizard::Sandslash::Ninetales::Arcanine::Alakazam::Magneton::Cloyster::Exeggutor::Rhydon::Gyarados::Vaporeon::Jolteon::Flareon::Heracross::Tyranitar:

Lance
:Charizard::Gyarados::Aerodactyl::Dragonite::Altaria::Salamence::Garchomp:

Steven
:Skarmory::Aggron::Claydol::Cradily::Armaldo::Metagross::Carbink:

Wallace
:Tentacruel::Gyarados::Ludicolo::Wailord::Whiscash::Milotic:

Cynthia
:Milotic::Roserade::Gastrodon::Spiritomb::Garchomp::Lucario::Togekiss:

Alder
:Vanilluxe::Escavalier::Accelgor::Druddigon::Bouffalant::Volcarona:

Iris
:Lapras::Aggron::Archeops::Druddigon::Haxorus::Hydreigon:

Diantha
:Tyrantrum::Aurorus::Hawlucha::Gourgeist::Goodra:

Leon
:Charizard::Rhyperior::Seismitoad::Haxorus::Aegislash::Rillaboom::Cinderace::Inteleon::Mr. Rime::Dragapult:

:heracross::Escavalier::Accelgor:

:tyranitar::spiritomb::hydreigon:

:dragonite::altaria::salamence::garchomp::druddigon::haxorus::hydreigon::goodra::dragapult:

:magneton::jolteon:

:togekiss::carbink:

:heracross::lucario::hawlucha:

:charizard::ninetales::flareon::volcarona::cinderace:

:charizard::gyarados::aerodactyl::dragonite::skarmory::altaria::salamence::togekiss::archeops:

:spiritomb::aegislash::gourgeist::dragapult:

:venusaur::exeggutor::ludicolo::cradily::roserade::gourgeist::rillaboom:

:sandslash::rhydon::whiscash::claydol::gastrodon::garchomp::rhyperior::seismitoad:

:lapras::cloyster::vanilluxe::aurorus::mr. rime:

:bouffalant:

:venusaur::tentacruel::roserade:

:alakazam::metagross:

:rhydon::tyranitar::aggron::cradily::armaldo::rhyperior::tyrantrum::aurorus::carbink:

:magneton::aggron::metagross::lucario::escavalier::aegislash:

:blastoise::tentacruel::cloyster::gyarados::lapras::vaporeon::ludicolo::wailord::whiscash::milotic::gastrodon::seismitoad::inteleon:

Last edited:
I've gone ahead and cleared up the list of legal Pokemon for helping with teambuilding, by Champion and then by type. Note that both lists order by National Dex number.
Blue
:venusaur::blastoise::charizard::Sandslash::Ninetales::Arcanine::Alakazam::Magneton::Cloyster::Exeggutor::Rhydon::Gyarados::Vaporeon::Jolteon::Flareon::Heracross::Tyranitar:

Lance
:Charizard::Gyarados::Aerodactyl::Dragonite::Altaria::Salamence::Garchomp:

Steven
:Skarmory::Aggron::Claydol::Cradily::Armaldo::Metagross::Carbink:

Wallace
:Tentacruel::Gyarados::Ludicolo::Wailord::Whiscash::Milotic:

Cynthia
:Milotic::Roserade::Gastrodon::Spiritomb::Garchomp::Lucario::Togekiss:

Alder
:Vanilluxe::Escavalier::Accelgor::Druddigon::Bouffalant::Volcarona:

Iris
:Lapras::Aggron::Archeops::Druddigon::Haxorus::Hydreigon:

Diantha
:Tyrantrum::Aurorus::Hawlucha::Gourgeist::Goodra:

Leon
:Charizard::Rhyperior::Seismitoad::Haxorus::Aegislash::Rillaboom::Cinderace::Inteleon::Mr. Rime::Dragapult:

:heracross::Escavalier::Accelgor:

:tyranitar::spiritomb::hydreigon:

:dragonite::altaria::salamence::garchomp::druddigon::haxorus::hydreigon::goodra::dragapult:

:magneton::jolteon:

:togekiss::carbink:

:heracross::lucario::hawlucha:

:charizard::ninetales::flareon::volcarona::cinderace:

:charizard::gyarados::aerodactyl::dragonite::skarmory::altaria::salamence::togekiss::archeops:

:spiritomb::aegislash::gourgeist::dragapult:

:venusaur::exeggutor::ludicolo::cradily::roserade::gourgeist::rillaboom:

:sandslash::rhydon::whiscash::claydol::gastrodon::garchomp::rhyperior::seismitoad:

:lapras::cloyster::vanilluxe::aurorus::mr. rime:

:bouffalant:

:venusaur::tentacruel::roserade:

:alakazam::metagross:

:rhydon::tyranitar::aggron::cradily::armaldo::rhyperior::tyrantrum::carbink:

:magneton::aggron::metagross::lucario::escavalier::aegislash:

:blastoise::tentacruel::cloyster::gyarados::lapras::vaporeon::ludicolo::wailord::whiscash::milotic::gastrodon::seismitoad::inteleon:
You forgot Aurorus for Rock.

Question to whoever implemented this on Pokemon Showdown: would it much work to filter away any pokemon not legal in this format from the teambuilder? For example, if I choose the tier "champions league" in the teambuilder, and sort pokemon by BST, Zacian appears first, despite being illegal. If I do the same in a more established tier, like UU, only UU eligible pokemon show up. I notice this often happens with smaller, temporary tiers, like online competitions.

I don't know how much work it takes to activate this function, but if it's only a single line of code, I'd appreciate if it could be changed :) If it is much work, by all means, leave it as it is :)

On-topic: Lapras is really annoying to play against. Super effective coverage against pretty much everything. Moxie users also benefit from Lando-T's absence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)