Car Crash?

Yesterday was a pretty life changing experience for me. For the first time in my life (14 years old), I was in a car crash. Thankfully, nobody was badly hurt. In our truck (Ford Expedition), all 6 of us, my parents, brother, and sisters, were all fine. It was still, however, an experience I'll never forgot. We were on our way to Mexico and about 1 hour from home we got in this crash. The whole day it had been windy and when we were driving a sandstorm hit the highway and when we stopped, a few cars ahead of us crashed, and us, without knowing, were going to pull over and stop but we joined in the collision. So discuss car crashes that you've been in.

When I was a kid (in primary school), my dad and I had a car crash while he was driving to school, but thank God, nothing bad happened (just a dent to the car IIRC).

My brothers had been in several car crashes, though minor ones.

A major one is the one that happened to my cousin and her friend (who was driving), got into a bad car crash. Resulting in injuries on the driver and my cousin dying eventually (she didn't die in the car crash itself, but did in the hospital).

this is a pretty timely topic, because this morning i woke up to the news that three guys i went to school with died in a car crash last night. it's on the front page of the bbc:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-12097905

prety shaken up by it. just that surreal feeling of "this sort of thing never actually happens to people you know", but ive known these guys (even if i wouldnt say i was friends with them) for years.

really makes you think about how fucking dangerous driving is. ive always been the kind of guy whos super careful crossing roads and shit like that, but this kind of thing makes me pretty nervous about learning to drive myself.

BIG loven

Not so little anymore
I have been rear ended before and the impact from just a little bump was way more then I ever expected. I couldn't imagine how painful it would be to get in a real car crash. Good to hear your not dead btw :)

I've never been in a car crash...but apparently my grandpa was born one day early becasue his mom got in a car crash on the way to a hospital and the stress put her into labor. O_o When my brother was driving me and my siblings around he decided it'd be funny to swerve into different lanes and ignore stop signs. Thought I was gonna get in a crash but we didn't. Didn't get a ticket either. :P

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I once were in a car crash with my mother, 2 little cousins and grandparents. Thankfully nothing happened to me, but a lot of glass shards penetrated into my grandfather's skin (who was driving). It was so bad that he had to operate, but thank God he's alive now. It's a bad experience to tell the truth, and can give nightmares for some time.

Driving in a sandstorm sounds nuts, is the visibility comparable to a heavy rain or anything?
I was about eight when my dad and I were pulling into the driveway. He suffered a major heart attack and we smashed through the garage door. I still remember his hand clutching the clutch, the shattered windshield and all the debris. I made it inside to the phone and called my mom.
No experiences with collisions involving other cars, but it was still quite scary. I'm just thankful he had that heart attack near the house and not out on the road. I don't think he'd have survived otherwise.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
The first time I ever experienced a car wreck was whilst I was NOT in a car. My sister and I were young; I was in 4th grade she was in 2nd, and we were standing at our bus stop. It was right on the corner of an intersection, and basically what happened was that someone had stopped right in front of us going east (picture us at the corner facing forward across the road, and we'll call that 'north') and then another person going south coming from the north completely failed to stop at the stop sign while the other person went, as they should have. The women who failed to stop was fucking like, doing 40 through the little neighboard so she slams into the guy trying to cross, and basically send both of them grinding and screeching towards the stop sign, right next to where my sister and I are standing.

I was too in shock just watching the situation to jump out of the way, a feeling I can only imagine was felt double for my younger sister, but another girl Dani who shared the bus stop with us yanked both of us out of the way by our backpacks a few seconds before one of the cars completely bent the stop sign out of the ground by hitting it. I remember telling my class eventually when we got to school, and crying because I was still so shaken up about it.

Other than THAT, one time my boyfriend of sophomore year picked me up from school, turn out of my driveway and didn't see the girl coming, so they bumped front bumpers and shit, we pulled over, nbd. What was FUNNY was that she was crying hysterically, and stammered something like "This was my first day driving to school!!!" Haha, poor girl.

that's all that comes to mind

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Let's see...
When I was really young my dad didn't look where he was going, rear-ended another car at the lights at about 40 mph, causing a massive back-jam/pile up of a grand total of 7 cars (lol)
a few years ago in france my dad lost control on some icy road in Calais and we hit a tree

about august last year I was hit by a car. ended up fracturing my left ankle and bruising my right arm pretty bad. I also caused major damage to the car (more damage than the car caused me, anyway).

@ SMZ, sorry about that death.

@ Cartoons! It was mostly just wind but a windstorm passed right in front us and nothing was visible.

Bad stuff happening :/

last december I was rear ended twice within 1 month. Both were deemed 100% non fault on my part, just stupid fucking drivers. My neck, shoulder and sometimes face hurt from the injury I sustained. It blows cause I was just recovering from a back injury and then some fuckbag drug dealer hits me from behind at high speed.

Meanwhile, the second one to hit me was a hot woman. She was engaged though, otherwise it's entirely probable that she would have fallen in love with me.

this is a pretty timely topic, because this morning i woke up to the news that three guys i went to school with died in a car crash last night. it's on the front page of the bbc:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-12097905

prety shaken up by it. just that surreal feeling of "this sort of thing never actually happens to people you know", but ive known these guys (even if i wouldnt say i was friends with them) for years.
My experiences are similar to this. I had a friend who I used to talk to regularly at school. We were second cousins but didn't really know each other as relatives, it was more friendship through school. She died in a car crash when she was 14. I remember the next day and the first day at school afterwards, and the whole experience is probably going to live with me forever, it's the first ridiculously tragic thing that's happened in my life. My old school tutor was also killed, he had left to teach in Bahrain. After his first couple of months, he came back over the Christmas break. He was in a car crash on the way to the airport to go back to Bahrain, and sadly died. These two are the only real "experiences" I've had, and both have unfortunately been incredibly saddening.

Stoo said:
really makes you think about how fucking dangerous driving is. ive always been the kind of guy whos super careful crossing roads and shit like that, but this kind of thing makes me pretty nervous about learning to drive myself.
I agree, since passing my driving test about a month ago, I've already noticed loads of idiots on the road, and it really angers me to think that people drive like they do and don't really think about it. The man driving the car (who was messing about) that killed the girl I was talking about is already back on the roads, only four years later. Sure makes you wonder.

A few months ago, two kids my age, 16 and 17 I think, were driving and died in a crash. Their families and the two of them were very prominent in our religious community and it hit us pretty hard. They were driving a Porsche, and spun out of control on a dry day on a highway and hit a wall. I remember passing by the spot of the crash a few days later, and seeing the remaining signs and just shuddering.

A friend of mine also died about three weeks ago. I wasn't too close, but I did eat lunch with him a few times and used to see him usually every week. I don't know the details of the crash, and I was unable to attend the funeral.

I'm not sure if this came off as a pity post, but it's more of a "driving is hella dangerous" type thing. I'm usually extremely cautious when I drive for this reason, if I have a car that kind of encourages me to drive fast.

this is a story that happened to my buddy:
we were walking to AandW for lunch, he croses the road and gets hit by a car. he was fine but he dented the car, however the driver didn't notice. We decided not to tell the driver in case we got in shit and then we just ran back to school. turned out the guy was a local radio host, and another person in our school heard that on the morning show he was talking about my friend calling him a stupid teenager and such. he looked for him but never found him. so yeah

This is probably unrelated but.. I was on a airplane once and my family was travelling between countries. So during the plane ride there was some problem with the engines, so the plane suddenly went swooping down. That was extremely scary for me. Eventually the plane managed to find control and luckily nobody got hurt except one man who broke his leg or something.

I still remember that event.

Never been in a car crash, thankfully. Had a few cycle crashes. First time ever on a bike (so about 10 or something) I hit railings, cut my forehead open and ended up taken to hospital in an ambulance. Couple years ago I ran into an artexed wall and cut my hand open, hurt like hell but no serious injury.

My mum was in a car crash, probably about a decade ago now, from which she suffered whiplash injury to her shoulder, which caused chronic pain for years. She wasn't driving, and it wasn't the driver's fault. Never got any compensation from anyone, this was before the personal injury lawyers became really big business.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I still remember that event.
really now?

closest i ever got to getting hit was getting a ride to the airport from one of my friends. turns out, not 5 minutes later they get t-boned on the way out the airport. really sucked for them, but luckily it was a rental and had insurance.

"profound statement about how a really minor thing totally changed my life"

i was on my way to a superbowl party nd this other guy ran a light so we crashed. and we were really mad because we had to go al the way back home and we had to take different cars that had no gas.
also nobody got hurt from the wreck

theangryscientist

angry, not mad
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
My parents, sister and I were heading to my grandmother's house for Mother's Day when some idiot crossing the highway failed to see us coming and slammed into the side of our SUV. Thankfully, he was going pretty slow at the time and there were no serious injuries. Both of the vehicles, however, were totalled.

I was in a car crash several years ago; it was actually a life-changing incident, though thankfully there were no fatalities. A moron was speeding and just as my grandmother's van began to trundle over the give way line, it was approaching us. I didn't notice what was happening (the passengers [mom, grandmother, me] were all arguing and I was saying something angry), but apparently my mother did. My mother turned around to look at me in the last second and she was visibly frightened, and then the car hit us. It went black for a moment and then my eyes were opened and there was the shattering noise and everything and I was scared as hell 'cause I could hear my mother screaming for my grandmother.

I think I might've blacked out for a moment, because I found out after the accident that the first impact pushed us into a parked car on the side of the road, and we bounced back (not literally bounce but) into a hedge on the corner of the road. My grandmother had passed out and my mother was freaking out, but I was in shock so I was calm. We were in a strange town but fortunately we managed to crash a block away from a hospital and some off-duty nurses were just cruising back from it when they saw what happened. My mother has post traumatic stress disorder (even worse because of this) and was going absolutely berserk. They had to cut my grandmother out because her door got ruined. My grandmother was kept in for observation for a night but was alright, except she was quite sore for awhile so we had her stay with us. My mother had nothing wrong with her physically, well, ostensibly, but years later she's been going through a difficult case claim that is finally over, because they've been slowly finding a lot wrong with her bones that seems to have been caused by the crash, it's quite crazy, as well as psychologically.

no one csb that means you whistle

Nothing happened to me physically except my glasses fell off, because we'd pulled over awhile ago and I'd gotten out. Then I had gotten back into the van but been too lazy to slide over to the side I was previously sitting in. If I had been sitting on that side (driver's), I would have taken the full impact of the first hit and possibly been quite hurt, since it slammed mostly into the passenger seat. Emotionally I am still very jumpy and anxious around cars since it was scary as hell and I tend to get frightened when someone is driving, particularly my father since he drives erratically. My mother goes through the same thing; she will never sit in the passenger seat again because of it. She sits in the back seat instead. Despite the injuries to my mother, we were very lucky to not sustain anything worse and I'm thankful for that. Fuck the idiot speeding (we never saw him/her again).

While that crash really sucked, nobody died and for that I am just so so grateful. I am really sorry to hear about those of you who have lost people :( PS fuck stupid drivers, it really makes me mad, not only are you threatening your own lives but everyone else's. Their prerogative to piss away their own lives if that's what they want, but they aren't the only people on the road. By the way this is highly topical in general since Christmas/New Years holiday period always has a higher incidence of car crashes, particularly fatal ones :/

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I am really sorry to hear about those of you who have lost people :( PS fuck stupid drivers, it really makes me mad, not only are you threatening your own lives but everyone else's. Their prerogative to piss away their own lives if that's what they want, but they aren't the only people on the road.
Agreed man.

I was driving home from a restaurant, and my mum was sitting in the passenger seat half asleep. I had my Ls (learner/beginner dunno what you call it elsewhere) and I thought I was doing pretty well. I drove extremely carefully, kept my cool ect.

But.

I was coming to a stop at an intersection. A really cute girl crossed the road in front of me, and I kinda got distracted, misjudged the distance to the car in front and bumped him. There were no scratches or anything, but it gave my mum a hell of a shock.

Quite recently I was in a pretty scary situation. The university dorms are located right across a small street from campus. There is a light that lets the students pass, and I always insist to my girlfriend that we should wait for the red, just in case. Well on this day we waited for the red light and a car came to stop; good right? Well as we were crossing the street so idiot decided to rear end the car that was stopped at the red just as we were passing in front of it. The car was moving relatively fast and managed to jolt the car forward into me and my girlfriend. Somehow I managed to shove my girlfriend out of the way before jumping out of the way myself. She had no idea what was happening, but I was completely shaken up by the accident. Nobody was hurt, luckily. Turns out the driver was texting...

Also when I was younger, my father, mother, sister, and I were in a pretty bad accident. We were waiting on a red light when all of a sudden a speeding car rear ends us. The crash knocked us into the other lane, hitting another car in the process. Another speeding car proceeds to ram into immediately after. Those jerks were having some sort of street race. To make things worse, both those guys were teenagers and one of them had his pregnant girlfriend in the passengers seat. No one was really hurt, although the whiplash left my father in pain for a few months.

Quite recently I was in a pretty scary situation. The university dorms are located right across a small street from campus. There is a light that lets the students pass, and I always insist to my girlfriend that we should wait for the red, just in case. Well on this day we waited for the red light and a car came to stop; good right? Well as we were crossing the street so idiot decided to rear end the car that was stopped at the red just as we were passing in front of it. The car was moving relatively fast and managed to jolt the car forward into me and my girlfriend. Somehow I managed to shove my girlfriend out of the way before jumping out of the way myself. She had no idea what was happening, but I was completely shaken up by the accident. Nobody was hurt, luckily. Turns out the driver was texting...

Also when I was younger, my father, mother, sister, and I were in a pretty bad accident. We were waiting on a red light when all of a sudden a speeding car rear ends us. The crash knocked us into the other lane, hitting another car in the process. Another speeding car proceeds to ram into immediately after. Those jerks were having some sort of street race. To make things worse, both those guys were teenagers and one of them had his pregnant girlfriend in the passengers seat. No one was really hurt, although the whiplash left my father in pain for a few months.
First story is why driving while on the phone/texting is illegal here... >_> Good thing you're okay, same with your girlfriend.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Let's see...
I think it was from when I just moved here to Miami, I lived in some apartment(I live in a house now.) I was born in Cuba, but now live in Miami. Any who, I was going to church one day in my dad's old white Toyota, when some drunk douche-bag just came out of nowhere and hit us in the little door that you put gas in. It was a really big dent, and my sister was sitting there. Fortunately, nothing was serious. I was little, about 5, so I was crying like crazy. I used to think hitting it there might cause the car to explode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)