Tournament CAPPL VII Policy Discussion

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So just to move discussion along a bit, mods have agreed that guaranteeing the 1st place team finals while having the 2nd and 3rd place teams play in a semifinal round is the format we want to go with. Managers will be allowed to buy themselves, and assistant managers will be picked from the pool of player signups at a price agreed upon by all other managers and ultimately the host. We're willing to try out having 7 weekly slots in the lineups, however we're also willing to amend this if the community consensus dictates otherwise.

In terms formats, it seems there's a general agreement that if given 7 slots, 3 of them should be SS and 2 should be SM. The last 2 slots, however, remain up in the air. I'd like a bit more discussion on a few items. With regards to the Bo3, a few people objected to having SS Bo3 altogether, while others pushed for a Bo3 All Gens. I'm fine with leaving out the SS Bo3, but Quziel did made a very valid point in showing how a Bo3 All Gens would help old gens players support each other. Both ORAS and Monotype received a good bit of support, while on the other hand the community seems to agree that DPP is not in a sufficient place to be featured in this tournament. I want to quickly bring up something Roxiee mentioned earlier in the thread. We are now at a point where there are two yearly CAP team tours, and having one feature CAP old gens like ORAS while the other has CAP OMs like Monotype would help distinguish the two. With all this in mind, I'd like for people to discuss the following options:
  • 3 SS / 2 SM / ORAS / Bo3 All Gens
  • 3 SS / 2 SM / ORAS / Monotype
  • 3 SS / 2 SM / 2 ORAS
Feel free to propose any alternatives, but I'd like for us to wrap up discussion on this quickly so we can move on to a few final items then start the tournament.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Small question for now since I'm mobile:
Will managers have to buy themselves in the first pick of the draft, or will that happen beforehand? Same goes for assmans.

Additionally, format wise I think having ORAS representation would be beneficial and I would be in support of having the next CAP team tour focus more on OMs. I like having a Bo3 All gens, but I understand that not everyone does. I think Quz's point of ensuring that the old gens players will have a consistent building mate is crucial. So either 2 ORAS, or 1 ORAS + 1 Bo3 All Gens is my favorite pick overall if we go to 7. Then when the next team tour, we can focus on monotype, 1v1, and other OMs with CAPs.

Dj Breloominati♬

born to play, forced to john
is a Top Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
dont have much to new to say other than a few add-ons to the above post.
  • in favour of comanager + manager prices being decided pre tour without the need for them to pick themselves r1. nothing to say really , just prevents any manager who wants to play from forgetting to pick themselves r1 and doesnt add much else
  • Not as fully clear as voltage upon the idea of mono being something we should explore for the next team tour , but share a similar sentiment. In support of bo3 > oras , because as pointed out earlier , it will ensure teammates working together better , and a better series to watch from an audience's perspective. The subtle idea of SM still having more representation than oras with the implementation of bo3 also satisfies me , though i can understand people who feel 4 ss games per week to be too much.
Minor query , in case of an oldgen bo3 slot becoming a reality , on what basis will the tier for game 1 be picked ? the two scenarios i can see are , ss being locked as g1 , or both the players collaborating and picking the first tier based on their wish , with the loser picking the tiers after. Id like to not have a mandatory ss g1 since it kinda moves away from the idea of an oldgen bo3 in my eyes , but we'd need a more rigid set of rules in case we go with the latter suggestion , considering the case where both players dont agree on tier 1.

Last edited:

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Generally speaking you lock SS as Game 1, then have the loser pick G2 gen, and then finish off with the last for G3. This ensures that prep goes smoothly, and prioritizes the development of the SS meta, and is traditional across most team tours. A few thoughts are that I'd like to ensure that Manager/AssManager prices are locked before draft (if every team has Man+AM). I favor the 6 slot I proposed before, but I would also support 3SS, 2SM, ORAS, Bo3 as honestly I think Bo3 games are some of the most fun to watch.

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alright, time for another quick update. I've been contacted by a TD saying that 7 slots is highly suboptimal for team tours since it greatly increases the chances of having to do a playoff tiebreaker. With this in mind, I will say that we will no longer be aiming to have 7 slots in CAPPL VII. Instead, I think given the number of player signups from our last team tour, it would be safer to have 6 slots instead of 8. However if there's a significant push for 8, this can be changed. Given this different number of slots, I want to change our format discussion to cover the following:
  • 3 SS / 1 SM / 1 ORAS / 1 Bo3 All Gens
  • 3 SS / 2 SM / 1 ORAS
With regards to Voltage's question, no one will have to buy themselves or their assistant managers in the first round of the draft. The manager and assistant manager prices will be resolved prior to the draft. Additionally, the procedure given by quziel is exactly how the Bo3 All Gens will operate if chosen.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm not overly enthusiastic on the idea of 1 Bo3 All Gens. By clinging to the bo3 format while also trying to resolve the issue of siloing formats, you've put a greater workload on Bo3 players and team builders (if teams even have that luxury). If you want to keep Bo3 as a spectacle for the tour, you're better off just having 1 Bo3 SS. There is less work no longer needing to become knowledgeable on multiple formats, less pressure making sure teams can support that player if they aren't also a team builder, and less stress if a Bo3 anchor needs a substitution. I will recommend 1 Bo3 SS / 2 SS / 2 SM / 1 ORAS if the majority of people want Bo3.

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The argument between Bo3 All Gens and Bo3 SS barely matters in my opinion. The Bo3 slot is gonna be filled up by either a) your strong tournaments player (see: Finch, Lunala, whoever else we trick into signing up) or b) your best CAP main (D2, Darek, Rabia etc). The former category will be simply passed teams because that's basically what you they signed up for, while the latter shouldn't have an issue with building for a CAP metagame they mostly know. I realise that the three generations aren't exactly the same and there is obviously different skill sets and player tendencies that make you better or worse between generations, hence why in OU you hear mostly of people maining a genereration rather than a tier. However, I sincerely think that picking Bo3 all gens is a better idea because it makes sure your old gens players are gonna be able to test with the bo3 slot and they both get experience in both the metagame and match-ups that way. If you go for Bo3 SS + 1 ORAS slot, the ORAS player is very likely to be left completely alone and only be able to challenge the manager(s), wheras with 3 SS / 1 SM / 1 ORAS / 1 Bo3 All Gens you avoid this issue.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Hopefully this at least leads to more representation of Monotype/BW/DPP CAP metagames in say, CAP Snake; I think it's definitely a good thing to let the PL focus on current gen and the other "official" CAP metagames but that giving the other ones a chance to feature players would be cool.

note that I include BW up there because I do think it's a little weird that we are developing DPP CAP and not BW CAP; this isn't an actual issue of course, but I think it'd be something cool to consider down the road

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)