Buff Process 4 - Buff Leader Signups

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
This is the thread for people to announce their desire to become the Buff Leader (BL) for this Buff Cycle. Do not suggest other users. If someone wants to become the Buff Leader, they will post on their own, and if they don't have a strong urge to be it then they shouldn't be signing up anyway. The CAP project requires the utmost dedication and a substantial amount of free time, especially to lead, meaning that only those who have carefully considered the magnitude of their application will apply at all. If you are not prepared to fulfill all of the responsibilities to the very end, then do not throw your hat into the ring. The buffing process is expected to last 2 weeks after its initialization.

This is the second of two end-of-gen Buffing Process focusing on Miasmaw and Chromera. With Miasmaw's buff now coming to a close, this Buffing Process will be centered around Chromera.

Before applying it is important to read and understand the following posts:
Topic Leadership
CAP 5 - Policy Review Summary
Buff Leader Policy Review

We are looking to fill the following position to help us lead this Buff Cycle:
  • Buff Leader: In the public's eyes, this is the leader of the project. The Buff Leader's responsibility is to lead discussion about the CAP's current role, scope for buffs, and to create the slate of Major and Minor Buffs. The Goal of the Buff Leader is "quality control" rather than "project control", and their focus should be synthesizing community consensus.
Buff Leaders should have the following qualifications:
  • Deep knowledge of the game of Pokemon
  • Familiarity with competitive Pokemon concepts, strategy and philosophy, as practiced within Smogon
  • Willing to voice opinions and lead others
  • Open-minded to new ideas
  • Creative, "outside-of-the-box" thinker
  • Good writing skills
  • Level-headed when resolving disputes
  • Liked and respected by the CAP community
Once this buff starts, the Buff Leader will be among the most important, most visible members of the CAP community, and they are expected to be a strong guiding force throughout the buffing process. If you are selected for any of these positions, you will have a great deal of power to influence the project. But you also have a responsibility to stay on top of things. You will have forum moderators to help you, but you need to be regularly active on the project until it is complete. All potential candidates should look through both the Topic Leadership Guide and the CAP Process Archive, to get an idea of what will be expected of you, if you are selected to be the Buff Leader.

This thread is strictly for candidacy posts and posts supporting those candidates. Please stay on topic. Below are the guidelines for posting in this thread:

• Candidates will benefit from highlighting their active involvement throughout the duration of a recent CAP project. Involvement in multiple CAP projects is strongly preferred.
  • Do not suggest other people. If you want you encourage someone else to run, then send them a PM or talk to them on the PS! CAP chatroom or the CAP Discord channel.
  • If you are new to the CAP project, do not sign up in this thread. Instead, spend a project or two lurking, learning, and participating first.
  • Include a summary of your involvement in the CAP project.
  • Make a pitch for why you should be selected. If you can't present and defend yourself, then you can't expect to lead a project whose primary function is discussion and debate. Convince us that you are a good choice.
  • Even if you don't think you are better qualified than certain other candidates, you still should consider posting your application. Candidates not selected as Buff Leader for this project will be on the watch list by the PRC for next time around. Don't post your name if you don't intend to be active in the project, even if you are not selected, since people will be scrutinizing your involvement more closely.
  • Feel free to post support for any candidates already named.
  • Do not post disparaging remarks about any candidates.
If these rules are not followed, the offending user will be subject to moderation.

These signups will remain open until this Saturday, the 8th.

Last edited:

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Yo, local Chromera advocate here.

I was typing leader for Chromera, and have probably been the single largest contributor to its usage in CAP's tour scene since it was released. I've been a major part of a lot of CAP projects, and buff processes. I've placed relatively highly in a number of CAP individuals, and have been in every recent CAP team tour. Unsure what else to say.

Last edited:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader

Hello, latest CAP enthusiast ausma here!

Right out the gate, an application of this vein seems a bit bold for someone so new to the CAP scene to partake in. I recognize that I'm a bit on the newer side regarding CAP participation, and I haven't had many showings in CAP tours due to my freshness to the scene. I'm open to your skepticism for that reason. However, I'd like to break the mold a bit and make an application to lead this buff process anyway and explain why I think I am a good candidate in spite of this.

1: My CAP qualifications

I've easily been the most involved with Saharaja, the latest CAP. I frequently participated in discussions for every single one of Saharaja's competitive stages, either on the forum, the Discord, or both. I often attempted to make posts that brought new perspectives and angles onto the table regarding what kinds of options could benefit Saharaja and use my personal experience in creating and designing Pokemon and in my endeavors in OU/CAP laddering to aid in the process. On the Discord end of things, I have accrued around 4k lines in the CAP Discord server from Saharaja alone. While Saharaja was my main and primary project, I believe I was a very strong and conducive contributor in its creation. If you want some examples of posts I am particularly proud of, you can find them below:

Movesets
Typing 1
Typing 2
Concept Assessment
Stat Submission
Primary Ability

Aside from Saharaja, I've studied and lurked CAP processes for a while, even before I started actively participating. The process I paid closest attention to as I was learning about how the CAP process worked was, fittingly, Chromera's. From the start Chromera was massively interesting to me and it still is in spite of its middling viability. Its abstract but irrefutably unique design and usage of Color Change is something I've wanted to dissect for a while. I believe if there is a buff process for me to attempt to lead, Chromera would be the one.

From a playing standpoint, I have participated in CAP majors, but unfortunately didn't advance too far due to a scheduling conflict and some unfortunate luck. I also participated in the latest CAPPL and although I didn't get to play often due to me losing a couple games back-to-back, I attempted to support my team wherever possible and opened myself to aid for those in need. However, I have played a share of games in various roomtours and the ladder since I started truly participating to where I feel comfortably familiar with the SS CAP metagame, and it helps that I have massive experience in the tier that SS CAP is fashioned around.

In short, my qualifications from a CAP POV are somewhat sparse, but I believe my experience is mostly one of quality over quantity, and I have demonstrated a commitment to future CAP projects through my involvement in Saharaja's process.

2: Why me?

I believe I am a very open thinker and leader; in fact, I feel this is among one of my most noteworthy strengths even aside from CAP. In the creation and discussion process, I see it as absolutely mandatory that every and all perspectives of varying experience are weighed and discussed, especially when it comes to a CAP as fundamentally abstract as Chromera. With this in mind, I would attempt to address and discuss ideas of all varieties with Chromera's process, but also be sure to balance that openness with experience. This is also signified through how I participated in Saharaja's process; I often attempted to bring new ideas to the table, even ones that may appear impractical, often for the sake of perspective. I balanced this often by weighing practical options and exploring their potential actively, too.

Furthermore, I believe my personal experience as a leading figure, SS CAP, and, notably, its adjacent metagame in SS OU helps to demonstrate my capabilities in a leading position, even if my way of thinking is on the stranger side. Though, I see that as a strength here, and something that will actively set me apart from other candidates.

3: What I hope to accomplish

Another huge reason I want to sign up for the buff leader is to help me assimilate more into CAP in the long term. I believe this section is genuinely phenomenal, and it's the most fun I've had on the site in a long time. I think it will be a great way for me to not only learn more about CAP, but also meet new people, commit more to the section, explore new perspectives that will help me grow as a leader and, hopefully, help others learn something from my prior experience as a leader/thinker.

Of course, I also hope that Chromera's concept and unique usage of Color Change can remain intact but made, well, more consistent and viable, especially considering what Chromera's overall design and concept represents.

___

Barring this, I will advocate for quziel as a candidate! He's extremely qualified for obvious reasons and has particular experience with Chromera, as was evident by his involvement in the process.

Thank you for considering me!

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
530.jpg

okay i'll do it again since all the other cap """leaders""" are allergic to cats or smthn

I'd rather not echo my previous signup post here and get straight to the point, but I will quickly note that both my Saharaja PPL package and Miasmaw Buff package were slated as additions to my credentials.

Chromera's a weird case because its got an actively negative aspect tied to it that we can't really get rid of, and having to work around the many downsides of Color Change to improve it is unsurprisingly a tall order. I've decided that it might be best for Mera to see dramatic changes to its identity, so long as Color Change still has influence on how it is played or used. As Buff Leader I would work to ensure that we closely examine and consider all avenues forward to help Chromera find viability in spite of Color Change no matter how controversial such ideas may be, including ones I myself may not be terribly fond of, for the sake of giving it a place in its home generation. We know a lot more about the flaws and setbacks of Color Change than we did over a year ago, and I believe a lot of ideas we agreed/disagreed on back then need reassessed for how everything's turned out today, and whether the concerns of old are still relevant or should be disregarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)