Buff Process 3 - Buff Leader Signups

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
This is the thread for people to announce their desire to become the Buff Leader (BL) for this Buff Cycle. Do not suggest other users. If someone wants to become the Buff Leader, they will post on their own, and if they don't have a strong urge to be it then they shouldn't be signing up anyway. The CAP project requires the utmost dedication and a substantial amount of free time, especially to lead, meaning that only those who have carefully considered the magnitude of their application will apply at all. If you are not prepared to fulfill all of the responsibilities to the very end, then do not throw your hat into the ring. The buffing process is expected to last 2 weeks after its initialization.

As a reminder, this is the first of two end-of-gen Buffing Process focusing on Miasmaw and Chromera. The CAP moderation team has elected to buff these CAPs in the order they were created, meaning this Buffing Process will be centered around Miasmaw. Chromera's buff will begin shortly after the conclusion of this process.

Before applying it is important to read and understand the following posts:
Topic Leadership
CAP 5 - Policy Review Summary
Buff Leader Policy Review

We are looking to fill the following position to help us lead this Buff Cycle:
  • Buff Leader: In the public's eyes, this is the leader of the project. The Buff Leader's responsibility is to lead discussion about the CAP's current role, scope for buffs, and to create the slate of Major and Minor Buffs. The Goal of the Buff Leader is "quality control" rather than "project control", and their focus should be synthesizing community consensus.
Buff Leaders should have the following qualifications:
  • Deep knowledge of the game of Pokemon
  • Familiarity with competitive Pokemon concepts, strategy and philosophy, as practiced within Smogon
  • Willing to voice opinions and lead others
  • Open-minded to new ideas
  • Creative, "outside-of-the-box" thinker
  • Good writing skills
  • Level-headed when resolving disputes
  • Liked and respected by the CAP community
Once this buff starts, the Buff Leader will be among the most important, most visible members of the CAP community, and they are expected to be a strong guiding force throughout the buffing process. If you are selected for any of these positions, you will have a great deal of power to influence the project. But you also have a responsibility to stay on top of things. You will have forum moderators to help you, but you need to be regularly active on the project until it is complete. All potential candidates should look through both the Topic Leadership Guide and the CAP Process Archive, to get an idea of what will be expected of you, if you are selected to be the Buff Leader.

This thread is strictly for candidacy posts and posts supporting those candidates. Please stay on topic. Below are the guidelines for posting in this thread:

• Candidates will benefit from highlighting their active involvement throughout the duration of a recent CAP project. Involvement in multiple CAP projects is strongly preferred.
  • Do not suggest other people. If you want you encourage someone else to run, then send them a PM or talk to them on the PS! CAP chatroom or the CAP Discord channel.
  • If you are new to the CAP project, do not sign up in this thread. Instead, spend a project or two lurking, learning, and participating first.
  • Include a summary of your involvement in the CAP project.
  • Make a pitch for why you should be selected. If you can't present and defend yourself, then you can't expect to lead a project whose primary function is discussion and debate. Convince us that you are a good choice.
  • Even if you don't think you are better qualified than certain other candidates, you still should consider posting your application. Candidates not selected as Buff Leader for this project will be on the watch list by the PRC for next time around. Don't post your name if you don't intend to be active in the project, even if you are not selected, since people will be scrutinizing your involvement more closely.
  • Feel free to post support for any candidates already named.
  • Do not post disparaging remarks about any candidates.
If these rules are not followed, the offending user will be subject to moderation.

These signups will remain open until this Saturday, the 24th.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Name: Wulfanator
Experience/Involvement: Astrolotl Typing, Venomicon TL, Saharaja Stats, 2x CAPPL manager/winner, Snake Draft winner, newly appointed mod
Goal: I have worked on 60% of the projects this gen. If I get to 100%, I will be the scapegoat for gen 8.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Hi I'm Voltage, and I'm acting as another option so that Wulf can't be the entire scapegoat for Gen 8 :]

I'm a former member of the metagame council for Gen 8, and have been a CAP regular since 2019, having taken a small break since the end of 2021 to return earlier this summer. I have a lot of experience in the community, including, but not limited to: being on the TLT for Miasmaw as the ability leader, regularly participating on all Gen 8 projects including submitting the concept for Astrolotl, Team manager for four different CAP tours, off-and-on CAP media creator, etc.

I would make for a good buffing leader as I have been regularly invested in the metagame throughout this generation and have observed and contributed to many different processes across the gen. I have worked with the PRC team to get a more solid framework on buffing and nerfing procedures which were implemented for the Pyroak nerfing procedure. With respect to this Miasmaw buff, I was on the TLT for the project, so I am aware of the internal discussions that took place during the project, and can provide meaningful conversation on how we might improve Miasmaw to be a more viable presence in the metagame. outside of CAP, I have practice in systems engineering (presently enrolled in a graduate level course that involves a similar process to CAP but with rocketry!!!) and understanding the means in which we as a team can create a meaningful end product that considers a number of different initial outcomes with as little leader bias as possible. And given that this process is much quicker than your average CAP process, it is much easier for me to regularly block out time to take in all potential buffing packages and generate meaningful discussion and analysis.

I will not lie to you when I say that Miasmaw is going to be a difficult CAP to buff. It will require a lot of careful consideration with respect to how we can make it better without immediately making it broken. There are a lot of factors that make Miasmaw not quite viable in the metagame, and I believe that we should make sure that we consider each of these cases as carefully as possible. There are also a lot of new factors to consider that weren't initially present when we made Miasmaw. Miasmaw was made back at the end of the Isle of Armor metagame (for which it was designed) but then was rendered unviable almost a week later with the release of the Crown Tundra. Furthermore, almost every CAP that has been created since (Venomicon and Saharaja, sory Chromera) have means of checking Miasmaw, and the metagame shifts that have come with these new CAPs also have done Miasmaw no favors (Slowtwins being far less useful of picks, faster threats becoming more popular, Astrolotl shifting from more utility to often running Choice Scarf, etc.). I believe that we can get Miasmaw to a state in which it is viable with these new threats in this finalized metagame that we see today by exploring what makes Miasmaw unique, and where it falls short. By identifying these features, we can get Miasmaw to a viable state that it had for about a week back in October of 2020.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to taking part in this buffing process!

Last edited:

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Hi I'm shnowshner, and I'm signing up so actually cool users like Voltage and Wulfanator don't have to suffer any unforeseen consequences in Gen 9.

Thus far I am the most recent of contributors to the CAP Project, but in the past months have dramatically ramped up my activity within the community, engaging in metagame discussion and chiming in on policy review via Discord. I was a near-constant presence during CAP31 with frequent posts and preliminary testing of Saharaja, and have continued participating during both the Post-Play Lookback and Venomicon's nerf process. During CAPPL VIII I was also in charge of the replays and stats compendium, which in my very humble and unbiased opinion is the best looking thread of its kind this community has ever seen, and regularly joined VC calls during matches. Time constraints are also not an issue for me right now, and I'm more than capable of putting other hobbies of mine on hold so that I can dedicate myself fully towards a successful process.

Even prior to joining the site in 2020, I had been interested in CAP since it fosters creativity and community-driven game design: much of my free time both then and now has been related to theorycrafting, and CAP offers an outlet that lets me share ideas and critique alongside others. Despite the amount of times I've "suggested" adding Fishious Rend or Double Iron Bash to a mon's movepool, game balance is something I love to talk about and develop, so leading a Buff process for the CAP that I had first contributed to would mean a ton to me, especially since I was still learning the ropes on CAP procedure during Miasmaw. Being in a position to encourage meaningful discussion legitimately sounds exciting, to the point that I've already been thinking about potential questions relating to both Miasmaw's pre- and post-buff viability, how it may fit into the current metagame, and on the history of the buffing process as a whole. I hope that the community is willing to give a relative newcomer like me a shot; I will do my very best to keep things running smoothly if selected, and encourage thoughtful discussion regardless of my position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)