[CAP ASB] Test Battle: Deck Knight vs. Alchemator (Ref: smashlloyd20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello everyone and welcome to the test battle of CAP ASB. This will be a shortened version of a real match to determine if the system has any fatal implementation flaws or difficulties in interpretation etc.

Match Over. Please Comment.

For this match, two Pokemon have been procured. These are Pokemon as they would exist after 3 battles in the system where each have earned 3 KOs Zantetsuken has applied 2 KO counters to it's Dream Counter and 1 to its Move Counter. Migdar Zolom has applied 1 to it's Dream Counter and 2 to it's Move Counter. Both have applied all available Move Counters (3 from 3 Battles) to Level-Up moves (which cost 1 MC each).

Meet Zantetsuken and Midgar Zolom!

Zantetsuken (M) Jolly
Item: Cheri Berry (Cures Paralysis twice.)

MC: 0
DC: 5/5 (UNLOCKED)

Type: Normal
Normal: Normal STAB; Bite, Claw Sharpen, Crunch, Dig, Double Kick, Hammer Arm, Iron Tail, Rain Dance, Rock Smash, Shadow Claw, Sunny Day, Wild Charge have Energy Cost reduced by one (1).

Stats:
Jolly: A 15% increase (rounded up) in Base Speed and a +5% increase in accuracy (e.g. 85 becomes 90) on this Pokemon's attacks; Special Attack reduced by *.

HP: 100
Atk: ****
Def: ***
SpA: **
SpD: ***
Spe: 104

Abilities:
Immunity: (Innate) This Pokemon’s body has an immensely strong immune response to venom and does not take poison damage when Poisoned. Toxic Poisoning will not do damage, however it will continue getting more severe.
Poison Rampage (DW) (UNLOCKED): (Innate) This Pokemon's body can use toxins as a catalyst to increase its strength. When poisoned, it does two (2) more damage with all physical attacks.

Attacks:
Scratch
Leer
Quick Attack
Swords Dance
Fury Cutter
Slash
Pursuit
Crush Claw
Taunt
Detect
Close Combat
Counter
Fury Swipes
Night Slash
Hone Claws
Toxic
Dig

Midgar Zolom (M) Brave
Item: Mental Herb (Removes the effects of Attract, Disable, Encore, Taunt, and Torment twice.)

DC: 4/5 (LOCKED)

Type: Poison
Poison: Poison STAB; immunity to Poison/Toxic, see and breathe through smog/smokescreens uninhibited. Dasutodasu, Muk, and Weezing inflict Toxic Poisoning with Solid/Liquid/Gaseous Poison attacks (respectively), Wrap and Glare have Energy Cost reduced by one (1).

Stats:
Brave: Attack increased by *; A 15% decrease (rounded down) in Base Speed and a +5% increase in accuracy (e.g. 85 becomes 90) on an opponent's attacks.

Atk: *****
SpA: ****
Spe: 56

Abilities:
Sked Skin: (Innate) This Pokemon regularly sheds its skin and any impurities contained in its body. If afflicted with a status condition, this Pokemon has a 33% chance of removing all status conditions at the end of a round.
Slip Through (DW) (LOCKED): (Innate) Through a combination of speed and cunning this Pokemon easily gets around Light Screen, Reflect, and Safeguard with all of its attacks.

Attacks:
Wrap
Lick
Bite
Poison Tail
Screech
Glare
Poison Fang
Haze
Venom Shock
Wring Out
Coil
Iron Tail
Punishment
Switcheroo
Poison Jab
Flamethrower
Earthquake

As this is the test battle, the ground rules will be set by me. Here is the battle format:

1vs 1 Single Battle
DQ Time: 1 Day
Restricted Moves: 2 uses of Direct Recovery moves (Rest/Recover) / 5 Chills (Restore 10% Energy)

Arena: Indigo Stadium

Indigo Stadium is a basic competitive arena with no special effects. The sides of the arena has tiny grates with water running underneath, and the soil is hard and covered with a light element of sand to allow moves like Dig and Earthquake. Trees line the sides of the field as well.

Round 1: Deck Knight Selects Pokemon and Attacks First

Clauses:

Switch = KO
All Abilities Active
Items Enabled

-------

First Attack:

To begin this match, I, Deck Knight, select Zantetsuken.

Zantetsuken, Start with Taunt to wear down MZ's Mental Herb. Then spin around and use Swords Dance. Finish this round with Crush Claw!

If Midgar Zolom uses Glare after the first action, change your action to Taunt.

Taunt ~ Swords Dance ~ Crush Claw

Sub Taunt if MZ Glares.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

If he's going to start off on the offensive then we should nip that in the bud. Use Haze as he Taunts, which is negated by the Mental Herb. As he uses Swords Dance boost your own stats with Coil. Take the hit from Crush Claw and then smack him away with Punishment.

Haze ~ Coil ~ Punishment

Round 1: I can't see!

YEAH LETS GET IT OOOON

Alright, today we've got the first battle of the newly formed CAP Anime Style Battling League. Facing off will be two newcomers to this league.

Duh.

In one corner, Deck Knight, facing off against Alchemator. For his first (and only) Pokemon, Deck sends out a Zangoose named Zantetsuken. Here's his stats:

Zantetsuken (M) Jolly
Item: Cheri Berry (Cures Paralysis twice.)

DC: 5/5 (UNLOCKED)

Type: Normal
Normal: Normal STAB; Bite, Claw Sharpen, Crunch, Dig, Double Kick, Hammer Arm, Iron Tail, Rain Dance, Rock Smash, Shadow Claw, Sunny Day, Wild Charge have Energy Cost reduced by one (1).

Stats:
Jolly: A 15% increase (rounded up) in Base Speed and a +5% increase in accuracy (e.g. 85 becomes 90) on this Pokemon's attacks; Special Attack reduced by *.

Atk: ****
SpA: **
Spe: 104

Abilities:
Immunity: (Innate) This Pokemon’s body has an immensely strong immune response to venom and does not take poison damage when Poisoned. Toxic Poisoning will not do damage, however it will continue getting more severe.
Poison Rampage (DW) (UNLOCKED): (Innate) This Pokemon's body can use toxins as a catalyst to increase its strength. When poisoned, it does two (2) more damage with all physical attacks.

Attacks:
Scratch
Leer
Quick Attack
Swords Dance
Fury Cutter
Slash
Pursuit
Crush Claw
Taunt
Detect
Close Combat
Counter
Fury Swipes
Night Slash
Hone Claws
Toxic
Dig
For his part, Alchemator throws out a Seviper named Midgar Zolom. Stats:

Midgar Zolom (M) Brave
Item: Mental Herb (Removes the effects of Attract, Disable, Encore, Taunt, and Torment twice.)

DC: 4/5 (LOCKED)

Type: Poison
Poison: Poison STAB; immunity to Poison/Toxic, see and breathe through smog/smokescreens uninhibited. Dasutodasu, Muk, and Weezing inflict Toxic Poisoning with Solid/Liquid/Gaseous Poison attacks (respectively), Wrap and Glare have Energy Cost reduced by one (1).

Stats:
Brave: Attack increased by *; A 15% decrease (rounded down) in Base Speed and a +5% increase in accuracy (e.g. 85 becomes 90) on an opponent's attacks.

Atk: *****
SpA: ****
Spe: 56

Abilities:
Sked Skin: (Innate) This Pokemon regularly sheds its skin and any impurities contained in its body. If afflicted with a status condition, this Pokemon has a 33% chance of removing all status conditions at the end of a round.
Slip Through (DW) (LOCKED): (Innate) Through a combination of speed and cunning this Pokemon easily gets around Light Screen, Reflect, and Safeguard with all of its attacks.

Attacks:
Wrap
Lick
Bite
Poison Tail
Screech
Glare
Poison Fang
Haze
Venom Shock
Wring Out
Coil
Iron Tail
Punishment
Switcheroo
Poison Jab
Flamethrower
Earthquake
Let's take a look at the arena. Because we all love data.

Arena: Indigo Stadium

Indigo Stadium is a basic competitive arena with no special effects. The sides of the arena has tiny grates with water running underneath, and the soil is hard and covered with a light element of sand to allow moves like Dig and Earthquake. Trees line the sides of the field as well.
And just to round it out, the clauses on as well.

1vs 1 Single Battle
DQ Time: 1 Day
Restricted Moves: 2 uses of Direct Recovery moves (Rest/Recover) / 5 Chills (Restore 10% Energy)

Switch = KO
All Abilities Active
Items Enabled
Now, let's get to the actual battle!

Zantetsuken starts off the battle by getting right in Midgar Zolom's face, Taunting it into a blind rage. That's when Midgar Zolom's Mental Herb activates, refreshing its state of mind. All better, the Seviper spews a cloud of Haze, obscuring it from its foe. Zantetsuken takes no notice however, spinning into a Swords Dance. Fully boosted, it begins to hunt through the fog for Midgar Zolom. Zolom, in the center of the fog, takes the free time and begins to Coil its body tightly. By this time Zantetsuken has located its opponent, and strikes it savagely with a glowing Crush Claw. The energy penetrates the Seviper's skin partially, lowering its Defense. The snake gets up and fumes about the Zangoose's large stat boost. It then smashes into Zangoose with a Punisment, surrounded by a dark aura of jealousy.

We all know I love stats, so...

Zantetsuken
Health: 85
Energy: 82
Boosts: +2 Attack
Other: Item fully intact

Midgar Zolom
Health: 86
Energy: 78
Boosts: +1 Attack, +1 Accuracy
Other: one Mental Herb use left.

They're about three feet apart, close up. Haze still might make it hard for Zantetsuken to see.

Alch, you're first order. Go!

Alchemator

Ok we can still get this. Back away slowly, keeping your eyes on Zantetsuken constantly. If he rushes forward, reply with Wrap and then Poison Fang. If he stays back, continuing moving backward and use Flamethrower.

Wrap ~ Poison Fang
or if he doesn't come close
Flamethrower

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright Zantetsuken, time to get a little creative. Stay exactly where you are, and create a Toxic cloud aimed at... yourself! The aim is to activate your ability Zantetsuken, so concentrate and stay in place.

I'm sure this action will take Midgar Zolom by surprise a bit, so use your oponing to Dig and advance on it from below. When you come up, strike it hard, let your blood feud flow into your attack. Then dive below again with another Dig and hit it again.

Toxic (on self) ~ Dig ~ Dig

Round 2: Underground Round

Zantetsuken starts off the round with a strange manuver, emitting a cloud of Toxic around himself. The poison seeps in slowly, infecting him with a lethal toxin. His body begins working overtime, his Poison Heal ability increasing his physical strength. Meanwhile, Midgar Zolom, seeing that Zantetsuken isn't advancing, fires a Flamethrower at the Zangoose, knocking him back a bit.

Zantetsuken then gets back up, and Digs under the ground. It burrows its way over to Midgar Zolom, and pops out of the ground under it and attacks with all its natural hatred of Seviper behind it. Before the Seviper can react, its dives back under the ground and Digs under Midgar Zolom again. It then leaps out of the ground again, hitting Midgar Zolom with another super-effective strike.

Stats:
Zantetsuken
Health: 72
Energy: 65
Boosts: +1 Attack, +2 damage to all physical attacks

Midgar Zolom
Health: 48
Energy: 71
Boosts: None

About five feet apart. Not much haze left.

Deck Knight

Excellent work Zantetsuken.

Start this round off with Crush Claw.

Then it all depends on what Midgar Zolom does.

If it Wraps you up, use Detect + Dig to get out of it and strike the serpent from below again. You should be able to avoid whatever attack it tries to use after to Wraps you up.

Otherwise use Hone Claws and disrupt MZ's movements with Fury Swipes!

Crush Claw ~ Hone Claws ~ Fury Swipes

On the second action, Use Detect + Dig if Zangoose was wrapped the first action.

Alchemator

We're in a bit of a tight spot, but I'm not letting this kind of cautious play slide. Use Wrap to bait that Detect + Dig combo, then Earthquake him to death as he's below the ground. Finish up with a powerful Venom Shock!

Wrap ~ Earthquake ~ Venom Shock

Round 3: Anti-Underground Round

Zantetsuken starts out on the offensive, rushing forward and delivering a glowing Crush Claw to Midgar Zolom. The white energy once again penetrates the Seviper's skin, dropping its Defense. Midgar Zolom quickly rushes forward and Wraps Zantetsuken up in its body, squeezing it powerfully. Zantetsuken begins a Detect, focusing intensely and quickly escaping from Midgar Zolom's grasp and. Then it begins Digging under the serpent once more, hoping to get in yet another super-effective attack.

But Midgar Zolom has other plans, slamming its tail onto the ground and triggering an Earthquake...right where Zantetsuken is, directly under it. Dazed, the Zangoose emerges from the ground several feet to the side of Midgar Zolom, missing its target entirely. Midgar Zolom decides to take advantage of the opening, spitting a Venom Shock directly at the helpless Zangoose.

Stats:
Zantetsuken
Health: 31
Energy: 47
Boosts: +2 damage to all physical attacks

Midgar Zolom
Health: 34
Energy: 54

Haze is all gone. They're around eight feet apart, and Zantetsuken is slightly dazed.

Alchemator

Oki dokey that round went rather well. Hi-five!

Wait, never mind...

Right, this is where things start to get tricky, almost literally. Start out with a Switcheroo - you should be able to get it off without much of a hitch due to Zantetsuken being dazed. Then, you guessed it, Glare that nasty ferret. Follow this up with a Venom Shock. If he decides to use Taunt or look away or tries to use Dig again to catch you by surprise, use Earthquake in place of Glare.

Switcheroo ~ Glare ~ Venom Shock
Or if he Taunts or looks away or uses Dig to prevent Glare
Switcheroo ~ Earthquake ~ Venom Shock

Deck Knight

Zantetsuken, time to finish this.

Gather yourself together and begin with another Crush Claw. Then use Detect to avoid whatever action Seviper tries in its middle action, you should be able to avoid both Glare and Earthquake with some swift movement. Finish the round with another Crush Claw.

Crush Claw ~ Detect ~ Crush Claw

Round 4: Crush!

Midgar Zolom quickly darts toward Zantetsuken, and Switcheroos their items before the ferret can react. Pulling itself together, Zantetsuken swipes at Midgar Zolom with another glowing Crush Claw, knocking it back. Midgar Zolom gets up and sharply Glares at Zanetsuken, who Detects the attack in advance and dodges out of the Seviper's sight with incredible speed.

The Seviper spits another Venom Shock at Zantetsuken, who reels a little bit from the attack but gets back up and slashes Midgar Zolom with another Crush Claw.

Stats:
Zantetsuken
Health: 11
Energy: 30
Boosts: +2 damage to all physical attacks
Other: one mental herb use left

Midgar Zolom
Health: 6
Energy: 34
Other: item intact

They're about four feet apart, not much else to say.

Deck Knight

It was a hard fought battle Zantetsuken, but it's time to end this.

Finish this up at lightning speed with a Quick Attack. Seviper should be weak enough to succumb. If it isn't finish with Slash.

Quick Attack ~ Quick Attack ~ Quick Attack

Or Slash if QA won't KO.

Alchemator

adociadspoijvpofjivsdfioj

Well this is worth a shot.

Use Screech to disrupt his attacks, and capitalise on this by using Glare to stop him. Then finish with a Venom Shock.

Screech ~ Glare ~ Venom Shock

Round 5: Game Over

Zantetsuken rushes toward Midgar Zolom with a Quick Attack and slams into it head-on before the Seviper can respond. The snake lets out a low groan and slumps to the ground, defeated.

Deck Knight has won!

Good game, guys.

Deck Knight

Alright, so here's how the rewards break down:

Referee:

smashlloyd20:

Reffed a 1vs1 Singles match, earning him 1 Ref Token.

Refs can claim thier payment as soon as they post the final round that knocks out the last Pokemon.

Battlers:

Deck Knight:

Deck Knight engaged in a battle, so his Trainer Counter goes up by 2.

Zantetsuken already earned its DW Ability and has no Evolutions, so Zangoose gains No Evolution Counters, no Dream Counters, and 1 Move Counter.

Deck Knight earned 1 KO in the match, so he can apply his KO Bonus to either Zantetsuken's Move Counter or to his own Trainer Counter.

Deck Knight can claim his bonuses after the final round has been posted. If he applies his KO Bonus to Zantetsuken's Move Counter, it increases to 2. Deck Knight can then choose 2 Level-Up moves or a BW TM to add to Zantetsuken's movepool, or simply stockpile Move Counters for another time.

Deck Knight can also purchase any item with an Item Cost equal to or less than his Trainer Counters.

ex:

Deck Knight said:
Good Game Alchemator.

Excellent Work Zantetsuken.

I apply my KO reward to Zantetsuken's Move Counter.

I'm going to use my 2 Move Counters to learn Embargo and X-Scissor from Zangoose's Level-Up Movepool.

I'm going to purchase Cheri Berry with my Trainer Counters to replace the one from this battle.
Alchemator:

Alchemator engaged in a battle, so his Trainer Counter goes up by 2.

Midgar Zolom has not yet earned its DW Ability and has no Evolutions, so Seviper gains No Evolution Counters, 1 Dream Counter, and 1 Move Counter. Since Seviper's Dream Counters increased from 4 to 5, Alchemator can choose to unlock Seviper's Dream World Ability when he claims his rewards.

Alchemator can claim his bonuses after the final round has been posted. It should include whether he wants to unlock Seviper's DW Ability or not. Since Midgar Zolom recieved a Move Counter for participating in battle, it can learn a Level-up Move or stockpile it or another match.

Alchemator can also purchase any item with an Item Cost equal to or less than his Trainer Counters.

ex:

Alchemator said:
GG DK.

Great attempt Midgar Zolom.

I'm going to unlock Midgar Zolom's Dream World Ability (Slip Through) and keep its Move Counter in reserve.

I will purchase another Mental Herb with my 2 Trainer Counters.
-----

Non-battlers may now post their impressions, observations, etc.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is probably a silly question, but... what happened to Seviper's Coil boosts? And why didn't Zangoose's Crush Claw lower Seviper's Defence the second time?

I haven't read the rules, so maybe I'm missing something?

Deck Knight

This is probably a silly question, but... what happened to Seviper's Coil boosts? And why didn't Zangoose's Crush Claw lower Seviper's Defence the second time?

I haven't read the rules, so maybe I'm missing something?
Stages revert back to normal (+0) over time rather than being permanent like in the cartridge. Furthermore stat boosts/drops gained on the first action of a round are reduced towards 0 at the end of the third action, so Zangoose's Crush Claw in Round 3 lowered Seviper's Defense, but because it was on the first action the drop was removed at the end of the third action of that round. Since Zangoose's Dig never hit, there was no effect on damage that round.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Suggesting a compilation of arenas. Otherwise, the arena chooser can simply pick a stage with odds in his favor, or a stage that would destroy the opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)