CAP 31 - Part 12 - Prevo # Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Definitely doesn't look like a standalone, so One or Two is the way to go. Not sure which amount I prefer tho, I think both are valid.

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I also agree, one is the way to go here. The design isn't complex to the point where two seems logical, though I could see there being no prevos.

Yu_IOTJ

formerly NoahIOTJ
is a Community Contributor
I think 31 deserves a prevo. One or Two are both good, and I understand the justification for the former over the latter.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
CAP 31 has a BST of 580. The only Pokemon with a BST of 580 are legendaries. I can see this design being a legendary, along the lines of the Swords of Justice, which supports Zero (None) pre-evos. CAPs tend to have inflated BSTs, though, and if it were not legendary, it would fall along the lines of having One pre-evo for reasons specified above, by nature of its design.

One or None, for reasons which Quanyails beat me to the punch. On one hand, it somewhat reminds me of the Caly Steeds, on the other, the other Camel Pokémon we have has a pre evo, so there's that.

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
CAP 31 has a BST of 580. The only Pokemon with a BST of 580 are legendaries. I can see this design being a legendary, along the lines of the Swords of Justice, which supports Zero (None) pre-evos. CAPs tend to have inflated BSTs, though, and if it were not legendary, it would fall along the lines of having One pre-evo for reasons specified above, by nature of its design.
While I don't disagree necessarily with this idea, I will say I don't think 31 would fit the mold particularly well as a standalone on. 580 (and 570) legendaries are notably different from other legendaries or mythicals as they always come in sets of 2 or more and usually have shared design elements going on to tie them together. 31 being a single 580 legendary with no counterpart associated with it would feel pretty out of place imo.

Along with Zetalz's points, having a 580 bst doesn't necessitate 31 being a legendary, especially in CAP where there are other high BST mons with evolutions like Jumbao. I share the sentiment with others in that one pre-evolution fits very well with the design.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
For what it's worth, even if we did opt to put CAP 31 in the same class as a legendary, Silvally and Urshifu are also counted as legendaries, but both have one pre-evolution each and hover roughly around CAP 31's BST (570 and 550 respectively). So, precedent for sub-600 BST Legendary pre-evolutions does exist, which would mean CAP 31 could potentially have one regardless of its classification and BST. That in tandem with CAP 31's larger, complicated yet similar design/detail scheme to other fully evolved equine-Pokemon (which all pack a single pre-evolution) definitely has me supporting One.

I was initially in the None camp because of its BST being that of a minor legendary's, but after reading other people's reasonings I think One is the best way to go. It doesn't quite look complex/grand enough to have two preevos, and if we were to make it a legendary there is precedent in the form of Silvally and Urshifu, both of whom have similar (if slightly lower) BSTs.

I can see it being None, but I think it fits more if it has One prevo. There's not much there conceptually for two evo's to make sense and I can't imagine how we could make two without either having it be just "it gets bigger/the middle is just a perfect in-between of first and last stages". Plus, while there is a precedent for pokemon of that complexity/size to not have a prevo (Kangaskan, Turtonator, etc) it is more common for them to have a prevo (including all the Horse/horse-adjacent pokemon which a camel basically counts as).

For this one, I'm going to suggest towards giving it One. It would make the most sense for a baby camel to have something like a smaller jewel on its body, such as a pearl, as a way to avoid Gesbiga syndrome. I can see us giving the camel two of them, but one will suffice.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Thoroughly riding the One train with everyone else. Horse-like and deer-like Pokemon (because we all know camels are the horses of the desert) are all consistently two stage mons, with the only exceptions being Legendary Pokemon (Glastrier, Spectrier, Xerneas, Whatever you want to count the Swords of Justice as) and formerly Stantler, but Legends Arceus fixed this discrepancy itself. I think Two is possible, but would require some trickiness and One is much more flexible and unlikely to result in redundancy.

Definitelly agree to One pre-evo. While None could also make sence, i believe that thematically a desing like this can really benefit from having a pre evolved form, there could be an argument for Two pre-evos too, but i believe that may be stretching it a little too thin

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
I am very much in support of One. I can't see two, but I think this design could use a prevo of some kind.

Two, definitely. I feel this design deserves a good progression from a primitive, humpless camelid (ala Poebrotherium or maybe something a bit larger like Procamelus) to a single-humped Dromedary-like form, then the double-humped Bactrian CAP 31.

Two, definitely. I feel this design deserves a good progression from a primitive, humpless camelid (ala Poebrotherium or maybe something a bit larger like Procamelus) to a single-humped Dromedary-like form, then the double-humped Bactrian CAP 31.
While I can see the first stage having no hump then one then two, how would you suggest the other aspects of the design (like the headdress, gems, the tower-ish-ness of the humps) evolve over multiple stages? With one stage it's reasonably easy to simply 'reduce everything down' conceptually - but with two stages its generally more noticable if the design just 'gets bigger' so to speak as it evolves.

While I can see the first stage having no hump then one then two, how would you suggest the other aspects of the design (like the headdress, gems, the tower-ish-ness of the humps) evolve over multiple stages? With one stage it's reasonably easy to simply 'reduce everything down' conceptually - but with two stages its generally more noticable if the design just 'gets bigger' so to speak as it evolves.
I'd say incorporate a "rags-to-riches" motif. The base stage is ratty and kinda pauper-ish, so to speak, then each stage is a successive glow-up.

One. Nothing to add really, it fits the same kind of feeling of Pokemon like Camerupt, Zebstrika, Mudsdale, Rapidash, etc.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
just drank a whole glass of water to say I support having Prevo(s). The design definitely doesn't strike me as being single-stage: it feels both too "benign" and too "elaborate" to be its own thing. I really get the sense of this being the final iteration of an Pokemon line.

Preference-wise I think two is being heavily undersold here. One Prevo is always going to be attractive for simplicity and workload (plus a bit of precedent with the main series since there's no mono-Ground three stage line), but I don't think it'd be a stretch to develop a cohesive three-stage evolutionary family from the artwork. There's a lot more than just "downsizing" the design we have when it comes to prevos: I can see angles on it getting more lavish as it evolves with the beginning starting off rather plain, or perhaps this takes the prior evolution into a different territory like we see with a lot of other three-stage lines. I.E. first-stage evolves into second stage normally but to get to this third stage you need some sort of special condition, sorta like what a lot of Gen 4 evolutions did (Mamoswine comes to mind here especially).

Overall I feel this is a decent opportunity to make a cohesive three-stage family (something we've not naturally done since CAP 20!) but at the very least not being single-stage feels like the correct path to take.

Definitely gonna agree and ride the wave on one pre-evo here. Whether people feel more strongly about 31 falling into the Mudsdale/Rapidash/Zebstrika mold or the Silvally/Urshifu mold, both set a precedent for one only. I wouldn’t mind two, per se, but I think one is overall much simpler and fits the precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)