CAP 31 - Part 11 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
CAP 31 So Far

-----

Sprite Rules
  • Sprites should be inspired by the winning designs from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the designs; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art designs is discouraged.
  • No action effects, move effects, environment effects or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon.
  • Sprites must be in PNG format.
  • Use transparent backgrounds.
  • All sprites must be scratch sprites that are completely original works by the spriter. Fusions of other sprites or pixel-overs of other artist's lineart (including the main design) are not allowed.
  • Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.
  • All sprites (front and back) must use the same color palette.
  • All sprites (front and back) must use roughly the same size and pose when compared to each other.
Additionally, all sprites (front and back) must be in the same style as Gen. V sprites, which means:
  • We recommend that your sprite is no bigger than 80x80. This limit may be broken for complex designs, up to a maximum size of 96x96.
  • Sprites must have roughly the same size, perspective, and lighting compared to in-game sprites.
  • Sprites must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline one pixel wide. This outline must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite.
  • We recommend that you use no more than 15 unique colors on your sprites' palette. This limit may be broken for complex designs.
  • Sprites must be cel-shaded. Dithering may be used sparingly.
Final Submission Post

All spriters must make a final submission post conforming to the sprite rules (listed above) and the following:
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the sprites at the top, and any additional description or comments (if applicable) below them.
  • Final submissions must contain a minimum of 2 sprites - Front and Back. If the winning design has supporting art with gender differences, spriters may choose to include those gender differences (Male and Female versions of each), for a total of 4 sprites. Gender differences are NOT required. Spriters cannot create new gender differences.
  • Only submit ONE PNG that contains all the submitted sprites. Please do not submit separate images for every sprite. One "cutsheet" makes it easier for mods to track submissions and ensure each complete set of sprites stay intact.
  • The final submission image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Smogon forums or Imgur). Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post.
Advice for Spriters
  • For newcomers, we recommend this tutorial on scratch sprites as an introduction to Pokemon-style sprites.
  • Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In Pokémon Showdown, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in battle.
  • Please make sure that your sprite can be easily palette-swapped to facilitate a shiny palette. In other words, don't reuse one color in two different settings unless they are intended to be the same color.

Main Design

WIP

CAP31-Front.png

I also made a sprite, though I'm not quite sure about the perspective atm, so I may shift things around some more. Backsprite might kill me irl but I'll see about making that work sometime soon too.

CAP31-Front-Size-Comparison.png

Edit: I've lightened the brown and fixed the overall perspective and leg placement. Thanks to Discord chat for helping with constructive feedback!

Last edited:
Man this CAP is pretty complex in a way that I imagine is challenging for you spriters, are there any other mons of similar complexity sprite wise? Other than some of the wackier legendaries I can't think of any with so many do-dads off the top of my head.

You're all doing great especially with something with this many parts to it.
there are mons that are similar like cobalion but that's really the closest reference. Nothing is really similar to that camel shaped body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)