CAP 31 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
WIP

Forgot to post this over here, but I made a new version of my sub. Same concept, just different execution. Already I think the more androgynous presentation makes it look less derivative. Id be happy to compete with this design so I doubt I'm gonna change anything until we get stats and moves and everything.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP

1651065287482.png

Updated the theme of my design + added colors. If you have feedback on the design, please let me know on Discord soon, as my ability to make design changes will be limited after I start the final render.

Changelog:
  • Ended up using porcelain as a theme to support base animal + Ground type + Water Absorb. As a result:
    • Changed the shape of the legs
    • Changed the shape of the palanquin
    • Made the mouth more unique
    • Made the antennae longer to reflect the design's real-world inspiration
  • Moved diamonds from the palanquin/legs to a "necklace"
Thanks to the following people for feedback! Amamama, Darquezze, dex, Explosion Badger, Malarkey, Mos-Quitoxe, Pipotchi, Sunfished, Zephyri

Last edited:
WIP
cap31_sketchy8color.png

Made some drastic changes, in that I decided to discard the previous plant idea when I came across a better one for forming the crystals like a plant: wire crystal/rock trees. Also reposed my dude a bit to make him a little more expressive, and I added moss growing on his back to avoid the tree and gems around it from looking pasted on.
EDIT: Some fixes for the tail and moss, along with a possible palette. I'm gonna try doing a bunch of colors for the gems to see what I get. Here's the previous sketch before the fixes:
cap31_sketchy6.png

Last edited:

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

Continuing to integrate the clam shell and crab elements more closely instead of just tacking them onto each other. The clam shell retains its upper portion which it uses as camouflage on sandy beaches, luring in victims to inspect before it rises from the sands and attacks. The idea for piledriver-boosted claws arose from an attempt to make this not just a Clawitzer thing, plus jewel indicator lights on the claws. Kudos to Quanyails, Sunfished and Mos for their feedback on shapes and forms.

WIP

iceridrill.png

Might as well be done because I can't draw for shit. Had a good idea and wanted to get it out there I guess on the off-chance someone actually good at art makes their own version of it. It occurred to me that one of those prehistoric shelled squids with a diamond encrusted drill shell would be good for a Ground type that gets Diamond Storm and being a squid would fit the ability. Then I realized the diamond bits and shelled squid shape lend themselves well to an ice cream theme with diamond sprinkles the color of the diamond bits I saw after checking google images to see what a diamond drill bit actually looks like. I tried to balance colors to match sand, an actual ice cream cone, and the Pacman ghost I realized I was accidentally drawing. Maybe I should've made the body brown to reference both chocolate ice cream and mud due to the ability. Wasn't really satisfied with anything I tried with the tip of the drill shell itself
WIP

Continuing to integrate the clam shell and crab elements more closely instead of just tacking them onto each other. The clam shell retains its upper portion which it uses as camouflage on sandy beaches, luring in victims to inspect before it rises from the sands and attacks. The idea for piledriver-boosted claws arose from an attempt to make this not just a Clawitzer thing, plus jewel indicator lights on the claws. Kudos to Quanyails, Sunfished and Mos for their feedback on shapes and forms.
I like it but feel like the clam shell not having treasure like an open chest is a missed opportunity. Maybe the eyes could be made out of coins or gems

Modedit: Removing quoted image.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
WIP

Been playing around with a few ideas but currently like this one which is based on ostriches, drinking bird toys, mining and like old timey rich people -- basically the ostriches (oo OstRICHes) drink up groundwater [water absorb], process it and precious gems come out through their skin making them fashion icons who are definitely too good for you. Colors should help convey ground type

WIP
CAP ART 1.png

Here's a quick idea I sketched in class. I was humming the song Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds by the Beatles, and was inspired to create this Sgt. Pepper inspired naked mole rat. The stripe doubles as an imitation of the Sgt. Pepper uniforms as well as resembling a guitar string on its tail (but it's not an actual string). Also, the tuning pegs on its guitar are diamonds, as well as the shoulder pads that are meant to resemble the shoulder pads on the Sgt. Pepper uniforms. A neat detail (which I did on purpose) is that there are 8 diamonds on this design in total, which is the same as the amount of PP that the move Diamond Storm has. Additionally, I added a marking on its eyes to mimic John Lennon's glasses.

I don't know if I'm a fan of the pose I drew this guy in, I really only did it so the idea that it is clear that its tail is meant to look like a guitar. Should I change the pose to be on all fours, or is the pose fine?

Will definitely work on a digital version with some color once this week is over (Finals are killing me!)

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
WIP

Oof, I know I'm hopping in way late here, but I figure I'd throw in what I've been brainstorming.

Concept is a simple enough one, Thorny Devil as a desert bandit lol. This lil guy moves swiftly through the arid environments and loves plundering treasure spots for the shinies inside. The larger the gem on the head, the more respect and power they get from their kind. It is because of this that they are always looting and adding more precious gems to their collection. In an emergency, their bodies are covered in sharp spines, with the larger ones being used as effectively as any blade. Failing that, they can use their large imposing tails to carve into the ground below them and whip up a horrible storm to pellet enemies, or escape. Lesser gemstones are incorporated in this maneuver to further add to the destructive power.

Water Absorb is justified by the fact that Thorny Devils actually have this ability in real life, being able to sponge up water to their bodies simply by coming in contact with it.

Hope to refine this idea a bit more and get to rendering!

WIP

gecko options.jpg

My previous dodo design didn't really work out given Water Absorb as our primary ability, so I went back to the drawing board and came up with this broad-tailed gecko design. The shape and proportions of the broad-tailed gecko's tail work well as a focal point of the design, and I loosely used spot patterns from other gecko species such as the leopard gecko and tokay gecko to emulate dirt spots associated with the Ground type. For Water Absorb, this fella stores water in an inflatable sac in its tail, similar to how real-life geckos store their excess energy in their tails. When empty, the sac kind of just hangs between the more rigid parts of the tail

I've tried experimenting with the shape of the main body, and currently I'm quite liking the more bulky version but I want to see what the stat stage does before I lock in my design and start work on a final render.

Last edited:
The lack of Dimetrodon's in this format has driven me to have this blue diamond-powered celadon pot dimetrodon. The celadon pot format would support the ground aspect of the pokemon as well as being able to heal the cracks in the pottery if it were ever to be hit with a water attack. Water is also typically held in containers in pots so having a place to hold water in the design would also support the body shape. As fancy pots are also adorned with diamonds it is bejeweled with small diamonds as well as a rotating large diamond that would be used to hurl at the opponent. After using diamond storm, more diamonds would be added onto the pokemon as it would roll around on the ground to become blinged out.

Attachments

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
WIP

Here is a clean colored sketch of my design for CAP 31. This mon is one bad hombre. It's a cold-blooded desert gunslinger that shoots diamond bullets. I call it "El Vaquero":

I pulled design inspiration from Spanish cowboys, flamenco dancing, western desert motifs, and maybe a tad of matador influences.

After I cleaned the pencil sketch lineart, I started playing around with colors and forgot to switch from a pencil to a regular coloring brush. I kinda liked the rough texture of colored pencils, so I kept laying down the basic color scheme in pencil. I don't know how I'm going to render the final version of this, but it was fun to play with pencil coloring for the first time in ages for me.

I'll keep working on this, but I like how it is shaping up. ¡Ándale!

WIP

Hi, first time posting an art here (and first message on this forum also ^^).
I'm happy to join your community.
If I am not posting my art well, please feel free to tell me it.

Version 3 tierce.png

I still have a lot of work on this art. Moreover, it's near my first time drawing with color, I have many things to learn ^^.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)