CAP 31 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Temporary File.png

I changed my design a lot since last time! I wanted to make it look speedier + make it less of a Tamatoa ripoff.

Motivation:
  • The impetus behind this design is "What if crab, but tall?"
  • Long legs made it look like a house on stilts.
  • What's a shiny, luxurious mode of transport on stilts? A palanquin.
Additional motifs:
  • Crab has a crown because of the "king crab" pun.
  • Crab has big fat legs from feedback + inspiration from coconut crabs.
  • Palanquin inspired by lifeguard towers and beach umbrellas.
  • Has inspirations from beach metal detecting.

Also, I just want to respond to this comment:

I feel I just have to make a post.

WATER ABSORB DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO MAKE AN AQUATIC ANIMAL.

Literally any arid, desert-y themed concepts work with Water Absorb. They're always looking for water, cause they're from deserts/arid savannahs/ whatever.
I respect your opinion, but keep in mind that there is no existing precedence. The only Pokemon that receive Water Absorb that are not Water-type Pokemon themselves are cacti. There is no Ground-type Pokemon associated with the desert that receives it. E.g., Sandshrew, Trapinch, Sandile. Sandshrew is especially egregious considering its Ruby Pokedex entry specifically states that it is "configured to absorb water without waste".

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
There is a non-cacti desert Pokemon that has a water absorbing ability, Helioptile and its evolution Heliolisk. From a flavor perspective, I think Heliolisk is an excellent example since exposure to harsh desert sunlight damages it over time (Solar Power also reinforces this) but access to rain water is restorative. And obviously it has Sand Veil since it's a desert animal with heavy weather ability flavor.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch for a design to interpret Water Absorb similar to how Helioptile interprets Dry Skin.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
There is a non-cacti desert Pokemon that has a water absorbing ability, Helioptile and its evolution Heliolisk. From a flavor perspective, I think Heliolisk is an excellent example since exposure to harsh desert sunlight damages it over time (Solar Power also reinforces this) but access to rain water is restorative. And obviously it has Sand Veil since it's a desert animal with heavy weather ability flavor.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch for a design to interpret Water Absorb similar to how Helioptile interprets Dry Skin.
Looking at Dry Skin and Water Absorb's distributions, I think it's kinda clear that both abilities have different "flavor niches". Dry Skin is for pokemons who need moisture on, you know, their skin, and who would dry out from too little water exposure. It also is, most notably, only on pokemon that aren't water type. On the contrary, Water Absorb is for pokemon who have no business being hurt by water, in great majority because they are water types themselves, the only exception being cacti. First one is water wetting a dry surface, second one is water wetting… more water. Think of it like the difference between lightning rod and volt absorb, where the former is for pokemon who have literal lighting rods on their body and the later is for pokemon that store electricity. At the end of the day it is two different things.

Honestly though, I don't think it really matters for this CAP, I mean I ain't making a ground fish mon lol. Draw whatever the hell you want and justify whatever the hell you want. CAP is always stretchy anyway, i drew a snake on the butt of a lion to justify coil lol. I just wanted to express that I'm not the biggest fan of ppl thinking similar abilities can be used interchangeably: there's usually a reason why an effect is split under two different names.

Last edited:
Just posting my opinion on water absorb. The japanese name is Water Storage, and this checks out for every single user. They can breathe water inside themselves, or have water stored in other ways such as Volcanion, Araquanid, cacti etc. I dont think it matters the type of animal or species or whether its a water type. But if the mon has a unique interaction with water or breathes underwater, I think it fits the criterias of Water Absorb without any stretching.

And then the next tier down is making desert animals that fit dry skin, which you could get away with with a bit of handwaving and a nice design. Its not as perfect, but it is good enough

WIP
cap31_diamondplantMon_sketch.png

I thought of roots when Water Absorb won and looked back to my previous design. After some searching, I came across the pandanus candelabrum, or the chandelier tree, a palm that's notable for growing specifically on kimberlite rich soil and is a useful indicator for diamond prospecting.
My design's basically a root creature that, when it absorbs water, grows diamonds from the plant on its back. I like to imagine that when it uses Diamond Storm it shakes the tree to scatter the diamonds in it :) still working on making the plant look more unique and less "leaves with diamond tips"

WIP

No one said it couldn’t be a baseball diamond - move over Soccer Bunny and Football Lemur, it’s Baseball Lizard time.

Had to rush a smidge today so don’t love the colors or the face, but would love some feedback!
love the idea, however (and i mean this in the nicest way possible) it looks like a naked pyroak with a bat. Altering the pose, proportions, and colors should fix this imo. Again the baseball diamond is a great idea and i think adding a crystal baseball somewhere in the design is a cool idea too

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
WIP

The design got solid reception on discord so i thought I'd post it here since this is probably what im going to end up final submitting. Went full in on the "king of diamonds" inspo and made a goofy king cobra dude with a ton of bling. The end of the tail is a king's cape, the hood looks like a diamond, and the poofy bits from under the hood look like the ends of Victorian king vests(?). Water absorb justification is that the back of the tail has sorta coral snake-y patterns+king cape looks kinda like a fin so its sorta like a serpent? Maybe? The justification is (obviously) very after the fact, but i like this design too much and i dont want to shoehorn changes to make it fit water absorb so itll just stay like this i think.

tysm to Quanyails, Pipotchi, Amamama, and Brambane for their feedback <3

WIP

This is my child, he is a Thorny Devil Lizard, but also is made out of Origami. I think he's amazing and wanted to share the idea.

Now you may be wondering, Phoenix, why did you make him Origami? Wouldn't that be more akin to a grass type?
But then remember, it's ability is Water Absorb. The Thorny Devil Lizard absorbs water through it's skin, and paper absorbs water extremely well.
Also, a typing doesn't necessarily portray to a design. It helps sure, but not absolutely necessary. Think for example, a fire type. You could make them out of lava, or have fire on the end of their tail. Or, they could be a pepper. This is a fruit, yet still works for the typing.

Either way I had fun making him, enjoy :)

(If you would like to see more and have input, go right ahead. I got nothin else to do xD)

CG.png

Last edited:
WIP
CAP_31_sketch.png

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. Figured I'd give this a shot. The colors are preliminary, of course, and subject to change.

So diamonds are formed under pressure, which is what the "layer-cake" body is supposed to imply, with the diamonds in the middle. It's rather muddy too, which helps with the Water Absorb justification. I based it off of the dinosaur cryptid Mokele-mbembe from the Congo River (more Water Absorb lore eh?), since the Democratic Republic of the Congo is one of the world's top diamond exporters. I also chose a dinosaur because of "fossil fuels," which are formed under pressure like diamonds. Some ankylosaur thrown in there too.

This Pokemon sleeps in the earth for years, sometimes decades at a time, in order to facilitate the production of diamonds in its body, which it uses for eating, digging, and battling. It prefers softened, muddy earth by rivers.

Any critique is welcome and appreciated!

WIP
View attachment 420302
Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. Figured I'd give this a shot. The colors are preliminary, of course, and subject to change.

So diamonds are formed under pressure, which is what the "layer-cake" body is supposed to imply, with the diamonds in the middle. It's rather muddy too, which helps with the Water Absorb justification. I based it off of the dinosaur cryptid Mokele-mbembe from the Congo River (more Water Absorb lore eh?), since the Democratic Republic of the Congo is one of the world's top diamond exporters. I also chose a dinosaur because of "fossil fuels," which are formed under pressure like diamonds. Some ankylosaur thrown in there too.

This Pokemon sleeps in the earth for years, sometimes decades at a time, in order to facilitate the production of diamonds in its body, which it uses for eating, digging, and battling. It prefers softened, muddy earth by rivers.

Any critique is welcome and appreciated!
have you tried orange red instead of purple?
I bet it would work with the green & tan better! :D

Also the crystals could be emeralds, made that green really show up the rest of the dirty colors!

WIP
The design got solid reception on discord so i thought I'd post it here since this is probably what im going to end up final submitting. Went full in on the "king of diamonds" inspo and made a goofy king cobra dude with a ton of bling. The end of the tail is a king's cape, the hood looks like a diamond, and the poofy bits from under the hood look like the ends of Victorian king vests(?). Water absorb justification is that the back of the tail has sorta coral snake-y patterns+king cape looks kinda like a fin so its sorta like a serpent? Maybe? The justification is (obviously) very after the fact, but i like this design too much and i dont want to shoehorn changes to make it fit water absorb so itll just stay like this i think.

tysm to Quanyails, Pipotchi, Amamama, and Brambane for their feedback <3
With the ruff and pose, your current design reminds me of Serperior too strongly. I personally advise adjusting the ruff so it doesn't resemble Serperior's tiny arms so much (maybe move the ruff's lower edging up, for example).

CAP31comic.png
Been spending all this time working on a comic of my entry to illustrate its use of Water Absorb and Diamond Storm. Hope you enjoy!

some thoughts for those of y'all who aren't in the discord afaik:
Phoenix99125: really like this! It's not very lizardlike despite what you say, but I appreciate its elegance. I do worry, however, that without selling the it-uses-diamond-storm part of the prompt, that it will not fare as well as it otherwise would, come polling time.
EnderTrenton: now this is a fun one! it's got ground, it's got gems, all it needs is to not be uh, purple. Purple is the purview of poison monsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)