CAP 30 - Part 12 - Prevo # Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
CAP 30 So Far

-----

Congrats to Unsee for their winning designs!

30b

30i

How many pre-evolutions do you think that CAP 30 should have (None, One, or Two), and why?

This thread will be open for 24 hours, after which we will open the poll for this stage.

Advocating for None. In my opinion, this design fits in with another inanimate object Pokemon like Klefki, and I agree with LucarioOfLegends that this design is perfectly fine by itself. I am also going to dispute that Pokemon that have a gimmick all have prevos, when among Pokemon with form changes relevant to battle we also have Castform, Rotom, Oricorio, Wishiwashi, Minior, Mimikyu, Cramorant, Eiscue, and Morpeko.

Last edited:
To look at some form change non-legendaries... I think we will want to go None. Even without looking at all this, this mon looks like it fits the mold of None very well, alongside others like Klefki, Carbink, or Unown.

In Battle, No PrevoIn Battle, PrevoOut of Battle, No PrevoWeird, is a prevo
CastformCherrimRotomBurmy
WishiwashiDarmanitanOricorio
MiniorAegislash
Mimikyu
Cramorant
Eiscue
Morpeko

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I personally think that we should have either One or Two prevos.

As dex rightly points out there are some important examples of object mons such as Aegislash, Chandelure, Muk (slime is an object don't at me), Electrode, Palossand, Vanilluxe etc. having either One or Two prevos.

Granted kjnjkmjk1 is also right that a lot of the non-Legendary forme change mons do tend to be single stage, I do nevertheless think that Aegislash and Darmanitan give us enough of a precedent to justify a Prevo. Especially considering the fact that Aegislash I think bears some nice similarities with 30b and 30i in that the base design is mostly the same but with more of a 'offensive' vs 'defensive' lean.

My personal preference will be One as I don't think Unsee's design really reads as being the third in a stage, but I could nevertheless still see an argument for it based on its similarities to Aegislash.

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
besides my obvious personal bias for wanting to draw a prevo, i feel like there's a ton of design space for a prevo with this mon and it'd honestly be disheartening to see it go with out one when there's so much potential.

as for flavor reasoning, although form changes based on items are relatively rare overall, there's actually a good bit of precedent for form changes or form differences with prevos. a quick bulbapedia search gives us toxtricity, lycanroc, greninja, darmanitan, aegislash, cherrim, and gastrodon (and possibly others i didnt really bother to check beyond that). i can't vouch for artistic intention, but I feel like mons like darmanitan, lycanroc, and greninja fit the "style" of forms that the Unsee was going for with the art; atleast better than the examples provided for single-stage 2 form mons.

i agree with mds that one prevo is ideal.

Going with one prevo, I think this mon needs the prevo because it looks advanced, but not to advanced. So one prevo should get the job done. Also it has the potential to have a prevo that looks good so I'm interested to see what it will become if that's the outcome.

None.
I don't think this design would lend well to any pre-evolutions at all. This design is an excellent mix of several simple ideas to create something unique. There are a variety of pre-evolution ideas that could be listed off, sure, but none of them would end up anywhere near as creative as the evolution.
Off of appearances alone, it's not quite complex enough to warrant a pre-evolution either imo. It's cohesive and plausible enough alone and fits perfectly among the single-stages. Imo, a pre-evolution wouldn't be too visually interesting by default.

Just gonna echo what others are saying and throw in some support for going with none. Most of what I would say has already been said, but I don’t really get a vibe that CAP30 needs a pre-evo. I feel like it can stand easily on its own bookends.

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
Although it is true that most form-changing, gimmicky ‘mons have no evolutionary line, I feel that CAP30 has more in common with form-changing ‘mons like Aegislash and Darmanitan than ‘mons like Oricorio and the like. CAP30 is considerably larger, more complicated, and stronger than any Castform or Wishiwashi or Rotom. Therefore, I think it would be justified to give CAP30 one prevo.

Honestly, given that it looks like a small-to-medium-sized objectmon and has a fairly simple design, I think no prevos will work best. There's also a clear precedent of multi-formed mons with no preevos.

Bloopyghost

guging
is a Pre-Contributor
While I won't have any problems with going with no prevos, I'd like to advocate for the possibility of having one prevo. While it is true that several form changing mons are single-stagers, those mons tend to have simple and cute designs (Castform, Eiscure, Oricorio, Mimikyu) or are going for a dramatic change (Wishiwashi). Whereas with mons such as Aegislash and Darmanitan, their designs are much more complex and imposing and thus call for prevos, like our book here. Looking purely from a visual design standpoint, there's room for at least one prevo here.

EDIT: Forgot to mention BST. 540 BST is incredibly high for a single stager. While it's not unheard for a single-stage mon to have a high BST, it's still rare, so that's another reason to advocate for a prevo.

EDIT 2: Forgot to clarify that I meant nonlegendaries when talking about BSTs. God I'm tired.

Last edited:
Im in favor of going with one prevo, as unsees design fits neatly with other form changing mons like Darmanitan and Aegislash.
Additionally I think outside of flavor reasoning, that creating a pre evolution, that might be usable in the newly established CAP LC could be a cool way to promote it.

I'm going for one prevo. I have not much else to say that hasn't been said before. I enjoy both Darmanitan's and Aegislash's prevos and think we can produce a goodone too.

None. Even though there could be a gimmick here like Aegislash, I can't really see this with that gimmick involved.

I'd much rather go with none. IRL, my books don't change forms, shapeshift, or metamorphose on me - how about we stick to that as closely as possible?

I'd like to see one prevo, especially since most prevoless Pokemon with multiple battle-relevant formes are legendaries, which CAP30 is not, plus there is no Pokemon with a BST of 540 that does not have a prevo.
Edit: Interestingly, Darmanitan also has a BST of 540.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)