CAP 30 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsee

so smart me, enjoy book so much
is an Artist
My first fakemon.
Hi! Cool design! You may already know this,but CAP 30 has two Formes, much like Giratina! Its Base Forme (which we’re calling “30b”) has the ability Stamina, and is built to be equally offensive and defensive, and its Item Forme (“30i”) has the ability Tinted Lens, built to be more offensive. Much like the titles suggest, 30b becomes 30i when holding a new, specific item, which you’ll also be designing. I suggest you take a look around the recent activities on the CAP forums to get acquainted with the process. Also check out the instructions at the top of this thread.

Finally, when the time comes for final submissions, make sure to put a white background behind your art :) happy drawing!

Edit: removed section about refraining from naming a design.

Last edited:

Yu_IOTJ

formerly NoahIOTJ
is a Community Contributor
WIP

I got the designs Pretty close to what I want them to be moving forward.
8C6BD102-7916-4D5A-AA2F-E580402F2925.png58F66C9C-C163-4CBE-B495-B8EA30A9E5EA.png
30b will be the good little winged boy from previous design iterations. And the 30i look will be this happy new Dumbo-style piggy.

And I got new colors for the both of them, though, the Palette is currently pending.

21C4D721-E860-489A-85FF-234B43591673.pngA26F5304-13B4-4DE3-86E4-32B032C33B7A.png

Edit: I also have some bonus support Drawings of the two formes.
CED2F91B-4258-4C63-96E8-35B6D344B793.png238A7A16-26C5-4DF1-9C07-C3B89D6AE523.png

Last edited:
I am trying to make the Base form look a little more Flying type and defensive, and the Item form a little more Poison type and offense. I have not settled on any of the design element details, but these sketches give an idea of the sorts of things I plan to do with the designs. I'll almost certainly stick with these general poses, with the Base form leaning back in a more defensive stance and the Item form leaning forward in a more attacking pose. But I want both forms to be thematically similar and of relatively equal design complexity, etc. I plan to start playing with colors soon, because I think color will be critical to expressing the differences, but also tying them together as two forms of the same pokemon species.
Neat! the friendly snakes on 30b are a nice touch but I'm not sure that the mildly annoyed snakes on 30i are really working. Maybe if they were hissing or something?

The main part that I think needs work is the way 30i’s tail connects to the body. I just drew some random round shapes, so I could really use some suggestions on how to make that look better. I also don’t know if I can justify 30i having big conical spikes when 30b has thin spindly spikes? That was what looked good to me, but I don’t think it has much logic to it. Maybe I’m wrong there? Also a bit iffy on 30b's colors, I made them darker so it would look more compressed but I might have to toy around with the palette more. Oh yeah, dunno what the item should be at all. I just made a spiraly slime thing. Suggestions on that would help too!
:O I really like your artstyle

both the spikes and connections look good to me
but if you have doubts about it maybe use biology to inspire you: a siphonophore "tail" connects to its "body" in a similar way a human spine connects to its own skull; the spikes in your design most likely correspond to bracts which serve both as protection and flotation devices and since siphonophores are soft bodied invertebrates you can claim the change in sizes for the "spikes" is just the bracts inflating or deflating

as for the item, since siphonophores are colonial organisms maybe use a smaller "poto-pokemon" to represent it? think of how Zygarde cells are supposed to make up Zygarde's body, something like that, a 30 CAP cell so to speak

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

So it's been a while and not much has changed for the concept, but Stamina and the idea that this thing would be a wall got me thinking about beefing up my guy a little. Discord watchers will know that the version between this and the last post I made was pretty swole - like maybe almost pushing Fighting-type levels, which is why I thought of toning things down a little. Thanks to Quanyails and LucarioOfLegends for their feedback on the previous version to a natural, Flying-oriented version I'm more satisfied with. Funny how we've come full circle back to oil-covered wings again. Also included is the item concept of a half sludgy, half sharp beak kunai. Hopefully this is solid enough to move onto colours and join the other iterations soon.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP
Temporary File.png

I've been focusing on my CAP 30b design, and here's what I have as of last night. '3' Thanks to Baloopy, Darquezze, KoA, Mos-Quitoxe, NoahIOTJ for feedback on Discord, and thanks to Pipotchi for having great resources for designing CAPs!

• I ended up getting rid of the monochrome aesthetic, since it was too Dark-type and graphic design-y, which wasn't working as I made the design more detailed. I still wanted to have desaturated, dark colors contrast with bright accents, so the general value balance is the same,
  • I focused on a cool and vaguely edgy aesthetic since I felt like that worked with the original plague doctor inspiration. In particular, I took inspiration from the Ancestors from Journey, which give a grandiose, looming aesthetic. Journey also ended up inspiring the square zigzags at the bottom of the robes.
  • The pose is drawn so we can see how the wings were neatly folded back and how bulky-looking the "robe" is, for Stamina.
  • The dangly bits of the hat kept obstructing the face, so I simplified it a bunch.
  • The design ended up getting some scholarly vibes from the pose, stern expression, and fancy outfit, so I ended up giving it a cravat as well. This also works well given that 30i has Zorro as an inspiration, if 30b is Zorro's fanciful civilian identity. That being said, I'm concerned about backporting these design elements to my CAP 30i design. ^^;

WIP

here's my design so far! a weird bacteriophage alien fella - it uses a big bacteria body as a host for defense in its base form, then discards the bacteria and goes nuts in its alternate form

definitely a lot more focused on "Poison" than "Flying" but ahhh don't worry about it shhh it's a secret between you and me
CAP30b-WIP3.png
CAP30i-WIP3.png

WIP

Still playing around with this pandora's box/jar idea but going more jar for this iteration ->

Base form greek pottery/angel -- Stamina justification is that it can only be unsealed via item -- any other attempt increases the seal

30i - evils of the world/demon -- Tinted lens justification uhhh it has a spooky eye :) the hand/glove is the item needed to open the jar, upon removal it'll seal back together :'(

At some point hope to have time to give people feedback, so many cool designs!

WIP
I figured I would give a few updates on my cap30 designs.
Cap30bwip3.png

30b has much more stout proportions to emphasize stamina, and im working on supplementary art on how how its throat pouch expands to absorb attacks. I changed the gradients to more 'solid' designs and added an eyebrow plate to make it look a little tougher.
Cap30iwip3.png

30i had its color pallet changed around a little bit to make the wings and body look almost like a cloak, and was given a more dinosaur-like tail to connect it more to 30b. The item is the mask that attaches to 30i's face, which grants it tinted lens.

Super impressed with everybody else's designs too! these all look incredible!

WIP
heavily overhauled my designs to be more flying-themed! i wanted to keep the virus theme, and a lightbulb went off: BIRD FLU! >:)
CAP30b-V2scaledown.png

30b is based mainly on a cassowary, with various flagella and bacteriophage limbs standing in for respective cassowary body parts...
Stamina Justification --- bacteria evolve and adapt super rapidly, also, have you tried to fistfight a cassowary?
CAP30i-V2scaledown.png

...and 30i is still mainly based on just a lone bacteriophage, but now also mimics various generic bird-like features such as beaks, feathers, and talons with its weird virus body parts
Tinted Lens Justification: it's got a BIG EYE, presumably made of the same material as its weird bacteriophage head

Last edited:
WIP

Back at it again
One more to the Asclepius/Caduceus pile. Half of this design has been turned into a wooden staff; the held item will restore it to normal.

It should be pretty clear what the held item is here (the Big Honking Red Eye of Doom, if not). Hopefully I'll be able to get all of this done _and_ explain the Lore i have thought up for it in a non-polljumpy way.

Last edited:

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

First (and possibly only?) colour pass for the murderbirbs. The umbrella motif is something that has basically faded heavily the more I let these guys sit in a corner, but thanks to Mos-Quitoxe for the inspired tip of inverting the head colours like a blown out umbrella and... inspiring the poison-tipped tip. Yellow and purple is a combination that's always straddled the boundaries of "it doesn't look great" and "it's technically complementary" so I'm still open to feedback to suggestions on that point.

WIP

Presenting a new and improved 30b and 30i! 30b now shows its shell more prominently (Which is also based on the tank Leonardo Da Vinci designed), and 30i takes on the look of a fighter jet more!
Based on:
  • Leucochloridium, a species of parasitic worm that infests snails brains and eyestalks and changes the snails behavior
  • Leonardo Da Vinci's Aerial Screw
  • Leonardo Da Vinci's Tank
  • UFO's
Based on:
  • Birds that ingest the Leucochloridium parasite via eating the snail, and spread the parasite further through droppings
  • Leonardo Da Vinci's Ornithopter
  • Secret government fighter jets that are commonly mistaken for UFO's

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP

1633924214364.png

Here's where I currently am for my CAP 30i design! It's changed a bit since the last time I posted it in the thread, but I've been posting WIPs in Discord since I've last touched my CAP 30b design. Colors and shading are subject to change still, along with whatever other flavor elements we might receive from future CAP process steps.

I wasn't satisfied with making 30i's rapier mysteriously emerge from under the cloak, so I wanted to iterate on the design with that as a motivation. I ended up making the rapier one of 30i's own tail feathers, with most of the barbs having been stripped from it. From there, it was a matter of posing the design such that it could fit into 640x640 without the rapier sticking way out. I also backported some design elements from 30b into this variation such as the yellow square zigzags and the bright blue eye.

Thanks to the following people for feedback!
  • Darquezze306 for input on colors/lighting, body shape, and level of detail.
  • Golurkyourself for the tip on how to color the rapier and on how to emphasize Tinted Lens on this forme.
  • Mos-Quitoxe for feedback on how to emphasize the monocle for Tinted Lens and general support on changes.
  • Zetalz for feedback on when the themes in my 30b and 30i designs don't work with each other (helped inspire how I colored the monocle + WIP changes to 30b design).

WIP
CAP 30b
download.png

CAP 30i
download (1).png

For the mons, they are basically done cause I suck at art and don't know how to even make them better. But I'm happy with the design and concept so im not disappointed by any means, also gj to the rest of yall so far, you are all talented and I am excited to see how the pulls will end up.

Item
download (2).png

The WIP is more for the item because I know I can do better with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)