CAP 30 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP
Cap 30b.png
CAP 30i.png

Made a design for 30b and heavily revised the one for 30i to make it look more menacing.

30b's design is still based on the gryphon one from before but now more stable (mainly because it didn't get rid of the majority of its body yet) and not expelling as much poison. I designed it after Mamuta (since 30i was on Smoky Progg) and the Hooded pitohui as the bird is toxic and the hind legs are based on a platypus as they have venom there too.

As 30b it uses the eyes on the center of its head to see while the gem eyes 30i has are cracked and are basically unusable.

I kept the constantly decaying flesh aspect of 30i but I mainly wanted to amplify the gaseous nature of it.

WIP

Venomous Pegasus Gorgon. The idea here is that in the myth, Pegasus was born from Medusa's blood when she was killed. As it is born from her blood, in my version it also shares her blood in the genetic sense, and so it shares characteristics of horses, snakes, and birds, though it was important to me that it also kinda look like it's own creature, not just like... a horse with snakes for hair or something more obvious.

As far as forms go, this is likely for the Stamina form. That lean, snakelike body is solid muscle, while long legs make it a good runner, and the wings for flight make this thing very capable in that regard. That said it's the first draft and *shrug* who knows.

Also, while it is very beautiful and majestic as a pegasus should be, I'm thinking it'll have the color scheme of an oil slick. Black, with those luminescent greens and purples for highlights.

Unsee

so smart me, enjoy book so much
is an Artist
WIP

Hello again, everyone! I've been trying to do some refinements to my flying-inky-book design and am excited to present what I've been working on lately. Now that Stamina is officially 30b's ability, I've added a little scrunchie/sweatband to its feather-ponytail I'll be continuing to make revisions to ensure that it fits. I'm happy with the bat-like proportions of my base forme so far. I've been having a lot of fun trying to pin down what the item form will look like — my latest idea is below! The book kinda explodes and rearranges itself.

It's been amazing seeing all of your ideas so far, and I can't wait to see how they continue to develop. Cheers!

Base form (Stamina):
Bookwyrm Redraw Base Forme Smol.png

Item form (Tinted Lens):
Bookwyrm Redraw Item Forme Smol.png

Here they are side by side, featuring an inkwell - the (yet-unnamed) item used to swap forms.
Bookwyrm Redraw Side by Side Smol.png

Last edited:

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

"Oh, don't mind me. I'm just your average traveling kabuki crane thing. Nope, nothing suspicious up my sludgy feather arms. There's absolutely no hidden dangers to be worried about - "

" - one two three DEATH"

Stamina, thankfully, is just slightly generic enough to not completely override a design unlike Fluffy or Water Bubble. I still had some affinity for the idea of an assassin who assumes a normal civilian look in its other forme, and the motifs of an umbrella, bird and secret agent reminded me of covert Japanese agents. (Stamina = Endurance, and... a crane needs stamina to stand for long hours and an assassin needs stamina to wait for their mark to walk by?) 30b is roughly based on kabuki outfits (hence the sludgy feather sleeves with fingers) and the Japanese stork, with a umbrella-themed rice hat to give it that incognito look. For 30i, I took some advice on the Discord and toned down the radioactive theme and umbrella tail, and it looks close enough to the original murder umbrella without being as much of a mish-mash of ideas crammed together. It's still not stopping me from making a skull-shaped ruff for both formes, though. I'm thinking the item is either the scopic lens in 30i or a sort of "assassin's contract" - maybe a tessen for the tail? (Tessens were originally going to somehow feature in 30b, but... well, Ghost Oricorio's a thing.)

WIP
download (6).png

The beginning of my CAP 30b, I have a plan for it and it's definitely not done yet. You'll see how it ties with my CAP 30i. Anyways, who doesn't like a flying blob? :)

Edit: I made it look a bit better with shading, I also added snake boi (kinda) you can see where the item is placed on his forehead.

Last edited:
Cap30bwip1.png
Cap30iwip1.png

This is my first go at this but I've been following the CAP process for quite a while and wanted to finally take a shot at art designs, so heres some colored roughs of my interpretation for CAP30: A prehistoric-esc 'mon with features from lots of different birds, and its spiked plague doctor counterpart!
Feedback is of course greatly appreciated!

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
WIP
30b
symbiosiscroc.png

30b ability had me unsatisfied with my peafowl. So I decided to take a much more slimy, symbiotic route. Based on the supposed commensalism (supposed since has never been documented on film) between the Egyptian plover and Nile crocodile, this Pokemon proves two heads are better than one! Especially when the lazy head has a noxious, bone-crushing bite. There is also some inspiration from "sewer gators" and how alligators cover themselves in muck and duckweed.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I'm jumping in the pool late here, but wanted to at least throw out what I've been planning at least. I basically am repurposing one of my old WIP designs from the last CaP here, but since this one's framework fits it so well, it seems like the universe aligned with me a bit there.

The concept is kinda obvious here. If you want a Flying/Poison mon with tinted lens, you want a vampire in your corner. To invoke the poison aspect more, I based it physically more on Count Olrok as opposed to Dracula, as Olrok was associated with plague and death in his film. Olrok also has a more feral look to him in stark contrast to Dracula's more refined noble allure; so i felt it would translate better as a pokemon design. This is apparent in the long poisonous claws as well as sharp fangs. I say all of this of course, but I couldnt resist modelling its wings into a full-on cape; so really, he's kind of a mix between both Counts I suppose.

I know doing a bat design for a Poison/Flying type probably sets up a few comparisons to another batty line, however I'm hoping the stark difference in body structures between the two differentiates the count here from the others.

As far as the base form goes, I have something in the works there, so hopefully I can get it posted tomorrow. Thanks for lookin'!

WIP
30b

30b ability had me unsatisfied with my peafowl. So I decided to take a much more slimy, symbiotic route. Based on the supposed commensalism (supposed since has never been documented on film) between the Egyptian plover and Nile crocodile, this Pokemon proves two heads are better than one! Especially when the lazy head has a noxious, bone-crushing bite. There is also some inspiration from "sewer gators" and how alligators cover themselves in muck and duckweed.
a lovely picture, but those wings don't feel enough to justify flying type to me, sorry! it's pretty much the only critique i have though!

WIP

I slightly changes the desing of 30b, mainly adding some nice shading, changed the shape of the eyes, deleted some horns, overall small changes, while the item forme got some more drastic changes, the tail and wing are completelly diferent, mainly to resemble more to real rock candy, the wings to are a bit imperfect and i wanna hear some feedback before i settle on them.

Last edited:
WIP
30b
View attachment 373601
I think this has a lot of potential. While the smallness of the bird might not convey 'Flying', maybe the 30i version of this design could have something like a role reversal of the bird growing/croc shrinking, or could riff on the idea while also going against the 'avian grain' as it were, and do something like a winged crocodile on its own. Besides which, I think that the dopey expression of the croc is super cute and I think there's a lot of room to contrast it against the 30i form.

WIP

CAP 30 V1.png

Inspired by ostriches burying their heads underground, this pompous, parasite-infected bird only shows its head when wearing its crown. In this case, the crown is none other than a smaller, Tinted Lens-granting version of the parasite attached to its tail. Although too ashamed to show its face without its crown, this mon still wants opponents to observe its greatness, so it mocks its own head in its 30b form.

Modedit: Changing oversized image to thumbnail.

Last edited by a moderator:

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
WIP

Well, finally sat down to spend more time with these guys, And I feel like I settled on a second form I'm happy with!

Only issue is I'm still kind of holding off to see how the stats go before I pull the trigger on who exactly is what form, so I kind of cheated and made it so either design can realistically implement both abilities. However, I did initially have it in my head that the cloaked form was the item, while the other would be the base, but again this is dependent on stats at this point. However regardless of how stats shape up, I am planning on drawing the first form in a new pose, one that shows better what exactly is under the cloak and how its wings fold out.

If you want to dive down the rabbit hole of the design concept, here ya go:

As you might have guessed, my CaP 30 design is based off of the legends and mythos of Vampires. We are all familiar with the mental imagery of the suave nobleman of the night thanks to Bram Stoker's legendary novel; which jettisoned the beasts into modern culture ever since. However this is only one interpretation of the beasts, as many stories and myths from places for centuries had their own versions of the blood-suckers, and they are almost unrecognizable as the same creatures compared to 'ol Drac.

Before being depicted as the fancy undead bois, Vampires were much more simplistic and feral in their nature. They were more similar to something like a werewolf, with some places having the two be treated as the same. Myths range from them as being either undead, demons from hell, supernatural entities, or even just large beasts. In any case, they were all great at killing. Intelligence varied a bit as well depending on the story; with some being capable of living amongst humans, while others were driven purely by instinct and hunger. Supposedly vampires were not perfect in their shapeshifting, and you could out one by looking at their lower legs; they could not transform their cloven hooves and furry legs (Think of the Devil), so care was taken to cover that up if they were planning on going that route.

All these older proto-vampires didn't care so much about draining blood from a victim, they just delighted in killing. These lesser ones were also capable of limited shapeshifting, but the ability was much less effective, and the beasts often took a form that resembled a human, but much more corpse-like and emaciated, with very limited speech. Some of these would hide out and stalk victims, mimicking voices they would be familiar with in an attempt to get them unguarded and strike. A funny theory is that we as humans developed Pareidolia and the Uncanny Valley effect due to them being able to resemble humans, but the minor imperfections in their shapeshifting make them look off and it fills some folks with a sense of dread, and the behavior just stayed with us as a species.

So all that being said, I think its obvious now where the design influence for the second form came from. This form is the Vampire, stripped away of its elegance and reverted to its bestial, feral form. Chronologically, I had the headcanon that the feral Vampire is actually the "true" form of this Pokemon, giving in to all its dark desires and brutality. It's a strong bloodlust and hunger that compels this beast, and it will relentlessly pursue its quarry until this has been satisfied. This would be where "Stamina" is justified in the design.

Over the years, the vampire has learned to control these impulses and keep itself in check, spending its days hiding away from the daylight where it can wait until night and hunt prey virtually undetected due to the visibility. This has trained its eyes to be able to pinpoint prey from any distance and in any darkness. This would be the justification for "Tinted Lens".

The Poison/Flying typing is represented well by both forms I believe as vampires are almost always associated with pestilence and outbreaks, weakening or killing entire populations and picking off the stragglers. Not only this, but both forms spot wicked sets of toxic claws and fangs. Flying I should hope I don't need to explain. As stated in my last post; the cloaked form is based physically on a mixture of Count Orlok and Dracula, whereas the other one is based on these old were-vamps. During times of strong bloodlust or uncontrollable hunger, the Pokemon abandons its collected demeanor and reverts to this primal beast who then rampages til its hunger is sated.; at which point it changes back and remains dormant until the next nightfall, hunting with its impressive night vision.

Again, I'm waiting to see how stats shape up before I definitely go through with this, though the designs work in reverse as well, so yay there. I hope you enjoyed this overly long CaP explanation/vampire lesson.

Last edited:
WIP
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG

30b on left, 30i on right

I took the concept of ninja weapons, I was interested in how to almost make a sister concept to Aegislash in the form changing weapons style. Super rough sketches to get some feedback.

30b is a smoke bomb bird, wrapped in a cloak to convey a bit more tankiness and weight. 30i is a kusarigama, which is a sickle attached to a chain with a weight on the other end. The cloak has been whipped out into wings, with poison elements on both the sickle head and tail.

Will try to post feedback soon as well!

Bloopyghost

guging
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

9-21-21a.png

This is my very first post, so forgive me if I screwed something up (and also for image compression, I used a giant canvas ;3;).

OG High Res Image Below

9-21-21.png

Anyways, after messing around with a lot of different ideas, I’ve settled on these for now. Of course, I’ll be reworking them based on feedback, but these are my current rough designs.

So I was thinking that such a bizarre combo of traits warranted an equally bizarre design. I wanted to avoid wings, and I stumbled upon the idea of a creature using its long spiraling tail to fly. Then I remembered a real life lengthy creature that often does spiral, Praya dubia, also known as the giant siphonophore. Since all siphonophores are laced with venomous units, this would perfectly fit Poison. It also made me think of a good way to tie in Tinted Lens too: add units that specialize in seeing like in real siphonophores.

When I saw that the primary ability would be Stamina, my first thought was to have this long tail coil and compress tightly around the main body, forming a sort of rubbery shell/vehicle. After playing around with designs for 30b, I came upon a sort of upside down cone shape. I realized that the shape I drew looked a lot like Leonardo da Vinci’s tank flipped upside down. And then it clicked... my idea for 30i’s spiraling shape also vaguely resembled da Vinci’s helicopter. This was just the thing I needed to tie the two forms together!

So basically, my take on CAP 30, at least for now, is a Praya dubia mon whose main form is a sturdy and defensive da Vinci tank while its visually-augmented, offensive form takes the appearance of a da Vinci helicopter. And for extra visual clarity, I made the main body look kinda like an arrow so that it would point up or down depending on its form.

The main part that I think needs work is the way 30i’s tail connects to the body. I just drew some random round shapes, so I could really use some suggestions on how to make that look better. I also don’t know if I can justify 30i having big conical spikes when 30b has thin spindly spikes? That was what looked good to me, but I don’t think it has much logic to it. Maybe I’m wrong there? Also a bit iffy on 30b's colors, I made them darker so it would look more compressed but I might have to toy around with the palette more. Oh yeah, dunno what the item should be at all. I just made a spiraly slime thing. Suggestions on that would help too!

Modedit: Changing overzied image to thumbnail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Temporary File.png

Thanks to MrDollSteak, I noticed that blending southwest US/Mexican themes with the gentleman thief motif trope gives you Zorro, so I ended up using that as additional inspiration. I was having a hard time figuring out where to put the saber, so I ended up taking a page out of my Plasmanta entry and making it a "blade under the sleeve" sort of thing. I'm still playing with the body shape here, depending on where stats go. Also thanks to Darquezze and Mos-Quitoxe on input on how to integrate the saber into the design!

Temporary File 1.png

Here's what I'm working on for the other form, too. Since I ditched the throwing quills, I got rid of the gunslinger inspiration and made this design more of a wandering nomad sort of thing for Stamina. Inspirations include Journey, Shy Guys, and Scaramouche (Genshin Impact). It still needs more inspiration, though. '3' Thanks to Sunfished and Yokaiju for feedback on Discord!.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
WIP

So for CAP 30 I am going with a design based on a Caduceus:

The Caduceus is a winged staff entwined by two serpents, carried by Mercury (Hermes), the messenger of the gods in mythology. The mixture of Wings and Snakes is a perfect fit for Poison/Flying typing, I think. And I love Greek and Roman mythology, so using this symbol is great fun for me.

I am trying to make the Base form look a little more Flying type and defensive, and the Item form a little more Poison type and offense. I have not settled on any of the design element details, but these sketches give an idea of the sorts of things I plan to do with the designs. I'll almost certainly stick with these general poses, with the Base form leaning back in a more defensive stance and the Item form leaning forward in a more attacking pose. But I want both forms to be thematically similar and of relatively equal design complexity, etc. I plan to start playing with colors soon, because I think color will be critical to expressing the differences, but also tying them together as two forms of the same pokemon species.

We'll see how it goes. Comments certainly welcomed and appreciated!

Last edited:
WIP
CAP30b_FlatColors.png
CAP30i_FlatColors.png
Did some more work on my vampy; there was a lot of things I wanted to put into the base form (such as a top hat), but it came off as either too weird/unnatural looking, so I just kept it as a simple, humble little bat. I think it makes a great contrast against the item form as is (which I've noticed resembles a dandy a little)
I was going to go with red for the inside of the wings, but I felt hot pink would compliment it better with the poison typing.

Supporting Art:
Held Item
Based off of bat flies, wingless parasites that feed off of bats and may spread bacteria, and a brooch; the design is ambiguous enough to either appear as a simple object or an actual parasite.

30i Back View (Wings)
30i Front+Back View (Wingless)
Rough idea of how the wings form and look for the item form. I'd like to give the back little yellow spots so they resemble buttons on the back of a jacket, but I'm getting the feeling it'd look too bare with just those spots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)