CAP 11 CAP 11 - Part 9 - Art Poll 4

What art should be used for CAP 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
picked voodoom because its a good design and the backstory works - its a pokemon that grew up taking abuse and is now ready to dish it back out - simple as that

Voted Kukem; Dougjustdoug's is great, but I cannot for the life of me see where the design exemplifies fighting; dark, yes, but not fighting. It looks far too soft to fit the type.

True, however this shouldn't be about preferences per se, it should be about what Pokémon looks like they fit better.

A 'bit' of an exaggerated example, but what do you think is more realistic as a Pokémon with let's say Normal/Flying typing with the ability Intimidate with base stats of 80 HP / 120 Atk / 60 Def / 60 Sp. Atk / 60 Sp. Def / 130 Spd: a cute, innocent looking Snail Pokémon with small wings that looks fairly bulky but also looks pathetically slow and only averagely powerful, or a generic bird (touched up to be at least only about 40% generic) that looks fairly intimidating, strong and swift, but also frail? Sure the snail may overall look a bit 'cooler' than the bird in the majority's eyes, but at the same time it looks like anything but intimidating, strong, fast and frail, which logically should make it an easy victory for the bird.

For the sake of example let's say that while the majority thought the snail was more badass than the bird, they also recognized that it just doesn't play the part of the designed Pokémon, and so ultimately they opted for the still fairly cool bird Pokémon (it must be at the very least decent otherwise it wouldn't have made it to the end.) This should work in a similar manner (that being said obviously everybody has their own views on what looks like it fits everything better, and the Voodoom/Kukem's Pokémon 'showdown' isn't open-and-shut like my example, but your vote for should be based on which of them looks like it fits better, not who looks cooler.)
Despite the really exaggerated example situation, this posts sums up perfectly what I was getting at. It all comes down to which is the more believable design.

............However, it looks like my position on this won't amount to a hill of beans in a few minutes given the poll numbers..........

It was a close vote, but in the end, I liked Kukem's.

Doug's was great, but it didn't really fit the theme. Kukems looks like it could use moves like Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse, and the Crystals could be used to absorb Electricity. Plus, it looks like it could Sucker Punch someone at any given time. The Stat spread really fit Kukem's design well. Overall, Doug's was good, but Kukem's was better.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anyone who does not vote for DougJustDoug will be making the incorrect choice.

Doug's is both artistically fantastic and fits the concept, without being clichéd [unlike Kukem's]

As the Smog's art correspondent I am putting my full backing behind Doug.

That's nice, Alchemator. Maybe you can stop being a dick for a second to Kukem by calling his artwork "cliche" and toting around your omgSmog badge like an artwork demi-god.

wow, that post was supportive.

Helix: Alchemator's not being a dick, he just support the evidence of his choice with good and simple arguments, and yes, by his status of recognized artist and artistic judge, his choice will have a heavier impact that yours. He doesnt act like a demi-god of any sort.

btw, Kukem's entry is kind of cliché. Actually his concept and Aragornbird's look very similar to me.

Alchemator

That's nice, Alchemator. Maybe you can stop being a dick for a second to Kukem by calling his artwork "cliche" and toting around your omgSmog badge like an artwork demi-god.
It's called putting all of my efforts behind the person who should win :P

And hey it is clichéd, I'm entitled to my opinion.

Yeah, kay. He's "Sprite correspondent" and he gets the uplift on any other spriter or artist because he has a badge?

You can put your efforts behind somebody, but bolding and italicizing untact words is totally unnecessary don't you think? Not to mention denoting every one of those 255 people who voted as such is making a bad decision. I personally prefer Kukem's, but I'm not gonna scream at Doug in bolded words saying his just doesn't fit the concept.

Alchemator

Yeah, kay. He's "Sprite correspondent" and he gets the uplift on any other spriter or artist because he has a badge?

You can put your efforts behind somebody, but bolding and italicizing untact words is totally unnecessary don't you think? Not to mention denoting every one of those 255 people who voted as such is making a bad decision. I personally prefer Kukem's, but I'm not gonna scream at Doug in bolded words saying his just doesn't fit the concept.
Really Helix, since I fully support Doug I do believe that every one of those 255 people are making the wrong decision, I won't deny it. The formatting is to gain attention and emphasise my point, you can't really criticise me for that. If you wanted to persuade people wouldn't you do the same?

But please, let's end this here. I don't want a personal dispute to get in the way of proceedings.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

lol, Alch has every right to do so. Having a badge is a sign of power, and Alch has every right to wield that power/authority however he wants as long as it doesn't break the rules.

No, people should be voting for what THEY think should win, not yourself or anyone else. This isn't a debate thread or anything.. They're both excellent pieces of artwork, so voting one over the other shouldn't be a "bad" decision. ;/

I've known Alchemator now for almost nine months, I'm not predatorizing his Smog badge, thank you iss. Yes, he deserves one, but it shouldn't make his artistic opinion better than anyone else's.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey uhh as much as I hate to break up the lovefest, we're still dealing with this. It isn't "over", doug hasn't officially "won" yet. Check back for more details later.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ok so upon further inspection, there were some cheaters in the poll. As you can see, the vote totals have been altered. However, there were traces of manipulation in the poll. Just know that we can tell if you cheat/manipulate results, and that this will be addressed in a PR thread after this CAP concludes. However, DougJustDoug is still the winner!

<~tennisace> anyway doug, now that you've won the poll, what are you going to do?
<~DougJustDoug> I'm going to Disney World!
Above log is not real, Doug isn't really going to Disney. However he still won his first art poll so yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)