BW OU Teambuilding Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Approved by: Ransei
Teambuilders:
Finchinator dice Nalorium Caetano93 and me
Art by me

Hello everyone! welcome to the first edition of BW OU Teambuilding Workshop, The goal of this thread is to have a place where you can ask experienced users for help creating a team around a core or Pokemon you may have had trouble building with, saw on the forums, or are generally curious about, and one of us can reply with the team as well as the teambuilding process we had so the original requester can see how the team developed and get ideas on how to build their own teams in the future. Anyone is allowed to post here no matter how experienced or inexperienced a battler you might be, and even if you don't have a core idea of your own you can search in the Good Cores thread so you dont post a non-viable core.

Rules:

• Have a one paragraph description with the set / core you want us to build around and a slight idea of what kind of team you want the end result to be. Also, actually have the set(s) you want us to use in your post. This makes the process of building teams faster for all of us here.
  • Do not post asking us to make use of uncompetitive Pokemon. This is not a competition to see how good we are at teambuilding; this is us trying to educate people on what is good and how to build effective teams.
  • Do not delete/edit your post once you've posted, as it difficult trackin it.
  • Note that we have the right to decline any core request if we deem that it isn't viable or worthy enough to build around, please keep that in mind.
  • Do not flame people for asking for a certain Pokemon or that they can't build one themselves.
  • Please don't nag anyone of us to build fast, etc. We will try to make teams that are the best and it does take time so please keep patience
  • You are free (and highly encouraged) to suggest and post changes / critiques you've made to already posted teams that you feel improve them.
  • However, you are not allowed to post your own teams here to have us modify them. We're here to build new teams, not modify older ones. If you want your own teams critiqued and modified, post them in the RMT forum, not here.
  • Only one request per person, or only one core per person. You may post a new request if your old post isn't in Unclaimed Request or is just dropped, or if your team has been built.
  • Don't post a core if the workshop is closed.
  • We'll let you guys know when we're considering adding people to the teambuilding crew.
  • New Rule: Asking for a team with a B rank pokemon to Unlisted one in Viability Ranking is allowed, but the request will be restricted to build around that Pokemon and not around a core.

- Chomp / Keldeo / Tran core
- Specs Hydreigon
- Reuniclus Rain/Weatherless or Reuniclus Sand w CM+Recover
- Forretress

- Gyarados + Excadrill by Finchinator
- SubLoom + Jirachi by Finchinator

Last edited:
Well i would like to request a team with Suicune + Magnezone , i feel with the ban of sleep we are seeing way less amoonguss so i kinda wanna see if we can make a team that explore the strenght of suicune against their most usual checks ( Jellicent,Latios and Ferrothorn) so I thinking maybe Suicune + Mag + Pursuit Ttar?? Lets do your best Jhonx

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
Well i would like to request a team with Suicune + Magnezone , i feel with the ban of sleep we are seeing way less amoonguss so i kinda wanna see if we can make a team that explore the strenght of suicune against their most usual checks ( Jellicent,Latios and Ferrothorn) so I thinking maybe Suicune + Mag + Pursuit Ttar?? Lets do your best Jhonx
Suicune HATES Sand and Rest-Cune is kind of worthless in BW with the Sleep changes. Suicune with Sand is just a worse Keldeo 95% of the time.

That makes Suicune probably best suited for Rain-Teams. Politoed+Tentacruel+Suicune(SubTect)+ 2-3 answers for electrics/Grass-Mons should do the trick.

Ahmad Alfatih

Tailwind HO - Jhonx.

I built this using the core requested and it was the only idea I had, I tried lot of archetypes like Rain, Sand, but Weatherless was the only that worked well and surprisingly had like perfect matchup vs Smurf HO which is spammed lately, this team works with suicide lead that setup rocks and tailwind before die, tailwind support Kyurem-Black and Scizor making them faster to hit hard, Suicune supports this strategy and it brings a soft steel / fire check to the team, it have nice speed as well helping to keep setting up tailwind, Magnezone supports killing Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, the main steels that stop Kyurem and this supports Latios as well, which its Scarf for fast tailwinds or just to control threats, while Scizor last offer the team a good powerful priority and a Latios Soft-Check.

Vincune Rain - Jhonx

This team is built around Suicune only, this was the first team done because in some moment I failed to create a good team with Suicune + Magnezone, this team aims to abuse of Suicune Sub strategy, supported by Tentacruel Toxic Spikes for PP Stall and Toxic Stall, Politoed have special defense for tank better Alakazam and Latios, Ferrothorn run Worry Seed with dual spikes to pressure more dragmag builds, a good option is run Gyro Ball instead Worry Seed, but Dragmag is really hard matchup without Worry Seed because ur only dragon resist will be trapped, Latios scarf to have speed control and check Thundurus, while Thundurus-T offer me offensive presence with Substitute to get past through Ferrothorn and stuff, Thundurus timid here because I felt I had to be faster than Tentacruel to support Vincune set work, this Thundurus can be modest hitting 292 Spe and the left EVs in Special Attack.

Alright boys, as discussed in the BW discord I will refrain from requesting something spicy like darm or volbeat. So Sharpedo it is. Any set is fine, if you want to be boring mixed life orb or full physical are fine. Or you can go the full special bpass recipient route. One request only, do not pair it with scarf latios. Every time I build around Sharpedo I end up using scarf lati with it because it solves so many problems. Have fun, and thank you.

I would like to request a Balance team with those two :
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
- Roost

Reuniclus @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Guard
- Acid Armor
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover

I would like to request a Ditto semistall / stall, as the teams I usually build in BW tend to be very dragmag weak (and Smurf HO weak now). I tried to build with Ditto a lot, but to no success. Pretty appreciated if you guys could help me in this regard.
Ditto isn't a stall mon. It main use is as a sweeper control in weatherless teams. Ones with Suicide Skarmory + 4 setup mons are the way Ditto work.
If you want, I made recently a Ditto HO that got very high sucess rate in tour games.

:skarmory: :reuniclus: :latios: :chandelure: :ditto: :garchomp:

Togekiss @ Leftovers
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
- Roost

Reuniclus @ Rocky Helmet
- Acid Armor
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover
Its quite hard making a good balance with these sets, do you mind if I change the sets?

bw understander

Banned deucer.
ah yes!!
Togekiss @ Leftovers
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
- Roost

Reuniclus @ Rocky Helmet
- Acid Armor
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover
the togekiss very fun but lose to the excadril and the latios... the rotomw most improtantly. plus no defense. for a team of course.

you need the paralyze in the medium speed pokemons like exca and latios... then swap in via uturn. plus the punish for the rotom-w, for he is sinister volt switch user.

and of course he is best in the sand or no weather. rain attacks are STRong plus the thunderus will come in

https://pokepast.es/89bd116570ad79e9

i invent this teamstyle. but perhaps he is better with the excadril sand spin. water attackers can damage very much team.

ofcourse reuni and the togekiss are much hard to use on same teamstyle.

Alright boys, as discussed in the BW discord I will refrain from requesting something spicy like darm or volbeat. So Sharpedo it is. Any set is fine, if you want to be boring mixed life orb or full physical are fine. Or you can go the full special bpass recipient route. One request only, do not pair it with scarf latios. Every time I build around Sharpedo I end up using scarf lati with it because it solves so many problems. Have fun, and thank you.
The shark is stupid dificult to build, lmao. Every time i try to make a slot for it i think Keldeo fits better, kek.
Anyway, i have this one. Not sure if its good but it is the best i could do without Latios or Bpass Celebi.

:politoed: :landorus-therian: :ferrothorn: :tentacruel: :dragonite: :sharpedo:

I'm curious about Gyarados and excadrill because they have excellent defensive synergy. I know Gyarados doesn't really like sand but I think it could work.

Edit: I just realized because of both of these mon's extraordinary resists, the only types you have to cover are ice and grass. I'm especially interested in a bulky team utilizing gyara's pseudo physical defenses and excadrill's decent bulk. I'm excited to see the results!

Last edited:
Given the lack of Hydreigon sample teams and the controversy as to its tiering in the latest VR update/the lack of replays in this SPL, I'd be very interested to see how it might shine best in the current metagame. Caetano suggested the following set in a sand structure in the VR thread, but I'm definitely not married to it, mostly just interested to see how Hydreigon might be used in the current metagame, whatever that might look like.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast / Flamethrower
- Earth Power / Surf / U-turn

bw understander

Banned deucer.
Given the lack of Hydreigon sample teams and the controversy as to its tiering in the latest VR update/the lack of replays in this SPL, I'd be very interested to see how it might shine best in the current metagame. Caetano suggested the following set in a sand structure in the VR thread, but I'm definitely not married to it, mostly just interested to see how Hydreigon might be used in the current metagame, whatever that might look like.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast / Flamethrower
- Earth Power / Surf / U-turn
helo for the hydreoigon frist you must think why to use. he is much like the latios - but he have good coverage for the steels. He exchange for the low speed and dark type of course. so you must say "hmm he has no defense for my team like latios but he is stronger offense" since he will not survive the keldeo now or speed fast then terrakion or garchomp. BUT he resist pursuit and is strong vs the reunicles.

now we must thin BEYOND. how we get this strong mon into battlefield if he is not defense like latios? of course uturn and volt switch. but also he has the eq and the water resist. scald burn are danger so we want partner pokemons to lure the normal water move. Hydro pump but not volt switch or willofwisp from sinistar rotomw is a good start. so is the eq lure from gliscor or excaril. think now! we must try gliscor partner - he make rotomw want to click hydro pump but not other moves AND he learn the uturn

now we must think EVEN FRUTHER BEYOND. you have the modest hydreogon. but the timid outspeed the excadril and all landorust AND tenta AND thunderus. of course you see valuability here. your defensive is bad so more speed is key to kill first.

:hydreigon: :gliscor: :rotom-wash: :jirachi: :mamoswine: :latios:
https://pokepast.es/549a3abb58f42ae5

of course the rotomw eat the toxic water for you. plus he volt switch for free hydreigon. same for gliscor, lure the hydro and uturn, and the jira lure the ground or steel with utrn. of course the jira cannot get the SR against excadril teams. so you have good attackers against the excadril. but you use the hydreigon to break that team. Mamoswine is good with utun and he force the rotomw to use the hydro like glsicor. Plus he cover the thunderus because latios used for keldeo. AND most improtant he give the kill opponent latios since the jira can lose to the latios and then he is fast and kill all.

also exchange the choice scarf with latios and rotomw is accept. you must use the colbur hp fire latios then. of course he is better now like this against the keldeo with pursuit style. But rotomw is now strugglw with longrterm burn on the ferro... and the ground.

ah yes the bonus team that take me +150 point on ladder of course!!!

https://pokepast.es/0eb785d5b165327e

terrak he stop SR and thnu

Stoked

Banned deucer.
ah yes the bonus team that take me +150 point on ladder of course!!!

https://pokepast.es/0eb785d5b165327e

terrak he stop SR and thnu
Awesome team man, I've always liked this style of terrakion rain HO ever since i saw CTCs 2013 team. The last time I saw someone using it, was McMeghan in his classic 4 run, and i have to admit that I thought this style of rain was dead, so it's always cool to see people bring it back. I am having a blast using it, thanks for this one bro.

Togekiss Offense - Jhonx
/
beatiful sorry, I failed to make a Balanced team with the core you requested, had to change the style and sets to make it work, built this offense based on SubPlot Togekiss with screens support and other setup pokemon to win, team is very simple, Azelf set screens, or setup SR in field being able to explosion, Togekiss under screens dont get Substitute easily broke, Breloom support Togekiss agaisnt steel types or rock types, Scizor Scarf trap Latios and have a decent speed tier, Cloyster setup with screens but Cloyster can be replaced with Starmie because team is weak to hazzards, Starmie solves that and gives better MU vs Rain and Reuniclus TR set because in offense it can clean in late game, this was the best team I managed to build with Togekiss...

Sharpedo Rain - Jhonx

Chompx29 this is my attempt with Sharpedo, I wasnt able to make something without use Latios, Sharpedo is so restrictive when building around it... This team is simple too, Politoed defensive to keep Rain during the game and check some stuff like Landorus, Tyranitar, etc. Ferrothorn setup hazzards for the team and set run Leech Seed + Mail to avoid Latios Trick weakness, Gyro Ball avoid opposing Thundurus to make Substitute but Gyro can be changed to Power Whip if u feel its needed, Starmie gives more offensive pressure to the team, Splash Plate can trick your opp and make them think its Specs Starmie letting you hit another stuff with a super effective hit, while you still hit hard as possible Hydro Pumps in Rain, Sharpedo can break teams with Spikes and SR in field, Latios Scarf to have a good speed control, and Thundurus / Keldeo soft check, lastly the team run Thundurus as well to lure Ferrothorn and other stuff.

Raahel

MANO TENGO FE
is a Tiering Contributor
I can have 2 teams with CM Reuniclus? Obviously CM and Recover but the other two moves already depend on the team, just be one Rain and the other Sand, If you can not Rain that is something Weatherless or Dragmag I do not know your decision.

Garrett

Banned deucer.
I have no idea how to build a BW OU team. Requesting some whacky balance starring Toxic Spikes Forretress (TSpikes/Spin/EQ/HP Ice ? might be a trash set) + with any nonstandard Substitute abuser with the T-Spikes. I tried the six of TTar/Forre/Jellicent/Lando-T/Jirachi (Sub + CM)/Zam and I didn't think what I made was that good but I'd be interested in knowing what is similar but is good.

Good evening! So, i wanna make a team around dragonite and snorlax, i also love umbreon but ppl told me that snorlax and umbreeon arent good pokemon , at least in ou, so its ok if u cant fit all of em.Thanks in advance!

Reactions: FNH

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Good evening! So, i wanna make a team around dragonite and snorlax, i also love umbreon but ppl told me that snorlax and umbreeon arent good pokemon , at least in ou, so its ok if u cant fit all of em.Thanks in advance!
Hi! Great choice with Dragonite, but I think you will need to give some more specifics here as to what set of Dragonite you would like to have built around. Dragonite is seen commonly in a variaty of different builds ranging from Hyper Offensive to more defensive sand and rain builds. There are two different sets featured in the current Samples set. The smogon dex analysis has 8 (I think) different sets as well. What set Dragonite is, is largely determined by the style of team it is on. For example, Drag-Mag archetypes will have either the Choice Band set or maybe even the Dragon Dance set, both looking to capitalize on that power. The famous Smurf Hyper offense team runs Dragonite with the Dragon Dance set to smash through opponents with +1 atk +1 spd. Bulkier Sand and Rain teams though generally have a bulkier Substitute / Dragon Claw / Roost / Dragon Dance set which abuses Multiscale and bulk to give you a Mon that really just doesn't die (I have been running :tyranitar::gastrodon::starmie::magnezone::landorus-therian::Dragonite: myself, far from perfect but fun to play none the less). There are also the more niche (but still viable) mixed sets that can be featured on other Rain builds. These usually have a mixture of Hurricane / Roost / Earthquake / Substitute to take advantage of STAB Hurricane bolstered by the 100% accuracy in the Rain. Each one of these sets are generally featured in vastly different teams. I think Jhonx~ is going to need some more specifics on what Dragonite set you want in order to build you a team here, cause saying you would like a Dragonite alone is very vague. But anywho great choice, Dragonite is a great mon in the tier!

Snorlax and Umbreon tho, I would venture to say that both of these mons are objectively bad in the OU. Fighting types and general power of the mons in the OU really just smash these two. Maybe Jhonx has an idea or two on how to make them work, but I would venture to say that they are not viable what so ever, not even at the niche viablilty level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)