OU BW OU Team Building Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
:ninetales: :chansey: :xatu: :donphan: :darmanitan::jellicent:

https://pokepast.es/6aec4a5fc7d973a0

Sun team featuring xatu donphan core mentioned in the sun manifesto. Xatu prevents skarm and ferro having their way with donphan and donphan checks the offensive ground rockers that xatu will die to. Standard xatu spread and donphan spread 2hkos lando and non yache chomp with rest into bulk, donphan evs courtesy of phosphor. Dont run spin and rocks on donphan thats spreading it too thin when you already have to play carefully especially into lando hp ices and chainchomp.

Ninetails ive gone with the chesto rest set so i dont have to fear toxic from toed or run bell on chansey. Evs are speed creeping cruel and then rest into spdef to switch into scalds.

Chansey is twave over toxic since the team is quite slow rest standard. Does chansey things, will get tricked some games.

Standard jelli, i usually wouldnt use jelli without spikes but it fits well here as keld check as well as alleviating pressure from donphan and chansey. When i build with the blob i always try to use another pokemon alongside it that can switch into trick users to catch them trying to trick chansey usually like fat drill on sun or ferro/rachi otherwise. Here jelli tries to fill that role as well while obviously being not as good at it.

Darm is used as my speed control, sun abuser and to take advantage of no hazards possibly letting you click flare blitz one extra time.

Definitely a flawed team but my attempt at making an unusual core work.

GaryTheGengar

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
After some discussion on discord, it seems the consensus is that people didn't enjoy building around fringe mons. With that in mind, we're going to try rebooting this competition with some more popular mons that we feel are still relatively unexplored.

The first mon after the reboot will be Garchomp.
1639013104138.png

No set or team restrictions, although remember - this competition is for fun! Try to be creative and avoid posting standard teams / teams similar to those already posted. The deadline is Friday 12/17.

Special thanks to Gamer1234556 and mad dawg for participating last round.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
:jirachi: :garchomp: :magnezone: :omastar: :latios: :keldeo:
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Energy Ball
- Icy Wind
- U-turn

Garchomp @ Dragon Gem
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave
- Sunny Day

Omastar @ Air Balloon
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Trick
- Roost

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Protect
- Aqua Jet
Basically the idea behind this team is just to facilitate an Omastar sweep. It's admittedly a bit of a matchup fish, considering that it blasts sand yet struggles against rain, but a fun team nonetheless. The three biggest obstacles to an Omastar sweep against sand are Alakazam, Rotom-Wash, and Ferrothorn. This team is specifically designed to deal with 3 of them enough for a sweep to happen. Between EBall Jirachi, Jet Keldeo, and Chople Zone this team has enough stuff to chip Rotom and Zam to make way for an Omastar sweep, while it has Zone to trap Ferro as well. You could probably readjust the structure and add some ground immunes then make it Water Gem SS Omastar to improve the rain matchup, but WA Balloon is way funnier and more epic. I hope everyone enjoys farming wins against sand with this!

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ahoy! Bringing in a pretty simple team I made here. Oddly enough I have been co-running this with gary for a while but never got a chance to participate.

1639251365784.png1639251375468.png1639251380934.png1639251396979.png1639251407610.png1639251413398.png

When Peng polled various players about their personal rankings of the tier, the majority of players recognized that chompers very good, but seemed to admit that they also underused it. Garchomp appropriately ranked in the A tier, maybe underrated at the moment. It's a fast versatile mon, able to take a team slot with little consession. Alas we are, exploring the options that Garchomp gives players. I chose the direct raw breaking power of the Choice Band. An apt name for this creation of mine (with input from others) is most likely a ground spam. Garchomp, Excadrill and Landorus-Therian seemly abuse the same or similiar mons, so they slotted well together, with Band chomp being the go to avenue of damage output. The glue keeping the team together, Rotom wasn't originally slotted in the team, but second thoughts from other players gave me insight to how its able to cripple potential walls (namely Ferrothorn via burn) and gives me a much needed answer to Skarmory. As for Excadrill, well normally I would enjoy the 252 ada sand force drill, but since its my sole steel type, a bulkier spread is far more appropriate. The same goes for Landorus-Therian. Clicking "suggested spread" is almost always sufficient for me, but given I'm presenting the team I felt that I shouldn't be that lazy and gave Landorus-Therian a spread that more accurately represents it's role as physical switchin. Scarf Latios comes last here. Hell, I still think its an excellent late game sweeper second to Alakazam. But the defensive utility of latios was greatly needed, not that Alakazam was ever an option for a team like this.
As a last note: SR Lava plume Heatran is somewhat interchangable with Landorus-T as well. Gives you a solid switch-in to Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Anyway Hope you enjoy!

Gamer1234556

"Because... Scald is a shit Ferro answer!!!"
May as well put a pretty straightforward team as I have finals to focus on and have a lot less time to spare playing Pokemon. >.<

:tyranitar::garchomp::skarmory::jellicent::latios::alakazam:

Pretty straightforward Zam Spikes Team except with Mixed Garchomp over SR Gliscor. Generally speaking, I think Mixed Chomp is quite underrated in the sense that it's one of the few Chomp sets that can lure in and destroy Skarmory, the other being SD Fire Gem. Another thing it has over Gliscor is that you have a slightly easier time getting Rocks up against Rain and Smurf (since it puts opposing Garchomp in an awkward 50/50 situation). The addition of Mixed Chomp also means that you can free up Hidden Power Fire to run a different coverage or support move on Colbur Latios.

The addition of Mixed Chomp over SR Gliscor does mean that you have a bit of a trickier time playing around Breloom since you have one less Loom switch-in, but between Latios and chip from Rocky Helmet Skarm, its fairly playable.

Fakee

LA FLAME
is a Tutor
:Garchomp: :Tornadus: :Politoed: :Jirachi: :Tentacruel: :Ferrothorn:

The main idea of this team is to get most of the hazzards and press without letting the opponent remove them, Jirachi's set can easily win a game vs rain if he makes setup, also serves as a check to Latios, Alakazam etc, in addition to this, the speed works to outspeed Tentacruel with his usual spread, let's take my spread as an example. One of Jirachi's easiest targets is Ferrothorn which is a threat to Garchomp, which can annoy a little bit the setup or cover the Outrage/Dual Chop. Speaking of Garchomp, it has a great attack which allows it to OHKO almost anything, this plus the Yache Berry makes Garchomp secure a kill after a Swords Dance every time something tries to come in, The Ferrothorn set should be known by everyone but it is because this type of team is bothered by Rotom-Wash/Jellicent so you can take by surprise someone who tries to burn your Ferrothorn, Tornadus does the job of giving a boost to the team thanks to Tailwind, this added to its good special attack makes it a key piece for the team to work efficiently

Nalorium

is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris the defending BW Circuit Champion
World Defender
Today I was robbed, and it wasn't my wallet, it was my dignity. Unjustly my Garchomp can't learn Whirlpool, why? Whirlpool Chomp can only be used with Sand Veil, ability that is banned and with his other ability, rough skin is incompatible. It is not fair that whirlpool is affected by the ban of Sand Veil when this ban has nothing to do with Whirlpool.

:garchomp: :tyranitar: :celebi: :heatran: :landorus-therian: :alakazam:

Changing the subject, this is the team I'm going to present for this week, it's a sand team made around the chomp set, whose old job was to trap lando with whirlpool and kill him with draco but now only serves to pray for having a good role of draco and that he doesn't kill you with HP Ice. Anyway this set is amazing to beat other sand teams. Tyranitar has no mystery, a standard set to beat reuniclus and put the rocks. This set of celebi its p amazing to use with this chomp because you are able to pass the sub vs things like ttar and be able to put pressure on the opponent's team. You can make it CM > Sub and I think it would still be fun to use. I love this Heatran set vs rain teams ngl and with sub pass, its goddam great, I love the synergy between this 2 (bi and tran), and they are my backbone vs rain. Landorus as my speed control, and it also helps vs some HO and sand MU's while it keeps the momentum of the team. Wanted to go crazy and this Kzam set, inspired on Caetanos SPL XI semifinals team. I think this set goes p well alongside Sub pass celebi but if u make it CM celebi u should also make it sash kzam. Anyways I think this team is p good overall. Go ahead and use it with the hashtag #FreeWhirlpool.

1639526350373.png

:garchomp::ferrothorn::latias::politoed::volcarona::tentacruel:

Not much to say here cause it's late at night and this was kind of a speedbuild i made earlier today.
Chomp rain is a very solid archetype in my eyes and this is my take on it.
SD Aqua tail chomp is ridiculous under rain so i chose to go for that.
Classic ferro with some emphasis on spdef cause it's the only dragon resist here and gyro over power whip because cm latios is terrifying.
Scarf Latias > Latios just on this because healing wish is very much appreciated to back up your wincons here, and scarf HW is smth i adored for some time now(hp ev's to avoid the 2hko from scarf keldeo's hidden power coverage after rocks).
I chose to go with t-spikes tentacruel here because i like the idea of having them vs standard HO(it's a godsend if u play well vs the starmie)
Toed is physdef mostly because i want to have a back up check to stuff like dnite/drill/lando/chomp etc and ice beam toed generally helps vs those.
Lastly there's volc which has this interesting set consisting of HP Water > Fire blast, which is highly underlooked imo on rain considering that u fuck stuff like gliscor/drill/tran/thundurus in such a better manner than fire blast here.
Gem with psychic to cripple dnite looking to set up and tentacruel which would have been annoying otherwise by absorbing t-spikes and hitting keldeo is obviously appreciated(bulk for espeed from dnite after rocks and gliscor's eq after rocks while i still outspeed jolly mamo and the mons that creep it.)
Thanks for reading, gl everyone and if you'll excuse me i can now go to bed cause it's 5am.
Never forget! FNH sucks.

peng

fuck xatu
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
:tyranitar::gliscor::ferrothorn::garchomp::latios::alakazam:
PsySpam - SD Gliscor Bluff

This is a team I built earlier this year for ckw to use in BWPL - some of the EVs might be a bit off because I had to recreate it after nuking my builder but this is fundamentally the same squad as you can see in this replay. The game plan didn't play out exactly as we anticipated here, but we came away with the W anyway.

The idea behind the team is to bluff being a pretty average PsySpam team at preview with something like Scarf or SD Garchomp, but in reality to be a team hard based around SD Gliscor with the dual Psychics playing more of a supportive role. Once SD Gliscor gets going it can be incredibly difficult to stop, and this team is geared around supporting it as well as possible. Hidden Power [Fire] Latios, MixChomp, and Focus Blast Alakazam serve as triple lures for Skarmory, possibly Gliscor's #1 enemy, with MixChomp also helping to cripple Landorus-T, Slowbro etc. Dual Psychic inherently baits in Tyranitar to Pursuit, leading to SD Gliscor set-up chances. Meanwhile, Lum Ferrothorn is a strong anti-lead into Rotom-W and in a solitary turn can prevent it from acting as a mid/late-game Gliscor answer. Teams lacking hard defensive counters to Gliscor will instead rely on fast, half-answers like their own Latios, Alakazam, or Keldeo which can at least revenge kill a +2 Gliscor - as a result, this team aims to bait and cripple these checks utilising a triple Thunder Wave core of Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and Alakazam.

When building, I really liked the 6 that I had settled on but one Pokemon stands out as a huge pain - Mamoswine. Our opponent had pretty low Mamoswine usage so if there was ever a week to risk it, this was the week, but I still felt the need to go back into the builder and find some "outs" vs the pig. As much as I love Psyshock Alakazam, Psychic is important here just for damage vs Mamoswine. Next, Gliscor runs a turbo EV spread here hitting 260 speed, which not only gives a more favourable match-up against opposing Gliscor and Modest Heatran but importantly puts you a point faster than Mamoswine - this can come in clutch as priority NMI Ice Shard cannot OHKO Gliscor from full. Ferrothorn runs a physically defensive EV spread, somewhat of a relic of the past but a set that i think is hugely underrated not only for greater consistency into Mamoswine, but also for its ability to bait and paralyse early game Keldeo (Specs Secret Sword: 73.2 - 86.9%) to help Gliscor. Finally, Latios runs a little bit of defense investment on this team but my mindset is the following: Latios has such high base SAtk and such low Def that moving across 80 EVs barely affects your power (~4% decrease) whilst giving a pretty significant bulk boost (takes physical hits ~11% better). That alone is enough to skew important calcs and can create situations where your opp thinks they can remove Latios with Ice Shard, only to barely miss on the KO. This also comes in pretty useful against things like Breloom which are otherwise pretty horrible to switch into.

Team isn't perfect by any means, but the idea of SD Gliscor + 5 lures is really really fun. If anyone wants to test this out, would recommend maybe also trying more attack investment maybe even Adamant on Gliscor, which absolutely bodies defensive waters at just +2 - never really got around to testing this myself but the idea seems solid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)