OU BW OU Hub

Bella

Lighterless
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Posting this since I'm an old gens C&C moderator, the BW C&C leader, and was the person who removed the analysis. It's unranked on the VR as of the latest slate, the analysis would have needed some big CMS edits, and it just doesn't see a lot of use outside of cheesy stuff. Just posting so you and others who can't see the CMS know why, it being reuploaded is totally off the table at present.
I cannot believe you removed the magikarp one aswell

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not putting these analyses back up. The mons in question are unviable with no place in the metagame and are UR on the VR (also woulda needed CMS edits to match the format we use these days). Also, some of those analyses were pretty questionable in their content in terms of what was acceptable anyway. If you need to put a content notice saying an analysis is fake or joke or whatever, pretty safe to assume said analysis isn't accomplishing much of anything and should just be wiped. We did outdated content notices for OU mons as we revamped them because those mons needed pages. Unown and all that junk doesn't. Would prefer people who have never written an analysis or managed an analysis section not try to tell us how to run our section btw (this doesn't just apply to the person I'm quoting btw).
1650685008328.png

Melanie goes boating

formerly Kale EO Trixiewagon
I'm not putting these analyses back up. The mons in question are unviable with no place in the metagame and are UR on the VR (also woulda needed CMS edits to match the format we use these days). Also, some of those analyses were pretty questionable in their content in terms of what was acceptable anyway. If you need to put a content notice saying an analysis is fake or joke or whatever, pretty safe to assume said analysis isn't accomplishing much of anything and should just be wiped. We did outdated content notices for OU mons as we revamped them because those mons needed pages. Unown and all that junk doesn't. Would prefer people who have never written an analysis or managed an analysis section not try to tell us how to run our section btw (this doesn't just apply to the person I'm quoting btw).

Attachments

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
If joke analyses are being removed, Gothitelle should be deleted as well. Magikarp didn't hurt anybody, that bs certainly did.
That's kept up because it's a Pokemon trapped in OU due to the usage tier lock, and the analysis contextualises why it's there now that the tiering changes against Shadow Tag have been enacted. Every tiered Pokemon requires an analysis given C&C's policies, and sometimes, you just have to tell someone why a Pokemon sucks. Is that an issue in tiering itself? Maybe, but that's not C&C's jurisdiction, we just give the facts.

--

I think the response to Ophion is a bit unfair.

I have no horse in the race of removing joke analyses, but given we had a freakout recently regarding the DPP LC Happiny analysis that contained pedophilic "jokes", I can see why they would be cut now that we don't do them anymore. They're a relic of a different era. Is it better or worse? I don't know. In my personal opinion, the odd tongue-in-cheek statement about a Pokemon in an analysis would be better than making an entire page about a joke Pokemon, but some exist and whether that's ok is arguable with the uptick in Smogon's quality in the past decade. I do think it can be strict sometimes, but there's no black and white here. The BW dex is one of the most outdated around; since Caetano started his crusade to fix it, Ophion has been keeping that rolling. It's hard. Real fucking hard. I had to deal with 151 Pokemon, Ophion has to deal with 649, counting lower-tiers.

Like, at the end of the day, the archives forum exists and you can always view the joke analyses in their purest form back there. Honestly? They should be in Greatest Hits. These analyses are not suddenly gone forever, it's just not on-site where we want to report the most up-to-date meta information for old gens possible.

Past Gens C&C has been out to update the dexes more thoroughly in the past few years given the explosion in popularity they have experienced post-pandemic. The aim is to deliver the definitive analysis for each tiered Pokemon for the time in a qualitative manner. This includes removing potential clutter that may obstruct viewing viable Pokemon that aren't tiered OU; old gens experience this sort of thing a lot, and it took RBY ages to fix its massive issues in this department. See here for the main reason: there's no real way to display VR-ranked Pokemon on their own, which is kind of a pain sometimes. Unfortunately, due to the inconsistent updates these types of things receive, there's no real way to solve that.

TL;DR: Only Pokemon that are either tiered such or ranked should have analyses on the dex, which few exceptions, and they should be in tip-top quality. This has been the ethos Past Gens C&C has been enforcing for a while.

It's sad but when you put it that way I can understand it. Smogon and most other fan sites have changed a lot during the past 15+ years and it really hits you just how little of that charm still remains. That's why at least I enjoyed the entries but under this current climate I can understand it as annoying as it is.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
who cares about analysis for meme Pokemon in a generation >10 years old?

This whole conversation is silly and the fact that multiple people have had to elaborate in this thread -- the main actually productive BW OU thread -- speaks volumes to how misplaced it is.

Time for this thread to move on.

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 4.58.26 AM.png

Watch the Throne,

With the tier being relatively stagnant at the moment I feel it is only right that I bless the people with some rejuvenation.

After topping the ladder I can safely conclude that you guys need some variation.
Why this tier is not as popular as it used to be is definitely down to the lack of creativity in not only play styles but teams themselves. Spamming generic rain, sand, and smurf teams will take this great tier nowhere.

Before I begin I’d like to give a huge thank you to Maerz for sending me these truly innovative teams that helped me on my road to #1 and I’d also like to give a massive thank you to the two best BW OU players on this site, S. Rachmaninov and BeanouZz35 for teaching me everything I know about competitive pokemon. This feat truly would not have been possible without you three.

Here are the teams I used on my road to #1.

Ambipom Honchkrow HO - Maerz

To begin, we have a very unconventional yet effective team. Ambipom is a pokemon that is almost never seen in BW OU and I don’t understand why. Technician coupled with STAB Fake Out and Last Resort works amazingly well alongside Ambimpom’s max 361 speed stat, causing trouble for Garchomp, Keldeo, Dragonite, and many other common pokemon. Sucker punch Honchkrow is great for dealing with psychic types and its 383 max attack stat coupled with life orb and a potential moxie boost is a nightmare to deal with once it gets going. Gengar works as a great Ferrothorn check once it lands a will o wisp and also works well for spinblocking while Scarf Jirachi, Excadril, and specs Keldeo work together to stop any other threats.

Focus Punch Mew - Maerz

Here we have another unconventional team but please do not mistake its individuality for weakness. This team is by no means easy to use and requires the user to make game changing predictions throughout the match. Fortunately, when the user gets their predictions right, the results are devastating for the opponent. Focus Punch Mew is ideal for baiting in Tyranitar users who think they can pursuit trap it while also having coverage for Landorus and Keldeo with ice punch and STAB Zen Headbutt. Specs Hydreigon has Fire, Dark, Dragon, and Fighting coverage for dealing with a myriad of other threats. HP Grass Rotom-Wash is a bit unconventional but is very good at luring in Gastrodon/Seismitoad for a 2 hit KO. Some may feel that this is unnecessary with a Breloom on the team so please feel free to change it to Pain Split or Hp Ice if you wish.

Clamperl Offense - Maerz

This right here is by far the boldest team I have used. Now I know what you’re thinking, why the hell is this skin tone chicken bone google chrome no home flip phone disowned extra chromosome overgrown golden throne Rosetta stone Apple iPhone high cheekbone Sylvester Stallone baritone dictaphone methadone Post Malone plant hormone yellowstone leave me alone heada… running a clamperl. Could I have ran an Omastar? Maybe. Unfortunately, an Omastar doesn’t get its attack doubled by a Deep Sea Tooth. After a shell smash, Clamperl is left with 984 Special Attack, making it an excellent special sweeper. Sub Charge Beam Magnezone deals with ferrothorns in the best way possible. Lead Terrakion prevents hazards and gets up rocks while also being more threatening offensively than Aerodactyl.

Thank you all for reading what I have to say and I wish you all the best on your ladder and tournament endeavours.

Peace

Last edited:

Good Yard,

With the tier being relatively stagnant at the moment I feel it is only right that I bless the people with some rejuvenation.

After topping the ladder I can safely conclude that you guys need some variation.
Why this tier is not as popular as it used to be is definitely down to the lack of creativity in not only play styles but teams themselves. Spamming generic rain, sand, and smurf teams will take this great tier nowhere.

Before I begin I’d like to give a huge thank you to Maerz for sending me these truly innovative teams that helped me on my road to #1 and I’d also like to give a massive thank you to the two best BW OU players on this site, S. Rachmaninov and BeanouZz35 for teaching me everything I know about competitive pokemon. This feat truly would not have been possible without you three.

To begin, we have a very unconventional yet effective team. Ambipom is a pokemon that is almost never seen in BW OU and I don’t understand why. Technician coupled with STAB Fake Out and Last Resort works amazingly well alongside Ambimpom’s max 361 speed stat, causing trouble for Garchomp, Keldeo, Dragonite, and many other common pokemon. Sucker punch Honchkrow is great for dealing with psychic types and its 383 max attack stat coupled with life orb and a potential moxie boost is a nightmare to deal with once it gets going. Gengar works as a great Ferrothorn check once it lands a will o wisp and also works well for spinblocking while Scarf Jirachi, Excadril, and specs Keldeo work together to stop any other threats.

Focus Punch Mew - Maerz

Here we have another unconventional team but please do not mistake its individuality for weakness. This team is by no means easy to use and requires the user to make game changing predictions throughout the match. Fortunately, when the user gets their predictions right, the results are devastating for the opponent. Focus Punch Mew is ideal for baiting in Tyranitar users who think they can pursuit trap it while also having coverage for Landorus and Keldeo with ice punch and STAB Zen Headbutt. Specs Hydreigon has Fire, Dark, Dragon, and Fighting coverage for dealing with a myriad of other threats. HP Grass Rotom-Wash is a bit unconventional but is very good at luring in Gastrodon/Seismitoad for a 2 hit KO. Some may feel that this is unnecessary with a Breloom on the team so please feel free to change it to Pain Split or Hp Ice if you wish.

Clamperl Offense - Maerz

This right here is by far the boldest team I have used. Now I know what you’re thinking, why the hell is this skin tone chicken bone google chrome no home flip phone disowned extra chromosome overgrown golden throne Rosetta stone Apple iPhone high cheekbone Sylvester Stallone baritone dictaphone methadone Post Malone plant hormone yellowstone leave me alone heada… running a clamperl. Could I have ran an Omastar? Maybe. Unfortunately, an Omastar doesn’t get its attack doubled by a Deep Sea Tooth. After a shell smash, Clamperl is left with 984 Special Attack, making it an excellent special sweeper. Sub Charge Beam Magnezone deals with ferrothorns in the best way possible. Lead Terrakion prevents hazards and gets up rocks while also being more threatening offensively than Aerodactyl.

Thank you all for reading what I have to say and I wish you all the best on your ladder and tournament endeavours.

Peace
bro really just stole all my teams and didnt even help me get top1 too

View attachment 423511
Watch the Throne,

Focus Punch Mew - Maerz

Clamperl Offense - Maerz

Peace
Have you tried anything with ambi+zone?

Bella

Lighterless
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
That's kept up because it's a Pokemon trapped in OU due to the usage tier lock, and the analysis contextualises why it's there now that the tiering changes against Shadow Tag have been enacted. Every tiered Pokemon requires an analysis given C&C's policies, and sometimes, you just have to tell someone why a Pokemon sucks. Is that an issue in tiering itself? Maybe, but that's not C&C's jurisdiction, we just give the facts.
I know this is an old convo but i just realized on the topic of that: So why doesn't Wobbuffet have an analysis? Its not in the works and it is stuck in OU due to the usage tier lock sticking it in UUBL

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I know this is an old convo but i just realized on the topic of that: So why doesn't Wobbuffet have an analysis? Its not in the works and it is stuck in OU due to the usage tier lock sticking it in UUBL
With Shadow Tag banned, the whole analysis would just be “don’t use this because it’s never going to do anything ever. They’ll just switch out before risking anything” for what it’s worth. I am aware of the policy stated above, but yea Wobb is entirely useless now.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
:bw/abomasnow:
Abomasnow @ team dependent item
Ability: Snow Warning
Mild/Lonely Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Ice Shard

Dice put me onto this mon during SPL when he absolutely washed stareal with it and I've been in love with it ever since. This mon is impossible for typical rain and sand to switch into consistently, completely throttling both archetypes with its obscene coverage + keeping up snow warning to negate leftovers as your opponent tries to pivot around this monster. Aboma also has some solid defensive attributes, shutting down every non Keldeo water type in the tier as well as access to Ice Shard if you want to sacrifice the coverage of HP Fire for utility against HO. Obviously it's pretty prediction reliant and can struggle to get opportunities against more up-tempo sand and HO teams, but Aboma is super fun to use, and I highly recommend trying it out if you haven't already.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 170 SpD
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock

This isn't a new team style, it's basically taking a standard spikes sand team with HP Ice Zam and giving it HP Fire and replacing Rotom-Wash with Gengar. I didn't use the smogon offensive Gengar set with black sludge bc Gengar is getting constantly worn down anyway (sand, stealth rock) and thus the case when you're 1v1 with full against a LO Starmie using H-Pump is too rare for the drop in power.

Gengar has some switch in opportunities against earthquake users, on double switches, against Ferrothorn, and against Keldeo secret sword if feeling ballsy. Thunder hits rain pretty well:

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 294-346 (80.7 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Politoed: 247-291 (64.3 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Thunder also 1hkos Keldeo

Gengar using HP Ice lets it remain at 350 speed so it can tie specs Latios in an emergency and lets Zam run HP Fire for Scizor switch ins + easier shot on Ferrothorn without losing anything except speed tying other Zam (which usually indicates an undesirable situation anyway)

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Atk / 172 SpD
Brave Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Rock Slide

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 4 SpA / 44 SpD / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Night Shade

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dual Chop
- Rock Slide

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Rapid Spin

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
Thoughts on this team? I don't give T-Tar stealth rock because I find that it rarely forces anything out and thus often can't get the move off, but fire blast lets it KO Ferrothorn with some chip.

I use Zapdos to counter Breloom & Scizor and for another mon who can cleanly 2HKO Ferrothorn with a fire move. He is also usually bulky enough to live one strong hit in an emergency.

Scarf Chomp to beat Volcarona.

My main question is beating Kyurem-Black? I feel like he crushes this team.

Cloyster destroys this team. It sets up on your two Grounds easily and destroys everything else, even Jelli if it's Rock Gem. Ferro as your sole rocker on a Sand team is asking for trouble. Using ScarfChomp w/o Rocks is kind of a waste of your fourth slot.

Gm BW, while waiting for a change in the tier urgently, I will post a lot of teams and sets that I have created over the last few months, first of all I want to give a special thanks to cryos for letting me be part of their team, it has been a great experience.

Before I start with the teams and sets I would like to give my concrete opinion about the current state of the tier. The tier is a complete chaos, although lately I have to admit that it has felt a little less MU fish and smurf is not as broken as before, it is still a headache to build and prepare teams. In particular I would like to talk about the gems, I feel that they are an unhealthy item for the tier and would considerably reduce the presence of volcarona, Breloom and cloyster. Reducing the offensive capacity of the previously mentioned but without benifying certain archetypes, something that would happen when banning pokemons like volcarona. They are an item that I sincerely feel is unnecessary and does not really benefit the tier in any way. The role of this item can be substituted with Plates or LO, items that are clearly balanced and do not become absurd in certain MU's as it happens with Bug Gem or Rock Gem. Removing the gems would only reduce the current importance of offensive pokemon like volcarona and make certain MU's become more even than they are now. A basic example is Sand vs Bug Gem volcarona, where thanks to the gem, volcarona is able to kill tyranitar in one hit and still wreak havoc on the opposing team. The only thing that gems are currently doing is giving an unhealthy advantage to certain archetypes that are already good without them. If I could choose the plan of what changes to make to the tier I would definitely start with this item and I am sure that the changes that this ban would generate would be completely in favor of the tier. By banning this item I don't think it would concentrate the usage of the tier in psyspam but it would provide the possibility of buildear and use sand archetypes that are not currently viable due to the gems. (With this comment I also include all the interactions of certain mons vs x move + gem that make it currently obsolete).

Regarding banning Volcarona and Cloyster, I don't feel that either should be banned, since that would be giving a great superiority to psyspam over the rest of archetypes in the tier. I feel that both would be currently balanced if the gems are banned or nerfed as I mentioned previously. Both control and balance the interaction between Psyspam against the rest of the MU's. Banning them would generate a complete imbalance in the tier.

Well banning scalding is already something completely ridiculous and beyond my understanding, it is not at all the change that BW needs to improve and escape from the situation it is currently in. I have already seen several discussions about this ban and all have resulted in the same conclusion. BW needs something more drastic, not a move that relies primarily on RNG.

BW as an RPS game. It is already known that BW is in a similar situation to an RPS game in terms of the interaction of the 3 most known archetypes at the moment. Sand > Rain > HO > Sand. While I think it is something completely exaggerated and that little by little is changing, it is not something as far from reality as we want to think. The fact that this is happening does nothing but intoxicate the tier and it becomes a nightmare when it comes to building your own teams. We need to escape from this situation to first of all remove the horrible reputation that BW OU currently has and that makes new players prefer to learn other tiers instead of this one. We need to urgently make an effort to generate changes in the tier and see what comes out of it. We can't go on thinking that someday we are going to solve BW. As far as I know, when SPL is over in a few days the council will be making decisions about the tier, I just hope it doesn't end in a vague conclusion of either not banning anything or making a slight change that doesn't really affect the tier.

With that said, we can move on to the fun stuff.

:bw/gyarados:

I feel that Gyarados is a pretty underrated pokemon in the current meta. The slight decline that rotom-w has had in the current meta is something that favors gyarados a ton (18th place in use in this SPL vs. 9th place in the last one). Coupled with Pokemons like Mamoswine it becomes a complete threat to face the current HO's. Ive been spamming a lot offensive cores like Gyarados + Mamoswine + Thundurus, over the last month and they have given me excellent results both in ladder and in tours. Here is a team I made inspired by the above mentioned core and an alternate version.

:gyarados: :politoed: :tentacruel: :ferrothorn: :mamoswine: :thundurus-therian:
:gyarados: :tentacruel: :politoed: :ferrothorn: :mamoswine: :latios:

:BW/tornadus:

Tornadus accompanied by pokemons like Alakazam, Thundurus and Latios has become a core that every time I use it gives me very good results. The idea of Tornadus is basically to take away the tyranitar's chople so that Alakazam can have a better MU against Sand. I swear this is not a copy of the idea finch used for SPL, I have proof that the idea originated the same week finch used it, which is a very rare coincidence. Similarly I've been using the core Tornadus + Kyurem since last year with a similar approach to the aforementioned, with one chip rotom/ttar so the other to take advantage and wreak havoc on the opposing team. In my opinion tornadus solves a great part of the problems that a rain team currently suffers against its MU vs sand but without worsening the MU vs smurf thanks to the tailwind and sub.

:politoed: :tornadus: :thundurus-therian: :ferrothorn: :alakazam: :tentacruel:
:politoed: :tornadus: :thundurus-therian: :ferrothorn: :alakazam: :excadrill:
(U can change torn and poli set in the last one but I love the thundu set)

:bw/excadrill:
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Metal Sound
- Rapid Spin

An interesting set to use on rain and not give a free set up to reuniclus.

I will post other sets and teams after roapl since I prefer to keep them secret for the tour.

Thanks for reading and excuse my english. :ghorse:
Questions about the 1st Zam Rain Team you posted, Whats the purpose of that Ferro Set?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)