Bulky offense 5th Gen RMT.

So, I've been playing pokemon since RBY, but I've only recently been getting into competitive battling. Well, to be more specific, I've only recently begun participating in competitive battling. I would read about movesets and strategies constantly during Gen IV and with Gen V upon us I decided to take advantage of the new and unexplored world where everyone is on near equal footing. I beat my copy of White back in September and I've been playing on PO for two months. Here's my team at a glance:

Roopushin, Jirachi and Espeon have been on my team since the beginning. Everyone else is new and I've been doing a lot of switching and experimenting since October. My team is by no means finalized as there are one or two I want to replace. This is really just where I stand now. But let's take a look at what I'm currently using.

Scizor@Choice Band
Technician
Adamant 252 HP / 252 At / 4 Df
~Bullet Punch
~Pursuit
~Superpower
~U-Turn

Standard Scizor is standard. Having used a Kojondo for sometime as a scout I'm always impressed at the sheer difference in power in their U-Turns. Goes to show what STAB and Band can do. My Scizor is a lead because, frankly, I don't have much else that's better to use. I need the HP bulk for switch ins, but sometimes you can't U-Turn fast enough. Also, so many things carry HP Fire these days I keep getting KO'd from unexpected places. Effectiveness has been mixed, but the potential is there.

Roopushin@Leftovers
Guts
Adamant 68 HP / 192 At / 248 SpD
~Bulk Up
~Drain Punch
~Mach Punch
~Stone Edge

This is the wrecking ball of my team. I'm proud to be able to say I've been using this guy before he became so standard lol. He used to single handedly sweep teams back when A)people tried to burn you all the time, and B) people didn't have many good checks. Roopushin singlehandedly walks over the Nattorei/Burungeru combo unless they do something highly unorthdox like double Protect Toxic stall. The EVs seem strange but they have a purpose. Magic lefties number, 400 Attack, and enough SpD to survive Scarfdera Overheat. Stone Edge has much better coverage over Payback as most Ghosts are KO'd by it anyway and you shouldn't stay in on STAB Psychic anyway. Meanwhile you can now actually take on many flying type pokemon.

Espeon@Light Clay
Magic Mirror
Timid 80 HP / 176 Df / 252 Spd
~Reflect
~Calm Mind
~Psychic
~Baton Pass

You know, I've always liked Espeon since I evolved my Eevee way back in the original Silver. But now, thanks to one simple ability, it's entire role as well as the metagame is forever changed. Magic Mirror is godly. If Luvdisc alone had it I wouldn't be surprised if it became OU. Espeon's stats don't unfortunately compliment it's new supportive role. Such a shame that 130 SpA has to go to waste. I used to run dual screens and max SpA but I'm experimenting with a BP set and more bulk. Speed is still important to ensure you can get your support moves off.

Vaporeon@Leftovers
Water Absorb
Bold 124 HP / 252 Df / 132 SpD
~Boil Over
~Toxic
~Hail
~Wish

Gliscor needed a good pokemon to take the water and ice attacks that it couldn't and Vaporeon is working out splendidly. Great bulk and Wish gets my Gliscor healthy again when they try to hit me with electricity. Boil Over is the perfect move for a bulky pokemon like Vaporeon, as the terrific burn chance really makes the enemy think twice before sending in their physical sweeper against me. Toxic is for the special pokemon that fear burn. And Hail? Well, that's my secret weapon against weather teams. You felt confidant letting your weather lead fall seeing I didn't have one of my own didn't you? Well, now your whole team has been neutered with one move. Vaporeon can very easily absorb water on the switch and get rid of rain, it resists fire, albeit not as much as normally. And sand? Well, not many pokemon that benefit from sand want to face a Vaporeon anyway.

Jirachi@Leftovers
Serene Grace
Bold 252 HP / 144 Df / 56 SpA / 56 SpD
~Wish
~Doom Desire
~Thunderbolt
~Calm Mind

Now this is an interesting creation of mine. Jirachi was my original Wish user because I wanted to test out the newly modified Doom Desire. DD now has 100% accuracy, 140 BP and is now backed by STAB. The coverage admittedly isn't great, but again it's supposed to be a supportive mon who can actually tank with Calm Mind and is good at breaking stall with a double Tbolt and DD assault. IT's helped me win quite a few stall wars, particularly because it can't be Toxiced. I tried Draco Meteor for fun too but it wasn't cutting it. BTW, double Wish is actually quite useful.

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Impish 116 HP / 160 At / 68 Df / 164 SpD
~Earthquake
~Acrobat
~Fling
~Protect

Dear lord this thing is FAR more powerful than it looks. I was actually very surprised by its effectiveness that it became the #2 all star on my team. You thought Gliscor was annoying before? Wait until you fight one with Toxic immunity. Poison Heal gives you super Leftovers recovery in addition to status immunity, an amazing combination. Once you fling your Toxic Orb and poison an enemy, Acrobat will have 110 BP, even stronger than Earthquake! Ground and Flying is actually amazing coverage hitting eight types and both benefit from STAB. This thing is an amazing Breloom, Blaziken and Roopushin counter. Protect helps you get free healing (same amount as Roost in two turns, and you were immune to damage for one of them) and scout moves so I can make safe switches when I need to. Sword Dance was used instead for awhile but I never really got the chance to. Protect has been far more useful.

Of all my pokemon, I am most inclined to replace Espeon or Scizor. I love Espeon but it's usefulness has gone way down since team previews came to be, although I still love screening. Two pokemon that I've used before and might use again are:

Latios@Choice Specs
Levitate
Timid 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
~Dragon Pulse
~Surf
~Trick
~Psychic

The sheer power coupled with great speed and deceptive bulk made this an amazing mon. I think I had too many Ice weaknesses at the time so I decided to swap him. HP Fire makes me lose speed ties which I don't like but I might be willing to try something over Psychic. Maybe Shadow Ball?

Jaroda@Leftovers
Perversity
Timid 52 HP / 108 Df / 108 SpD / 252 Spd
~Leaf Storm
~Glare
~Substitute
~Dragon Tail

Shouldn't be too surprised given my name right? I tried to make a shuffle Glare set since most of my pokemon aren't really fast so if I had bulk, power AND speed I thought my team would be pretty much set. Thing is the negative priority of Dragon Tail combined with the imperfect accuracy of Glare and Dragon Tail proved to be ineffective. Grass doesn't have enough good resistances to pull this off. However I know how annoying this pokemon can be since 113 Speed is such a trollish number, I might try a new pure offensive set. Or maybe just try Zoom Lens?

Threats

Bulky Zapdos with HP Ice is just super tough to take down. Even +1 Stone Edge only does around half because it loses it's Rock weakness when it Roosts, and most have Substitute which I have to keep breaking. If I can Toxic it, great but again, Substitute.

In the rain, this thing is far worse than Kingdra for me. Water, Ice and Grass attacks are hard to resist from this beast and while I can switch into water attacks with Vaporeon, the damn thing has STAB Energy Ball, so I don't get to use Hail.

Other Gliscor, particularly the Poison Heal variety are, as I know too well, very hard to take down, especially when I don't have Ice attacks. The ones that use roost aren't as bad, but yeah, only Vaporeon can do great damage to it, or if I get lucky with Doom Desire.

Non choiced variants are actually the worst, as this thing has such great coverage with its moves and it resists Mach Punch. And if I am lucky to survive a hit, flinch hax.

So that's my team as it is right now. It isn't finished since it still has a few issues, mainly with Scizor and Espeon. Most likely I will be using Latios again and maybe something else. Remember, I love bulky tanks so if you can think of a pokemon that would benefit my team let me hear it.

A lead I have found to be quite effective in the past is Borutorosu, and he could replace Scizor

Borutorosu@Lum Berry
Mischievous Heart, Modest/Timid
-Taunt
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast/HP (Ice)

Although it was unmentioned, It looks like your team would have trouble with Hippowdon. Grass Knot does that. HP (Ice) can take care of Shaymin-S, as he resists all of its attacks, so haxing isnt a biggie

And if you replace Espeon, I suggest her bro, Umbreon. He actually works as a fantastic cleric aside from being Taunt Bait

Umbreon@leftovers
Synchronize, Bold
252 Hp, 192 Def, 64 SpD
-Wish
-Heal Bell
-Cheer Up/Tickle
-Baton Pass/Pursuit

Cheer Up passing is more useful than you think, simply because you can pass it to ANY attacker on your team for a nice boost. With Wish on Umbreon, you can free up a move on Jirachi, for, say another HP (Ice)? or some reliable Psychic STAB? Do what you will with my advice

Heal Bell would get rid of Gliscor's Toxic and any Guts boost Roopushin might have. My team actually really doesn't mind status that much because I have so many things to absorb and benefit from it. Heal Bell would actually be bad for my team.

I used a Borutorosu for a while in the beginning. It was alright. Priority paralysis came in handy every now and then.

My team actually doesn't really mind Hippo. Between Vaporeon, Roopushin and Gliscor I have enough things that he can only really Roar away. Plus I'll probably use Latios again soon.

Just a little nit-pick:
Change Wish on Jirachi for Stealth Rock.
SE is just nice to have especially because Zapdos is one of your threads and he doesn't like switching many times into SE.
2 Wishpasser aren't necessary - Vaporeon can get up Wish more often then Jira and it will heal more. Jirachi is bulky enough to setup SE pretty easily.

You might want to add Choice Scarf Shandera to the threat list; it can OHKO 4 of your Pokemon right off the bat, with the combination of Overheat, Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Ice (which I know a lot of them use), and you don't have a Stealth Rocker. Other than that, the team looks pretty good.

Well the case to this point has been that SR is so easy to predict coming from my enemy I had no trouble switching in Espeon to reflect them right back. So I usually used my their own entry hazards against them. Same if, say, they send in a Skarmory, Nattorei or Tentacruel. You just know some hazards are coming out. Course, like I said this tactic is becoming less reliable when your opponent knows you have an Espeon on your team. Scarfdera is easy to lure out with Roopushin and KO with Stone Edge. and even if I miss on the switch, Overheat still can't kill it, so I'd have to miss twice in a row.

Have you tried using a Scizor with 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpDef and a Careful nature? With all those powerful special attackers and random HP Fires, you will gain a lot more longevity while still hitting like a truck thanks to CB.

I definitely agree that Espeon needs to go. While it may be useful for bouncing back rocks, another Psychic type could fit its place more effectively. I would suggest replacing it with a CM Rankurusu, as it takes no damage from Toxic and can set up on Zapdos.

This set:

[BOX]Rankurusu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psychic / Psycho Shock
- Focus Blast / HP Fighting
- Recover / Thunder Wave (for the lolz)

[/BOX]

On Vaporeon, dump Hail for Roar or Ice Beam. You said it yourself - when you don't have Ice attacks, Gliscor becomes a huge pain. Vaporeon effectively counters Gliscor especially with max Def EVs as you have, and merely bluffing Ice Beam can scare it out if you switch in. Eventually it's bound to assume you don't have Ice Beam if you use it on the switch, stay in, and get raped by it.

If you're having a lot of trouble with random HP Fires, and Skymin, I would suggest switching the roles of Scizor and Jirachi. Make Jirachi your lead, Scizor your late game revenge killer / sweeper. Also, for extra insurance, I would run a TrickScarf Rachi. Something like this:

[BOX]Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant / Jolly nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch (for Skymin)
- Fire Punch / U-turn (scouting)
- Trick (cripples anything you're having too many problems with)

[/BOX]

Not only does this handle other tricking leads well, it can scout, eliminate Dragons and Skymin / Gliscor, and hax stuff to death with 60% flinch on Iron Head.

Actually, I like the idea of reflecting so much I'm going to try a Porygon 2 lead with Magic Mirror. It can also use Ice Beam so it will be really useful, and it's super bulky. And finally I'll bring Latios back. Yeah, that sounds good. Gonna try that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)