Resource BSS Good Cores (Updated w/ Legend Cores for Series 8)

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Approved by: Dragonwhale and cant say

Series 7 Battle Stadium Singles Good Cores

1611935678532.png
For Series 8 Legendary Cores: Click HERE

The purpose of this thread is to help familiarize newer players with current metagame cores and archetypes that have been successful in Sword and Shield Crown Tundra Battle Stadium Singles.
This list is not exhaustive, it is just a few examples (most of which are featured in cartridge top 1000 teams for Season 12)! If you have had success with a core or know of a successful core not included here, feel free to post it in this thread, and it will be reviewed/potentially added to the compendium.

Hyper Offense Cores

Offensive Stealth Rocks: Features a less passive Stealth Rock setter paired with a setup sweeper that has good defensive synergy with it.

Example Offensive Stealth Rock Setters: :landorus-therian: :swampert: :tyranitar: :excadrill:

Notable Offensive Stealth Rock Cores
:swampert: + :kartana:
:tyranitar: + :gyarados:
:landorus-therian: + :naganadel:

Trick Room: The first slot features a Pokemon that can set Trick Room and often has a way to safely bring in a Trick Room sweeper, followed by the sweeper itself, a Pokemon that is slower than a majority of the metagame and is favored to beat the opposing team under Trick Room. The final Pokemon is designed to effectively trade one for one with an opposing Pokemon, narrowing the options a foe has to combat Trick Room or defeating the final Pokemon remaining after Trick Room expires. This Pokemon is often a Focus Sash user or Mimikyu.

Example Trick Room Setters: :mimikyu: :cresselia: :porygon2::hatterene: :reuniclus:
Example Trick Room Sweeper: :glastrier: :rhyperior: :tyranitar: :dracovish:
Example 1v1 Traders: :mimikyu: :urshifu: :cinderace:

Notable Trick Room Cores
:cresselia: + :glastrier: + :mimikyu:
:porygon2: + :glastrier: + :cinderace:
:mimikyu: + :rhyperior: OR :glastrier:+ :urshifu:

Dual Screens Lead: The lead sets Light Screen + Reflect OR Aurora Veil, and the second slot is a setup sweeper. Most combinations can work but try and choose a lead and an abuser that have typing synergy.

Screens Setters: :dragapult: :ninetales-alola: :grimmsnarl: :regieleki: :lapras-gmax:
Screens Abusers: :moltres-galar: :celesteela: :dragonite: :latios: :latias: :cinderace: :glastrier: :mimikyu: :tapu-fini: :landorus-therian::snorlax:

Notable Dual Screens Cores
:regieleki: + :glastrier: OR :celesteela: OR :dragonite:
:dragapult: + :tapu-fini: OR :snorlax:OR :moltres-galar:
:ninetales-alola: + :landorus-therian:
:lapras-gmax: + :mimikyu:
:grimmsnarl: + :cinderace:

Bulky Offense Cores

Zapdos Offensive Cores: Relies on the phenomenal bulk and offensive presence of Zapdos in order to stabilize the rest of the core. Zapdos' teammates beat threats to Zapdos and have high damage impact whenever they attack.

Notable Zapdos Offensive Cores
:zapdos: + :dracovish:+ :ferrothorn:
:zapdos: + :tapu-fini: + :ferrothorn: OR :landorus-therian:
:zapdos: + :dracovish: + :urshifu: OR :cinderace:
:zapdos: + :urshifu: + :mimikyu:
:zapdos: + :rillaboom: + :heatran:
:zapdos: + :hippowdon: + :nihilego:
:zapdos: + :excadrill: + :mimikyu:
:zapdos: + :tyranitar: + :landorus-therian:

FWG Cores: Uses the defensive synergy from the basic elemental types (Fire, Water, Grass) to attempt to take advantage of typing, while slowly wearing down opponents.

Example Fire Teammates: :cinderace: :rotom-heat: :heatran:
Example Water Teammates: :tapu-fini: :rotom-wash: :dracovish:
Example Grass Teammates: :rillaboom: :ferrothorn: :kartana:

Notable FWG Cores
:rotom-heat: + :tapu-fini: + :rillaboom:
:cinderace: + :tapu-fini: + :ferrothorn:
:cinderace: + :dracovish: OR :rotom-wash: + :ferrothorn: OR :kartana:

DSF Core: Uses the "Fantasy" typings (Dragon, Steel, Fairy) that together resist almost every type in the game to gain flexibility when switching. These Pokemon also tend to naturally be amongst the strongest in the game on their own.

Example Dragon Teammates: :dragapult: :salamence: :dragonite::garchomp:
Example Steel Teammates: :ferrothorn: :celesteela: :magnezone: :heatran: :metagross: :excadrill:
Example Fairy Teammates: :mimikyu: :tapu-fini: :clefable:

Notable DSF Cores
:dragapult: + :celesteela: + :tapu-fini: OR :mimikyu:
:salamence: + :magnezone: OR :celesteela: + :mimikyu:
:dragapult: + :magnezone: + :clefable:
:dragonite: + :heatran: + :tapu-fini:
:dragonite: + :excadrill: + :mimikyu:
:garchomp: + :ferrothorn: + :tapu-fini:

Stall Cores

Stall: uses a combination of status, passive damage, and hard walls to slowly wear down opposing win conditions, until one Pokemon in the stall core has no answers and wins the game outright.

Example Stall Pokemon: :chansey: :porygon2: :toxapex: :blissey: :quagsire: :pyukumuku: :slowbro: :corviknight: :avalugg: :shedinja:

Notable Stall Cores
:pheromosa: + :toxapex: + :chansey: OR :porygon2:
:zapdos: + :chansey: + :toxapex: OR :quagsire:
:ferrothorn: OR :tapu-bulu: +:toxapex: + :porygon2:OR :tyranitar:
:celesteela: OR :corviknight: + :toxapex: + :chansey:

Other Cores

Baton Pass: The lead sets up boosting moves and passes to a Stored Power user to sweep.

Example Baton Passers: :blaziken: :scolipede:
Example Baton Pass Recipients: :cresselia: :latias: :clefable: :espeon:

Notable Baton Pass Core
:blaziken: + :cresselia:

Weather (Lower Viability): The weather set by the lead gives the weather abuser doubled speed or another added benefit.

Weather Cores
:ninetales-alola: + :arctozolt:
:pelipper: + :kingdra: OR :seismitoad:
:tyranitar: OR :hippowdon: + :excadrill: OR :dracovish: OR :dracozolt:
:torkoal: + :charizard:

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
My personal opinions, I've mentioned a few of these in the DMs:

Trick Room: I would also mention the possibility of lead dynamax. Get a KO and force out the Dynamax, burn final max turns with Trick Room Mimikyu. Especially good for Pokemon that do well in TR without Dynamax, like Dracovish.

Bulky Offense cores: FWG / DFS cores, if you've heard one of my rants, are overrated and more of a secondary result than a goal. If anything I would consider a Ground, a Levitator, and a Water-type, usually as more "necessary" elements to a team but no-one talks about them as cores, understandably because these Pokemon don't always work towards a certain goal or anything, it's just that having no Volt Switch immunity or EQ immunity leaves gaping holes in your team defensively. Misses out on common cores like the Rillaboom / Excadrill / Dragonite that has those Pokemon but miss out on the exact pairing, but not sure how to exactly work around that without having to revamp that whole section.

Sand core I wouldn't consider lower viability, the other 3 are tho (mainly because it's just better to Dynamax your weather sweeper and set your own weather)

It should be noted that unlike previous generations where Zapdos was relatively easy for most cores to deal with, the overwhelming presence of Zapdos is a major issue for FWG cores so they are relatively rarely seen. When they are seen, often it is with Cinderace, which is as much of a Fire Type as Protean Greninja is a Water or Dark Type. That is just specific to FWG but I am sure similar could be said for DFS which I also believe was a lot more solid in ORAS/USUM. I do agree generally with what Marilli has said above, that this meta is not really about the traditional type groupings and more that they are a secondary result of adding pokemon that fulfill a purpose on the team. Typing in general I do think has been nerfed as a general requirement due to Dynamax and the prominence of Weakness Policy which turns traditional gameplay elements on their head. One of my personal favourite things that I have been playing around with is doubling up weaknesses in order to bait out certain attacks and therefore proc Weakness Policy. Some people are reluctant to go for Ice Type moves vs. Multiscale intact Dragonite for example or EQ vs. Rhyperior so having another pokemon that is less likely to hold WP and then switching from that pokemon into a WP user with the same weakness can be a funny way to win.

I do like the overall thread and good job on it.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
It should be noted that unlike previous generations where Zapdos was relatively easy for most cores to deal with, the overwhelming presence of Zapdos is a major issue for FWG cores so they are relatively rarely seen. When they are seen, often it is with Cinderace, which is as much of a Fire Type as Protean Greninja is a Water or Dark Type. That is just specific to FWG but I am sure similar could be said for DFS which I also believe was a lot more solid in ORAS/USUM. I do agree generally with what Marilli has said above, that this meta is not really about the traditional type groupings and more that they are a secondary result of adding pokemon that fulfill a purpose on the team. Typing in general I do think has been nerfed as a general requirement due to Dynamax and the prominence of Weakness Policy which turns traditional gameplay elements on their head. One of my personal favourite things that I have been playing around with is doubling up weaknesses in order to bait out certain attacks and therefore proc Weakness Policy. Some people are reluctant to go for Ice Type moves vs. Multiscale intact Dragonite for example or EQ vs. Rhyperior so having another pokemon that is less likely to hold WP and then switching from that pokemon into a WP user with the same weakness can be a funny way to win.

I do like the overall thread and good job on it.
Definitely agree with Marilli, my justification for the typing cores is that they are in terms that are easy for newcomers/bss outsiders to understand. But because they are relatively weak, you see only 3 fwg cores listed, which I believe are especially weak in the current metagame as they all struggle against Zapdos. I think there is still a place for DSF, but regardless, i believe there are quite a few mons that are super underrepresented, in particular nihilego and urshifu, that dont fit the current groupings, and when I think of a good way to introduce them in a core grouping, thatll be my first change to this thread.

Definitely agree with Marilli, my justification for the typing cores is that they are in terms that are easy for newcomers/bss outsiders to understand. But because they are relatively weak, you see only 3 fwg cores listed, which I believe are especially weak in the current metagame as they all struggle against Zapdos. I think there is still a place for DSF, but regardless, i believe there are quite a few mons that are super underrepresented, in particular nihilego and urshifu, that dont fit the current groupings, and when I think of a good way to introduce them in a core grouping, thatll be my first change to this thread.
Leads have always been a difficult one to place even within USUM unless they really directly feed into a certain core (take Hippo + Mega Salamence as an example from a previous gen) so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Perhaps instead you could concentrate on the lead meta and what each of them bring to the table.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Legendary Cores for Series 8 (WIP). For more information on Series 8 Cores, check out this video

Zacian Cores

:zacian: +:quagsire: Helps combat Ditto copying, which is an obvious counterplay to the strongest Pokemon in the game.​
:zacian: +:lapras: Lapras beats opposing Quagsire, and can set screens for Zacian to take advantage of with its surprisingly hefty bulk. Also a switch-in for Scarf Kyogre​
:zacian: +:zapdos: +:seismitoad: Zapdos is often physically defensive, designed to live 2 hits and get off a paralysis. Seismitoad is then the dynamaxer of choice, putting pressure on the mons Zacian and Zapdos cant beat.​

Eternatus Cores

:eternatus: +:landorus-therian: Landorus provides a variety of options on Eternatus teams, from either being a defensive pivot to offensive Ground-types that scare off Eternatus, or an offensive Dynamax threat to pair with the Dynamax-less Eternatus.​
:eternatus: +:quagsire:+ :chansey: The classic stall core, with Eternatus providing the team relief against Dynamax attackers and overall offensive pressure. Blissey can be opted for over to get a more potent Dynamax threat, although Dynamax isnt necessarily needed outside of stalling opposing Dynamax.​
:eternatus: +:tyranitar: +:skarmory: OR:celesteela: Tyranitar has a strong diversity of resistances when paired with Eternatus, checking a plethora of attackers. Both Celesteela and Skarmory provide a strong switch-in to Ground-types, the one shared weakness of the two, with Celesteela being a slightly more offensive option and Dynamax candidate, and Skarmory being an Iron Defense setup option.​

Kyogre Cores

:kyogre: +:ferrothorn: + :zapdos: They all have amazing type synergy and top notch bulk together. Ferrothorn can also wallbreak against fat teams that hard wall Kyogre with Body Press / Iron Defense. Zapdos provides a pivot for Ferrothorn and Kyogre, who both discourage Ground-types from being selected, giving free Volt Switch options.​
:kyogre: +:excadrill: +:zapdos: Rain set by Kyogre surprisingly helps Excadrill, allowing it to bounce Heat Wave from Zapdos and set up sandstorm via Max Rockfall for a sweep. Zapdos provides a Grass-type check and can similarly benefit from rain giving it 100% accuracy Hurricane.​

Yveltal Cores

:yveltal: +:hippowdon: +:excadrill: Hippowdon can set up rocks and disrupt to assist in a Yveltal sweep. Also can provide a check to Zacian who can give Yveltal trouble if its not at +1 speed yet. It also enables Excadrill, which can sweep in the right conditions, and provides a check to Zapdos.​
:yveltal: +:shedinja: +:chansey: Shedinja is a guaranteed switch in to Kyogre and almost every Zacian, two pokemon which would otherwise trouble this core. Chansey covers a relatively notable Zapdos weakness.​

Dusk Mane Cores

:necrozma-dusk-mane: +:regieleki: Regieleki sets screens and outspeeds Kyogre and +1 Yveltal, two pokemon that could otherwise give Dusk Mane huge fits.​
:necrozma-dusk-mane: +:landorus-therian: Landorus-T can set Rocks and soften blows against Physical attackers, particularly those with Earthquake coverage, to assist in Dusk Mane's sweep.​
:necrozma-dusk-mane: +:tapu-fini: Tapu Fini is good at pressuring Dark-types, and can help Dusk Mane avoid status while setting up.​

Calyrex-Shadow Cores

:calyrex-shadow: + :cinderace: OR :urshifu: Calyrex can go off without needing to worry too much about Ditto, who will be punished by a priority Sucker Punch by Cinderace or Urshifu when Calyrex goes down.​
:calyrex-shadow: + :tyranitar: Tyranitar also has Dark coverage like the teammates above, but can also set rocks and has Sandstorm chip to help Calyrex beat Focus Sash users. It can also cover Ditto copying by taking little against Calyrex-Shadow copies.​
:calyrex-shadow: + :zapdos: + :azumarill: This core gives Calyrex multiple switch-ins to Urshifu, and is purposely ambiguous as to which Pokemon will be Dynamaxed. Zapdos is usually run as a physically defensive pivot, and Azumarill is usually used with an Assault Vest.​

Calyrex-Ice Cores

:calyrex-ice: + :mimikyu: Mimikyu can set Trick Room for Calyrex to maximize HP conserved on it, or can work as a 1 v 1 trader for when Calyrex faints and you need to win a 1 v 1 at the end.​
:calyrex-ice: + :regieleki: + :cinderace: OR :charizard: Regieleki sets screens and outspeeds Kyogre and +1 Yveltal. This enables either Calyrex-Ice to set up Trick Room for an attempted sweep, or for a Fire sweeper to do as much damage as possible to potential Calyrex checks like Ferrothorn and Zacian.​

Ho-Oh Cores

:ho-oh: + :quagsire: OR :gastrodon: + :ferrothorn: Ho-oh can take Grass coverage well for the Water-Ground Pokemon, and allows for easy pivoting with HDB + Regenerator combo easing pressure. Quagsire and Gastrodon in turn help with physical and special coverage, whichever Ho-oh is not invested in, as well as take Electric-type attacks. Ferrothorn completes the FWG core and can help whittle down opponents with hazards.​
:ho-oh: + :tyranitar: Another good physical/special wall duo, Tyranitar takes hits from Nihilego, Zapdos, and Calyrex-Shadow, while Ho-oh can take on Rillaboom, Ferrothorn, and Cinderace/Zacian (to an extent, need to be careful playing around the last two)​
Xerneas Cores

:xerneas: + :cinderace: Cinderace beats Steel-types and gives a secondary Dynamax threat that scares off checks to Xerneas like Zacian and Ferrothorn.​
:xerneas: + :regieleki: Regieleki sets screens and can also initially wallbreak/use Explosion to swap in Xerneas cleanly.​
:xerneas: + :ditto: Ditto is a top-notch counterplay option to Zacian, which is an obvious answer to Xerneas.​

Zygarde Cores

:zygarde: + :chansey: + :quagsire: OR :shedinja: Traditional stall core that can beat out most offenses, with Shedinja being able to hard wall Zacian and Calyrex-Ice. Zygarde with Sub/Coil sets up a decent endgame, and Rest can be used to timer stall.​
Dialga Cores

:dialga: + :zapdos: Dialga serves as a check to Nihilego and Tyranitar, two of Zapdos' hardest matchups, and Zapdos can mostly run over the rest of the meta.​
:dialga: + :landorus-therian: Good type synergy with Landorus covering the two main weaknesses of Dialga, Ground- and Fighting-type attacks. Otherwise high power level for both of them.​

Kyruem-Black Cores

:kyurem-black: + :regieleki: Regieleki can either set screens to help Kyu-B set up, or Kyu-B can check Pokemon like Landorus-T, and also bring up Electric Terrain to help Regieleki clean at endgame.​
:kyurem-black: + :hippowdon: OR :landorus-therian: Hippowdon or Landorus-T set Stealth Rocks and can disrupt opposing teams, helping Kyu-B sweep.​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)