pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus

Name: Bruxish
Pokedex Number - 779
Water / Psychic
Base Stats* - 68 HP / 105 Atk / 70 Def / 70 SAtk / 70 SDef / 92 Spe

Abilities
Ability 1 - Dazzling: Makes the opposing Pokemon unable to attack using priority moves.
Ability 2 - Strong Jaw: Increases the power of biting moves by 33%.
Hidden Ability - Wonder Skin: Reduces the accuracy of status moves to 50%

Coverage for STABs: Super Effective: Fighting, Fire, Ground, Poison, Rock
Neutral: Bug, Dark, Dragon, Electric, Fairy, Flying, Ghost, Grass, Ice, Normal, Psychic, Steel, Water
Resists: None

Defensive Typing: Weaknesses: Bug, Dark, Electric, Ghost, Grass
Resistances: Fighting, Fire, Ice, Psychic, Steel, Water
Immunities: None

Level Up

L1 - Water Gun
L4 - Astonish
L9 - Confusion
L12 - Bite
L17 - Aqua Jet
L20 - Disable
L25 - Psywave
L28 - Crunch
L33 - Aqua Tail
L36 - Screech
L41 - Psychic Fangs
L44 - Synchronoise

TMs

TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM08 - Bulk Up
TM09 - Venoshock
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM12 - Taunt
TM13 - Ice Beam
TM14 - Blizzard
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM55 - Scald
TM56 - Fling
TM63 - Embargo
TM66 - Payback
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM75 - Swords Dance
TM79 - Frost Breath
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM92 - Trick Room
TM94 - Surf
TM98 - Waterfall
TM100 - Confide

Egg moves

Egg - Water Pulse
Egg - Poison Fang
Egg - Ice Fang
Egg - Rage

Analysis: Not the best mon, but solid offensive typing, access to multiple good abilities, decent Speed and Attack, and virtual inability to be revenge killed means that Bruxish has some solid things going for it.

(fish) (Swords Dance):
Bruxish @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Dazzling / Strong Jaw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Psychic Fangs
- Waterfall / Taunt / Crunch

Bruxish's decent speed stat and Dazzling and Aqua Jet make it very hard to revenge kill, so a Swords Dance set was my original thought. The coolest thing about this set is unlike Azumarill, it doesn't get walled by mega venu or amoonguss, so that's pretty cool. This is why I've slashed Lum Berry as an option. Strong Jaw can also be used, but Dazzling looks better for this set in order to make revenge killing difficult. Aqua Jet + Psychic Fangs give great neutral coverage; Psychic Fangs hits really hard with STAB and Strong Jaw. Waterfall or Crunch can be used as a final coverage move, Crunch hitting mons such as slowbro and starmie and Taunt is an option to destroy stall and avoid 50/50s.

Choice Attacker:
Bruxish @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
- Psychic Fangs
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Crunch / Ice Fang

Bruxish's ability to run a Choice item is OK. As soon as I know if Psychic Fangs is a biting move I will update this but for now assuming it is. If it is a biting move, then a lot of the time Bruxish will just click Psychic Fangs, which for it hits very hard, especially with a choice band. Some common Psychic resists are either 2HKO'd or 3HKO'd depending on which ones if its band strong jaw psychic fangs. Ice Fang can be used for switches such as Tangrowth and to 2HKO Defensive Lando-T, while Crunch is used for switchins such as Slowbro.

Edit: Psychic Fangs Strong Jaw is now 100% CONFIRMED.

Conclusion: Overall, while I don't think Bruxish has much of a niche in OU (I could be wrong), it definitely has a niche in lower tiers and I don't see this dropping below RU. Others may think differently, but this Pokemon's decent speed tier, good offensive typing, and difficulty to be revenge killed will make it a solid option.

Last edited:
This thing seems pretty okay. I thought Psychic Fangs was a biting move but apparently it's not flagged as such on Showdown cause I only did like 70% to a Toxapex with Choice Band Bruxish. I did the calcs and it's would do 95% to physically defensive Toxapex.

Anyways I think Strong Jaw will be the most popular ability, assuming Psychic Fangs gets the boost. Dazzling will be a niche option that will be extremely satisfying to fuck over your opponent with, especially if Strong Jaw becomes popular. Imagine how it would feel to lose a game because your Sucker Punch failed since you ran into the one person ever running Dazzling Bruxish. It would be horrible.

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
This thing seems pretty okay. I thought Psychic Fangs was a biting move but apparently it's not flagged as such on Showdown cause I only did like 70% to a Toxapex with Choice Band Bruxish. I did the calcs and it's would do 95% to physically defensive Toxapex.

Anyways I think Strong Jaw will be the most popular ability, assuming Psychic Fangs gets the boost. Dazzling will be a niche option that will be extremely satisfying to fuck over your opponent with, especially if Strong Jaw becomes popular. Imagine how it would feel to lose a game because your Sucker Punch failed since you ran into the one person ever running Dazzling Bruxish. It would be horrible.
it's not flagged on showdown currently, I've filed to get that fixed.

I'm trying to get excited about Bruxish but it looks like it just doesn't have the firepower to compete with the usual OU heavy hitters. Strong Jaw will be a viable ability in lower tiers, for sure, but I don't think we'll see any biting sets in OU. It lacks the bulk for me to forgive 2HKOs, and lacks the speed to win duels where it needs to 2HKO. If you're thinking of running SJ Bruxish...you know, Starmie does exist.

Dazzle has potential though. Bruxish is a threat to choice-locked priority spammers like Azumarill and shuts down Conkeldurr hard. She also has decent bulk against Shadow Sneak Gallade or MGallade thanks to resistances; she'll win the duel barring misses or weird sets, but will be pretty neutered afterward. May be worth depending on the enemy's team, but in OU I don't think having a useless fish on your team is better than something like a Gengar who can switch in on a Close Combat and fire off a Shadow Ball. And I guess Shadow Sneak isn't that common on Gallade anyway.

92 Speed is respectable but many of the priority spammers she's supposed to handle are naturally faster than she is, and she needs to invest in Attack to see the kinds of damage numbers that would make her worth running.

My main issue with Bruxish is that yes, she's a safe switch-in to anyone who uses a priority move, but she doesn't provide anything beyond that. She doesn't threaten priority users enough to justify her lower stats, and running Strong Jaw removes that anti-priority advantage.

NOW. IF you CONSTANTLY lose to a priority Choice locked spammer hiding behind dual screens? Bruxish is your QUEEN. SLAY mama. YAAAS.

Bruxish @ Waterium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rain Dance
- Psychic Fangs
- Aqua Tail

Bruxish isnt that good but this set allows it to do major damage to almost anything. When your set up at +2/+1, plus Strongs Jaw and a boost to your water moves it can easily sweep late game. I would definitely recommend to try this set out. You outspeed almost everything at +1 besides scarfers.

Bruxish @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet

I've been using this set couple of times and I think it is doing pretty in my opinion. Running sd on this because it is good to run it on that. Crunch with strong jaws and sd that move will hit like a powerhouse. Then waterfall on it is the strongest psychical water move on it, and aqua jet some strong prioty on it seems nice it.

Interesting that it has just enough bulk to take a U-turn from you know what:

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bruxish: 224-264 (81.4 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I've had some good usage out of this set.

Bruxish @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Fang

People seem to think they can leave Toxapex in on Bruxish, and this set OHKOs Tox.

I usually pair it with a SD passer.

Bruxish @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Fang

People seem to think they can leave Toxapex in on Bruxish, and this set OHKOs Tox.

Why use HP evs? It's defenses are pretty damn bad anyway so you might as well get as much speed as possible.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It needs more speed to actually use its ability effectively, which is disappointing since because I like the overall kit. It almost seems like a fully realized Basculin with more emphasis on sweeping. Definitely will have a place in RU or NU

It seems an inferior Sharpedo with something pros and cons:
(+) Higher Def and SpD, despite the marginally lower HP;
(+) STAB Psychic Fangs are useful against Toxapex, which is a popular monster right now;
(-) Lower Spe, and this is importan if you don't have so much bulk;
(-) Lower Atk + Strong Jaw is a good thing to have, but keep in mind that you start with a base 105 and not with 120 + Speed Boost;
(-) No access to Mega evolution makes this thing even more outclassed than Sharpedo as a glass cannon.

252 Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 292-344 (70 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
224+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Ice Fang vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 384-456 (92 - 109.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Sadly Mega Sharpedo outdamages Bruxish and I want to remember you that regular Sharpedo has no place in OU.

The fact that most of the suggested sets in this thread are advocating for Strong Jaw over Dazzling really shows what waste such an objectively spectacular ability is on a Pokemon like this. In fact that seems to be common theme this gen. Tons of wicked abilities like Stakeout, Dazzling, and Merciless that don't get to show their true potential due to being restricted to 1 evolutionary family that isn't well equipped to abuse them.

Seriously though. What's a fish with base 92 Speed gonna do with Dazzling? With modest speed like that, many Pokemon are gonna act before you even without priority. But I should keep in mind that this thing isn't exactly gonna be storming the OU fight club. If it becomes RU or NU, perhaps the ability will see more use there as speed tiers won't be as competitive. Still a huge waste though.

The fact that most of the suggested sets in this thread are advocating for Strong Jaw over Dazzling really shows what waste such an objectively spectacular ability is on a Pokemon like this. In fact that seems to be common theme this gen. Tons of wicked abilities like Stakeout, Dazzling, and Merciless that don't get to show their true potential due to being restricted to 1 evolutionary family that isn't well equipped to abuse them.
not to mention liquid voice

I just want to predict that this Pokemon having basically a 100 Acc, 85*1,5~ 127 Basepower-No Drawback Move alongside 'STAB' Crunch, Ice Fang, Poison Fang is going to push this thing in high availability in low tier.

It has no Place in OU, however

Quick question: does dazzling block all opponents' priority moves in doubles aimed at both teammates, or just Bruxish? If it does block for both teammates, then I would think that dazzling would be the preferred ability in doubles for blocking stuff like fake out. In singles. strong jaw would have to be the best choice, because bruxish resists a lot of common priority moves (like aqua jet, mach punch, and bullet punch). Also, as HiddenFreezer pointed out, strong jaw basically gives bruxish a stabbed double edge without the recoil, plus making other moves more viable like crunch and ice fang.

I only wish that brutish was more viable, but it just doesn't have the stuff for OU, I'm fairly sure

Quick question: does dazzling block all opponents' priority moves in doubles aimed at both teammates, or just Bruxish? If it does block for both teammates, then I would think that dazzling would be the preferred ability in doubles for blocking stuff like fake out. In singles. strong jaw would have to be the best choice, because bruxish resists a lot of common priority moves (like aqua jet, mach punch, and bullet punch). Also, as HiddenFreezer pointed out, strong jaw basically gives bruxish a stabbed double edge without the recoil, plus making other moves more viable like crunch and ice fang.

I only wish that brutish was more viable, but it just doesn't have the stuff for OU, I'm fairly sure
Dazzling protects its allies as well as itself.

Bruxish @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Fang

I use the exact same set aside from the EVs, but I think it benefits from speed EVs more than HP. With 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe it actually outspeeds quite a few threatening mons and generally gets off a good chunk of damage.

Despite the very middling speed tier, Dazzling does mean that Bruxish's Aqua Jet will always go before any other move in the game. It's an incredibly useful tool, though as many others in the thread likely realize, it's hard to justify giving up a team slot for a tool that will only come into play sometimes, in a few games, and that's assuming the Pokémon you need to beat can even be KO'd by Aqua Jet.

That said, it could be a nice tool in 3v3 Battle Spot where battles come down to 'last priority user' very often, but again, it's just not primed for a 6v6, high tier metagame!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)