Pokémon Breloom

Base Stats: 60 HP / 130 Atk / 80 Def / 60 SpA / 60 SpD / 70 Spe
Abilities: Effect Spore | Poison Heal | Technician (H)
Notable Moves:
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Rock Tomb
- Bulldoze
- Bulk Up
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot
- Bulldoze

Pros:
- Invaluable access to the extremely powerful Spore.
- Powerful Fighting type priority in Mach Punch in a meta where many of the top dogs are weak to Fighting.
- New access to Gunk Shot allows Breloom to finally have something to hit opposing Grass types and Fairy types hard.
- New access to powerful spammable STAB in Close Combat.
- Exists in SV instead of not (in SS)

Cons:
- Poor defensive stats and mediocre speed.
- Severely limited by 4MSS and tends to always have gaping holes in terms of coverage regardless of what you pick.
- Can sometimes rely on keeping Sash intact to function.

Potential Sets:
Technician Attacker
Breloom @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed / Close Combat / Gunk Shot
- Swords Dance / Rock Tomb / Bulldoze

Honestly the main selling point of Breloom in the current meta is its comically powerful Mach Punch. Some of the premier offensive threats in the metagame such as Moon, Iron Bundle, Chien-Pao and Chi-Yu are weak to Fighting and get outright OHKOed. Several other offensive threats like Iron Valiant, Fluttering Mane and Palafin are also kept in check by Spore if Sash is intact. Speaking of Spore, in the currently limited pool of available mons, there is a noticeable lack of good Sleep Absorbers, which means the funny Green button is always going to be putting something out of commission.

The new moves Breloom get in Gunk Shot, Close Combat and Bulldoze are also pretty interesting. Gunk Shot is especially notable for taking down defensive Grass types like Amoonguss, who may not be common now, but could potentially see a resurgeance once the meta settles down. Close Combat's raw power currently feels like overkill because everything already dies to Mach Punch, but is certainly a great consistent choice. Bulldoze is the least interesting one imo, as Rock Tomb does the same thing and has superior coverage, but at least it is 100% accurate I guess.

Additional tips:
- The new Loaded Dice item can be an option if using Bullet Seed for improve the consistency of the move, especially once the meta slows down. Particularly brutal against Tera Garganacl which has been popping up recently.
- Against Chien-Pao, make sure to scout for Ice Shard / Sucker Punch if your Sash isn't intact.

Choiced Attacker
Breloom @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Close Combat / Spore
- Gunk Shot / Rock Tomb

Choice Band coupled with Tera Fighting can really superpower up Mach Punch to astronomical levels, which is quite valuable in an hyper offensive metagame that we have at the moment. Even something as bulky as 248/0 Iron Treads get cleanly OHKOed by Mach Punch, which is honestly kinda terrifying. The increase in damage over the LO/Sash variant allows Breloom to kill something like Quaqualval and Baxcalibur in the Snow from 100-0.

Other significant feats include being able to cleanly 2HKO 252/252+ Ting-Lu (OHKO with CC), taking down Palafin from 60-70% while resisting Jet Punch, and even resists like Iron Valiant take up to 48% from Mach Punch if it tries to take advantage of the Choice lock for an SD.

Dynamax Potential:
-
If running Sash, Mach Punch barely misses the OHKO on several threats without prior chip, so the additional boost can be really crucial in securing those kills. Not really a priority Tera target, but does come up if you really need to secure the KO.
- Any type that grants some type of immunity can be really valuable because it allows you to keep your Sash intact for one more turn. Some typings I have tried including Normal, Ghost and Fairy. Certain useful, but not the best.

Other Options
A Poison Heal set can be situationally usable I guess. I don't necessarily think it is that good, but it does offer an extremely powerful Facade if allowed to Tera Normal I guess.

Last edited:
I think it’s worth mentioning isn’t a reliable offensive answer since Chien-Pao has Ice Shard and outspeeds it naturally.

The CB set is probably the most effective right now, in part because everyone expects Sash Spore. IMO the real threat of this Pokemon comes from the fact that its two sets have such different checks and counters. I don't think I've had a game where it hasn't taken down one or two Pokemon.

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
How are people using the Loaded Dice set rn? I'm running the very obvious Sash Spore which is effective as an anti-lead and Mach Punch spammer, but I'd really like to switch to Loaded Dice asap. Running SD/Rock Tomb and/or Spore?

First of all, very glad my boy got the recognition he deserved to make top 20 usage.
Personally, I feel that Band is the best set currently mainly because various flavors of potato (salt and cheese) are on every other team to be able to eat up the Spore.

The main things Loom needed Sash to check either got banned (Mane, Hound), or runs Ice Shard less frequently than its other priority (Chien-Pao).
Still has good matchups like Nite, but keeping Sash intact just feels less reliable than the start of the gen when I put up the OP.

Close Combat is obviously Close Combat, but I certainly underestimate its power a bit initially because I thought "it can't be that much better than Superpower since you are gonna be forced out anyway". Well, except as the meta slows down, and stall cores picking up in usage, CC allows Breloom to just 2HKO every popular stall core, which is kinda nuts.

As for Loaded Dice, it's certainly still viable, but personally I just like Band more at the moment because even 2 hits on Banded Bullet Seed is enough to 2HKO Dondozo, whereas 4-5 hits Loaded Dice does not actually guarantee am OHKO.

As for Loaded Dice, it's certainly still viable, but personally I just like Band more at the moment because even 2 hits on Banded Bullet Seed is enough to 2HKO Dondozo, whereas 4-5 hits Loaded Dice does not actually guarantee am OHKO.
I think Loaded Dice is better in a Meta where there are a lot of subs to be dealt, save for this specific scenario with Cyclizar since Breloom's speed hurts the "offensive behind Sub" set-up compared to "defensive or just-formed-now Sub breaking"

Probably would also help if he just had other multi-hit moves worth running like Arm Thrust (Weaker than CC even after Technician but trying to think here) or Rock Blast. I see it being more useful to sets doing things like SubSpore that would have a reasonable chance of staying in multiple turns, compared to Band being for 1-2 turn breaking and then swapping because of Breloom's speed.

I see it being more useful to sets doing things like SubSpore that would have a reasonable chance of staying in multiple turns, compared to Band being for 1-2 turn breaking and then swapping because of Breloom's speed.
Really curious about the set you are referring to, if you don't mind sharing.
Are you running Poison Heal over Technician?
Poison Heal with Spore/Sub/CC/Gunk Shot was something I tried near the start of the generation, but dropped eventually as Gholdengo started to see its spike in usage.

Currently, I'm just not a really fan of any Breloom set that has no way to threaten Gholdengo which is on every other team, but I can see it being good in teams that already have ways of dealing of the cheese man.

the set that I almost always run is:
Breloom @ Loaded Dice
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

I fucking love how breloom is actually able to abuse loaded dice.
thanks to the technician ability and the loaded dice, bullet seed is basically the equivalent of 150-187.5 base power STAB move.
this pokemon is a force to be recconed with.
who needs coverage?

Last edited:
Breloom is being slept on badly. It has among the most powerful priority in the whole game which allows it to check some of the scariest offensive threats in OU. Spore also usually allows it to shutdown one of your opponents pokemon, so it's essentially 6-5. The prevalence of Gholdengo does knock it down a little bit, but it is 2koed by Bulldoze. It's on the slower side and frail but it's still a beast.

Here's the set I always run

:breloom:
Bullet Bonnet (Breloom) @ Loaded Dice
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Force Palm
- Rock Tomb

Technician Loaded Dice Bullet Seed is absolutely nothing to sneeze at. A 150 to 187.5 BP STAB move that breaks through sub and sash is very scary. Even if Loaded Dice only helps Bullet Seed here, the rest of his moveset is also carried by Technician. Mach Punch does what it does, 90BP Force Palm over Close Combat has a chance to paralyze the opponent, helping provide speed control, giving a chance to Breloom to outspeed potentially faster opponents, and make the opposing mons lose some turns. Rock Tomb helps counter flying types and drops the opponent's speed, making it easier for Breloom to counterattack. Tera Rock goes great here to provide Breloom some great resistances against flying, fire, and poison types, as well as boosting Rock Tomb's power.

It's really fun to play and I think deserves a try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)